Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So there's not just the potential for a dead billionaire, but that, if still alive, they die cold and in the dark deep underwater, slowly suffocating over four days as their hope fades and they realize all their money amounts to nothing as nobody rescues them?

Good day. A good four days even :allears:.

Dude what the gently caress is wrong with you lmao. Like yeah I am also sickened by the vast wealth these people have but lusting for them to die horrifically is a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

razamataza posted:

Dude what the gently caress is wrong with you lmao. Like yeah I am also sickened by the vast wealth these people have but lusting for them to die horrifically is a bit much

Yeah, guillotines are way more humane

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t think we should lust for these wealthy people’s deaths, much less painful ones, but the obituaries and fawning coverage of their “contributions to society” are going to be very disproportionate and distasteful when compared to what we get for any run of the mill fatal accident.

If mourning was in proportion to the value of a life, they should get similar coverage to the kid who jumped off the party boat in Florida.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Nar, its ok for people to lust after billionaire death, you don't ever make that amount of money without brutally exploiting folks.

I am this threads moral compass now and I say kill em all

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

alf_pogs posted:

that's probably one of the best billionaire-killing machines i've ever seen

second only to mt everest

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Someone better at bullying Musk than me bully him into summiting Everest in Winter.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Halisnacks posted:

Billionaires’ midlife crises and other bouts with ennui are definitely more spectacular. Freeze to death on Everest, spend billions on Twitter while becoming increasingly addicted to it, compress in the depths of the ocean.

Weird, people usually take time off work to relax and decompress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Between the orcas and the sub, sea's doing work lately

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Halisnacks posted:

Billionaires’ midlife crises and other bouts with ennui are definitely more spectacular. Freeze to death on Everest, spend billions on Twitter while becoming increasingly addicted to it, compress in the depths of the ocean.
You left out one of my fave 'billionaire dies by unforced error' headlines:

Billionaire diamond tycoon dies during Paris penis enlargement operation

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

razamataza posted:

Real talk I don't actually want to kill the rich and I'm fully aware that it wouldn't solve any problems because the underlying economic systems remain the same. Overthrowing those systems and forcing these people to live normal lives working menial jobs would be far worse torture for them anyway.

All that said I'm still gonna laugh at them, especially when they bring it upon themselves cause their libertarian brainworms didn't let them see that walking into this obvious deathtrap was a bad idea.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

gschmidl posted:

Someone better at bullying Musk than me bully him into summiting Everest in Winter.

Nah, he's too chicken. No way he's brave enough or cool enough to try to summit. And if he somehow does work up the nerve there's no way he'd be as savvy as Trump to cut off the dead weight and fire his sherpas for trying to steal his glory

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Someone tell him that if he summits K2 in winter, they'll rename it Mount Musk 420/69

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teratrain posted:

We're just going to keep sending the inheritors down to the bottom of the ocean until the wealth is spread out enough that no one person has more than a billion, thus finally reducing the number of billionaires.

Now you've got me wondering what the natural tendency would be if you did this — whether the wealth would spread out to lots of smaller millionaires, or if all the billionaires would just bequeath their money to the same beneficiaries for some reason until on a long enough time scale you would have one giant fat spider hoarding all the wealth of the planet

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Teratrain posted:

Weird, people usually take time off work to relax and decompress.

I will say that capitalism has likely infected billionaires’ brains too so they truly believe they have the do SOMETHING (and that something should somehow be proportional to their obscene wealth).

I don’t think the landed gentry felt this same ludicrous urge.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Data Graham posted:

Between the orcas and the sub, sea's doing work lately

Sharks too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1671037716052733952

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

First reaction: "No way, the guy with the candy wall in his mansion who wouldn't smoke weed with Snoop?"

necroid
May 14, 2009

Data Graham posted:

First reaction: "No way, the guy with the candy wall in his mansion who wouldn't smoke weed with Snoop?"

