Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

big cummers ONLY posted:

couple of questions I couldn't easily find answered on reddit. I'm leveling with Sever and blighted corpse explosion

- Is there a cap on how many blighted corpse explosion pools will stack damage on one enemy?
- Are there any tricks to helping minions stay alive? i notice you can't spam corpses to heal. I'm assuming it's because the heal is an unstackable buff? The build I'm aiming for uses cold mages and sacrifices the normal skellies and golem. I'm hoping it's easier to keep just mages alive.

There's +minion health affixes, and you can take the passive that prevents minions from taking %x of their full health in a single hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

smoobles posted:

they can get it done in 3 without weekends or poop breaks

whomst amongst us hasn't soiled a diaper to meet a work deadline

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Game of the Year 2023 was claimed by Pizza Tower in fuckin' January. :smug: Absolute alpha chad power move to assert dominance.

Cool to hear other Sorcs talking up Chain Lightning to 90. I love my bouncy bolt.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Carbot owns. Looking forward to many more of these cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQgClzAl0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ewK0bq77c

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a short video or primer out there that explains resistances and armor? Feels like I keep seeing conflicting info on them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually thought I would never see an armor system more pointlessly over complicated than the one from Grim Dawn but D4 really took the cake.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Jimbot posted:

Is there a short video or primer out there that explains resistances and armor? Feels like I keep seeing conflicting info on them.

basically the jist is "Resistances aren't bad, but they scale so little that having anymore from Int and whatever you get on Jewellery isn't worth it, while Armor is so stupidly good that it something feels unintentional about it on some level."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My educated guess is over the seasons armor will get worse and residences will get better

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Sourdough Sam posted:

Carbot owns. Looking forward to many more of these cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQgClzAl0M

Lmao that barb WW

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

basically the jist is "Resistances aren't bad, but they scale so little that having anymore from Int and whatever you get on Jewellery isn't worth it, while Armor is so stupidly good that it something feels unintentional about it on some level."

Alrighty, thanks.

They really need to rebalance Whisper rewards. Doing this poo poo on Tier IV and getting worthless rares and little else. I have yet to see an ancestral piece drop from those caches. Even the sacreds are lovely. Like 100+ "item power" nonsense lower than crap I find in the world.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Getting burnt out on the cow quest.

So have a himbo pitlord

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jimbot posted:

Alrighty, thanks.

They really need to rebalance Whisper rewards. Doing this poo poo on Tier IV and getting worthless rares and little else. I have yet to see an ancestral piece drop from those caches. Even the sacreds are lovely. Like 100+ "item power" nonsense lower than crap I find in the world.

Yeah I'm in the low 60s and was hoping for a couple of ancestrals from the tree as I try to get into WT4 without getting murdered and all the rewards have sucked. I thought maybe it was just me, or maybe there is a minimum level to get the good poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’m pretty sure the proportion of normal/sacred/ancestral is altered by your level in addition to being limited by difficulty yeah.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

I one-shot nearly everything in WT3 now but I'm still not good enough to do WT4

Balance once you get beyond WT3 into Torment is just....not great in general. If you're not playing a meta build then you're going to have a rough time, particularly as you get into the mid 60's and 70's.

It feels a little like they're so worried about power creep getting to D3 levels that everything ends up feeling underpowered.

If I'm being honest I wish we could get past a fixation on things being "balanced" in games like this (which feels like an excuse to incline the treadmill to keep engagement up) and just lean into poo poo being fun. That's when D3 got good, and I engaged with that game plenty over the years!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

How! posted:

I wish almost every skill had a corresponding unique item. I keep getting things that sound fun to use, except either the skill is kind of bad, or just isn’t in my build.

There’s no firewall unique, but there IS one that makes fireball skip twice or something. But it only procs if you cast it.

I do really enjoy the aspect that sends down a hail of baby meteors that burn every time you proc meteor, combined with another one that makes meteors render enemies immobile. Using meteor and fireball in the enchantment spots let’s me just spew fire everywhere by casting hydra and firewall. Firewall has a .3% change to proc a meteor with every tic, and then if you stack lucky hit % it can get pretty good.

I’m able to clear dungeons 7 levels over my current one (62 WT3) My big vulnerability is mobility, but I only use about 1-2 revives on a particular bad run. Mostly I panic and open the map instead of using a potion lol.

Games fun. I want the witch doctor back.

If you ever want to switch to cold the meteor enchant on blizz / ice shards is also excellent

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I was absolutely not playing a meta build either with my sorc or currently with my rogue and I have not noticed that at all. Some skills are definitely better than others, and some definitely suck for sure, but I think there’s good odds you have to optimize your gear and supporting skills better.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'm only level 56 and haven't seen a single ancestral item. Did get the bone spear unique helmet though so switched over to that which is kind of super good despite not having the stuff that makes it absurd I think. Right now my only real beef is that the ilvl range of the gear I'm getting is really wide, even within sacred stuff, so I get a lot of garbage that's not very good.

