Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Thanks folks. The contacts sync'd by mid day. Just a hiccup I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sometimes when I'm on the train I'll get a pop up with some random Bluetooth device asking if I want to connect to it.

Which option is this and how do I turn this off?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Busy Bee posted:

Sometimes when I'm on the train I'll get a pop up with some random Bluetooth device asking if I want to connect to it.

Which option is this and how do I turn this off?

I think mine is set to keep those notifications silent. Don't know if they can actually be turned off, and if you even want that.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I dunno what you call it on android, the app switching screen (like alt-tabbing on windows) I would like it if it displayed a grid of maybe 8 panes all at once instead of having to scroll through nearly full sized screenshots

is that possible?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Qmass posted:

I dunno what you call it on android, the app switching screen (like alt-tabbing on windows) I would like it if it displayed a grid of maybe 8 panes all at once instead of having to scroll through nearly full sized screenshots

is that possible?

do you have a Samsung phone? it's possible with Good Lock and the Home Up module.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I bought a Pixel 7 and it’s a great phone, but every call I’ve made on it in multiple locations has been staticy garbage. Is this normal

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

sbaldrick posted:

I bought a Pixel 7 and it’s a great phone, but every call I’ve made on it in multiple locations has been staticy garbage. Is this normal

My dad has told me my Pixel 7 call sound quality is miles ahead of my Pixel 6.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

sbaldrick posted:

Either your phone or carrier has an issue op. Do you have a modern sim on it or esim?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The one time I returned a phone was because of that.

Also, the one time I called for an ambulance (came across someone with a broken foot on a bike ride) was when I had that phone and I could barely hear the operator!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah the camera stuff is ported over from the Sony Alpha camera team, and changing the OS on the device wipes all of that out leaving you with either just a basic-rear end camera, or no camera at all (I don't remember if it axes access entirely or not). Xperias also carry a hefty Sony Tax and end up being more expensive than comparable devices from other OEMs, but if you want a headphone jack, microSD expansion, the top of the line SoC and poo poo and don't mind the 21:9 aspect ratio of the devices they're pretty nice. Each of the current series of phones has rectified issues from the previous models, and the 1 V is looking to be a pretty badass device, so long as you can stomach paying $1400 for it when the S23 Ultra is $1200 or less due to sales.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Celexi posted:

Either your phone or carrier has an issue op. Do you have a modern sim on it or esim?

modern sim.

Call quality is fine in my own phone is it must be a defective phone.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sbaldrick posted:

Why would someone ask if this is normal?

Yes call quality on a flagship phone is normally very staticy. It's by design. It's to keep you inquisitive and on your toes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BonoMan posted:

Why would someone ask if this is normal?

Yes call quality on a flagship phone is normally very staticy. It's by design. It's to keep you inquisitive and on your toes.

Are you to young to remember the iPhone 4 and 6, the Galaxy 7 I want to say and one of the Nexus sucked for calls too. It happens, now it seems everything sucks for battery life (though the Pixel seemed fine)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The clear calling thing absolutely doesn't work for me and makes people sound like they are in the bottom of a well but that's not turned on by default afaik

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sbaldrick posted:

Are you to young to remember the iPhone 4 and 6, the Galaxy 7 I want to say and one of the Nexus sucked for calls too. It happens, now it seems everything sucks for battery life (though the Pixel seemed fine)

probably the Nexus S, that thing was kinda cursed in general

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kirbysuperstar posted:

probably the Nexus S, that thing was kinda cursed in general

I thought it was the Galaxy Nexus that was problematic?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

I thought it was the Galaxy Nexus that was problematic?

Might be, I kinda conflate the two in my mind

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Anyone know if there's a way for me to connect my S23 Ultra to my PC and have it be treated like a drawing tablet? Doesn't even need to do the display, just the pen features would be fine

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

incogneato posted:

The little "sparkle" icon option appeared for me when I chose a photo then switched between lock screen and home screen (buttons at the bottom while previewing). That first one never let me apply the 3D to the lock screen (?). But a second photo attempt has the 3D option for both.

Not sure what that all means, but try flipping between previews and options to see if it appears. The button is the little three stars sparkle up in the top right during preview.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Just to once again be the "buttons on the Pixels suck" guy again: My volume rocker fell off last week and is gone. It's not that the phone fell out of my hand or from a table. It simply seems to have fallen off and I didn't even notice until a little later. Googling the issue seems to confirm that I'm not the only one having the problem.

Seriously...how hard can it be to make have buttons on your flagship device that don't suck.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AlexF posted:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Just to once again be the "buttons on the Pixels suck" guy again: My volume rocker fell off last week and is gone. It's not that the phone fell out of my hand or from a table. It simply seems to have fallen off and I didn't even notice until a little later. Googling the issue seems to confirm that I'm not the only one having the problem.

Seriously...how hard can it be to make have buttons on your flagship device that don't suck.

Excellent avatar/post combo

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
What do you think how I got that avatar? :D

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AlexF posted:

Thanks, I'll try that.

