Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of June's main events are you most looking forward t--hold on, I've just be
This poll is closed.
Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen 2 14.29%
Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peña 3 2 14.29%
Basically every single PFL fight previously planned 3 21.43%
I mean, Bhullar vs Malykhin hasn't technically been cancelled yet 7 50.00%
Total: 14 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1669940509102559237

These are the reasons heavyweight is the most-loved division.

dey clubberin, tony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Sorry this will be a long post but my initial idea turned into MMA/wrestling the aristocrats and after just over an hour of story boarding I think it is ready.

I give you Connor and the oildome: a wrestlehut original

_------------

Connor McGregor finds himself lost in the maze of mathematics not even professor Steiner could solve, trying to figure out how many packets of ramen and Thai blue dick juice flavour prime he could afford with the latest payment from proper 12. Eventually the server takes pity, does the sum for him and hands over one packet of ramen. Connor excited by his new purchase rips open the packing and takes a bite. He frowns, tears open a sachet labelled 'big seasoning - packaged in Langley from internationally sourced ingredients'. He takes another bite, smiles and nods.

Hark, what voice breaks over yonder cell block?

'Connor come fight me you dog'

So it has come, the call to the slaughter of the oildome, mentioned only in hushed tones should the dies irae befall those who mention it. Surely this moment inspired Goya to paint witches flight.

Connor put down his ramen and walked as only he could, a style not unlike an orangutan on his way down the K hole.

He arrives in the cell, steps onto the fighting piest, and immediately starts to tumble, reminiscent of a trampolinist attempting to break the record for simultaneous barrel rolls.

As he spins his feet catch any unrestrained object in the cell, sending them into the same insane spin he embarked upon.

This continues far longer than it should, other prisoners arrive to observe the impromptu show, and from done space beyond time some speculate is the pocket dimension that exists under a pro wrestling ring, Professor ibushi and his foremost expert on the mechanics of spinning collisions with concrete, aerostar, start discussing the possibility of a grand unifying theory of Dr st Piers foundational papers on aliens kidnapping dinosaurs and a man with the power to just get up. With the revelation that gravity isn't real they shake hands and walk off to write what will surely be a Nobel prize winning paper.

As if on que Connor crashes to the ground, every flying object falls on him and he looks down to see his leg now has a third joint. Allowing for the quantum superstate Joe Rogan exists in to always be 7 feet from a bigot clutching a live mic.

'so Connor, a hard loss and a sickening injury. What is next for you'

'i don't lose, the doctor robbed me again. Hey oildome man, your Arian brotherhood leader sneaked into my DMS, he says you don't even get fyad. ----stomper58s wife's

Oildome man looks up as if hearing a voice from the heavens

'it is time my son. Hurgh dangit'

He picks up a dusty and cobwebbed book, seemingly forgotten by time. On the cover it reads 'a farewell to arms. Now with new chapter 'and legs too' by internationally renowned boss of the onsen imanari-san'

As the crowd parts and the sun goes down a rustling can be heard in a forgotten corner. The camera pans to a rat feasting on Connors discarded. The rat turns towards the camera and grins. Even now Dillon danis is living off Connors scraps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1669940509102559237

These are the reasons heavyweight is the most-loved division.

Is that Wilson’s brother?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

That sure is a thing you wrote, can someone read it and tell me if it was good

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Surprised this doesn't happen more in combat sports
https://twitter.com/GLORY_WS/status/1670177775095873536?s=20

They replaced him with different ref for the rest of the fight

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Digital Jedi posted:

heard the intro to malcolm in the middle on that slowmo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thats the 2nd one in a week I've seen.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

That sure is a thing you wrote, can someone read it and tell me if it was good

it's a bit memey but there's heart to it and I'm most definitely not going to tell anyone not to try to make longform funnies in my dumbass word-swamp threads; good try, cagliostr0

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034430

Back to the GDT for the UFC at the top of the hour. Or you can watch AEW Collision at 5 like 99% of the subforum.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Strijkert is one of the coolest surnames I've seen in a while.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
meanwhile in japan https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/1670194546347474948

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Digital Jedi posted:

what's the protocol here do they have a backup ref on the air bike ring side they can just sub in?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

one of those sentences that have never been written before like "i miss pooping in space more than i miss breathing" or "dana white is TOO generous"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

what's the protocol here do they have a backup ref on the air bike ring side they can just sub in?