Still a fun game though. Just kind of grinding through renown stuff a small bit at a time. Scosglen is kind of huge.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

TheSwizzler posted:

There's +minion health affixes, and you can take the passive that prevents minions from taking %x of their full health in a single hit

It feels like that passive doesn't work consistently. I tried to make skeletons work on WT4 and it was mostly doable except that a fire enchanted elite will pretty much instantly destroy all of your minions no matter what. Definitely doesn't feel like 20% max life per hit.

Also as someone who literally has a cognitive disability this thread has been a great read. Love to know that a bunch of folks basically think I'm subhuman because I might want to look at a build guide to help figure out video game maths sometimes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im not at wt4 yet so i might change my mind but whatever it winds up being like i cant imagine it being worse than in d2 where you spend the first two tiers running a single damage type and then have to respec to a dual damage type for the final tier and even then theres just some areas you cant farm

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It is absolutely nothing close to having a bad build in D2 Hell.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is bow or daggers better for leveling a rogue?

Spec into whatever you have the best weapons of and swap back and forth depending on upgrades. It's extremely cheap to respec at the beginning on the game.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Schwawa posted:

It feels like that passive doesn't work consistently. I tried to make skeletons work on WT4 and it was mostly doable except that a fire enchanted elite will pretty much instantly destroy all of your minions no matter what. Definitely doesn't feel like 20% max life per hit.

Also as someone who literally has a cognitive disability this thread has been a great read. Love to know that a bunch of folks basically think I'm subhuman because I might want to look at a build guide to help figure out video game maths sometimes.

Fire enchants are bastards I've noticed in general. It's probably one of the enemy affixes that'll get looked at in a future patch

I also have a cognitive disability, to me it's pretty clear nobody's saying you're a subhuman for using guides, the criticism and mockery seems pretty laser-focused on people who trying to hyper-optimize based on what popular streamers say or are running the "most efficient" dungeon over and over and are complaining that they're not having fun.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

It is absolutely nothing close to having a bad build in D2 Hell.

yeah immunities make D2 incredibly tedious for me once you hit hell

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

TheSwizzler posted:

Fire enchants are bastards I've noticed in general. It's probably one of the enemy affixes that'll get looked at in a future patch

I also have a cognitive disability, to me it's pretty clear nobody's saying you're a subhuman for using guides, the criticism and mockery seems pretty laser-focused on people who trying to hyper-optimize based on what popular streamers say or are running the "most efficient" dungeon over and over and are complaining that they're not having fun.

feels like an incredibly charitable reading to me but sure, whatever

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Astryl posted:

Getting burnt out on the cow quest.

So have a himbo pitlord

It came out covered in lotion

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
What factors limit where you can apply an extracted aspect? I extracted something from a ring, and when I look at in my inventory it says the aspect is allowed for various item types including amulets:

But I'm trying to apply it to another amulet (also Sacred, if that makes a difference), and I can't select this aspect. I can't select any aspect in my inventory, only my codex. What gives?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

What factors limit where you can apply an extracted aspect? I extracted something from a ring, and when I look at in my inventory it says the aspect is allowed for various item types including amulets:

But I'm trying to apply it to another amulet (also Sacred, if that makes a difference), and I can't select this aspect. I can't select any aspect in my inventory, only my codex. What gives?

Select the box on the right that says “aspect from inventory” instead of the box on the left that says “codex of power”

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It would be so cool if party chat were mirrored on the Battle.net Mobile App (which is a great app in general) for us console users to communicate beyond Yes, No and Follow Me.

I feel like I'm being rude to PC players.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm only level 56 and haven't seen a single ancestral item. Did get the bone spear unique helmet though so switched over to that which is kind of super good despite not having the stuff that makes it absurd I think. Right now my only real beef is that the ilvl range of the gear I'm getting is really wide, even within sacred stuff, so I get a lot of garbage that's not very good.

Pretty sure ancestrals don't drop until WT4, which you probably haven't hit at 56 (if you have, well then I'm definitely overestimating the difficulty and should go for it next time I play). Otherwise, yeah definitely feeling the ilvl range but that's probably from still doing a wide range of stuff - it feels like helltides and higher tier NM dungeons bias drops towards the higher end of the ilvl range and you're meant to do more of those and less whispers/overworld stuff as you switch from "just ascended from the lower tier, establishing yourself" to "filling in gaps, refining gear and build and glyphs, targeting the capstone and the higher tier"?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Nottherealaborn posted:

Select the box on the right that says “aspect from inventory” instead of the box on the left that says “codex of power”

You gotta click the box or press down/right with the controller

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Pretty sure ancestrals don't drop until WT4, which you probably haven't hit at 56 (if you have, well then I'm definitely overestimating the difficulty and should go for it next time I play). Otherwise, yeah definitely feeling the ilvl range but that's probably from still doing a wide range of stuff - it feels like helltides and higher tier NM dungeons bias drops towards the higher end of the ilvl range and you're meant to do more of those and less whispers/overworld stuff as you switch from "just ascended from the lower tier, establishing yourself" to "filling in gaps, refining gear and build and glyphs, targeting the capstone and the higher tier"?

