Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

My radcity 5 finally sold at $1300. So nice I can get the space in my tiny condo garage for the R&M Nevo4. I just have to wait another week and sadly... no more ebike until then. :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin

Invalido posted:

I don't know what your budget is or where to get good deals on bike parts in the states (where I assume you live) - I usually order stuff like brake parts from one of the large German e-shops and use the LBS for more basic items. Anyways, all you need is available on Amazon though you might find better stuff cheaper elsewhere.

It would probably be easiest to get a whole assembly like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Deor...customerReviews
It's already connected, full of fluid and pre-bled. If you assemble from loose parts you need to mess with the fluid, which requires a few more items and it can be a bit of a pain and a bit of a mess to get right. Reading the instructions or watching a youtube or two really helps. You can get a kit similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/RSN-Sports-S...ps%2C189&sr=8-4
You want the syringe, the little screw-on reservoir cup funnel thingy and the brake fluid itself.

Then you need to retrofit the brake sensor and magnet, using JB-weld or some simliar epoxy product probably, or it comes with double sided tape for mounting. These sensors should be available with a connector that fits your bike controller for about €10 each. It's just a magnetically activated reed switch so it doesn't need to be the same brand as you controller, with the caveat that the switch needs to have the correct nominal state when the magnet is close. I assume all commercially available brake switches work the same way, but on my bakfiets e-bike controller I can connect to both nominally open and nominally closed switches so I might be wrong about this.
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bic...209&sr=8-5&th=1
I once built my own reed switch and potted it in epoxy in a mold that looked like a vagina which gave me my avatar.

So that's what that avatar is!

Thank you for the advice. As far as budget as cheap as I can go without dying? I have a bunch of amazon gift cards so I might go that way. I might go with the cable actuated ones. I have a LBS I trust way more than what I'd do.

Also I just want to say I rode my bike today and I will ride it more later. I love riding my bike

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Does anyone know how the enviolo automatiq interface communicates with the hub itself?

I have unfortunately broken the interface by ripping the cable out, and while I wait several weeks for a replacement, I'm stuck in a super low gear.

Is it magnets that change the ratio, or is there a mechanical aspect I can manipulate to set myself in a gear that can get me over 10mph?

Update: got an answer from a fb group; posting here if useful:

corker2k fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 18, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Store the battery at as close to room temperature as possible. Leaving it outside in freezing weather will shorten the life. Charging can be done in a slightly wider range of temps, and using the bike at the widest.
Try not to charge them to 100% or discharge them to zero. REALLY try to not charge them below 15C.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Try not to charge them to 100% or discharge them to zero. REALLY try to not charge them below 15C.

How much longevity does this add to a bosch battery? I ran mine down to zero yesterday and limped home, and I pretty much always plug my bike in to charge overnight.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How much longevity does this add to a bosch battery? I ran mine down to zero yesterday and limped home, and I pretty much always plug my bike in to charge overnight.

Bosch uses a bunch of cylindrical lipo cells just like everyone else. It's impossible to say how much longevity you can add by treating your pack right, because that depends on how badly you abuse it when you treat it wrong. My impression is that most people don't know how to use LiPo batteries economically (I sure as poo poo didn't when I was an ebike newbie) and unlike the electric car business the ebike business is really bad at helping users nanny their packs. My best guess based on anecdotal personal experience is that you can easily get 5x the mileage (probably more, my latest packs are still going strong) out of a pack if you baby it as suggested. E: We all run our packs empty from time to time, and while this isn't ideal, the biggest sin IMO is constantly charging to 100% (or rather a cell voltage around 4.2V) and keeping the pack there when not in use. The ideal storage voltage is 3.85V, but just dropping the charge to 4.0 (which is about 80% I guess depending on what that number actually represents in a given system) makes a huge difference. According to a research paper I read you get twice as many charge cycles out of a cell before dropping to 75% or original performance for every 0.1V you stay below maximum cell voltage, and the deterioration in the cells from just laying around overcharged decreases even more dramatically.

Some kind of garbage hauling record today. Not sure about the weight but it felt like a ways over 100kg - there's glass, concrete and scrap steel in them IKEA bags. I was nervous about the frame but wanted to really put the boxbike to the test after the rebuild, also not go to the recycling yard thrice.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 20, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

evil_bunnY posted:

REALLY try to not charge them below 15C.

