Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I swear there was a goon here who used an ultra pro card binder(for holding baseball/magic cards in 3x3 sleeve pages) and would put the cash he'd spend on cigarettes in a sleeve every time he resisted going to buy a pack or carton. by the time he considered himself totally free of their pull, he'd amassed something like eight grand in there.

but yeah, also just consider how much longer you'll likely live to enjoy time with your son in his lifetime if you stop smoking/chewing/whatevering tobacco products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i had to sit through an all hands meeting to "welcome" our new ceo to the company

it's the 3rd ceo we've had this year

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Now keep track of how much not buying that stuff saves you and buy that kid the biggest Lego you can find (or whatever they like).

Captain Invictus posted:

I swear there was a goon here who used an ultra pro card binder(for holding baseball/magic cards in 3x3 sleeve pages) and would put the cash he'd spend on cigarettes in a sleeve every time he resisted going to buy a pack or carton. by the time he considered himself totally free of their pull, he'd amassed something like eight grand in there.

but yeah, also just consider how much longer you'll likely live to enjoy time with your son in his lifetime if you stop smoking/chewing/whatevering tobacco products.

That's actually a really good idea, drat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've had a similar transformation financially simply by having a far better job with actual benefits and a workable union. The work is less terrible so I'm stress eating far less (and having more energy for the gym and piano practice), and I'm getting more money in per month on top of that, and I've also rearranged my finances. Before I was breaking even at my prior job as I spent all my extra money on comfort eating which was not helping the stress, and I only had a relatively small amount in my savings account so was barely getting any interest. Now I've been consistently having more money each month than I had the prior month, initially by large chunks as my final pay at my last job overlapped with my first pay at my new one and now it seems to have stabilised at about 200 more each month than I had before (going by the total amount in both accounts) and I've transferred the majority of my money into the savings account (leaving at least a months pay in the main account for safety) and so it's actually getting real interest. It went from 18p every few months because I barely transferred anything, to £6.59 interest accrued last month and this month's interest was £7.36. I might actually end up getting double-digit interest for the first time in my life by the end of the year.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Savings... account? :confused:
:(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Biplane posted:

Savings... account? :confused:
:(

I know right?, I'm finally earning enough to use one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I took a rolled up carpet outside to beat the dog hair, dander and dust out of, and got what I thought was all of it off. then I rolled it back up, and when I picked it up to bring back inside, a clump of dog hair that was still on the edge of it blew straight into my face from the wind and multiple hairs got in my eye including 3 that got under the eyelid, which was like having knives driven through my skull, and I'm allergic so now my eye is bloodshot and swollen. I managed to wash them out quickly but there's still somewhat of a reaction which sucks

I love dogs so much and just being allergic won't stop me from having them and I love my two to death but times like this sure does suck

here are my two wonderful idiots btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYcRLEmWAvo&hd=1

Biplane posted:

That's actually a really good idea, drat.
do it. I did something similar with wasting money on stupid garbage and socked away a few hundred bucks that way.

then I wasted it on going out to eat and stuff, but it was nice knowing I could hold off on spending if I tried!

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Jun 12, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm trying to swap carpeting for hardwood flooring myself in three bedrooms and boy is it hard work. I hate my life. I should have hired someone to do this. Why did I think I can do this. This is crap. I want to scream. I've been working this all day for two days straight and I've gotten maybe 10% of the way there. Oh God.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Some A+ doggos there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marcade posted:

Some A+ doggos there
they are both rescues, noa(the black one)'s owners "lost her due to covid" according to the agency(they won't give details for privacy reasons but based on how she reacts whenever mom is sick, I think her owners might have been old and died of covid because I can't imagine anyone giving up such an amazing dog...) and Gus, the brown one, was born on the streets of texas and lived a likely very rough first year based on all the white spots on his head(which based on previous dogs I've had who have been in fights, seems to be marks from being bitten) and for the first few months we had him didn't even know how to play, because he probably never learned while trying to survive.

