Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cross-Section posted:

Mr House Yes man finally got those colony ships built, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

dr_rat posted:

When they show the solar system map when talking about mars it seems earth is shown pretty lifeless and barren, so humanity hosed it up pretty majorly I guess.

So possibly you can visit it but it's just a radioactive desert world or something.

I'm pretty sure you can land on the Moon though, when they showed our solar system briefly in the deep dive (the part where they were talking about Mars I think), you could briefly see the Moon is called Luna, and later on it shows up in the lower-left compass/watch/thing

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

webmeister posted:

I'm pretty sure you can land on the Moon though, when they showed our solar system briefly in the deep dive (the part where they were talking about Mars I think), you could briefly see the Moon is called Luna, and later on it shows up in the lower-left compass/watch/thing

Yeah I'd be really surprised if you couldn't visit the mars but couldn't visit the moon. That's defiantly a location people would want to visit and not to hard to make either. You know mostly desert rock with some craters, possible with some human junk scattered around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The mass effect comparison jumps out at me and in that game it wasn't anything more than the game just not taking place on earth. It exists, it's inhabited, you just can't go there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Have they said anything about gas giants? You wouldn't be able to land, of course, but could possibly build something in orbit

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The latest trailers got me more interested then the last one, but I am still a little hesitant, I want to see if there is going to be a whole load of old Bethesda jank unfixed because they'll wait for the modders to fix the same problems again.
That and I am in a wait-and-see sort of attitude about how much there is to actually do on those thousand planets at release, walking around an empty sphere collecting resources didn't endear people to no man's sky.

Also I imagine one of the first mods someone is going to make is moving the +XP away from the very center of the screen where you are aiming.

given that skyrim's unofficial bugfix patch has it's own mod that removes most of the "fixes" arthmoor did maybe starfield might be less buggy?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ymgve posted:

Have they said anything about gas giants? You wouldn't be able to land, of course, but could possibly build something in orbit

They could also have moons with some cool views

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

They are holding back the footage of visiting earth to get another hype boost before launch. The main benefit of being owned by Microsoft is that they've been able to work with the MS Flight Simulator team for a couple years now. It's the second DLC and will bring in-atmosphere flight for an additional 150GB.

You see that city? You can go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xp-SnZDoY

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Starfield flight simulator. Fly your ship down and rescue strand civilians on mountain top. Mug them for all their caps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PeePot posted:

They are holding back the footage of visiting earth to get another hype boost before launch. The main benefit of being owned by Microsoft is that they've been able to work with the MS Flight Simulator team for a couple years now. It's the second DLC and will bring in-atmosphere flight for an additional 150GB.

You see that city? You can go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xp-SnZDoY

Can't wait to bomb groverhous with proton torpedoes in Starfield

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

webmeister posted:

In the Direct, they showed the player walking on Luna, Pluto and Mercury.

They gave Mercury caves with glowing mushrooms.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

They know things NASA don't obviously.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

8one6 posted:

Option one: Oh no, Earth was destroyed by an asteroid made of dark matter. It's just not there anymore.

Option two: Oh no, the extremely girthy hadron collide created a strangelet and the runaway cascade reaction has converted the entire Earth to strange matter. Trying to land will just straight up kill you.

Option three: Every nation on Earth has perfect planetary defense systems. Landing anywhere except for the one spaceport they built in the middle of loving nowhere will get you shot down.

Option four: As you approach the Earth your character changes their mind and turns around.
Never discount a constructor fleet, Vogon or otherwise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Here’s some work that might make people more confident in the possibilities of procedurally generated environments, though I doubt that Starfield is using techniques this modern (and likely for good reason; who knows how well the meshes generated here decimate or otherwise scale down to be practical on consoles)

https://twitter.com/_akhaliq/status/1671191880262926336

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing. Want to land a Helio Courier on one of those helicopter pads.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I kinda like that approach, but also would have preferred realistic representations of Sol's planets. But I don't hate this, and don't mind the direction they went.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I doubt that Starfield is using techniques this modern (and likely for good reason; who knows how well the meshes generated here decimate or otherwise scale down to be practical on consoles)

Also a reason they wouldn't be using something like this:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2306.09310.pdf posted:

C.3. Runtime
We benchmark Infinigen on 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4114 @ 2.20GHz CPUs and 1 NVidia-GPU (one of GTX-1080, RTX-[2080, 6000, a6000] or a40) across 1000 independent trials. We show the distribution in Fig. L. The averagewall time to produce a pair of 1080p images is 3.5 hours. About one hour of this uses a GPU, for rendering specifically. More CPUs per-image-pair will decrease the wall-time significantly as will faster CPUs. Our system also uses about 24Gb of memory on average

I mean it's still really cool, but um this is not a real time thing at the moment. Still could be interesting for asset generation before hand to be placed on a map or what not.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dr_rat posted:

Also a reason they wouldn't be using something like this:

I mean it's still really cool, but um this is not a real time thing at the moment. Still could be interesting for asset generation before hand to be placed on a map or what not.