i was helping to level a friend through WT4 and they said they couldn’t equip any ancestral stuff that dropped for them until 60, so even seeing it drop at 57 won’t be doing much

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
What statuses count as "crowd control". I got a unique helmet that adds to lucky hit chance against crowd controlled enemies, but as a flurry rogue I just have poison and vulnerable and I don't know if either of those count or I should keep my barrier helm.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It’s anything that inhibits their movement or actions in some way. Poison and vulnerable don’t do that, but daze, slow, stun, chill, freeze, knock down, those all do.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

drat the jump from T1 to T3 as a Rogue is rough - damage feels good still, but I was already feeling fairly squishy and now I feel like I have to be extremely attentive because I can get spiked down fast as hell. Any tips for feeling a little less fragile without having to sacrifice too much DPS?

So far I think Barbarian and Druid feel the best to play - really chunky, satisfying skills and pretty durable. Rogue is a lot of fun too, zipping around and just melting people is always a good time, though you definitely have to kinda constantly aware of when your movement skill cooldowns and when its time to burn them. Bone Necro is really strong but not really my preferred way to play, and I haven't even tried Sorc yet.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Granstein posted:

Like I said earlier, basically any frost build can work...If it has ice shards. They really need to nerf ice shards and buff basically all the other frost skills. Which is true of...Every element? Firewall seems to be the only fire skill worth using, and arc lash the only lightning skill worth using (Outside of enchantment slots, where there's a bit more variety). That's not to say you can't make some other skills work, but they're all demonstrably weaker for no real reason.

I think a lot of the problem is that, for most classes, the best builds are the ones that can consistently apply vulnerability. Ice shards being able to do that on its own, along with frost nova applying it to groups, means not playing ice shards is just handicapping your damage. My controversial hot take is that vulnerability should flat out be removed from the game and every skill should be balanced upwards in some way to compensate. The way the game works right now just totally revolves around applying vulnerability, stacking vuln damage on items, almost every class taking exploit as one of their first glyphs, etc. It warps the whole game around itself, to the detriment of a lot of skills that can't take advantage of it as well (On top of a lot of skills just having bad damage numbers in and of themselves).

I think the issue is just sources of vulnerable damage being multiplicative. They absolutely seem balanced to be additive with other “damage to enemies with condition x” properties. If vulnerability were “just” a multiplicative +20% damage boost that competed in build space with crowd control, it would be strong, but not so clearly dominant. It’s clear vulnerable damage needs to become additive, maybe some classes can get multiplicative “vulnerability effectiveness” on passives/paragon tree/ legendary affixes, and most skills need to have their damage output significantly buffed to compensate.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

drat the jump from T1 to T3 as a Rogue is rough - damage feels good still, but I was already feeling fairly squishy and now I feel like I have to be extremely attentive because I can get spiked down fast as hell. Any tips for feeling a little less fragile without having to sacrifice too much DPS?

So far I think Barbarian and Druid feel the best to play - really chunky, satisfying skills and pretty durable. Rogue is a lot of fun too, zipping around and just melting people is always a good time, though you definitely have to kinda constantly aware of when your movement skill cooldowns and when its time to burn them. Bone Necro is really strong but not really my preferred way to play, and I haven't even tried Sorc yet.

What build are you playing? I had the same experience going into t3, but after a few levels, it now feels easier than act 6 and the capstone in t2 as long as I’m not getting cced and spiked down.

I used the basic skills give 20% damage reduction aspect and the poisoned enemies do less damage passive. The heal on crit passive is enough for me in terms of sustain, though if you use momentum, there’s a really strong regen aspect that helps a lot there as well.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Yellow gems in armour, focus on full durability stats (-damage from close, -damage, +armour%, life) on chest/legs, skulls in jewellery

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Substandard posted:

What statuses count as "crowd control". I got a unique helmet that adds to lucky hit chance against crowd controlled enemies, but as a flurry rogue I just have poison and vulnerable and I don't know if either of those count or I should keep my barrier helm.

you can also look in the stats page. there is a breakdown that will show what all statuses count

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Take the passive for reduced damage and lifesteal on crit. There's also the poison passives that reduce damage taken. There's plenty of room to take all the defensive passives plus 80% of the offensive ones.

Then get the aspect that reduces damage with basic attack, adds armor when dealing damage, daze when attacking vulnerable, generate barrier when attacking an elite.

You have to be careful when starting a fight but then you're basically unkillable once you get going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Eyes in the Dark, perhaps the only Unique that makes the ability tied to it significantly worse, has now dropped for me three times in a row. I have seen 4 legendary drops. 3 of them have been loving Eyes in the loving Dark.