Have you thought about ever using a case to keep your nice flagship protected since it never seems to work out for you? Honest question (using some of your post language). I've thrown a case on to prevent slip (with newer backings being slick even before glass) and adding a kickstand from it. I haven't had the buttons wiggle since they are held in place with a case.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's a valid question and I've tried some cases on the earlier models (official and 3rd party ones) but it's not working for me. Even the slimmest ones are adding some bulk to already big phones and I'm not the biggest fan of the changed haptics. You're absolutely correct of course that buttons would be held in place with a case. It's just the same question I keep on asking: Shouldn't they simply be held in place by the nice flagship itself?

I really keep thinking about this a lot and am aware that it's an issue I have. So many people are working on the design and haptics of these phones so I always figure that they'll get it right some time.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
S23 update: I now enjoy it more than my old S10e :sun:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

PirateBob posted:

S23 update: I now enjoy it more than my old S10e :sun:

Defend your purchase. Just kidding, but what changed?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Obligatory "you use a phone to make calls?" joke

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Defend your purchase. Just kidding, but what changed?

Got used to how the fingerprint sensor works, so that each activation wasn't an exercise in frustration.

Like the screen a lot. 120hz is awesome. Don't think I can ever go back to 60. It's also nicer to touch, and the slightly bigger size and better design of the phone is nice. Sound quality is excellent through good headphones. It charges really fast with quick charge turned on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hey, the June update is finally available for folks on T-Mobile towers!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hooah posted:

Hey, the June update is finally available for folks on T-Mobile towers!

I didn't get the OTA on my Pixel 7P until just Tuesday with my Verizon sim installed.

And surprisingly, my OnePlus 11 also got a June patch today in a 920MB update. I wasn't expecting it as it had got the May update as well so I guess OnePlus will occasionally break with their bi-monthly update commitment. A good thing I guess, unless they go the opposite way and end up not even sticking to an every other month update.

It supposedly improves wifi/bt/mobile connections which I will have to test. The OnePlus was more prone to losing mobile connections in very low signal areas of my work where the Pixel manages to hang on and still be usable. It's one of the main reasons I've been sticking with the Pixel as a daily driver lately.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have discovered the single stupidest decision in all of Android.

If a wifi DHCP announces a DNS that doesn't work right, and you want to specify a DNS server. Oops, the 'Private DNS' option only lets you specify a hostname for a dns server, not enter it by IP.

And even if you have working DNS over 5G, it absolutely refuses to use that DNS to lookup the DNS server hostname, it will only lookup the hostname of the DNS you want to use, via the Wi-Fi DNS you don't want to use.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Rescue Toaster posted:

I have discovered the single stupidest decision in all of Android.

If a wifi DHCP announces a DNS that doesn't work right, and you want to specify a DNS server. Oops, the 'Private DNS' option only lets you specify a hostname for a dns server, not enter it by IP.

And even if you have working DNS over 5G, it absolutely refuses to use that DNS to lookup the DNS server hostname, it will only lookup the hostname of the DNS you want to use, via the Wi-Fi DNS you don't want to use.

'Private DNS' in Android is DNS over TLS (DoT). The function of 'Private DNS' is different than what you are trying to do, you want to adjust the settings for DNS from the connection itself.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/dns-over-tls

Is there anything preventing an IP address to be used for this instead of a hostname? I am not sure, it's looking for the TLS domain name, not the DNS server address for making this connection. But it does seem like the TLS domain name is required for DoT resolution even if you supply the IP address (from looking at multiple pages about it, found this https://help.keenetic.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007687159-DNS-over-TLS-and-DNS-over-HTTPS-proxy-servers-for-DNS-requests-encryption where you can do an IP address but the settings still require the TLS Host/Domain Name).

minusX fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 22, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is Google changing all the icons in their notifications to gray and white? Weather, Gmail, Calendar are all boring as of last night.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

Is Google changing all the icons in their notifications to gray and white? Weather, Gmail, Calendar are all boring as of last night.

I thought they looked bland, but I couldn't remember for sure. Didn't they used to be skinned by Material You?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Uthor posted:

Gmail notifications drop the red and stand out less on Android

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, now I like it a bit more. I just have my setting under Wallpaper & Style to be a little gray-ish and it looked bland. Changed that for a bit more of a pop of color and looks kinda nice.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
This app that Teenage Engineering worked on for Pixels rules. You import videos and it chops them up so you can use the pieces for loops, along with BPM controls, 16 recordable tracks, and video editing.

Pocket Operator

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How do you make the play store STFU about updates? I don't want that daily notification about apps I don't want to update and can't get rid of

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Android Police recommends a Mophie 15w wireless charger for the S23U. Anker has an older 15w charger for $15 less, I know it's older because it advertises 15w charging for LG and Google phones but only 10w for the Note 10.

I'm good to just get the cheaper Anker, right? A 15w charger is a 15w charger, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Soul Glo posted:

Android Police recommends a Mophie 15w wireless charger for the S23U. Anker has an older 15w charger for $15 less, I know it's older because it advertises 15w charging for LG and Google phones but only 10w for the Note 10.

I'm good to just get the cheaper Anker, right? A 15w charger is a 15w charger, right?

Anker is one of the more reputable brands so there should be no issue going with a cheaper one vs the Mophie if they're the same wattage. Even if it was something larger, your phone will only take the maximum amount of power it's designed to.