Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/USCGNortheast/status/1671144862022868994

If it imploded would it even show up on sonar?

Wee fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My dad was a (diesel) submariner and it was 100% understood by everybody on board that if they had a problem, they solved it themselves or they were dead

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is the scariest way I can imagine to die. Stuck in what's basically a big coffin, no light at all, and no idea if anyone is on the way to save you.

It's also the funniest because it cost someone 250k dollars to do this, so it's not like a good person was inside that sub.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I hope they got imploded because the alternative is terrifying to consider and also as they'll never be found it should generate a load of dumb conspiracy theories.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

For al billionaires reading through the SA forums: please don't let this unfortunate incident deter you from exploring hostile environs, you can even just take a spontaneous trip into the desert* without stopping to inform people or get supplies!
* hot or cold variety

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
lol, has a billion dollars but still has to share a coffin.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

dew worm posted:

Yeah same here. I couldn’t believe it didn’t even have seats.

They keep comparing the sub to a minivan but minivans seems like they have way more room.

I watched that Tom Scott video recently where he went in a submarine simulator, and he was acting so amazed at how realistic it all seemed.

I thought it looked really unrealistic and like a puzzle room from the Crystal Maze, but that silly little submersible blew that opinion out of the water.

What a dumb way to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlHDnbEIDA

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

BBC reporting they've been doing radar searches and the Coast Guard is moving their search to deep waters now and there are sonar ships coming to the scene. Sounds like the searchers have pretty much given up on the theory that it's surfaced.

i doubt they’ve stopped searching the surface, they’re probably doing both in parallel because they have no clue. however, the rescue efforts should focus on the survivable scenarios, which would be that they surfaced without working comms or that they are stuck / very slowly ascending at some intermediate depth where a rescue could perhaps be attempted.

they’re probably already dead in a crumpled heap on the floor of the ocean but that’s not a useful rescue scenario to put all their tools toward in the first few days.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CuwiKhons posted:

The Coast Guard estimates I saw were saying that they have until Friday morning at the absolute latest. Likely they have even less air than that, but Friday is when they can officially classify them as dead.

I assume the billionaire killed the others on board the second things started going wrong so I figure 96 hours of air for 5 people is, what, 480 hours for one dude?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

fishing with the fam posted:

lol, has a billion dollars but still has to share a coffin.

some people of extreme wealth throughout history have shared their tomb with their adoring servants, there’s precedent here

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1671141006224261120

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
stop, I can only get so erect

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/shahzada-dawood-son-among-missing-titanic-bound-sub/

quote:

One of Pakistan’s wealthiest men, who has ties to King Charles, is confirmed to be among the five aboard the Titanic-bound submersible that vanished Sunday.

Shahzada Dawood, 48, and his son Sulaiman Dawood, 19, are two of the paying tourists who embarked on the 12,500-foot dive to view the famous shipwreck on OceanGate Expeditions sub, the Titan — 370 miles off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, according to the Associated Press.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I hope they got imploded because the alternative is terrifying to consider and also as they'll never be found it should generate a load of dumb conspiracy theories.

:tinfoil:

They were abducted by the tribe of the descendants of Irish 3rd class passengers who use potted plants to turn carbon dioxide into oxygen and survive off the Titanic's food stores.

Living in one of the portions of the ship sealed off from the crushing depths, they quake at the groaning of the hull as they jig and swap stories of Tír na nÓg as they've descended into cannibalism and paganism over the past century!

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Shehzada Dawood & Suleman Dawood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussain_Dawood

Hamish Harding
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Harding

Paul Henri Nargeole
No wiki page https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/20/paul-henri-nargeolet-mr-titanic-missing-titan-submarine/

Stockton Rush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OceanGate,_Inc.

Wee fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 20, 2023

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

Blow posted:

Most excellent thread title change.

:hfive:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

DickParasite posted:

I assume the billionaire killed the others on board the second things started going wrong so I figure 96 hours of air for 5 people is, what, 480 hours for one dude?

There's no way there's a significant amount of food or, more importantly, fresh water in that sub. Even accounting for now having fewer people to share it with, it's still not pretty.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

IIRC that's how they originally found the Titanic. It was discovered during some expedition in the 70s and they kept it hush hush for a while and then later tipped of researchers where to look.