He was a week away from being euthanized when we adopted him and had him shipped up to us. he's an incredible dog, just an absolute dingus(where his name comes from), and loves loves loves people. he's got his traumas, and he got in a real serious fight with noa once because she's a "bossy bitch" according to her adoption profile and bullies him sometimes, but he's definitely LEAGUES better than he was when we first adopted him. his only real problem lately is he's too stupid to realize his own size and strength, and he likes to jump at me when playing and has pulled my pants down like half a dozen times catching his claws on them, he's way too good at it.

dogs are the best

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Great dogs, shame about the allergy :(

Hey its me again, back to complain about stuff. A friend and I have been low key thinking about renting a house together out in the sticks, we're both kinda stuck in bad, expensive apartments fairly centrally located, which we both hate. We're pretty similar in how we think and live (at least, I thought so....), we both have a kid 50%, under a year apart in age, who like each other. It kinda seemed like a no brainer to be honest.

Turns out my guy is kind of an rear end in a top hat and an idiot, he was banking on this happening because in his mind, we would have a 24/7 lan party. We are 34 years old, and we both have a kid. In no way is that something you can, or should, hope for. So Im like, what the gently caress, and start digging. Turns out my guy actually just hates being a parent and assumed I did too. Like its totally normal to spend all your time and energy figuring out reasons why your daughter cant come this week, or even worse, when she is there he tells me (proudly! Like its normal!!!!) she wakes up at 7, he sleeps until noon then plays fifa all day while his daughter is sent to her room with an ipad. Again, I'm like, what the gently caress? And then he goes "no no its okay, i was investigated by CPS but they had to close the case due to staffing issues". :dafuq: somehow in his mind that means his neglectful parenting is state sanctioned. And then today he went on a diatribe about Pride and how in general gays are ok but not when he has to know they exist in some fashion. In the span of like four days I have lost all respect I once had for this man and Im pissed because 1) for the first time in a long time I had started sorta planning for the future, and then that plan went bust. And 2) being a friendless loser, this guy was basically the only person I would hang with, we've know each other for over 20 years, now thats over. I can't even look him in the eyes anymore, I'm loving so pissed and disgusted.
Ninja edit: also turns out he spends all his money on fifa points and weed, so his mommy has to send him hundreds of dollars every month to keep the wheels spinning. This is totally sustainable according to him and he did not understand how I could possibly think this was a negative.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please tell me the cps line is an exaggeration

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
See that is why I don't have a kid because I could never put someone else's needs ahead of my own without getting pissy about it at some point. Oh, you want to sign up for soccer AND ballet because your friends are in both?

Many years ago, my friend B told me that his wife had changed her mind about their child-free marriage and wanted a kid. Because her sister had just had the first grandbaby, and all the attention was on her. So his wife wanted that and was sure they wouldn't have to change much of their lives. But B is a manchild. He literally has a spare bedroom that is nothing but his computer and wall to wall DVDs. Curio cabinets full of anime, Disney, Funko Pop figures. Lego poo poo, expensive sets, in glass cases. So no, everything would change. He didn't want a kid, she did. It went back and forth a while until he had an idea: they would have ONE kid, he/she would get the storage space room for a bedroom, and she would be responsible for any care when he wanted to travel every few months. Oh, and he had a list of things they had to do before the baby came. The list was extensive and mostly sexual in nature, stuff she didn't like or want to do, but if she got her way about a kid, he reasoned, he would get his way about all the insane sex stuff he'd always wanted to try and she didn't.

After that she said fine, no kid. And instead of them getting a divorce, she went to their married friend and started an affair, which ended up in their divorce, the friend's divorce, and now my friend B is single. Still a manchild. He's a great uncle to his nieces. But as a dad? We both agree we'd be poo poo parents.

lovely day: bless her soul, my mom has no computer experience beyond Facebook games (to the point when, if one of hers goes down, she wants me to set up a tech support ticket with someone) but any time I have any issues with my computer or anything related to it, she becomes a loving expert. Like I'm trying to check my emails for an order number when I didn't set up an account on this web site, and she helpfully tells me to search my emails. I tell her I'm doing that. She again helpfully tells me to check the junk mail, and then starts prattling on about how to search in emails for something. And if I tell her she isn't helping or give off anything but Massive Gratitude Vibes, she goes into Respect Me mode and starts bitching about my tone and respect.