You have the ref who does the inspection before they get into the cage as back up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

BlindSite posted:

You have the ref who does the inspection before they get into the cage as back up.

That makes sense.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Edit: wrong thread.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

Sorry this will be a long post but my initial idea turned into MMA/wrestling the aristocrats and after just over an hour of story boarding I think it is ready.

I give you Connor and the oildome: a wrestlehut original

_------------

Connor McGregor finds himself lost in the maze of mathematics not even professor Steiner could solve, trying to figure out how many packets of ramen and Thai blue dick juice flavour prime he could afford with the latest payment from proper 12. Eventually the server takes pity, does the sum for him and hands over one packet of ramen. Connor excited by his new purchase rips open the packing and takes a bite. He frowns, tears open a sachet labelled 'big seasoning - packaged in Langley from internationally sourced ingredients'. He takes another bite, smiles and nods.

Hark, what voice breaks over yonder cell block?

'Connor come fight me you dog'

So it has come, the call to the slaughter of the oildome, mentioned only in hushed tones should the dies irae befall those who mention it. Surely this moment inspired Goya to paint witches flight.

Connor put down his ramen and walked as only he could, a style not unlike an orangutan on his way down the K hole.

He arrives in the cell, steps onto the fighting piest, and immediately starts to tumble, reminiscent of a trampolinist attempting to break the record for simultaneous barrel rolls.

As he spins his feet catch any unrestrained object in the cell, sending them into the same insane spin he embarked upon.

This continues far longer than it should, other prisoners arrive to observe the impromptu show, and from done space beyond time some speculate is the pocket dimension that exists under a pro wrestling ring, Professor ibushi and his foremost expert on the mechanics of spinning collisions with concrete, aerostar, start discussing the possibility of a grand unifying theory of Dr st Piers foundational papers on aliens kidnapping dinosaurs and a man with the power to just get up. With the revelation that gravity isn't real they shake hands and walk off to write what will surely be a Nobel prize winning paper.

As if on que Connor crashes to the ground, every flying object falls on him and he looks down to see his leg now has a third joint. Allowing for the quantum superstate Joe Rogan exists in to always be 7 feet from a bigot clutching a live mic.

'so Connor, a hard loss and a sickening injury. What is next for you'

'i don't lose, the doctor robbed me again. Hey oildome man, your Arian brotherhood leader sneaked into my DMS, he says you don't even get fyad. ----stomper58s wife's

Oildome man looks up as if hearing a voice from the heavens

'it is time my son. Hurgh dangit'

He picks up a dusty and cobwebbed book, seemingly forgotten by time. On the cover it reads 'a farewell to arms. Now with new chapter 'and legs too' by internationally renowned boss of the onsen imanari-san'

As the crowd parts and the sun goes down a rustling can be heard in a forgotten corner. The camera pans to a rat feasting on Connors discarded. The rat turns towards the camera and grins. Even now Dillon danis is living off Connors scraps.
Hah! Connor in the oil dome was my first thought as well. drat shame he is too rich to go to jail. Also, in my sleep addled state, reading this made me remember that half of roidtech is dead :(

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

More like three quarters really

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i've spent most of my life around combat sports. i for sure thought i at least knew of all the 'geniuses' across fight sports since the 90's. apparently not. today i learned a guy named dany bill exists and he moves completely unlike every other mt / kickboxing dude i've ever seen. crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5vHnGWTxo

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
That video is terrible but that dude seems legit. I would retire immediately from MT if I could land a sweep that clean in a fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

he's hitting moves you do on the rambunctious new guy to among the greatest to ever do it. repeatedly. yeah my assessment was also pretty legit.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Big foot has unretired

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lid posted:

Big foot has unretired

I had to check how long he'd been on the shelf since I remembered him retiring ages ago but, apparently, he also unretired ages ago and has done nothing but lose since, then retired again about a week ago, and is now unretiring again on the basis that he doesn't think he actually lost his last fight and wants a rematch

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I know this gets said on a nearly monthly basis at this point, but this might actually be the worst card yet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lid posted:

Big foot has unretired

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I missed the UFC card from this weekend? Is it/anything from it worth going back for?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

I know this gets said on a nearly monthly basis at this point, but this might actually be the worst card yet.

