Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

After Wolftime, the only possible trajectory was up.

Way to jinx it you fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

After Wolftime, the only possible trajectory was up.

But one of the books after Wolftime was written by Nick Kyme. :v:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
The Iron Kingdom wasn't good, but it wasn't the worst 40K novel I've ever read (which Wolftime certainly was). Horrible writing aside, as someone who has a Space Wolves army and really enjoys SW books when done well (i.e. vikings in space as written by Abnett and Wraight), I took that poo poo way too personal.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I just want to excise the part of my brain that holds memories of Wolftime. Spacewolves reduced to such a state of petulant manchildreness that Guilliman himself has to kneel in front of them just so he can get these Primaris dropped off and gtfo of there. Ughhhh, just the worst.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Let's move the timeline forward but how about we use all the worst writers that are only ever read by the people who read 100 Warhammer books a year for some reason.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

wolftime sounds like a twitter user from the favstar era

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Let's move the timeline forward but how about we use all the worst writers that are only ever read by the people who read 100 Warhammer books a year for some reason.

I've been called out.

Wolf time was dogshit though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

On the Warhammer Crime front, we have The King of the Spoil by Jonathan D. Beer. Available for pre-order in the usual first run formats.

Is this finally my Warhams cyberpunk I won't shut the gently caress up about?!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Inspector_666 posted:

Is this finally my Warhams cyberpunk I won't shut the gently caress up about?!

The Crime series has had enough hackers surfing the noosphere already, there's certainly support for a full-up cyber novel.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Crime is such a fun series, love it

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
The horror series is rarely much more horrific than regular warhams but it can be very (stupid) fun

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The horror series should just exclusively be Peter Fehervari books, he is the only one I've read that has put anything out I would actually call horror.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

DaysBefore posted:

Crime is such a fun series, love it

I really enjoy crime too, though I want some sequels to start coming out already. Would love a new Zidarov or Noctis&Lux novel. Hopefully sales support such a thing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Judging by number and pace of releases I think crime has done pretty well and horror not so much. Crime came out of the gate with some really strong books and horror just hasn't been very good except for a few short stories.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I slammed through the crime books. Haven't really had a chance to get the horror books. Plus the fact that the setting is already kind of horror I dunno if grimdark + horror hits different enough notes to make an interesting combo to me.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
It doesn't help that most of the best books of the horror line are a) fantasy, b) released a million years ago, or c) both. Dark Harvest is probably my favorite of the line that isn't re-releases of old classics (see: all the Kim Newman books). If forced to choose a 40k one, I'd probably say House of Night and Chain but none are really that great.

The real answer to 'Best 40k Horror' novel is, of course, Reverie* which blows everything else out of the water. It seems like they're trying to retcon Reverie into the Warhammer Horror line to some extent these days?The cover says its a 'warhammer 40k horror' novel but its not actually listed as such on the website. I don't remember if that tagline on the cover was there when it first came out though to be honest. Might have been the book to inspire the line.

* Requiem Infernal is a very close second for me I have a hard time choosing between them.

orphean fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 21, 2023

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I think someone recommended a book called Into The Black.

It's a generic as gently caress military space opera book, which makes it perfect bedtime reading.

However I was thinking about the premise and it makes no sense (in a glorious fashion).

We have just had WW3 and the reaction from the winning(?) side is to build an interplanetary warship and they DON'T instantly turn it on their enemies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

orphean posted:

It doesn't help that most of the best books of the horror line are a) fantasy, b) released a million years ago, or c) both. Dark Harvest is probably my favorite of the line that isn't re-releases of old classics (see: all the Kim Newman books). If forced to choose a 40k one, I'd probably say House of Night and Chain but none are really that great.

The real answer to 'Best 40k Horror' novel is, of course, Reverie* which blows everything else out of the water. It seems like they're trying to retcon Reverie into the Warhammer Horror line to some extent these days?The cover says its a 'warhammer 40k horror' novel but its not actually listed as such on the website. I don't remember if that tagline on the cover was there when it first came out though to be honest. Might have been the book to inspire the line.

* Requiem Infernal is a very close second for me I have a hard time choosing between them.

The Reverie was released as part of the Horror line to begin with. Requiem Infernal predated the Horror line.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

This discussion reminded me that I hadn't picked up The Reverie. I read Requiem Infernal earlier this year and loved it so I'm excited to read it.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Reverie is real good!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Peter Fehervari is up there with Abnett, Wraight and ADB, imho

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Reverie was released as part of the Horror line to begin with. Requiem Infernal predated the Horror line.

https://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-horror?showall=1

They don't even it include it as part of the horror subline on the website hence my confusion. :psyduck:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

John Banks' Jaghatai voice is fuckin weird man

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Are Requiem Infernal and The Reverie recommended reading as a duo? Any other books/short stories to go with? Read a description and they sound enticing.

Although I had a good laugh at the name "Asenath Hyades." Thank you, 40k. Subtlety is forbidden.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mazed posted:

Are Requiem Infernal and The Reverie recommended reading as a duo? Any other books/short stories to go with? Read a description and they sound enticing.

Although I had a good laugh at the name "Asenath Hyades." Thank you, 40k. Subtlety is forbidden.

All of Peter Fehervari's books and short stories are loosely connected and benefit from reading the other ones. I would also recommend reading Fire Caste and Cult of the Spiral Dawn alongside them, but all of them stand alone fairly well

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've read quite alot of ham books and recently found Fehervari's univerise in Warhammer and its excellent. I used this as reference while reading them and it really helped. they're all fantastic

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Deciding between finishing Vaults of Terra or starting Fabius Bile with my audible credit and even though it's obviously nice to finishing out a trilogy, I truly can't decide.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The dark city is insane

Go with that

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

yea ok

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Good call.

