Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Van Morrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
are we hyped about a double dissolution itt or nah

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Unrelated edit: Do you reckon that ScoMo still has hid "I stopped these" trophy that he made for himself? And is it displayed as proudly? Will he keep that on his mantlepiece long into his old age?

Absolutely, and I'd give even money odds he'll be buried with it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

are we hyped about a double dissolution itt or nah

Seems pretty unlikely?

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
The Greens can get hosed on this one IMO. Private rent freezing is a pretty fringe policy, and holding up incremental progress on public housing for it is a slap in the face to anyone who is currently homeless (and whose situation therefore won’t be improved by a freeze on private rents anyway).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

The Greens can get hosed on this one IMO. Private rent freezing is a pretty fringe policy, and holding up incremental progress on public housing for it is a slap in the face to anyone who is currently homeless (and whose situation therefore won’t be improved by a freeze on private rents anyway).

is the rent freeze the sole condition for them holding it up? if so i agree with you but from what ive seen of it labors package is not really incremental progress on attaining more public housing anyway. fwiw qld labor have been loving useless on this front as well but im not super stoked on the greens insistance on a rent freeze on that level either, blatent self interest aside

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having homes people can afford to live in is a fringe position in modern politics.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Holding a DD against the Greens would just benefit the Greens because then they get to campaign on why Labor is being dogshit and probably increase their HoR and Senate seats as a result.

Labor pulling a DD to campaign on their lukewarm actions against inflation and housing affordability will only cause Green gains, thus a DD won't happen.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is the rent freeze the sole condition for them holding it up? if so i agree with you but from what ive seen of it labors package is not really incremental progress on attaining more public housing anyway. fwiw qld labor have been loving useless on this front as well but im not super stoked on the greens insistance on a rent freeze on that level either, blatent self interest aside

There were two public conditions stated most recently. One was they wanted $2.5b to be spent acquiring existing houses to then let out as public housing, the second was a rent freeze (as the commonwealth has no jurisdiction here, the mechanism was supposed to be $1B to be made available to each state and territory if they passed some sort of rent freeze policy.

Source for the above: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/greens-scale-back-demands-for-labor-social-housing-bill/5fvy8qvrx

Labor publicly agreed to most of condition 1, by announcing 2b (so not 2.5 but close enough, it’s politics so everyone has to look like they won a little) to be spent immediately on social housing. They didn’t agree to the rent freeze thing.

Source https://theguardian.com/australia-n...enate-stalemate

The Greens primary complaint overall was that this is only set to deliver 6,000 social housing dwellings per year over 5 years (so about 16 families housed per day) and That’s Just Not Good Enough.

And yes, I am kinda mad about this, because I hate it when people let perfect be the enemy of good.

The Dirtiest Harry fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 19, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The labor policy is shittier than it seems at first glance because it’s not actually $10 billion to be spent on housing; it’s $10 billion to be put in an investment fund (ie the stock market) and the income generated from that fund being spent on housing each year. That could be as little as $0 in a bad year if the stock market goes down.

The greens need to play hardball because that’s the only way they can push labor into doing more (something they’ve already done across multiple issues). If Labor thinks they’ll just make a little noise but then obediently give in on anything then they lose any leverage they might have to push for change.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the main objective now is to pressure labor to secure a rental increase cap (not the rent freeze which they had previously been campaigning for) in upcoming national cabinet negotiations, which is something albanese has already stated will be under consideration. this is the only leverage the greens have, so they're going to use it.

https://twitter.com/MChandlerMather/status/1670632999640252421

labor's housing fund wouldn't even deliver returns to be spent on housing for a while anyway, so delaying it a little is hardly holding up housing spending, especially now that labor just announced $2 billion in upfront spending on housing. if labor wants to spend more on housing immediately like they just did, no one is stopping them from doing that. the housing fund is a longer-term strategy but is totally inadequate on its own

The Lord Bude posted:

The labor policy is shittier than it seems at first glance because it’s not actually $10 billion to be spent on housing; it’s $10 billion to be put in an investment fund (ie the stock market) and the income generated from that fund being spent on housing each year. That could be as little as $0 in a bad year if the stock market goes down.
labor has at least caved on this part, the policy is now that they will spend a guaranteed $500 million a year from the fund at minimum, instead of that being the maximum possible annual spend with nothing spent in a bad year (very possible if we end up in a recession soon).

lih fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 19, 2023

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

This makes it sustainable and harder for future governments to defund (my understanding is it would require legislation rather than an administrative budgetary change.) It doesn’t prevent the Greens (and others) from advocating for even more public housing funding.

What it does mean is that any time the future fund makes returns (and feel free to check out its historic performance) we get more public housing. Forever.

Well, it doesn’t now, because it’s dead.

lih
May 15, 2013

it's not dead (it will likely pass in october if national cabinet comes up with anything decent for renters), and it wasn't really for public housing - the intent was largely to use it to fund rent subsidies for "affordable" (below market rate) housing. some of it may go to public housing but likely very little.

how exactly are the greens supposed to secure more funding for public housing by giving up the only leverage they have to pressure labor to do better?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

As far as I can tell in the legislation, the requirement is only that a Minister MAY make a grant from the HAFF.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This makes it sustainable and harder for future governments to defund (my understanding is it would require legislation rather than an administrative budgetary change.) It doesn’t prevent the Greens (and others) from advocating for even more public housing funding.

