Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Im only following this person for further updates on the situation

https://twitter.com/Stellar17Arya/status/1671096936902926336

https://twitter.com/Stellar17Arya/status/1671158707563151362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

If they can get cell signals in they should be able to get signals out right? Why would they not have a standard emergency beacon broadcasting on the guard frequency.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

If they can get cell signals in they should be able to get signals out right? Why would they not have a standard emergency beacon broadcasting on the guard frequency.

They are very presidential

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Humanity's evolutionarily advantageous ability to see patterns in complex things and humanity's penchant for brainworms, all in one tweet.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

JerikTelorian posted:

probably because they were dumb as gently caress

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

spending resources on rescue equipment is self defeating, if you prepare to fail you will fail. better to put those resources toward guaranteeing mission success.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

JerikTelorian posted:

out of buttons on the mad catz controller

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Wikipedia list of inventors killed by their own inventions claims another victim.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JerikTelorian posted:

Yeah if they are sending messages it's not via cell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_with_submarines

Even extremely low frequency radio only apparently gets too a few hundred meters. They have possibly janked up some other solution but who knows.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm sorry that they're dying like this as it seems like a really terrible way to go but they literally paid to do it and that blows my mind. Surely, if the thing didn't essentially implode from water pressure and instantly kill everyone, their last thought has to be "I paid to do this"?

John Jacob Astor probably thought the same thing, in the same spot, 111 years ago.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I doubt anyone on board Groversub is as big a Chad as Benjamin Guggenheim, who, upon realizing that he had no hope of getting into a lifeboat, changed into his fanciest clothes with his secretary and spent the rest of his life smoking cigars and drinking brandy to "go down like gentlemen".

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
Imagine calling your submersible the Titan only to have it be crushed by something as not-Titanlike as depth lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gorgeous Zan posted:

Imagine calling your submersible the Titan only to have it be crushed by something as not-Titanlike as depth lmao

Good av imo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dr_rat posted:

Even extremely low frequency radio only apparently gets too a few hundred meters. They have possibly janked up some other solution but who knows.

quote:

Titan communicates with the topside comms and tracking team via text messages which are exchanged via a USBL (ultra-short baseline) acoustic system.

Whatever that is

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zesty posted:

Whatever that is

Two tin cans with a string obviously.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

ThinkTank posted:

The Wikipedia list of inventors killed by their own inventions claims another victim.

quote:

Thomas Andrews, Jr. (1873–1912) was an Irish-born British businessman and shipbuilder. He was managing director and head of the drafting department of the shipbuilding company Harland and Wolff in Belfast, Ireland. As the naval architect in charge of the plans for the ocean liner RMS Titanic, he was travelling on board that vessel during her maiden voyage when the ship hit an iceberg on 14 April 1912. He perished along with more than 1,500 others. His body was never recovered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventors_killed_by_their_own_invention

Again, :thunk:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Gorgeous Zan posted:

Following the trend, the next submarine to sink there will be even smaller and called "Tit".

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Whatever that is

Unless I'm wrong, the Wikipedia description says the way they were using it isnt the way it works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-short_baseline_acoustic_positioning_system

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I feel bad for the 19 year old kid but the others are an lol

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

dr_rat posted:

We should train whales to communicate for us. Like Windtalkers, but whales

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I'll be having a sub sandwich for lunch today, in remembrance of the souls and the billionaires who were sandwiched within a sub when it violently imploded upon them.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1671151592501018630

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am not mad they are using a joystick but that one is particularly ugly and super unresponsive.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the ghosts on the titanic musta seen that ship come down and the people instantly explode into goo and thought, what the heck

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Are those 3D-printed stick extenders hot-glued on? No expense spared here!

e. Maybe 100 years from now you'll be able to pay a cool quarter mil (or equivalent) to go and see the dust left behind on the sea bed when this thing burst

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

sub builder: :hmmyes: only needs 80s Madonna cone nipples on the analog sticks and it's perfect

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Negostrike posted:

They super duper dead

If they weren't crushed/exploded to death by the hull getting compromised then they might still be alive and hungry and really bored while they wait for the remaining oxygen to get used up

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The really funny one?

yeah dont get me wrong this one is way more entertaining so of course the thread about it is very active and im also following it. my post was more about how much airtime professional journalists are giving to each incident

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

dr_rat posted:

That's what I thought but they said they were using Starlink (not cell I know but I'm surprised it can penetrate that much water)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have that quote on hand where the creator of the death tube said he was inspired by Space x and that used the word innovation 30 times to explain why he didnt need any safety oversight ?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The billionaire ghosts are absolutely gonna get the poo poo roasted out of them by the Titanic ones

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JerikTelorian posted:

That's what I thought but they said they were using Starlink (not cell I know but I'm surprised it can penetrate that much water)

I'm going to assume that must be for the boat the sub launched off as yeah there's no way starlinks putting out anything that's penetrating that deep. It has trouble going through tree leaves, kilometer or so of oceans out of the question.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

ELTON JOHN posted:

yeah dont get me wrong this one is way more entertaining so of course the thread about it is very active and im also following it. my post was more about how much airtime professional journalists are giving to each incident

*Fart*

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Why can't they just tie a rope to one tower in the US and and one in Iceland or something, mount some kind of hook on a long cable from the rope and pull the thing up?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

JerikTelorian posted:

The support boat uses starlink. The submersible uses something else to connect to the support boat.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only good billionaire is the one that takes 4 other billionaires down to the Titanic in a death trap submarine.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

DickParasite posted:

out of buttons on the mad catz controller

hey we've all been there

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1671155238450130945

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

If the sub imploded theyd probably never find any trace of it right? Cause itd be all imploded and the fish would eat all the goo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also an expert on BBC just said that the tender lost contact with the sub "about 2/3 of the way" on the descent which sounds incredibly ominous, especially because 2/3 of 6km is 4km, which is the depth their subs were failing at previously.

Titanic is only ("only") at 3.7km depth, so within the supposed design of the sub. OTOH 2/3rds of that is 2.5 km, still ridiculously deep and if the thing was flawed then imploding at that point isn't crazy.

I don't know much about carbon fiber, but isn't it much harder to detect flaws and progressive stress failures in that? As compared to metals which are way more predictable and have plenty of known-good methods to detect fatigue or weaknesses.

Anyways it seems like if carbon fiber was a smart material to make submarines out of someone other than these show-string idiots would have done it first.

edit:

That DICK! posted:

If the sub imploded theyd probably never find any trace of it right? Cause itd be all imploded and the fish would eat all the goo?
no, the structure would still be semi-intact. maybe broken in half though.

the violent implosion stuff is mostly what happens on the inside.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 20, 2023