And today is my brother's birthday. I speak/text him maybe once a year. I have no relationship with him, because years ago he broke into our house, stole money from me and my mom's emergency stash, and I can't remember if it was ever paid back. Not that it matters because he's the kind of guy to snap "Well fine I just NEEDED IT, SORRY, I guess." He wants contact now. Mostly because he has a kid. At least in theory it's his kid. He refuses to get a paternity test, is constantly getting together and breaking up with the kid's mom, and won't get any legal paperwork done. He's not listed on the birth certificate. He does get my mom on the phone sometimes and whines about the mom in question, and when are we gonna meet the baby/toddler, and oh she's pregnant again, and he's not on this certificate either but he won't push for legal rights. Non stop drama. We have sent him money for the kids, for xmas, and I finally convinced my mom to stop doing that, just his birthday and Xmas, a single check if you feel you have to. And then the idiot gives us the wrong address, so she has to cancel the check and send another.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

please tell me the cps line is an exaggeration

Word for word what he said.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

A Bad King posted:

I'm trying to swap carpeting for hardwood flooring myself in three bedrooms and boy is it hard work. I hate my life. I should have hired someone to do this. Why did I think I can do this. This is crap. I want to scream. I've been working this all day for two days straight and I've gotten maybe 10% of the way there. Oh God.

I feel you. I took a week off work to get a few home improvement chores (scraping, painting, replacing rotten siding) done and the moment I pulled the siding I realized I hosed up as the whole door jamb was rotten too. Unlucky for me, you can't walk away once you have a huge hole in your wall. Needless to say after replacing a door there was not as much time for street fighter as I thought I'd get during my pto so now I need another vacation.

Just think about how much money you're saving because the quotes I got were... Not worth the free time I'd earn back.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
You people need some cute animal pictures

edit: thank you imgbb, cute animal pics incoming when I get the hosting to work

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Cowslips Warren posted:

Haven't talked to my friend in almost a month because of her work schedule, but we chatted briefly last night and she said she'd have time tonight so we could catch up. I waited for about an hour before I gave up to bed, turns out her 4-year-old still has her under her thumb because the kid doesn't feel like going to bed at 8:00 and now stays up until 9:00 throwing a fit.

Just reminds me I would be bad as a parent because I would not handle that poo poo, I'd cancel fun after dinner stuff and start bed rituals at 7 so kid was down by 8.

edit: kiddo is apparently having a rough time with weeks-long visit from grandma over, school's out, and dance class ended.

it's been years since I nannied and I took care of kids about that age, and dear gods I hated the time after their grandma would leave because all the usual schedule went loving off, and naptime/routine was loving gone. Grandma didn't care that the kids knew/were being taught to clean up things, nah, just leave poo poo all over, she'll pick it up! You eat whatever you want! Movies all day! No set bedtime.

Quiet Feet posted:

Kiddo was so disruptive in class that I was called in to take her home. They don't normally do this because you don't want a child getting it into their head that they're being rewarded for being awful, but apparently we've unlocked a new tier of "what the gently caress do we even do at this point?"

I'm sure you're tired of getting parenting advice and you're situation is unique but I've been reading Hunt Gather Parent by Michaeleen Doucleff and the strategies in it has been revelatory at getting the kids I work with to behave

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jun 13, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy gently caress I feel like I'm detoxing off heroin over here, can't sleep, sweating like mad, angry as hell. Why is nicotine even a thing. Why did I ever start? Well I know why I started, to look cool at parties LMAO. Good call idiot!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of my oldest friends is renting a room from me and he's been smoking for 20+ years. Every morning he coughs so viciously that it sounds like he's going to throw up.

