Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Alarbus posted:

Eating my cold dinner in the basement turned against the wall to protect it from toddlers and cats.

Also. 5yo got diagnosed with type 1, that was a fun trip to the children's hospital. Also explains the lethargy, weird appetite, odd behavior, and chugging 70+ oz of water per day.

2yo still fine, just upset Mom and (primarily) Dad were gone, very upset the 5yo was missing, and now just angry that the 5yo is getting more attention and care, never mind it's all needles.

Oh man that really sucks. My wife got her T1D diagnosis at about that age too, if you got any questions hit me up. TBH honest now is the best time to get that disease with the rise of CGM and insulin pumps. Still a real pain in the rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

So I went through this last summer with my daughter at 8. Long thick hair, constantly a matted mess and our mornings were full of screaming and tears. I told her that we couldn’t have screaming anymore, I didn’t like fighting with her, and she and I had to have a plan to let her deal with her hair independently.

She agreed to look at pictures of short hair with me, and slowly warmed to the idea. It helped to remind her that hair grows, and if she hated it then she could grow it back out.

We cut a solid 12” off it, and while she doesn’t like the style a ton she did admit she likes how easy it is to care for. We also don’t have screaming every morning, so that’s a bonus.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Do any of you ever worry about sickos stealing your kid photos from the cloud or whatever? We are continuing work on potty training and I want to document the cute no-pants, face down on the floor meltdowns but don’t want to take any risks :( I know this sounds really paranoid but it could happen!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

remigious posted:

Do any of you ever worry about sickos stealing your kid photos from the cloud or whatever? We are continuing work on potty training and I want to document the cute no-pants, face down on the floor meltdowns but don’t want to take any risks :( I know this sounds really paranoid but it could happen!

I have a couple pics of my kid in the bathtub, and I turned off iCloud on my phone so Apple wouldn’t report me to the police for CP or something. Probably also being paranoid but yeah. I feel like every parent needs to keep a couple naked butt pics around to embarrass their kids with later on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

remigious posted:

Honestly a more likely scenario is Google or whoever nuking your entire account and blacklisting you forever with no appeal because their content analysis systems flagged it for review, the faceless reviewer decided it was obscene, and google doesn't entertain the possibility that they hosed up despite a police detective dismissing the incident as nothing noteworthy.

This is not a hypothetical.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Silent Linguist posted:

I have a couple pics of my kid in the bathtub, and I turned off iCloud on my phone so Apple wouldn’t report me to the police for CP or something. Probably also being paranoid but yeah. I feel like every parent needs to keep a couple naked butt pics around to embarrass their kids with later on.

My baby has a crooked butt, the rear end crack starts off straight up but veers to the right like 45° after a certain point. The photo is coming out at her 18th/21st and she will never live it down.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Shifty Pony posted:

Honestly a more likely scenario is Google or whoever nuking your entire account and blacklisting you forever with no appeal because their content analysis systems flagged it for review, the faceless reviewer decided it was obscene, and google doesn't entertain the possibility that they hosed up despite a police detective dismissing the incident as nothing noteworthy.

This is not a hypothetical.

Jeez! Well I think I found a solution…I forgot I bought one of those fujifilm instax cameras a while back, so that will do for snapping a few photos :)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Goffer posted:

My baby has a crooked butt, the rear end crack starts off straight up but veers to the right like 45° after a certain point. The photo is coming out at her 18th/21st and she will never live it down.

My son has this! It's less prominent now but as a baby it looked like a crooked Y

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh cool, my daycare sent out an invitation for an "Emergency Meeting" tomorrow for all families, complete with a Zoom link

This is a first and we have had only good experiences so far but ughhhh do I even want to know what the gently caress it's going to be about???

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Sooo you've probably heard about the black mold, or at least noticed more coughing from your kids"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol that is not helping my paranoia!!!! gently caress!!!!

I'm just unsettled by it, and I'm hoping it's some stupid poo poo about parents sending their kids in when they're obviously sick too often

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Staffing issues? Daycare had to drop one classroom for a few weeks while they found a replacement teacher a year or two ago. They just said either some families could volunteer to keep their kids home until the teacher was found, or they'd have to just not have that class attend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Emily Spinach posted:

What's the texture of her hair? Would it be feasible for her to shower and do conditioner every night, and brush while the conditioner is in? Maybe sleep in a braid even if she won't keep it during the day?

I've never had long hair as a duded, but this seems reasonable. My wife hates (won't) brushing out her hair so I have to do it and it will start to knot up after 1-2 days if I don't wet and brush it. 10 is what, 4th grade? Not too far off from showering daily, you could start that process early.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I don’t think there’s any “good” outcome for an emergency meeting especially when they don’t tell you what it’s about.