Oh no, I assume they wouldn’t be generating at runtime, but as part of the production process of those 1,000 worlds.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like a lot of people don't really get how the planet stuff is set up for Starfield.

As far as I understand it, there are 3 layers to this.

The first layer is the procedurally generated universe. Once you've got good systems in place it really isn't hard to generate a lot of very nice looking but empty planets. A dozen worlds or thousand aren't that different. In fact Bethesda has said that one of the largest bottlenecks was coming up with the names for all the systems/planets/moons. These are deterministic so everyone sees the same overall landscape and don't actually take up that much space because they're generated on the fly.

The second layer is handplaced content. New Atlantis will always be on Planet Jemison on the shores of the same body of water. Most of the stuff on the main story path will be made up of this stuff and it's basically what you know from previous Bethesda games.

The third layer is where people seem to really get confused. It's probably easiest to think of it as an extension of the random encounter system they started using in Fallout 3. In the old version, a location like the Super Duper Mart parking lot would be flagged as a random encounter spot. The system could dynamically drop in a couple of actors and props, say a locked fridge and some scavengers arguing over it. There were severe limits over what they could add, there were limits on where they could be placed and the spawns weren't permanent because you needed to reuse the spot for later random encounters.

Now in Starfield you can drop entire permanent locations into the overworld as you explore. They can be daisy chained together so that if you drop in a Science Outpost it can generate a second location as a quest target. This stuff isn't procedural, it's handcrafted and then placed into the game in a procedural manner. You can approach a planet with no assigned content, land at a randomly chosen location and when you walk out there will be probably be a couple of points of interest within a kilometer or two from you. There are probably controls that govern how densely placed points of interest are based on biome, faction control, level, distance from major populations centers and so on. You shouldn't be asked to take pictures of wildlife on an airless moon for instance.

This is necessary because people wildly underestimate how big things are at a planetary scale. Imagine if you will an 11x11 grid of Skyrims, 121 total. That's an absurd amount of game space, but you would still need to multiply it by one hundred thousand times to get the surface area of even a relatively small planet like Earth. It is literally impossible to hand craft a planet. If the system works as intended, you should be able to go to any point on any planet and still find the intended amount of handcrafted content.

The real question should not be about the procedural planets. It should be if Bethesda has enough modules behind their DM screen to drop in front of the player as they explore.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A question I personally had was if you would even explore the whole of any planet or if it would more like you can land the ship and it makes a zone, and you can only go so far.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's nothing to indicate you can't, except that planet are very big.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

7c Nickel posted:

Now in Starfield you can drop entire permanent locations into the overworld as you explore. They can be daisy chained together so that if you drop in a Science Outpost it can generate a second location as a quest target. This stuff isn't procedural, it's handcrafted and then placed into the game in a procedural manner.

Pretty sure they said things like random science outposts would also be procedural generated based off chunks of crafted modules.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure they said things like random science outposts would also be procedural generated based off chunks of crafted modules.

I don't believe so. If you have a link to something like that I'd like to see it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So we have space ships we can use in space but not on planets. We have planet sized planets, but I haven't seen anything about vehicles for exploring planets. Do we get a horse? A dune buggy? Or when we land on Tamriell do we need to hoof it on foot all the way to the Throat of the World?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

marshmallow creep posted:

So we have space ships we can use in space but not on planets. We have planet sized planets, but I haven't seen anything about vehicles for exploring planets. Do we get a horse? A dune buggy? Or when we land on Tamriell do we need to hoof it on foot all the way to the Throat of the World?

You're gonna be able to roll around on your heels like the mechs from Heavy Gear 1 & 2.

EDIT: NOT like "Heelies"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I believe Bethesda is suppose to be doing more gameplay reveals closer to launch. I hope we hear about planet vehicles at that point.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think there are vehicles. If you want to go to somewhere distant on a planet you get on your ship and choose a new landing point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah it may be the situation that they'll drop you down in an area populated with people and places, and bro if you wanna walk towards the horizon and into an endless grey zone of resource nodes, fauna, and geographic features, you do you. But if you want more Stuff to Do you're gonna get back on the ship and touch down again in what is effectively a new and distinct area.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Someone is surely going to tie a brick to their analog stick and crash their Xbox when the generated tiles use up all the RAM

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

John F Bennett posted:

Funny thing to notice: unlike on all the other worlds, the whole time they're on the moon they look at the ground and never at the sky. Uh-oh

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Nah, the point is that it ceases being "an endless grey zone of resource nodes, fauna, and geographic features" as you walk towards it. It populates the world with the handcrafted stuff as you explore. Unless you're on a planet where the point is that there's nothing there. The density of points of interests should be a set value and only the amount of time you spend exploring determines how many actually get deployed.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I think they will intentionally limit wanting to go too far from landing sites.

