Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
no wonder why widdle z-man has been increasingly isolated and unhinged the past year. he listened to bojo and got hundreds of thousands of his own ppl killed because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Promised: war winning super weapon.

Delivered: tofu dreg death star

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - The biggest blow in Ukraine's counter-offensive is yet to come.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2023-06-19/ukraine-says-biggest-blow-in-offensive-is-yet-to-come

Ukraine Says 'Biggest Blow' in Offensive Is Yet to Come
By Reuters
June 19, 2023, at 7:04 p.m.

KYIV (Reuters) - Ukraine's Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar said the "biggest blow" in Kyiv's military campaign is yet to come, but admitted the operation is difficult as Russia throws all it can to stop the offensive.

"The ongoing operation has several objectives, and the military is fulfilling these tasks," Maliar said on the Telegram messaging app. "They are moving as they should have been moving. And the biggest blow is yet to come."

After months of acquiring Western weaponry, training and preparations, Ukraine began the first stage of its counteroffensive two weeks ago to reclaim the nearly fifth of its land now occupied by Russia.

"The enemy will not easily give up their positions, and we must prepare ourselves for a tough duel," Maliar said. "In fact, that is what is happening right now,"

The Ukrainian military, which had maintained strict silence about the campaign for more than a week, has since claimed small victories, saying on Monday that it has liberated several small settlements since.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said late last week the Ukrainian counteroffensive did not have any meaningful success, but officials and some Russian military bloggers say Kyiv has made small gains at the expense of huge troop and equipment losses.

It is impossible to independently verify the military operation along the most contentious points of the frontline, but Reuters was able to confirm that Ukraine's forces have been advancing in the early phase of the counteroffensive.

Maliar said that despite Ukraine's forces advancing in multiple directions in the south, Russia's forces push to advance in the east, concentrating its efforts there.

"Therefore, it is hot both in the east and in the south right now," Maliar said.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - The biggest blow in Ukraine's counter-offensive is yet to come.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2023-06-19/ukraine-says-biggest-blow-in-offensive-is-yet-to-come

Ukraine Says 'Biggest Blow' in Offensive Is Yet to Come
By Reuters
June 19, 2023, at 7:04 p.m.

KYIV (Reuters) - Ukraine's Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar said the "biggest blow" in Kyiv's military campaign is yet to come, but admitted the operation is difficult as Russia throws all it can to stop the offensive.

"The ongoing operation has several objectives, and the military is fulfilling these tasks," Maliar said on the Telegram messaging app. "They are moving as they should have been moving. And the biggest blow is yet to come."

After months of acquiring Western weaponry, training and preparations, Ukraine began the first stage of its counteroffensive two weeks ago to reclaim the nearly fifth of its land now occupied by Russia.

"The enemy will not easily give up their positions, and we must prepare ourselves for a tough duel," Maliar said. "In fact, that is what is happening right now,"

The Ukrainian military, which had maintained strict silence about the campaign for more than a week, has since claimed small victories, saying on Monday that it has liberated several small settlements since.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said late last week the Ukrainian counteroffensive did not have any meaningful success, but officials and some Russian military bloggers say Kyiv has made small gains at the expense of huge troop and equipment losses.

It is impossible to independently verify the military operation along the most contentious points of the frontline, but Reuters was able to confirm that Ukraine's forces have been advancing in the early phase of the counteroffensive.

Maliar said that despite Ukraine's forces advancing in multiple directions in the south, Russia's forces push to advance in the east, concentrating its efforts there.

"Therefore, it is hot both in the east and in the south right now," Maliar said.

lol they'd better hope so

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Starsfan posted:

I've seen analysis of Ukraine's actions that is exactly this.. they started off this offensive in June using the same tactics that were relatively successful against the so called "battalion tactical groups" that the Russian army was comprised of at the start of the SMO.. The Russian BTGs were organized with a thinly held front line (often by militia irregular types) who's primary purpose was to act as a speedbump to attacking forces while the large concentrations of artillery did their work.

The Ukrainians were working off a NATO playbook which was basically the manual on how to defeat that strategy - sending small groups of light mobile units at numerous different locations all at once with the idea of overwhelming the ability of the Russian artillery to target the attacking forces and causing the relatively weak front line to collapse into retreat. People seem to believe that they were genuinely unaware that the Russian forces had been organized into a different alignment that placed much more manpower at the front line than what had been done previously.

I mean it seems insane to suggest that Ukraine and it's NATO backers wouldn't have been aware of this change in strategy by the Russians.. I'm guessing what happened was that all of these newly mobilized forces and their commanders were trained by their NATO instructors in tactics to fight against the BTGs and by the time they realized those tactics were outdated it was too late to do anything about it so they decided to just send them anyway and hope for the best? And by "too late to do anything about it" I mean too late to re-train the soldiers and their officers prior to the jump off date for the much ballyhooed spring counter offensive which was the regime's lifeline for NATO funding

In their defense, its hard to stop once you get going. After forces are committed its tough to make changes on the fly especially if there are Big Plans involved

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I wonder what the vibration from a tank engine does to an onboard server rack with "battle space" stencilled on it over a couple months.