Honestly, if it was trivial, I’d still be annoyed that they stressed me out by calling it an emergency and making me wait only to find out it was nothing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ohhhhh my money's on that they're shutting down at the end of the month

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've had long hair the majority of my life. Right now its to my waist and I have it bleached every several months so I can dye it gray. Washing your hair daily can have the opposite effect on your hair and make it dry and gross. This brand has great detangler that works a lot better than the johnson & johnson stuff:https://fairytaleshaircare.com/

Probably a little too expensive for a kid, but I use an amika leave in conditioner spray on my own hair that works great as a detangler.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Renegret posted:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Trying to set a small boundary by getting my two year old to say please before nursing and struggling a bit, she keeps having meltdowns when I ask her to do this. Not sure if I'm being unreasonable here and should just give up or is this ok to ask for.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

hallo spacedog posted:

Trying to set a small boundary by getting my two year old to say please before nursing and struggling a bit, she keeps having meltdowns when I ask her to do this. Not sure if I'm being unreasonable here and should just give up or is this ok to ask for.

It is a totally reasonable request. I believe my little guy was about 2 when I started requesting a “please” when he wanted something.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
In regards to baby butt photo backups, from my research it's okay as long as you aren't sharing the images/album publicly and its obviously not CP. For example, in Google photos I have a separate album configured that is shared with family, and only curated images are placed in there. Any baby bits are tastefully obscured with emoji stickers. And just in case google is dumb and bans my account, I do frequent backups to a separate cloud service using Google takeout.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I can't tell you how much of this leave in conditioner we've gone through for my 5yo kid's very long and beautiful wavy/curly hair. Well actually I can - Amazon says I've ordered 9 times.
https://www.amazon.com/SoCozy-Curl-Leave-Conditioner-Detangles/dp/B01M9DV1OT/

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

I think that's a reasonable age to introduce "please". Meltdowns aren't necessarily a reason to stop doing something, they're the cost of doing business when you're teaching a kid to do something they don't want to do. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it isn't.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Make sure you are saying please and thank you when you ask your partner/friend/kid to do things too as modeling the behavior is super important for getting the kid to pick it up. If you never say please (and this is not a judgement thing, it's just not a thing some people do) then it's going to be hard for your kid to learn that behavior.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

space uncle posted:

Oh man that really sucks. My wife got her T1D diagnosis at about that age too, if you got any questions hit me up. TBH honest now is the best time to get that disease with the rise of CGM and insulin pumps. Still a real pain in the rear end though.

Thanks. One of my cousins has a T1D kid, and they're a year in, so I have someone to talk to.

I did make a disparaging comment about MyChart to a friend, forgetting that's uh, what she works on. Ooops!

Edit: tenses are important!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

sheri posted:

Make sure you are saying please and thank you when you ask your partner/friend/kid to do things too as modeling the behavior is super important for getting the kid to pick it up. If you never say please (and this is not a judgement thing, it's just not a thing some people do) then it's going to be hard for your kid to learn that behavior.

We definitely say it and she is really great at thank you/you're welcome but for some reason only says please when she is trying to get us to do something we are telling her no about.

I guess I'm a bit torn because I don't know if I should be holding off on nursing until she says it? Or just keep reminding her?

Edit - I realize that sounds stupid maybe but overall we are I guess very gentle parents and also it feels a little weird to be doing this re nursing but on the other hand I feel like it's a boundary I would like to have

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 20, 2023

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Gentle correction for the first while would be fine, I'd think. Repeating what she says and adding please, or saying "Next time, say 'please'", rather than holding off on nursing.

My daughter was really scared for her 4yo childhood immunizations. Both the nurse and I tried our best to calm her, but she kept working herself up so we ended up having to just get it over with - it was one shot, so it was quick, and we'd actually used a numbing patch so it didn't hurt. Once it was done and she began to calm down a little, I gently said "don't forget to say thank you" for the sticker the nurse had just given her - when she's upset she can get stuck inside her own head and little reminders like this can help her get back out of it and calm down. The nurse looked at me like I was a monster and said "She's UPSET, it's FINE, don't WORRY ABOUT IT." :( I wasn't being mean! I was trying to get her mind off how upset she was and onto the awesome sticker, I swear! I wasn't going to get mad if she didn't say thank you!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

the only saving grace here is my job decided not to renew my contract this year which has been both a brutal turn of events with how they handled it but also a blessing since it came right as our second kid was born

I officially stopped working in April but my contract paid out until this month so I had a good amount of time at home to help with the kids, and if it is something as drastic as shutting down, I'll at least be able to hang out at home while job hunting

not sure about everyone else's situation, though :smith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sweet Gulch posted:

Gentle correction for the first while would be fine, I'd think. Repeating what she says and adding please, or saying "Next time, say 'please'", rather than holding off on nursing.