You don't need a 1000 planet-sized planets for any gameplay reason. You don't even need one. I think what they are doing is creating "a planet", which has like four dozen landing sites, which have interesting things within a kilometer or two. And maybe you can theoretically leg it from one landing site to another through empty, procgen terrain, but why would you want to?

The whole debate about vehicles and atmospheric flight just seems silly to me. Whether it's a good game depends entirely on how good the handcrafted content they are going to sprinkle around the landing sites, not any of that noise about real scale.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

8one6 posted:

Option one: Oh no, Earth was destroyed by an asteroid made of dark matter. It's just not there anymore.

Option two: Oh no, the extremely girthy hadron collide created a strangelet and the runaway cascade reaction has converted the entire Earth to strange matter. Trying to land will just straight up kill you.

Option three: Every nation on Earth has perfect planetary defense systems. Landing anywhere except for the one spaceport they built in the middle of loving nowhere will get you shot down.

Option four: As you approach the Earth your character changes their mind and turns around.

Are we even sure that any of the planets will have a size that is meaningfully planet-scale? For one, it's utterly stupid from a gameplay point of view. What, I'm gonna land on Earth and fly for several hours just to clear one continent?

Also, we haven't seen Space-to-Planet continuous gameplay in a way that makes me think it's *that* similar to No Man's Sky. I'm sure it will be *mostly* continuous, but at times it looks like you enter into orbit-range and if it's a heavy-civ planet they scan your ship, then you just load into a spaceport? At that point a lot of planets could just be like entering cities in Skyrim, where you have relatively fenced off curated areas meant to contain lots of interactive pieces, but beyond those boundaries, not so much. So it wouldn't really be a stretch to render an Earth-planet if you just land at a designated point and it's either a gleeming metropolis or barren wasteland with maybe an accessible Fallout vault.

Although I really do like the idea of Flight Simulator integration, where you could literally fly to the small town you grew up in and see that it's just a giant sand dune but some faint small town qualities remain.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

I'm pretty sure they implied in the Direct that the planets aren't 100% traversable. You pick a landing site and then you have a large chunk of surface to explore (they mentioned 1km square tiles, they didnt say if ti was more than one per landing site), and if you want to go beyond that, you find another landing site.

I think expecting every planet to be fully traversable like the planets in No Man's Sky are for instance is going to lead to disappointment.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

7c Nickel posted:

Nah, the point is that it ceases being "an endless grey zone of resource nodes, fauna, and geographic features" as you walk towards it. It populates the world with the handcrafted stuff as you explore. Unless you're on a planet where the point is that there's nothing there. The density of points of interests should be a set value and only the amount of time you spend exploring determines how many actually get deployed.

I hope so, because the version I posted is as old as Daggerfall and Arcanum.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

I'm pretty sure they implied in the Direct that the planets aren't 100% traversable. You pick a landing site and then you have a large chunk of surface to explore (they mentioned 1km square tiles, they didnt say if ti was more than one per landing site), and if you want to go beyond that, you find another landing site.

I think expecting every planet to be fully traversable like the planets in No Man's Sky are for instance is going to lead to disappointment.

They did mention just being able to run for as long as you want in any direction and it will just procedural generate, but like daggrfall if you want to actually go to a location you'd just generally fast travel there, unless its a generated mission from an outpost which is like "go kill the raiders to the west of here that keep attacking us" or what ever.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think what they are doing is creating "a planet", which has like four dozen landing sites, which have interesting things within a kilometer or two. And maybe you can theoretically leg it from one landing site to another through empty, procgen terrain, but why would you want to?

If there are like 4 dozen landing sites per planet I would be happy with that. I think it's much more likely to be 3 or 4 for the majority of the planets which aren't feature planets like Mars and the like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuna-Fish posted:

And maybe you can theoretically leg it from one landing site to another through empty, procgen terrain, but why would you want to?

To find the perfect spot to build a settlement, same reason I sailed around for hours with building supplies in Valheim.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They've shown that you can land anywhere multiple times. It's probably a little inaccurate in order to find flat enough terrain that your ship doesn't look hosed, but it is most definitely not just a few predetermined spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's awesome to hear, I must have overlooked that in the previews, thank you.