Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lol at my sub is rated for 4k, lets go to 6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
why don't they just send some more guys down there in another sub

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://youtu.be/dQCvtPS2fLc?t=98

They drop the ballast, 'By having the passengers move to one side and it rolls off' :aaa: :psyduck:

Ok. If someone explains that's how the ballast is dropped, and you still get in the sub. Sorry son, that's on you.:colbert:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Short answer, text messages. On the phone. Slowly. That's it.

I want the long answer dude. How do the text messages get back and forth down there?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

So which ocean has been certified as safe by the certification agencies?

The ocean of sweet dreams in the land of happiness and rainbows. The Mercator projection always leaves it off it's maps, as it can not be stated enough the Mercator projection sucks.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Blow posted:

I want the long answer dude. How do the text messages get back and forth down there?

Starlink, evidently. As far as I can tell, it's whatever kind of internet Starlink sends out. As to how well that works under miles of water? Not great, evidently! To be fair, this hasn't been a problem for anyone up until now, so I can't blame anyone for not really knowing how well wifi or whatever Starlink is works in the deep abyss.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

With the kind of ridiculous money this billionaire had he could have gotten an ROV to dive down there and set up some VR experience with all kinds of bells and whistles, like let people go diving in a pool and pretend theyre swimming around the wreck itself. All that tech exists, all the people who could make sure it happens safely exist. But nope, people think all that money makes them immune to consequences like danger and death.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

With the kind of ridiculous money this billionaire had he could have gotten an ROV to dive down there and set up some VR experience with all kinds of bells and whistles, like let people go diving in a pool and pretend theyre swimming around the wreck itself. All that tech exists, all the people who could make sure it happens safely exist. But nope, people think all that money makes them immune to consequences like danger and death.

you don't become a billionaire by shelling out on frivolous adventures

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

They drop the ballast, 'By having the passengers move to one side and it rolls off' :aaa: :psyduck:

Ok. If someone explains that's how the ballast is dropped, and you still get in the sub. Sorry son, that's on you.:colbert:

In hindsight describing a safety feature of the sub as "janky" should tell everyone everything they need to know about this death trap

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Well, the good news is a position recently became available...

https://oceangate.com/about/career-opportunities/submersible-pilot.html

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Barudak posted:

Lol at my sub is rated for 4k, lets go to 6k

I got the impression that they failed the 4k and then decided that certification is for losers let's go 6k!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I got the impression that they failed the 4k and then decided that certification is for losers let's go 6k!

Oh, well excuse me, I think we need to upgrade to a complimentary double lol.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Well, the good news is a position recently became available...

https://oceangate.com/about/career-opportunities/submersible-pilot.html

I mean I could do that. It's just like an elevator all you need to do is press the button for the ground floor, than when your done press the button for the top floor.

Just need to remember not to press the door open button while underwater.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

dr_rat posted:

I mean I could do that. It's just like an elevator all you need to do is press the button for the ground floor, than when your done press the button for the top floor.

Necessary job qualifications:

* At least 6,000-8,000 hours experience with a game controller
* Able to operate under pressure
* One, ideally two working fingers to press the button.
* Ability to text at 20 WPM
* Documented body compressibility ratio of at least 160:1
* High school diploma, or equivalent work experience.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wee posted:

Costco Thomas Andrews

this is extremely unfair to Thomas andrews

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

dr_rat posted:

There's no door to open, they're sealed in.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I lost my sub
Under the sea
To that little life
So much to me

And now I moan
And now I holler
They'll never know
Just what I found

Little fish, big fish, swimming in the water
Come back here, man, save me from slaughter
Little fish, big fish, swimming in the water
Come back here, man, save me from slaughter

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

^^^ P.J. Harvey

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Starlink, evidently. As far as I can tell, it's whatever kind of internet Starlink sends out. As to how well that works under miles of water? Not great, evidently! To be fair, this hasn't been a problem for anyone up until now, so I can't blame anyone for not really knowing how well wifi or whatever Starlink is works in the deep abyss.