He's never going to quit and I'm going to be mad as hell when he dies early.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just had 6 teeth extracted

it is uncomfortable

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

just had 6 teeth extracted

it is uncomfortable

drat. Did they at least give you some drugs?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a few days supply of liquid oxycodone but other than that "tylenol and ibuprofen"

it doesn't hurt all that much right now but I'm sure it's gonna suck in a few hours when all the novocaine wears off and the combined suffering of six extractions + bone grafts and like 8 injection sites of novocaine hits me full force like a truck

it's not so much that I had six teeth extracted(all molars on the left side both top and bottom), but rather that I had planned with my dentist to be put out for it. then I showed up to the dental school it was going to be done at and headed to the floor with the surgical wing. go to check in, and...no record of me. nothing for today. so I go to the floor with my main dentist and we figure something out, go back down and get an impromptu extraction set up. but the thing is, the planned appointment was going to have me be put under for the operation, and that's not something they can do willy-nilly, you have to prep for it, no eating for 12+ hours, etc. so instead they injected a bunch of novacaine and went in. I have super deep roots, so it took over two hours to get them all, and towards the end of it the novocaine started to wear off, and I could really feel them trying to pry the last tooth out, to the point I was turning my feet so sideways they were pointing at each other, and clenching my hand around my other wrist so hard that hand started to go numb. but I knew they were right at the end so didn't want to interrupt, and once they got that last root out, it was a relief. then the bone grafting began, which was whatever, and then the suturing. And I hadn't brought my airpods because, well, I wasn't going to be awake for the procedure, so why bring them? so I got to listen without anything to drown out the shattering of six teeth and drilling and all that fun stuff.

now I'm not disparaging the surgeon in any way, she did a phenomenal job because my teeth are a nightmare, one of them broke SEVENTEEN TIMES while she tried to get all of it out, so she had to keep going in, prying it, it breaking, she would drill to weaken the next section, break that off, drill, repeat until she got it all. I feel super awful because she worked through her lunch to finish. I go back to see her for a followup in a week or two so I'm going to bring her a gift of some sort. the price was a lot less than I was expecting, only like $1700 total, so that's not bad either.

BUT THEN!

I get home, and mom tells me that Noa, my wonderful idiot bossy bitch dog, is having serious eye problems out of nowhere. like, she went and sat on the couch when mom got up as normal, and when mom sat down Noa JUMPED because she couldn't even see mom, her eyes were bloodshot and she was keeping them closed all the time today. so after finally making it home from the dentist, I had just enough time to take some painkillers and hop in the car with dad(who had gone with me to the dentist to be an escort since I was going to be anesthetized) and rush over to the vet for an emergency visit while I'm holding a god damned bag of frozen peas to the side of my face. so the appointment went pretty quickly, they think she has some kind of eye infection or possibly immune system response to allergies that is making her eyes super bloodshot and irritated and weeping, so now we have antibiotic eyedrops that we need to give her every 8 hours and I basically get to wrestle her down while mom drops them in. fun!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:stare: I've had some "teeth adventures" during my life, but drat. Hope you and dog heal up quick!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

know what makes a good morning?

woke up from screaming and gun fire from my neighbors.
then having to go to the hospital
them letting their dog out to bathroom really escalated.

I hate living next to my parents

hospital is only marginally related to the other two things. the gunfire and screaming meant I was up earlier than id like. so went in for a blood test i had to do.

my dad lets his dog outside to go to the bathroom about 6-7am. dog will always run about and go sniif exploring and if able will vanish into the woods for hours. suggestions to leash her gets ignored. this results in them screaming her name for an hour+ to the point where its my dad, 21 yr old brother, and my mom screaming for the dog to come back. getting more and more frustrated till the 21 yr old pulls a pistol and shoots into the ground it to get the dogs attention.
They do have their Trump flag flying, if you wanted to ask.

Something has been giving me explosive shits for the last two days.

Have a video of me walking with my dog later on. This was a nice part of my day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMJBr-48ak

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Jun 16, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Your brothers gonna shoot someone in line at wendy's or something, what the gently caress lol

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Today I am just breathless with dislike for my senior work partner and would very much like to tell him to gently caress himself.

He either has no idea what he wants regarding a particular problem or can't be bothered to report the plan coming from the meetings he goes to but that I miss, and then acts like I'm a huge piece of poo poo for asking if my work plan for certain urgent things matches what I think is going on.

I am repeating the names of my cats in my head to stop myself from leaving right now. They need new wall shelves.

3 months until I've been here a year and can move on!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Spent a few agonizing hours, an hour past the end of my shift, answering an agonizing tech support call with a guy from Peru typing in Microsoft Teams and Google Translate trying to explain an email routing issue I’d still be a bit shaky on even if I was just doing it in English.