Thanks, we will keep trying this.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of our favorite phrases when the kids ask for something, etc. is a variation on “try that differently please!”

We mostly use for missing pleases, but it also works for whining, rude tone, etc.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Update: yep, their location is shutting down because of the landlord being an rear end in a top hat, cool, nice, great, love landlords

They do have two other locations, so we are going to try to hustle to get a spot in them because they have been awesome for us and it sucks to lose out on it. I'm in the running for three different positions right now but because they're all in higher ed, the vetting and approval process moves at a glacial pace. I don't know when/where I'll end up in the coming months and the two locations are on opposite ends of the Providence area.

The lady running the place was in tears and an absolute wreck as they had been there for over a decade and only a small number of teachers will be moving over. I also feel bad for my daughter who tells us every day about her friends and the teachers that adore her to an insane degree, but in the end I know she'll be fine.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

devmd01 posted:

One of our favorite phrases when the kids ask for something, etc. is a variation on “try that differently please!”

We mostly use for missing pleases, but it also works for whining, rude tone, etc.

We do this too and it works a peach

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter makes me sing a song to her at bedtime about going on a time machine and visiting various points in history and theoretical futures

It's getting so drat complex, now there's a silly bug that sometimes gets into the controls and makes the time machine go awry and land in unexpected times and places, or parallel universes, or even a space between time where things from various eras fall into.

Tonight she ate a croissant at a cafe while she watched the Eiffel Tower being built, then the silly bug made the time machine go to the weird between-time dimension, and she brought everyone there to their home times and they thanked her with presents, like a knight gave her a sword but she didn't want it, so she sold it for money so she could get cotton candy at the amusement park (oh by the way, the time machine is an amusement park ride)

Then she visited herself just born and her brother just born (these are mandatory inclusions each night) and then finally went back to 2023, whereupon she got her cotton candy and went back home.

Then I have to sing the normal, lullaby songs, because none of that actually happened from my positional awareness, as far as I was concerned she had never been gone.

Anyways, it's after ten now

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Creativity in little kids is just so awe inspiring to witness, your daughter is hilarious, even if she is stalling bedtime.

I loved watching the tiny gears turn in my guys head as he makes stuff up, I feel like I can watch the Imagination become tangible.

I’m nervous about the EEG visit tomorrow. It’s just going to be a lot of driving and crying and long observation. Gonna suck.

I was explaining to my son we were gonna go back to the hospital and see the doctor. I was also trying to explain why we have to keep him up so late because they want to try and have him nap during the EEG.

Me - “We’re gonna go nap at the hospital!”
Son - “I wanna see ambulance”
“You haven’t slept at the hospital since you were brand new, we kept you there for 2 nights”
“Yeah”
“Do you remember sleeping there?”
“Yeah”
“You remember we had to wrap you up in a burrito blanket?” (Jaundice light wrap)
“Yeah - and I had a bandaid on my foot”

I assumed that he had lost the plot and was talking about a recent boo-boo or bandaid or was just free associating bandaid with hospital.

But then I remembered, he did have a bandaid on his foot. He was right. They kept pricking his foot and taking blood to make sure my wife’s diabetes didn’t tank his blood sugar.

My eyes widened when I thought maybe he was remembering an incident when he was only hours old. Crazy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Update: yep, their location is shutting down because of the landlord being an rear end in a top hat, cool, nice, great, love landlords

That super sucks, sorry

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

space uncle posted:

My eyes widened when I thought maybe he was remembering an incident when he was only hours old. Crazy.

You sure he hasn't seen pictures of himself as a newborn, or heard someone tell him about the band-aid? Because that seems impossible.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 21, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like the thing where kids make up nonsense words to a common song melody, in this case London Bridge. Even if it is 5am

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

I like the thing where kids make up nonsense words to a common song melody, in this case London Bridge. Even if it is 5am

I feel this, but spider man

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You sure he hasn't seen pictures of himself as a newborn, or heard someone tell him about the band-aid? Because that seems impossible.

Yeah that’s more likely. Or he just heard “hospital” and “doctor” and thought, what do doctors do? Put bandaids on.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Any time we go to the doctor they put a bandaid (actually a pulse ox cuff) on the kid's toe... Maybe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Any time we go to the doctor they put a bandaid (actually a pulse ox cuff) on the kid's toe... Maybe that?

He hasn’t had a foot bandaid since then, plenty of bandaids for bug bites and scratches.

No pulse ox.

He had some blisters on his toes from HFM but no bandaids then either.