What it does mean is that any time the future fund makes returns (and feel free to check out its historic performance) we get more public housing. Forever.

People can advocate things till the cows come home, it doesn’t achieve jack poo poo. If the greens want to actually achieve something, they need to show that they won’t just rubber stamp anything labor decides to do. At the end of the day, only the party that holds government can actually do things; so if other parties want to get something done they need to be prepared to grab the government by the balls. Labor was doing the absolute bare minimum, as result of the pressure the greens are applying they’ve already committed to doing much more.

Not to mention hammering labor on how milquetoast they are is a vote winner and ultimately getting more greens into parliament will result in better governance in the long run. A DD would be a massive win for the greens because it will be much easier for them to get extra senators.

Labor doesn’t have the balls to actually call a DD though. My bet is they eventually capitulate a little more, and the greens eventually agree to support the housing bill

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

lol ok albo

lih
May 15, 2013

a double dissolution wouldn't be easier for the greens to gain extra senators (their vote would need to be much higher to have a chance of getting three senators in one state at a double dissolution, probably at least 19%), but there would be nothing in it for labor in terms of having an easier path in the senate either. talk of one is just bluster

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why wont the greens just lay down and let labor do their job

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BrigadierSensible posted:

Unrelated edit: Do you reckon that ScoMo still has hid "I stopped these" trophy that he made for himself? And is it displayed as proudly? Will he keep that on his mantlepiece long into his old age?

Hopefully someone gave him a new one about LNP election victories.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why do they keep coming here? :(

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why wont the greens just lay down and let labor do their job

seriously has this guy actually read the Labor legislation because it's weak as piss

The Greens are doing what they were elected to do, which is to drag these cunts to the left where they should have been for the past 20 years

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I'd like to point out the Greens want 2.5B per year for social housing, and Labor has offered a one off spend of 2B. This isn't even enough to deal with the massive loving backlog of houses that need to be built to properly fix social housing in this country.

Whilst compromising is good for some things, in this case taking what is offered and then pushing for more feels bad. Labor will just say 'we did that, move on' and as it stands no one's looking at the Greens and saying they're holding up social housing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

why do they keep coming here? :(

same reason those poor south african farmers came here

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

same reason those poor south african farmers came here

It's actually because Victoria is a Chinese communist dictatorship and they go to where the battles are.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JBP posted:

It's actually because Victoria is a Chinese communist dictatorship and they go to where the battles are.

I thought the South Africans mostly go to Perth?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

I thought the South Africans mostly go to Perth?

Yeah them and poms. I'm referring to the poster.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

I'd like to point out the Greens want 2.5B per year for social housing, and Labor has offered a one off spend of 2B. This isn't even enough to deal with the massive loving backlog of houses that need to be built to properly fix social housing in this country.

Whilst compromising is good for some things, in this case taking what is offered and then pushing for more feels bad. Labor will just say 'we did that, move on' and as it stands no one's looking at the Greens and saying they're holding up social housing.

Incorrect: Idiots are looking at the greens and saying they're holding up social housing.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The ABC reports Labor is seriously considering a Double Dissolution election to set a mandate for both the Housing Future Fund and to add momentum to the faltering Yes Campaign.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

The ABC reports Labor is seriously considering a Double Dissolution election to set a mandate for both the Housing Future Fund and to add momentum to the faltering Yes Campaign.

Why would you jokingly consider it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

oh god you werent kidding

lih
May 15, 2013

don farrell said some stuff threatening a double dissolution (basically just noting that delaying the bill could be a step towards double dissolution trigger) but it's just bluster. it makes zero sense for labor unless they want to have an early election to secure a larger majority while they're well ahead in the polls, but it won't change the senate dynamic with the greens

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

Why would you jokingly consider it

you have to admit itd be a good laugh

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Anidav posted:

what the gently caress why would they do this

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
they won't

and if they do and the election is this year imma cut some bitches the gently caress up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Centrist liberals insulting leftists as spoiled, demanding children, for whom nothing is ever good enough, has always been blatant projection.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Centrist liberals insulting leftists as spoiled, demanding children, for whom nothing is ever good enough, has always been blatant projection.

fyi our prime minister grew up in public housing on the dole and probably did quaaludes or something else cool that doesn't exist anymore

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Autisanal Cheese posted:

what the gently caress why would they do this

Mandates, apparently.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

Incorrect: Idiots are looking at the greens and saying they're holding up social housing.

Idiots who weren't going to vote for Greens anyway, no political loses there

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

Idiots who weren't going to vote for Greens anyway, no political loses there

QFT. If you're enough of a mouth breather to buy into that spin, the media has already poisoned that well beyond redemption.

Anidav posted:

Mandates, apparently.

Labor will absolutely not call a double dissolution election. In fact if there was an open market on sportsbet for it, I would literally put money on it. Nothing but bluster to try and pressure the greens, and I am proud of them for holding firm and forcing labor to do actually good things instead of *nothing* things. The problem with housing exists right now, and the solutions need to address both the problem right now and the problem long term.

Not Labor's original policy of doing nothing right now, and maybe doing something long term if the stock market goes up and the investment pays off, and they're still in government, and they feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
John, a landlord from Valley View who called into ABC Radio Adelaide, said the government should "butt out" of people's private affairs.

"That is my business, and if you keep butting into my private affairs, I will sell that property and I will buy a motorhome and I will go travelling and there will be one less property out there for rentals," he said.