I personally, as a billionaire, would have used a 3.8km long fibre optic cable on a sturdy cable attached to the submersible for comms. Although I suppose that could get entangled. Maybe some directionally-focused sonar system as well? And the big rear end winch on a ship could pull you up with great force if you were to become entangled, whereas with dumping ballast at zero buoyancy there is gently caress all force to break free at first.

Good thing I'm not a billionaire :downs:

Blow fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 20, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grem posted:

There's no door to open, they're sealed in.

Well the door open buttons never work anyway so that works out nicely.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Ralph Crammed In posted:

My mind keeps lingering on how there are no chairs or seats. They sit on the floor like kindergartners. It's not part of a sexy explorer/adventurer image. The ALVIN has a little seat and benches to take your positions on, not to mention tons of dials and gauges and poo poo, but this is the total visual antithesis of what an explorer's vessel should look like. It's not right, and I would presume that would put off anyone with half a functioning brain to not get into it.

Yeah same here. I couldnt believe it didnt even have seats.

They keep comparing the sub to a minivan but minivans seems like they have way more room.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not terribly related question: could they have dangled a kilometre long underwater antenna from the ship or is that not feasible?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Titanic sinking of a giant psy op and these people were killed before they could learn the truth

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We need more billionaire death traps. Comrade Everest and Comrade Titanic cant kill them all fast enough.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Ive just realised the possibility that some kind of failsafe worked and they were able to surface but now they're just sat there bobbing along without communications and nobody knows where the gently caress they are but they're going to suffocate anyway because there's no way to open the door from the inside.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The absolute sketchiest thing about this isnt the wierd controls, or the poop bag, or the ballast, its that theyre using spiral wound carbon fibre in compression.

Composites like carbon fibre are directional. They are noy good in compression, at all. In tension the epoxy resin sticks the strands together so they can take the load. In compression the strands do literally nothing except stop the now compressed epoxy from sliding.

Some studies put the compressive strength of carbon fibre at 20-40% of its UTS because of this. Its insanely bad choice of material for a sub.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Matinee posted:

Ive just realised the possibility that some kind of failsafe worked and they were able to surface but now they're just sat there bobbing along without communications and nobody knows where the gently caress they are but they're going to suffocate anyway because there's no way to open the door from the inside.

You Goonsir are a vastly superior engineer to whoever decided that deathtrap is seaworthy!
Hold your head high.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Three Olives posted:

Why would you do this?

Cool speaker setup from ca. 1999, not pictured a 4 MB memory stick that included a 128 kbit mp3 of Mambo No.5 that played on repeat through RealPlayer.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Matinee posted:

If only they had some sort of emergency alert signal in case of disaster so they could direct rescue boats to their position. But those cost more than $50 bucks so it's simply impossible.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Someone grabbed the wrong controller when they were racing 150cc star cup and crashed the sub lol

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

CNN posted:

Cohen referred to a CBS report that last year the vessel was lost for more than two hours unable to get messages from the surface, which it relies on to figure out where to go theres no GPS onboard.

So the vessel already had known communication issues which impact its GPS.

WHY WOULD ANYONE SEAL INTO THIS AND SINK INTO THE OCEAN? Lord.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
:banjo:
Were all dyin in
a ghetto submarine
a ghetto submarine
a ghetto submarine

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lotta goons discovering itt that shoestring budgets for science tend to create interesting design decisions

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I would prefer not to die trapped in a tiny sub and running out of oxygen

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OMFG FURRY posted:

lotta goons discovering itt that shoestring budgets for science tend to create interesting design decisions

Pretty sure none of this was about science.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Nooner posted:

Well the leading theory is that the tube imploded and crushed them all so they didn't exactly run out of oxygen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

We should immortalise those brave explorers who gave everything to test whether a DIY Groversub is a good idea. It wasn't.

I for one always suspected as much but only now I can be certain.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nooner posted:

No adventurous spirit, I will bet that you live a long time and only die of unpreventable causes. You sissy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Nooner posted:

Coward

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

so like if it somehow ends up settled on the ocean floor there is no way to get the ballast off?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nooner posted:

Look however you think your days going to go when you wake up in the morning, some days just be like that.

Nothing you can do about it. The hands of fate are mysterious and sometimes they just like seeing random people stuck in tiny subs.