Is there a chemistry specific reason for that temperature?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Starting to get pre-buyer's remorse and wondering if I should have gotten the R&M Roadster instead. I just really wanted that 750wh battery and the roadster didn't have it. :-(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

evil_bunnY posted:

Is that for general use, or only prior to long term storage? All of the Aventon manuals say to charge your battery to full after every single ride.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Had a set of lovely wrenches I couldn't do anything with. Got a Park Tool wrench and taught myself how to adjust my brakes. I was patient and made adjustments on the different parts and made them all work together. Reminds me of setting up a guitar. Have a good ride today

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jabarto posted:

Is that for general use, or only prior to long term storage? All of the Aventon manuals say to charge your battery to full after every single ride.

Both. Unless Aventon supplies a charger that cuts off before what is actually fully charged battery cells that is real lovely advice. Only charge fully if you actually need the juice. Charge early, charge often, but don't charge fully is the gist of it. And manage temperatures as best you can.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm of the opinion that the time spent fretting over wringing a few percentage points out of the lifetime of your battery isn't worth the few percentage points you wring out of the lifetime of your battery, but that's just me. evil_bunnY and Invalido are generally correct.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Probably not worth spending a ton of time thinking about but if you use one of the outlet timer things you can just set it for the low end of how much time you think it needs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Invalido posted:

Unless Aventon supplies a charger that cuts off before what is actually fully charged battery cells that is real lovely advice.

Would the underwriting specs have to declare that exact voltage?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

I'm of the opinion that the time spent fretting over wringing a few percentage points out of the lifetime of your battery isn't worth the few percentage points you wring out of the lifetime of your battery, but that's just me. evil_bunnY and Invalido are generally correct.

This is where I am at basically. Because given how many different countries are investing in lithium batteries and how much lithium battery price dropped in last 5 years. You don't really have to worry about hurting the battery with topping up the last 10%. I still practice not using battery below 20%, but I am too lazy to pull the plug early to make the battery last longer.

And frankly, a 50% or 60% health battery won't affect the resale of an used bike that much.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Invalido posted:

Both. Unless Aventon supplies a charger that cuts off before what is actually fully charged battery cells that is real lovely advice. Only charge fully if you actually need the juice. Charge early, charge often, but don't charge fully is the gist of it. And manage temperatures as best you can.

Makes sense, thanks. :) My bike lives in my apartment so temps shouldn't be a concern.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kimbo305 posted:

Would the underwriting specs have to declare that exact voltage?

It's not gonna be exactly the same even if what's on the charger's sticker actually corresponds with what the electronics do. If the charger cuts off at 50.0v the pack will have 49.4v when disconnected, or something similar. I'd just measure pack voltage off the charger with a multimeter and divide by number of cells in series and get the real truth. If I didn't own a multimeter I would buy one. Everyone should have a multimeter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You don't really have to worry about hurting the battery with topping up the last 10%.

There didn’t seem to be a lot of specific resources/ studies on the effect. Or at least I don’t know of them.

Obviously people will have different habits if practicing not fully charging nets double the lifespan till replacement.

Cell phones are all single cell, right? How do controllers deal with cells in series — can they avoid specific paths if a single cell goes sufficiently bad?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have seen a spreadsheet from r/ebike from a long time ago did show charging battery to 100% instead 90% after x hundred cycles shorten the battery life (along with stat of discharging below 20%, 10%), I just don't think its significant in 2023.

I mean maybe in 10 years we will move from lithium battery to something else. EV cars do that because they are 30k and up investments.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just don't think its significant in 2023.

Have there been any construction technique changes in the intervening 10 years? I saw that thing where Tesla claimed to use a new battery chemistry at the molecular scale, where they actually didn’t because it was so new to market.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's pretty significant. Running NMC cells from 90-10 instead of 100-0 can triple your cycles before you hit any typical degradation (usually 80%). There's a very good reason EV's strongly encourage you to only charge to 80% unless you need the range.

kimbo305 posted:

Cell phones are all single cell, right? How do controllers deal with cells in series — can they avoid specific paths if a single cell goes sufficiently bad?
Balance harnesses are how series'ed cells are kept well... balanced. I don't think any batteries I know of have the hardware to re-route themselves. You'd need to keep spare cells around or you'd gently caress with the pack properties anyway.

kimbo305 posted:

Have there been any construction technique changes in the intervening 10 years? I saw that thing where Tesla claimed to use a new battery chemistry at the molecular scale, where they actually didn’t because it was so new to market.
it's a good habit to not believe anything tesla says in general, and muskie in particular.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 20, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jabarto posted:

For general use. For long term storage just charge it to 50-80% and just keep in at a cozy temperature and you'll be fine.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Anyone got a ride1up gravel roadster? I saw a little discussion a couple months back but not any opinions from people who own one. Seems like the right price and specs for me (hilly city and maybe light trail riding, lightweight enough to carry up stairs in apartment).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

it's a good habit to not believe anything tesla says in general, and muskie in particular.