I remember thinking at least one other Holly Holm headlined card was the worst ever.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Lucasar posted:

I missed the UFC card from this weekend? Is it/anything from it worth going back for?

There were some cool fights but more notable there were multiple instances of ref incompetence.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CarlCX posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a card without a single fight I'm at all interested in before. Your preview is going to have to do some heavy lifting to get me to pay attention to anything

Lucasar posted:

Marvin Vettori vs. Jared Cannonier was a lot more fun than I expected, it's well worth watching. Kyung Ko Kang vs. Cristian Quiñonez and Nikolas Motta vs. Manuel Torres would be my other picks.

Salikhov vs. Dalby is a good fight but had some slow moments, Costa vs. Flick, Tsaryukan vs. Silva, and Almeida vs. Sabitini are all potentially worth watching if you want to follow prospects.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I feel bad for Vettori. I've never particularly been a fan of his (though he's fine), but his style has such a short shelf life, and he doesn't really have the one punch ability to supplement it a la Mark Hunt.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

I feel bad for Vettori. I've never particularly been a fan of his (though he's fine), but his style has such a short shelf life, and he doesn't really have the one punch ability to supplement it a la Mark Hunt.

Sorry, Vettori has a style?

I'm not having a go, but despite having watched him fight at least half a dozen times, I have no idea how I'd describe his style. I remember Israel looking not so hot against him. Not in the sense that Vettori was doing well, but Israel just gave the sense that he was having trouble getting going, like he was stuck in 2nd gear. I think I remember Whittaker not looking great either, same thing of not being able to get going, though I might be getting confused.

Also, that he wore his shorts the wrong way around one time.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
His style is sloppy offense no defense, or something like that anyway.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1670961425706262528?s=20

Also, card this week is early start
11:30amET prelims
3pm ET main card on ABC

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 20, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Ah, he loves beating up on old guys, win win

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1671013014890516480

The UFC removed Amanda Nunes from everything but Women's Featherweight, because she's the only thing they ever added so without her it would just be a header and a blank white rectangle.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Snowman_McK posted:

Sorry, Vettori has a style?

I'm not having a go, but despite having watched him fight at least half a dozen times, I have no idea how I'd describe his style. I remember Israel looking not so hot against him. Not in the sense that Vettori was doing well, but Israel just gave the sense that he was having trouble getting going, like he was stuck in 2nd gear. I think I remember Whittaker not looking great either, same thing of not being able to get going, though I might be getting confused.

Also, that he wore his shorts the wrong way around one time.

Vettori has brute force style imo and I think a lot of his opponents don't expect him to eat the shots he does and keep going forward. I know Cannonier and Vettori both got a bit sloppy after round 3, but for those big boys to go 5 rounds of hard slog was pretty impressive. Cannoniers back muscles looked ridiculous. I kept noticing it looked like Vettori wasn't putting a lot into his punches too. At one point I thought he might have had a hand injury (he didn't), he doesn't throw it with 'pop' if you know what I mean. Its a bludgeoning style.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Vettori is fun to watch and every time I’ve seen him interviewed he’s come across as pretty cool. He handled it well when Costa just didn’t try to make weight for their fight. It seems like he’s settling into being a top 10 gatekeeper, which is a bit weird to watch in real time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/MMAUNCENSORED1/status/1671077401097322496?s=20

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

doesn't the piss man just show up and say "piss in this world's greatest dad mug right now so i can taste test your piss"?

motherfucking conor given "show up to piss by 'x' date" dana white privilege and he can't even bother to do that even when he was ostensibly shooting a show in las loving vegas? folks, i think this serial criminal isn't all that serious about his non-criminal activities anymore

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Eat This Glob posted:

doesn't the piss man just show up and say "piss in this world's greatest dad mug right now so i can taste test your piss"?

As far as I know he travels via the door portals from Monsters, Inc, he's just barely visible in your periphery at all times if you're under contract, and he'll assume the shape of a goat when startled or chased, also he fukn loves that runny yellow sunshine the warmer the better orgolupbulpuomgrloglrp (thats the sound of him just guzzlin it down like theyre bannin piss tomorrow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Just let Chandler get fully juiced and hold the fight anyways. Two geared up bombers is what everyone wants from that fight anyways.