Also the night this happened I broke a piece of a Gundam model I was building.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Jun 21, 2023

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My neighbor is holding a revival in his apartment, complete with guest singers cheering each other as they are introduced. I think they are doing testimonials, right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

I get home, and mom tells me that Noa, my wonderful idiot bossy bitch dog, is having serious eye problems out of nowhere. like, she went and sat on the couch when mom got up as normal, and when mom sat down Noa JUMPED because she couldn't even see mom, her eyes were bloodshot and she was keeping them closed all the time today. so after finally making it home from the dentist, I had just enough time to take some painkillers and hop in the car with dad(who had gone with me to the dentist to be an escort since I was going to be anesthetized) and rush over to the vet for an emergency visit while I'm holding a god damned bag of frozen peas to the side of my face. so the appointment went pretty quickly, they think she has some kind of eye infection or possibly immune system response to allergies that is making her eyes super bloodshot and irritated and weeping, so now we have antibiotic eyedrops that we need to give her every 8 hours and I basically get to wrestle her down while mom drops them in. fun!
so I found the problem. we've been cleaning a bunch and went through a box of clothes that had a Snuggie in it. I asked mom if she wanted to keep it, or if we should donate it. she said why not give it to Noa because she loves fuzzy stuff, she'll play with it and roll around with it on the bed and stuff, and she did, had a great time. two days of that, and suddenly her eyes were bloodshot as hell, nearly closed shut, swollen, she was drooling significantly, she was in a real bad way. I took her to the vet for an emergency appointment and they gave us eyedrops and ran a bunch of tests to confirm it wasn't some other very serious things. it wasn't. she was just allergic to the Snuggie. so it's going in the donate box. A $275 discovery!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

yesterday was father's day and my dad died of cancer in 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My dad was incredibly ungrateful for the AC and windshield wiper fluid dispenser fixes mom got a mechanic friend to do on his car for cost of parts instead of the $1,200 that the local shop wanted. This is why we don't get you anything outside of Christmas, you unpleasable git.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

venus de lmao posted:

yesterday was father's day and my dad died of cancer in 2020

Sup fellow dead dad via cancer goon, 2021 here.

gently caress cancer.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My father died January 2021, thirty days after my mother :mad:

Both heart attacks though

Yesterday was simultaneously father's day and my mother's birthday :mad: :mad:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My father died in 21. What up partial orphan club.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My mom's absolute addiction to certain Facebook lovely games, to the point where they stop working, and she throws a screaming fit that would make a toddler proud. This usually continues to her throwing the computer mouse, going to watch TV, and throwing another screaming fit because Netflix is taking a while to load or needs to update.

I tell her it's the drat game, and she screams then that it's NOT the game, it is the lovely computer. Which is the same thing she said about her last computer. Which in no way has to do with her having 3 or 4 Facebook game tabs open at once on a mini desktop computer. And she can't remember how to turn it off, so she "hard reboots" it every time by pressing the restart button until it starts to bend.

She plans to retire in a few months and I cannot wait to come home and find the computer and TV mashed together from one of her meltdowns.

I like to joke that on his deathbed, that's what I'm going to whisper to my dad that I in fact have not been too busy trying to find a boyfriend or settle down, but that I'm actually a lesbian, and the reason I never ever got married is not because I never met anyone but it's because of him. Directly. Because I saw how he broke up our family in pursuit of a co-worker, and it didn't matter that he and my mom have been married for 20 years, it only mattered that his new affair partner wants to get married. I decided I would never be in that position where I could spend so much time with someone for them to blind side me and leave with pretty much everything of value.

In the same line, I'd like to wait until my mom is on her deathbed to tell her that the reason I never had kids is because of her. Is because of her insane temper tantrums and untreated bipolar disorder, that probably wasn't helped at all by my dad's emotional abuse over the years. Once or twice I've lost my temper where I actually threw something, and at that moment I realized even with therapy I would probably never be a safe enough person to have around a child to see me lose my temper like that. So I decided then, it wasn't just my selfishness of not wanting to go to soccer games in the heat or deal with the various parent-teacher meetings, it was that. I never wanted to have a kid that would go between being terrified and then annoyed at my screaming tantrums because I couldn't get something to work. It's quite one thing to be a nanny and to be able to give the kid back at the end of the day, and quite another thing to be a parent and to have that kid with you and never get a substantial break. I was always on my best behavior when I was a nanny because I was an employee, but there's no one who pays you for being a parent.

