Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Mega64 posted:

So if you ignore the obvious benefit of portability, are there any games cross-platform on PC or the other current consoles where the Switch port is the best? Just curious.

One I can think of is Starlink since you've got fuckin' Star Fox hanging around stealing the spotlight from these random people.

For some reason they went to the trouble of adding on-the-fly style switching to DMC3 for the Switch. It’s not present in any of the other ports unless you mod the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Evil Fluffy posted:

These are first party exclusives but still the correct answer.

They're kind of in that weird second-party territory, right? They used to do like, Playstation RPGs and DBZ games before Nintendo showed up with a cheque

E: Oh Nintendo bought them entirely in 2007!?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

So if you ignore the obvious benefit of portability, are there any games cross-platform on PC or the other current consoles where the Switch port is the best? Just curious.

One I can think of is Starlink since you've got fuckin' Star Fox hanging around stealing the spotlight from these random people.

Skyrim has the Zelda DLC gear I guess but it looks laughably out of place in my opinion. Then again a lot of that game looks laughably out of place just in general

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Mega64 posted:

IDK if I'd say it's better than PC but I played Celeste on both and I had more fun with it handheld and ended up 100% it, it might have just been the time and place tho

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Chronojam posted:

They're kind of in that weird second-party territory, right? They used to do like, Playstation RPGs and DBZ games before Nintendo showed up with a cheque

E: Oh Nintendo bought them entirely in 2007!?

For less than a million dollars! That turned out to be one heck of a smart buy over time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol I found the Jenga shrine and just caught the ball after tipping it, only noticing the electricity gimmick it wanted me to link up with the blocks to make the little platform move into grabbing range when I was finished

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Skyrim has the Zelda DLC gear I guess but it looks laughably out of place in my opinion. Then again a lot of that game looks laughably out of place just in general

And yet I will probably start a new character in 2026 or thereabouts

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm going to eventually steal a physical copy of BOTW and possibly commit other felonies in the process. 70 bucks for digital? gently caress off. How do it and its sequel fare performance-wise on the Switch Lite?

(statement made in jest, obviously buying in some shady corner)

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 19, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm going to eventually steal a physical copy of BOTW and possibly commit other felonies in the process. 70 bucks for digital? gently caress off. How do it and its sequel fare performance-wise on the Switch Lite?

:getout:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

(statement made in jest, obviously buying in some shady corner)

dunno

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

mdemone posted:

gently caress AW2 though. It goes from piss easy to murderous at the mid game point.

skill issue

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:argh:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I think the House of the Dead remake has Woo-style. I don't know any other shooters that might.

Anybody play this recently? Launch reviews say the motion controls are wonky but it’s supposedly been patched since then. Curious if they feel better than initial impressions let on.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Went back to Pokemon Violet after a while playing Tears. Holy gently caress this game's presentation is a joke

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Went back to Pokemon Violet after a while playing Tears. Holy gently caress this game's presentation is a joke

I bought the NSO Coupon things to get TotK and something else, I was consider making that something else Pokemon Violet, (particularly before TotK dropped) but now it feels like its gonna be real rough to play after.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I bought the NSO Coupon things to get TotK and something else, I was consider making that something else Pokemon Violet, (particularly before TotK dropped) but now it feels like its gonna be real rough to play after.

Just wait for Pikmin.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just wait for Pikmin.

Is that some kind of knockoff Pokemon but good?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Metroid prime remaster is right there

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Meowywitch posted:

Metroid prime remaster is right there

It's only $40, the vouchers don't even work on it by default because it'd be a bad value.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is that some kind of knockoff Pokemon but good?

Key diff: you can eat all pikmins, but you can only eat some pokemens.

Right choice is full belly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just wait for Pikmin.

Eh, Pikmin's really not my thing. I feel like it's one of the few big Nintendo IPs that just doesn't appeal to me.

The time aspect of the first game just seemed stressful to me - I think it's less of a thing in the more recent games, but I think I just prefer the sorts of strategy games that let me build pretty bases and churn out absurd armies.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What about Advance Wars?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What about Advance Wars?

Been delayed due to the death of the Queen until 2025

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What about Advance Wars?
It's alright - Dual Strike is the one I played the most of, and have the most nostalgia for, and it feels like a bit of a miss not to include it in the 1+2 bundle.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Oxyclean posted:

Eh, Pikmin's really not my thing. I feel like it's one of the few big Nintendo IPs that just doesn't appeal to me.