That claim was originally made by PH Nargeolet, who’s judgement is somewhat suspect. He went missing on an expedition to the Titanic aboard a libertarian death sub.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CuwiKhons posted:

There's no way there's a significant amount of food or, more importantly, fresh water in that sub. Even accounting for now having fewer people to share it with, it's still not pretty.

There's plenty of food for the surviving billionaire.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

$250000 each for a group casket seems kind of pricey

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

CuwiKhons posted:

blood is a great supply of water and nutrients, and billionaires are definitely not afraid of indulging it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DickParasite posted:

At the very least we can assume everyone else murdered the CEO as soon as they were stuck, so like an extra 20ish hours.

Bad Purchase posted:

however, the rescue efforts should focus on the survivable scenarios, which would be that they surfaced without working comms or that they are stuck / very slowly ascending at some intermediate depth where a rescue could perhaps be attempted.

Oh yeah, the deeply stupid "Deballast by rocking the boat around" thing could easily have left them like halfway to the surface.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I heard that the sub has no seats and a single toilet.

Like why. I'd think these fucks would insist on a toilet and bidet each.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ELTON JOHN posted:

would like to take a moment to remind everyone that over 300 pakistani migrants died when their boat capsized off the coast of greece last week

i wonder which incident is getting more airtime

The really funny one?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

$250000 each for a group casket seems kind of pricey

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

OMFG FURRY posted:

blood is a great supply of water and nutrients, and billionaires are definitely not afraid of indulging it
You know it's not the same if it isn't the blood of a child.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I heard that the sub has no seats and a single toilet.

Like why. I'd think these fucks would insist on a toilet and bidet each.

A bidet?? That's way too expensive! We're trying to make money here!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

DickParasite posted:

There's plenty of food for the surviving billionaire.

OMFG FURRY posted:

Yeah okay, fair enough, but also that means living in a metal tube at the bottom of the ocean with four corpses and a growing mountain of piss and poo poo for like three weeks before you finally croak. Personally I would rather just die, but I guess I'm also not the kind of person who would put themselves into that sort of idiotic situation so maybe that's preferable to him.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm also not the kind of person who would put themselves into that sort of idiotic situation so maybe that's preferable to him.

Intelligence and logic is not a requirement to be a billionaire. See: Elon Musk

naem
May 29, 2011

it has no windows?

if you’re looking at a screen why not just send a drone for video

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why would anyone here think an english prep school boy named Hamish wouldnt be the first to go

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

naem posted:

it has no windows?

if you’re looking at a screen why not just send a drone for video

No no, it has a window in the front. Right above the shitter.

No, really.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
dont forget it has Windows Vista

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm sorry that they're dying like this as it seems like a really terrible way to go but they literally paid to do it and that blows my mind. Surely, if the thing didn't essentially implode from water pressure and instantly kill everyone, their last thought has to be "I paid to do this"?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh yeah you die after three days of no water so uh, air isn't gonna exactly matter in this scenario assuming it didn't implode

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm sorry that they're dying like this as it seems like a really terrible way to go but they literally paid to do it and that blows my mind. Surely, if the thing didn't essentially implode from water pressure and instantly kill everyone, their last thought has to be "I paid to do this"?

Presumably its "I paid to do this at a discount???"

Like 250k is meaningless sum of money for these people, why not spring for the supremo actually rated for 6k package?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
someone opened the little window after making GBS threads i just solved the case for everyone

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

funeral home DJ posted:

IIRC the US navy has a program they made for rapid response to downed subs (the Russian sub that was stuck at the bottom of the ocean was a pretty solid example of when it would be needed) but I think these guys are exceeding the maximum depth most military submarines can operate so they’re hosed regardless.

RIP dudes in a metal dong, you’re now the “Green Boots” of the ocean.

Metal Dong lol. Needs to be incorporated into the thread title somehow.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

"man I'm glad I picked this sub over the more expensive one"

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
This isn't usually what I'm picturing when I say I want to see billionaires go under, but I'll take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Oh yeah you die after three days of no water so uh, air isn't gonna exactly matter in this scenario assuming it didn't implode

I would think they would have brought something. They would have been down there half a day if all things went as planned. And if they're going to have a few days of air, you'd think there would be some amount of food/water just in case.

But they are all idiots soooo.