Also, my friend is having issues with her marriage, which has been the standard poo poo since they were engaged. Add a mortgage and a 4 year old to the mix, and she's having a rough time with everything. Part of me wants to scream at her that she knew who she was marrying, and another part just wants her to wake up because after a decade of marriage, he still does nothing for her gift-wise, at all, ever, but gets snappy if she doesn't get him anything. The few times I get to talk to her anymore, she's just so exhausted and depressed from the day and there's nothing I can do to make it better for her.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mentioned before that my favorite restaurant shut down late last year. it was my absolute favorite, still hasn't been topped. I was driving by where their storefront was a couple days ago and saw a new sign up, a noodle shop! well that sounded interesting, so today I dropped in.

I walk in and it's ALMOST the same layout, but so much more sterile. no personal touches or photos with visitors, super obvious bubble security cameras, loud obnoxious music video playing on the newly installed TVs. I was really surprised to be greeted by the same person who ran the japanese restaurant that it replaced, he no longer owns the place, he just works as a waiter now. Which, I guess is okay if he doesn't want to deal with the stress of running a barely-afloat restaurant, but still, it was bittersweet to see him. ordered a few appetizers and two different noodle dishes for my dad and I, and...it was middling at best, gross at worst. fifty-three bucks for two bowls of soup and a few tiny spring rolls. obscenely expensive for such basic food. the soup was fine, but out of four different dishes, it was the only thing with any seasoning or flavor, and definitely not worth eighteen dollars a bowl. I'm just bummed out. My favorite restaurant got replaced with an overpriced noodle bar that, based on the wording of dishes on their menu, seems to target health food nuts with their overly expensive dishes(calling meat "protein" rather than meat, etc) rather than focusing on making food that's appetizing. it just sucks.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Jun 26, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I didn't realize ticket for The Hotelier went on sale already and they're already sold out.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Walking to my mailbox down the street has me winded, thanks smoke.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
everyone knows the midwest thing where people sit around, then someone slaps their knees and says WELL about time we head out? It's like the universal sign for get out and go home, we're done.

I have the inverse with my mom. She's already going half nuts from thinking how bored she will be when she retires. So lately at night she says she's heading to bed...and then sits down by me and wants to ask what I'm doing, what plans I have tomorrow, and just wants to yammer and jabber on about anything until I do the knee-slap and tell her I'm heading to bed once I am done with whatever I'm working on. After at least one or two of those, it usually takes.

I need to get her signed up for Silver Sneakers or some poo poo or she is gonna go insane when she retires in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Biplane posted:

Holy gently caress I feel like I'm detoxing off heroin over here, can't sleep, sweating like mad, angry as hell. Why is nicotine even a thing. Why did I ever start? Well I know why I started, to look cool at parties LMAO. Good call idiot!
This and the post quoted below got me thinking, and I just 2ant to give yome encouragement.

Captain Invictus posted:

If I had done that, I would have quit drinking far before I did because when I looked back at my bank account and credit cards, I realized I was spending almost $7000-9000 a year on alcohol. On an average day I was drinking an entire 3L Bota Box of wine, 8-10 shots of 100 proof liquor, and 4-6 cans of heavy beer. I wasn't drinking because I enjoyed it, I was drinking to prevent withdrawal symptoms and when I stopped I had a seizure. I was lucky enough to have insurance that covered 10 days in rehab because I sure as hell couldn't afford the $17,000 it cost for that plus more than $16,000 for a year-long outpatient program.

My liver enzyme levels are down to the normal range after previously having been at 3x the ALT/AST ratio of alcoholic liver disease, I've lost 80 pounds, am still overweight but below the body fat percentage that's considered obese, and my hemoglobin A1C has dropped from 8.7 to 5.2 and while I have to keep with a low glycemic index diet, I beat the 'beetus.

I'm saying this because overcoming addiction is really, really hard, but you can do it. When you do, you'll look back and be happy that you did.