I think you're confusing valve's gabe newell with minecraft's notch

unless it was a joke? :thejoke:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

necroid posted:

I think you're confusing valve's gabe newell with minecraft's notch

unless it was a joke? :thejoke:

Show me two differences between Half Life and Minecraft. :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean my second reaction was something else

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Half Life knew when it peaked

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Binary Logic posted:

You left out one of my fave 'billionaire dies by unforced error' headlines:

Billionaire diamond tycoon dies during Paris penis enlargement operation

Man stupid enough to think penis enlargement surgery is real has more money than like every single person in the city I'm in combined. Well.

Had. Small favors I suppose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/halkyardo/status/1671000633845993473

TO-DO: Add Emergency Locator Beacon.

We'll get around to that eventually, it'll be fine...

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Issue closed: sub destroyed

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The sub was diving to about 12,000ft which is ~3650 meters.

Pressure increases 1 atmosphere ever 10 meters.

So, 365 BAR = 5,300 PSI

I don't wish for the billionaires to be dead, but I would find it very funny just like I will laugh at the first billionaire to die in space travel.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

not sure which is funnier "why didn't the Titanic have good wifi" or "millions of lives"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

apparently they lost contact in the last 15 minutes of the dive, that sub could fit in a small suitcase now.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
My wife when I mentioned the sub to her: "Oh my god that's horrible. They'll probably die."

Me: "At least one of them was a billionaire."

Her: "Oh, that's not so bad then."

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
If only we could have gotten Ian Miles Cheong to convince Elon to be on that sub.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Does it have a knife on it or something?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Elon, the code to remove all shadow bans from Twitter was written on the side of the Titanic.

Not sure I'd trust Gabe's sub either. There were some issues he swore were going to be hammered out in the third version.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Listen, I'm not "happy" that these people are very likely dead. But I still am, I don't know — not sad? A little smug, even? But that's weird, obviously, because death is sad.

But I think I've figured out why I'm smirking and saying "what idiots." It's my reaction to the most blatant "gently caress you" anyone could ever give me, or anyone: "It's just my life -- who cares what happens?"

People who die in stupid, obvious, preventable ways are disrespecting the very idea of Life. Their own. Mine. Everyone's. They throw away the most precious gift in the universe over vanity, or greed, or arrogance, or any number of sins.

The people in that sub committed their lives to a hacked-together, unprofessional, poorly thought-out submarine that anyone in their right mind could see was a bad idea, but did it anyway, and in doing so they cheapened Life itself.

Perhaps it's for that that I'm angry at them, because my own life is worth so much to me, so much more to me than theirs was to them. And that's why I feel like this.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dynastocles posted:

Listen, I'm not "happy" that these people are very likely dead. But I still am, I don't know — not sad? A little smug, even? But that's weird, obviously, because death is sad.

But I think I've figured out why I'm smirking and saying "what idiots." It's my reaction to the most blatant "gently caress you" anyone could ever give me, or anyone: "It's just my life -- who cares what happens?"

People who die in stupid, obvious, preventable ways are disrespecting the very idea of Life. Their own. Mine. Everyone's. They throw away the most precious gift in the universe over vanity, or greed, or arrogance, or any number of sins.

The people in that sub committed their lives to a hacked-together, unprofessional, poorly thought-out submarine that anyone in their right mind could see was a bad idea, but did it anyway, and in doing so they cheapened Life itself.

Perhaps it's for that that I'm angry at them, because my own life is worth so much to me, so much more to me than theirs was to them.

Are you looking for the word Schadenfreude?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

E the Shaggy posted:

If only we could have gotten Ian Miles Cheong to convince Elon to be on that sub.

would be cramped in there with all his bodyguards

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Work around: turn off the internet so the bystanders can't tweet making fun of us.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

pixaal posted:

Are you looking for the word Schadenfreude?

Nah it's more than Schadenfreude.

It's Lebensgleichgultigswut.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

zedprime posted:

Work around: turn off the internet so the bystanders can't tweet making fun of us.

I heard on the news this morning that the sub company is contacting anyone who went in the death tube previously to keep their mouth shut. "Out of respect" of course.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Mostly I’m upset that this isolated incident is going to set the dangerous Billionaire shipwreck tourism industry back by years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm definitely not going to cry in my beer over idiots who decided to dive into the ocean in a tin can to look at a shipwreck. I wish the media gave half as much of a poo poo for average people who go missing or get into accidents than they do for people with much more money than sense.