Improbable Lobster posted:

All of Peter Fehervari's books and short stories are loosely connected and benefit from reading the other ones. I would also recommend reading Fire Caste and Cult of the Spiral Dawn alongside them, but all of them stand alone fairly well

Waroduce posted:

I've read quite alot of ham books and recently found Fehervari's univerise in Warhammer and its excellent. I used this as reference while reading them and it really helped. they're all fantastic

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/10/31/a-travellers-guide-to-the-dark-coil/

Thanks for this, now I have a new reading list since I wrapped up the traitor half of the HH Primarchs series and Wraight's Watchers of the Throne duology, which by the way was fantastic -- it's almost completely disconnected from Vaults of Terra but makes an excellent companion piece, and the way it's written, weaving three first-person perspectives through the same sequence of events, is brilliantly fun.

I'm gonna tackle Fehervari's stories in the chronological order listed on that linked page. Already read "Nightbleed", which was low key but well-crafted.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mazed posted:

Subtle enough for my simple mind, i guess. What's the reference?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Found myself re-reading The End and Death again and man. Abnett just has done an incredible job. Malcador's ascension is just a total emotional gutpunch not often found in 40k genre shooty kill fiction. It really just hammers emphatically home how much of a tragedy this really was for humanity and the fact it might just be threading the needle to avert a even larger tragedy with the whole Dark King business just has me waiting on such tenterhooks I'm forced to use that silly word.

It's seriously one of those books I just want to blather on about to friends but where would you even begin? It's like a love letter to all the people who, over the years, have filled their heads with all the necessary context needed for it to work as well as it does.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm reading "The Reverie" now and I dunno if my brain is broken but, on top of the suspense, I'm finding something darkly comical about this whole thing. Which may be the point, because horror and humor are equally fed by the absurd. It's like a spookier but slightly less horny "Fulgrim" with much better prose. I like this passage that describes a daemon: "The prisoner had taken many forms over the years, some pitiful, others hideous and a few incomprehensible, but it was the one he loathed seeing above all others. Now it simply pretended to to be itself."

Pretended to to be itself.

Also the character names are loving bonkers.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Subtle enough for my simple mind, i guess. What's the reference?

Cthulhu Mythos. Asenath Waite is a character in Lovecraft's "The Thing on the Doorstep", and the Hyades are a star cluster associated with the Great Old One Hastur.

(I dunno if these actually connect to plot points/spoilers for the book, since I ain't read it yet :v: )

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ohhhhh, Cthulhu v. A grey knight. That would be an interesting fanfic

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Greyknight simply speaks the eldritch horror's true name and enslaves it to their will. Bing bong.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mazed posted:

I'm reading "The Reverie" now and I dunno if my brain is broken but, on top of the suspense, I'm finding something darkly comical about this whole thing. Which may be the point, because horror and humor are equally fed by the absurd. It's like a spookier but slightly less horny "Fulgrim" with much better prose. I like this passage that describes a daemon: "The prisoner had taken many forms over the years, some pitiful, others hideous and a few incomprehensible, but it was the one he loathed seeing above all others. Now it simply pretended to to be itself."

Pretended to to be itself.

Also the character names are loving bonkers.

Cthulhu Mythos. Asenath Waite is a character in Lovecraft's "The Thing on the Doorstep", and the Hyades are a star cluster associated with the Great Old One Hastur.

(I dunno if these actually connect to plot points/spoilers for the book, since I ain't read it yet :v: )

There is a lot of dark comedy in his books. In Fire Caste, when the Guard regiment the story follows first arrive on the shithole swamp they're supposed to fight in, one character in heavy armour gets flung off a boat and instantly drowns, another guy trips and is immediately devoured by alien crabs, the most religious member of the regiment accidentally falls to Khorne and it's all very funny.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah Fire Caste is great

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-for-blood-bowl

You want new books? Of course you do!

Only two Black Library pre-orders next weekend, and both are AoS related.

First up, there's Children of Teclis by Evan Dicken. Available in the usual first release formats.

Second up, we have the paperback release of Grombrindal: Chronicles of the Wanderer by David Guymer.

There is also another book being teased for next week. Hopefully nothing Space Marine related. But for all I know it's the tie-in novel to Space Marine 2 written by Guy Haley.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reading through the new Leviathan book. Some minor spoilers here that honestly aren't really a big deal but I'll put them in tags to be nice. As with every book that comes out along with a big release it's main purpose is to introduce whatever the new thing is. Darius Hinks is an ok author and the book is very middle of the road. We do however get a new ultramarine character who is really cool and I hope we see more of:

The new Tyranids are much more devious and scary and running circles around the ultramarines. I'm sure they'll pull it out by the end but not doing very well so far. Also we meet a new character in the Ultramarines I really like and I hope he gets his own series. He's an apothecary biologis instead of just a regular apothecary. He's basically Fabius Bile but an Ultramarine. He focuses on studying xenos and has a weird rear end laboratory and is not your typical Ultramarine at all and all the others view him with suspicion. He also has a best friend that he grew up with and they both became Ultramarines who is also very different from the normal UM. He's pretty cool and almost like a world eater without the nails or a death guard or something in temperament. I would really like to see a book series that just follows these two it's nice to get some Ultramarines that aren't boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Interesting Ultramarines?!?

Clearly the Cicatrix Maledictum really has broken the Galaxy.