The time aspect of the first game just seemed stressful to me - I think it's less of a thing in the more recent games, but I think I just prefer the sorts of strategy games that let me build pretty bases and churn out absurd armies.

You aren't alone in this but the 1st game is the only one that has somewhat aggressive timing. In 2 it's far more relaxed and days pause when underground, and in 3 it's even more relaxed because the treasures you're getting also add time onto your limit. by the end of my 100% playthrough I had a "buffer" of 45 extra days lol

i used to hate time limits as a kid to the point where even SMW would stress me out because I just wanted to explore the levels on yoshi without running out of time. but it was literally pikmin 2 that "cured" me and made me realize that time limits rule and encourage you to engage with the game in a very different way

plus you also get to have very big and ridiculous armies in pikmin. rolling into a boss lair that's "balanced" for about 20 pikmin of one color with a giant 100 pik army like you're fire ant avengers is very fun

The Postman
May 12, 2007

3 has a demo on eShop. Not sure how 3 and 4 will compare though

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

You aren't alone in this but the 1st game is the only one that has somewhat aggressive timing. In 2 it's far more relaxed and days pause when underground, and in 3 it's even more relaxed because the treasures you're getting also add time onto your limit. by the end of my 100% playthrough I had a "buffer" of 45 extra days lol

i used to hate time limits as a kid to the point where even SMW would stress me out because I just wanted to explore the levels on yoshi without running out of time. but it was literally pikmin 2 that "cured" me and made me realize that time limits rule and encourage you to engage with the game in a very different way

plus you also get to have very big and ridiculous armies in pikmin. rolling into a boss lair that's "balanced" for about 20 pikmin of one color with a giant 100 pik army like you're fire ant avengers is very fun

Majora's Mask's "timer" was super intimidating as a kid, but borrowing a (prima) strategy guide from a friend is sort of what got me to like, actually sit down play it and love it. (and also have a bunch of bad dreams about that moon as a kid lol)

The hype around 4 might get me to try it! I wasn't super excited for TotK and it turned out be a game of the year for me, so who knows.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I really hope 4 has good control options. I was really not feeling the default settings for Deluxe.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Removing the c stick bugle crowd controls was the worst change ever in pikmin

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
3 has a demo on Switch that gives you the first 3 or 4 days I think. should honestly be enough to see if pikmin is for you or not

maybealabia posted:

Removing the c stick bugle crowd controls was the worst change ever in pikmin

yeah. and the free camera controls aren't even that great in P3, I'd gladly give it up for the bugle. Deluxe did change up the charge so it's much quicker and easier to use, but it's still poo poo compared to the feeling of swarming

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Baten Kaito 1+2 HD comes out on September 14.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

KingSlime posted:

Yep other than first party Nintendo games the indie library on this thing could keep me busy for decades. Steam deck is cool for indies too but I prefer the OLED screen and lighter frame on my switch

Controls are waaay more comfortable on the deck but any of the newer third party joy con offerings can make a world of difference. Yall have heard me prattle on about mine plenty because comfort wise my OLED is on par w my deck now

Any recommendations on comfortable controllers? The Nitro Deck looks cool but possibly overkill and I don't really want to wait until September.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Read After Burning posted:

Baten Kaito 1+2 HD comes out on September 14.

:woop:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Has anyone played through Yoshi's Crafted World? Does it get difficult or does it stay as relaxed as the demo the whole time?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The next Zelda incarnation should bring back all the people that have been in like one game and return them to the world. Subrosians, Minish, Loftwings, Yeti, Twili, etc. The little robot guys from Skyward Sword can go on a joint space mission with the Zonai constructs or something.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Kikwis were cute and it’d be nice to see Deku Scrubs again

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the next zelda game should have an invasion from one of the doomed timelines trying to save themselves

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Relevant Tangent posted:

Has anyone played through Yoshi's Crafted World? Does it get difficult or does it stay as relaxed as the demo the whole time?

It gets a bit more difficult and there's one level that's unreasonably scary for kids but it's overall a very relaxed time, especially with the mode where you can always fly

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Relevant Tangent posted:

the next zelda game should have an invasion from one of the doomed timelines trying to save themselves

Yeah, A Link Between Worlds deserves a switch port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Unreal_One posted:

Yeah, A Link Between Worlds deserves a switch port.

it deserve a port into the garbage