Oh, I wouldn’t give Tesla any credit — I was using that as a reference point for my ignorance wrt new incremental developments in battery tech.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The EV blogs talk about new battery news all the time. Also BYD talks about new non lithium technology all the time. But when a new tech can trickle down to actual normal priced range product is anyone's guess.

And even after the new battery tech becomes common place, people still practice the old and outdated charging habits. Like one of those old rechargeable battery NiMH or NiCad had the battery memory thing and people still practice it well after it was phased out of the market.

Also don't quote me on it, but the current EV cars and PHEV cars already use slightly different lithium batteries because one is optimized for cost the other is optimized for repeat discharge at lower capacity.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For all the stupid talk of new batteries everyone does all the time, cars pretty much all use NCM/LFP.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm floating the idea of picking up my first ebike, and honestly even the UL rated batteries freak me out. Does anyone use a lifepo4 battery? I understand the weight/performance is worse than traditional, but the safety is worth it for me.

Edit: didn't even see the post above mine, but yeah batteries freak me out dude

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen a bike advertised with lifepo4 batteries. The tend to take up more than 50% more volume per AH than li-ion and are heavier.

Batteries are frustratingly a black box with almost all ebikes. It would be nice to know what the BMS is doing or set it at 80% charge thresholding like a lot of phones and laptops do now, see cycle count or battery health, but it seems the best you get from most manufacturers is a charge level when the bike is powered on and a green/red LED on the charger.

Though my ultimate utopian dream is a standardized 300-600wh battery that you can exchange at a vending machine charger. That's a situation where the scale of overbuilding the batteries so you only use the 'middle 80%' would make economic sense, in contrast to manufacturers are incentivized to advertise every last MAH even if it means the useful life of the battery is half of what it could be.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I don't want someone else's counterfeit battery

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Lectric XP 2.0 on sale for $799 if anyone's interested. Anyone else following the brake "debacle" of the 3.0s? Shipments are delayed while the retrofit them with hydraulic brakes.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Bike shop is letting me borrow a R&M Delite Rohloff G14 HS until my new one arrives. Pretty sweet

G-III fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 26, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I'm floating the idea of picking up my first ebike, and honestly even the UL rated batteries freak me out. Does anyone use a lifepo4 battery? I understand the weight/performance is worse than traditional, but the safety is worth it for me.

Edit: didn't even see the post above mine, but yeah batteries freak me out dude
shimano/bosch have pretty beefy casings IMO, and bosch is UL tested.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

G-III posted:

Bike shop is letting me borrow a R&M Delite GT Rholoff HS until my new one arrives. Pretty sweet

Super cool, wish it was easier to switch from chain to belt on e-bikes. One of the major upgrades alongside hydraulic brakes that I’ve noticed would be super nice to have.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

BUUNNI posted:

Super cool, wish it was easier to switch from chain to belt on e-bikes. One of the major upgrades alongside hydraulic brakes that I’ve noticed would be super nice to have.

Yeah my only slight regret with my GSD is not getting the belt drive, last winter I was doing ever other day service on the chain and it needed to be replaced after only 4 months of ownership. I since upgraded the chain but I am still probably looking at 2 chains a year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I could really use a recommendation for running boards vs pegs for carrying big kids on a longtail. My gut says pegs but I'm second guessing myself. Thoughts?

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/accessory-deals/products/radwagon-4-running-board-set?variant=32279491739744

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/accessory-deals/products/radwagon-passenger-pegs?variant=32284371648608

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If your bike has holes to install running boards, get the board.

I tried 3 different pegs from amazon and only slightly okay with 1 pair.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Boards also provide more protection in case the bike drops. Saved my wife a few times when a kid shifted on a hill when they shouldn’t have.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Boards also provide support for big-rear end panniers if you ever get those. If carrying passengers is anything other than an afterthought go with the boards.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm pretty worried about "can support up to 30 lbs on one side" when even my 3 year old is already 35 lbs. Is the idea that running boards are not for being stepped on even with an adult holding the bike?

I ordered pegs, but am second guessing myself and may end up throwing away more money. My thought is that pegs fold up when not using them, give a specific place to put feet, and you can put some weight on them when hitting bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When a peg is loose, it doesn't stay the folding upright angle, its very hard to use it as a peg. Like if it rotates 90 degree or 180 drgree, its useless. Unless a peg has two holes to secure its angle and the bike frame has to two holes, which I have never seen on a run of the mile ebike.