It's called dithering and improved the mechanical fire control system in world war 2 :pseudo:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

In their defense, its hard to stop once you get going. After forces are committed its tough to make changes on the fly especially if there are Big Plans involved

They should have known this last November when "lol BTGs suck so bad Russia stopped using them" was pretty widely reported in Western press

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Ukrainian troops in the Tavrisk (Zaporizhia) direction have advanced up to seven kilometers and liberated 113 square kilometers of territory, including eight settlements in western Donetsk and western Zaporizhia oblasts.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-19-2023

RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, JUNE 19, 2023

Ukrainian forces conducted counteroffensive operations in at least three sectors of the frontline and made gains on June 19. A Russian milblogger reported that Ukrainian troops continued attacks northwest, northeast, and southwest of Bakhmut on June 19 and claimed that Ukrainian forces advanced near Krasnopolivka (about 12km northeast of Bakhmut).[1]

Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Malyar additionally announced that over the past week, Ukrainian troops in the Tavrisk (Zaporizhia) direction have advanced up to seven kilometers and liberated 113 square kilometers of territory, including eight settlements in western Donetsk and western Zaporizhia oblasts.[2]

Russian milbloggers claimed that Ukrainian troops attacked south of Velyka Novosilka in western Donetsk Oblast.[3]

Geolocated footage posted on June 19 confirms that Ukrainian troops liberated Pyatykhatky, about 25km southwest of Orikhiv in western Zaporizhia Oblast.[4]

Milbloggers also reported fighting south and southwest of Orikhiv over the course of the day on June 19.[5]

The UK Ministry of Defense (MoD) assessed on June 19 that Russia has likely deployed large portions of the Dnipro Grouping of Forces from the east (left) bank of Kherson Oblast to the Zaporizhia and Bakhmut directions to respond to Ukrainian counteroffensive actions over the past 10 days.[6]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao the list that everybody points to for losses was some blogger? of course

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i genuinely can't believe that ukraine and russia came to an agreement, and then zelensky's government let nato scuttle it. just the despicable cherry on top of this stupid war.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

PRE-ORDER your UKRAINE COUNTER-OFFENSIVE coin from the White House Gift Shop. https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com/Ukrainian-Counteroffensive-p/ukrainian-counteroffensive.htm

lol you don't even get free shipping on 100 dollars

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
true to life...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harm reduction candidate

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

If I was a Ukrainian realizing the West has prolonged this war for no reason would piss me off more than the Russians. But than again I'm not political

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

If I was a Ukrainian realizing the West has prolonged this war for no reason would piss me off more than the Russians.

Most Ukrainians aren't ever going to hear that, though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Most Ukrainians aren't ever going to hear that, though.

That is true, or probably dismiss it as Russian lies, like how every lib in the west will react if they hear about it. Since the start of the war it's come off as the Iran-Iraq all over again to me but done by fail kids..so they go to the Saudis to crash the price of oil only to be rejected hilariously this time. And using the Ukrianians as a test site for our latest weapons is jist totally in like with that, like givng Iraq lasee guided bombs to test them out, only to use them again them a few years later

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KomradeX posted:

If I was a Ukrainian realizing the West has prolonged this war for no reason would piss me off more than the Russians. But than again I'm not political
putin would have never accepted the deal, the deal was bad, its a good thing the deal was never accepted, etc. problem solved noob.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i cannot overstate how much people don't think about the march-april negotiations even in the west where there's nominal freedom of information and we really can substantively make this case. in ukraine, there's overt censorship and the security agencies are acting with some impunity and so you don't want to say anything that could get you in trouble, especially if you're a military-aged man. any real discussion of those talks and their implications rests on relatively poorly-substantiated claims made by individuals with motives towards self-aggrandisment or anonymous sources, which it's easy to dismiss if you're a true believer in the righteousness of your cause and the infinite perfidy of the russians, and the russians are invading ukraine which means that ukrainians will not tend to look charitably at their motivations even absent the massive propaganda.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i cannot overstate how much people don't think about the march-april negotiations even in the west where there's nominal freedom of information and we really can substantively make this case. in ukraine, there's overt censorship and the security agencies are acting with some impunity and so you don't want to say anything that could get you in trouble, especially if you're a military-aged man. any real discussion of those talks and their implications rests on relatively poorly-substantiated claims made by individuals with motives towards self-aggrandisment or anonymous sources, which it's easy to dismiss if you're a true believer in the righteousness of your cause and the infinite perfidy of the russians, and the russians are invading ukraine which means that ukrainians will not tend to look charitably at their motivations even absent the massive propaganda.

Yeah I can't fault the Ukrainians for not wanting to hear Russia's justifications, but if I found out that the West derailed a peace process to keep the war going suddenly that the US provoked thia would seem much more reasonable. But than again if someone invaded the US I'd turn collaborator so fast

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I had a look for anyone talking about the peace deal, like even just to discredit it, but nope nothing

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great news for Ukraine - Between Ukraine's puissant air defences and Russia's general incompetence, Russia's attack drones and missiles caused no injuries or deaths and only resulted in minimal property damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f087e45653fd80c

22m ago
07.45 BST

Here is an overnight summary of developments in Ukraine as reported by Suspilne on its official Telegram channel:

At night, the Russian Federation released 35 “Shahed” attack drones over Ukraine – 32 of them were shot down. Anti-aircraft defence operated in most regions, but the main direction of the attack was Kyiv region.

In the Kyiv region non-residential structures and several private houses were damaged by debris. There were no casualties or injuries.

In Lviv, there were three hits on a critically important object. There was a fire. People were not injured. Due to shelling, the routes of three trams in the city were changed.

Zaporizhzhia and its suburbs were fired at with seven S-300 missiles at night: they damaged agricultural property and equipment and one of the recreation areas. There were no injuries or damage to residential buildings.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Only three hits on a critically important object? That's not merely puissant, that's downright beaucoup

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Tired: Sending your prison population forth to hack the enemy with shovels
Wired: Sending forth your gamer population to club the enemy with xboxes

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1670895127621926915#m

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

KomradeX posted:

The reaction will just be that Russia shouldn't invaded in the first place (which is fair), but unfortunately we're now in a state where no one wants to negotiate. Just in it for the long bloody grind.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

a gamer holocaust is happening before the eyes of the world

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Not So Fast posted:

The reaction will just be that Russia shouldn't invaded in the first place (which is fair), but unfortunately we're now in a state where no one wants to negotiate. Just in it for the long bloody grind.

Yeah, this really will be decided on the battlefield: the war will continue until one side is either too weakened to keep fighting, or loses the will to keep fighting.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
No one likes their country being invaded, but there must be some heads that must have cooled to a degree and realized this is a war they can't really win either, the Russians are only going to take more not less territory and the Ukrainians will pay a heavy price for it.

The problem is the time for negotiation has passed and Ukraine's leverage is practically getting weaker by the day. Their best case scenario at this point is a broken, bankrupt country that has lost a large chunk of its population and industrial base. They may not even get NATO or EU entry out of it either.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

You ever seen two original xboxes bolted onto each end of a wooden fighting staff by the warrior monks of Saint Petersburg? Terrifying.

(distant Halo 1 noises, eyes glaze over from PTSD)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1670915098737606657

this is like maybe one week's worth of ammo isn't it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

a gamer holocaust is happening before the eyes of the world

I dub it...Gamergate.

...what do you mean that one's taken?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
trying to use the fact that the west sabotaged a peace deal to convince shitlibs is doomed to fail because it assumes that said shitlibs care more about the ukrainian people than they do about hating russians

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

I dub it...Gamergate.

...what do you mean that one's taken?

have you tried the plural form?

https://www.gamersgate.com/

aw DANGIT!!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

2-3 days. Let's round down to an easy 48 hours.

Actually no I take that back. With their artillery park it might last longer due to the lack of things to actually fire them from.

But look how shiny they are! So pretty.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

That is like 8-12 hours of ammo for the Russians, maybe little more than a week for the Ukrainians.

There is a fair point to be made is just NATO intervention isn't going to happen because frankly NATO is no where near ready for one including the US. Poland's army is about 66,000 troops, and they already send most of their reserve armor, and now are awkwardly trying to balance systems from 4 MBTS from 4 different countries. Germany and the UK are not even close to prime time, and whatever committed from France and Italy would be minor. (Turkey is off doing its own thing at this point as well).

It would be pretty much the US having to go in and even then there is a massive backlog on many systems, and the US can only commit a relatively small force because it is so overcommitted elsewhere.

I don't think a force about 50-80k (the US can't send everything if it means exposing themselves to the PRC) that is going to be light on ammo is going to be enough to scare the Russians away and would only likely get themselves killed. The Ukrainian army itself was supposed to be the bastion of Europe.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Jun 20, 2023

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
these are German Wunderwaffen shells, way ahead of whatever soviet crap the Russians are using

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

KomradeX posted:

Between that and the inevitable feelings of "we'd have won if the west didn't stab us in the back by pulling support" once we get bored and move on, things should be interesting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
But Western puppet assets have never turned on their masters in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
googled for the Zelensky's rise to fallen US puppet pantheon meme but found this gem instead

bonus: