Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

also some of the officers going to ships based in japan get samurai swords apparently. navy is weebs.

Unless it's changed, a katana was given to the first Mid to select an FDNF-J ship. The sword is actually donated by the JMSDF and presented by the senior JMSDF officer stationed at USNA to the recipient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My old boat is expected to be operational no sooner than 2026. and for $80M in repairs.

So 2036 and like $100B, based on Connecticut's previous avails at PSNS.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.
They'll probably scrap it halfway into 2030.

Never going to forget how my old command thought we were going to just naturally deman during our decom and then suddenly its 2015 we're nowhere close to target and severely undermanned with no seapay.

Fiye fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2023

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Makes me think of the Boisie, I'm pretty sure that sub has been stuck in the yards longer than I've been in the Navy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Thronde posted:

See thread title.

Not that I disagree with your point at all. But FTN entirely. I should have been a Coastie.

So I work with a coastie and every time we swap sea stories I get jealous about how they actually get to do their job. I just floated around for 8 months being sad for no fuckin reason

He is an OS turned IS. Now we do the same job at least.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The USAF is weird in that we kind of have a hybrid of OS and IS rates in our 1N0X1 Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC = Rate essentially)

It’s Operations Intelligence. Depending on assignment you end up doing some percentage of operations or support instead of intelligence work. I mean nominally your still the Intel guy, but if you are trained and qualified there’s a lot of operations jobs for you. You can fly, you can jump outta planes, you can brief 4 stars a weekly intelligence brief, and you can literally be a nuclear targeteer at STRATCOM who lives in a completely classified and unknown location underground that’s very likely to survive a nuclear attack.

It’s literally one of the best jobs I ever had. I know you navy guys have loving seriously cool rear end jobs- I just like trying to get young folks to not join the navy (good) and instead join the USAF (bad) and go 1N0X1 (worse).

Smegma Pie!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What are these cool Navy jobs and why was I not apprised of them when i joined

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

maffew buildings posted:

I think it's kind of like Black Friday deals. A lot of stores will promote ridiculous discounts for Black Friday, like 50% off a high-end TV, and then make sure that they only have a few of them in stock. So once they sell all three of that particular model that they have on hand, everyone else gets directed towards a similar model that's maybe 10% off. A lot of people will accept that because dammit, they didn't wait in line for three hours the day after Thanksgiving to not go home with a new TV. Legally speaking, it wasn't false advertising because that 50% discount was available for those limited numbers.

Same thing for recruiters. Yeah man, you absolutely could get this loving amazing MOS/AFSC/NEC that has you doing HALO jumps with special forces after briefing a general and banging an Italian supermodel. They don't need to disclose that there are a total of four of those billets on the entire planet. It's not like it's lying.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

maffew buildings posted:

It's called being an officer. Particularly a non-line officer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

Dude you heard me at meps. IT or go home!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

So I work with a coastie and every time we swap sea stories I get jealous about how they actually get to do their job. I just floated around for 8 months being sad for no fuckin reason

He is an OS turned IS. Now we do the same job at least.

Internet VFW: Navy: I just floated around for 8 months being sad for no fuckin reason

The dude I work most closely with was an F-16 Crew Chief in the AF, he spent 6 years stationed in Germany and Korea, getting to live off base in both locations, I'm incredibly jealous of his military career.

Or another co-worker who was a C-17 FCC, and just flew around the world all the time, if they flew into a particularly cool area, they'd "find" a grounding condition on the plane that required fly-away support, and just chill in a hotel for a week. I got to go to some cool places in the Navy, but the 2-3 months underwater in-between kinda sucked.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The USAF is weird in that we kind of have a hybrid of OS and IS rates in our 1N0X1 Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC = Rate essentially)

It’s Operations Intelligence. Depending on assignment you end up doing some percentage of operations or support instead of intelligence work. I mean nominally your still the Intel guy, but if you are trained and qualified there’s a lot of operations jobs for you. You can fly, you can jump outta planes, you can brief 4 stars a weekly intelligence brief, and you can literally be a nuclear targeteer at STRATCOM who lives in a completely classified and unknown location underground that’s very likely to survive a nuclear attack.

It’s literally one of the best jobs I ever had. I know you navy guys have loving seriously cool rear end jobs- I just like trying to get young folks to not join the navy (good) and instead join the USAF (bad) and go 1N0X1 (worse).

Smegma Pie!

Coast guard IS is like IS and every sigint role smashed together.

I think they finally split out cyber just like last week though.

I'm not an IS. I'd very much lose it if I got chewed out because some N2/J2 got peeved the arrows on my PowerPoint went right to left instead of left to right or some dumb poo poo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I'm not an IS. I'd very much lose it if I got chewed out because some N2/J2 got peeved the arrows on my PowerPoint went right to left instead of left to right or some dumb poo poo

Thanks for describing what my entire job working night check as the Intel Watch O was during my 2011-12 Bataan deployment. I had a deal with our N2A (brand new Ensign from USNA) that if he left me alone (IS1) I would make sure he didn't have to worry about anything. Needless to say he and the Marine night O (an Intel Warrant Officer who didn't come from the intel or crypt communities :shrug:) just played board games which was the best pursuit for them back.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

AlternateNu posted:

It's called being an officer. Particularly a non-line officer.

Yeah. Life's a choose-your-own-adventure as a non-line. Lots of people milk it for all its worth and manage 5, 10, and even more years doing contractor/GS equivalent jobs. You can do odd "cool" jobs in niche worlds like SOF, high-tech crap, and whatnot. You only have to actually put in the work if you care about retiring as an O-5 instead of an O-4.

Laranzu posted:

As long as you can grin and bear it through circus acts like this, the bar in the non-line world is really, really low.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Smegma Pie!

lol there are no more kids reading SA anymore. The bulk of us are late 30s to mid 40s now.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hekk posted:

lol there are no more kids reading SA anymore. The bulk of us are late 30s to mid 40s now.

There are 1.7 billion Chinese, and I feel like if you aren’t 100% P&T from the DOD and VA like me you are at risk of getting sent to fight a land war in Asia.

Let’s all stop and reflect on what war with China would really be like.

Yeah that’s gonna be a no from me, dog.
Do you know how many Chinese on average a soldier or marine are gonna have to kill in order for us to decimate the PLA? And decimation? That’s nothing for them. Nothing. 1 in 10? poo poo you probably are only making them stronger killing off their weakest links in the decimation if you managed to pull one off.

I don’t know how many bullets we have or make, but I can guarangoddamnedtee it’s just not enough for an Asian land war.

Also, if we got every commonwealth nation and English speaking Ally to join in on Operation JADE RAILROAD, it would be a statistically insignificant addition to our force except for our good friends the Aussies. They’ll be a statistically significant ally for any number of reasons most of them involving their ships and submarines and proximity (relative to the U.S) to the PRC and Taiwan.

You never want to fight a land war in Asia, ask your uncle who’s not invited to thanksgiving anymore and uses slurs for Vietnamese people, if we should fight a land war in Asia.

And you know what? Despite voting for trump twice, and being MAGA incarnate he’s gonna tell you no you don’t want to fight a land war in Asia.

The next 2-5 years is gonna be a REALLY good time to get your Coast Guard contract and do your time in the USCG. loving trust me. I’m nuts, stoned, and stupid, but trust me: You want to be a Coast Guard vet when the balloon goes up,
Or retired w/ 100% P&T. You don’t want to be a vet or the DoD branches- except maybe space force if you are smart/dumb enough to be one of them.

I know you retired Hekk, but maybe some teen will find this place.

Night folks!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

that's not even a sea story wtf is going on here

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m attached to a shore based unit in Hawaii now. Lol gonna get called up to help soak up radiation in Oahu if I didn’t get slagged in Bremerton.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Let’s all stop and reflect on what war with China would really be like.

Are you the insane XO who took over my second boat after it ran aground?

Because all he would do is rant about China and how war with China is inevitable, and how we had to train harder so that we could defeat the Chinese. And also God and Jesus and stuff.

These "sharpen the sword" rants would usually happen after we failed fire drills during our "fast cruise" to take the boat home.

I don't know what loving sword he was talking about because our boat was missing the loving front, most of the torpedo tube doors were warped and stuck shut from the impact, and we could be taken out by a Chinese child in a speedboat with an RPG.

Anywho, I'm not very concerned with the prospect of a land war with China, but the CG seems like a 1000x better gig than the Navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You probably want to visit Taiwan soon if that’s on your bucket list though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pro tip: you can simultaneously have an honorable discharge and be an RE4 so you may never serve again

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

that's not even a sea story wtf is going on here

just shim things

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Everyone whose played Risk knows you can't hold Asia.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sentinel posted:

Everyone whose played Risk knows you can't hold Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5uDWvEzZYk

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to interrupt, I don't know if this is an easy question to answer. What would the US navy do to help find the missing titanic sub?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SONAR.

It sounds like they have marine recon aircraft dropping buoys, and maybe a submarine using its various arrays.

Probably listening for the lost submarine's thrusters, if I had to guess, but I don't know poo poo about SONAR.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Bad news folks, even being a noble isn’t enough to keep away the sad anymore:

https://news.usni.org/2023/06/19/surface-warfare-tackles-persistent-problems-as-more-than-half-of-jos-say-they-dont-want-command

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I think we just need another administrative training requirement to fix the Noble sad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Add an extra set of forks and knives to the wardroom silverware, that should work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
When I was in, they needed 1/5th of the ensigns commissioned in a year group to stick around long enough to be department heads on small boys. Despite only needing ~20% of the people, they still had to offer nearly $100k and a skate shore duty to get a master’s degree. They consistently failed to hit manning targets.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

RandomPauI posted:

Sorry to interrupt, I don't know if this is an easy question to answer. What would the US navy do to help find the missing titanic sub?

Jack poo poo. The Titanic is at 12,000+ feet down and that sub is the size of a van. There ARE sonar systems that could find something that small, but at that depth it would be very difficult to find and then get to them. No clue if that thing has an escape hagtch that would marry up to our DSRV/Rescue sub or not but my gut says probably not.

Coasties said they were dropping passive sonar bouys to listen for it, but I don't know what they think they would hear, other than survivors banging on the hull.

The best case is that they were able to jettison the ballast and pop to the surface and are somplace riding the waves, but at this point I think they would have located that. The next best case is that it was over quickly for them. 12,000 feet is no loving joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Flyinglemur posted:

Jack poo poo. The Titanic is at 12,000+ feet down and that sub is the size of a van. There ARE sonar systems that could find something that small, but at that depth it would be very difficult to find and then get to them. No clue if that thing has an escape hagtch that would marry up to our DSRV/Rescue sub or not but my gut says probably not.

Coasties said they were dropping passive sonar bouys to listen for it, but I don't know what they think they would hear, other than survivors banging on the hull.

The best case is that they were able to jettison the ballast and pop to the surface and are somplace riding the waves, but at this point I think they would have located that. The next best case is that it was over quickly for them. 12,000 feet is no loving joke.

The hatch doesn't have hinges or any way to open except to be unbolted from the outside, so unlikely that it will match up with anything the navy or coast guard has available.

If they did pop to the surface and are riding the waves or have washed ashore somewhere, they are critically low on air as they have 96 hours of air when they're not panicking.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This is the least surprising result in the world. I can tell you from the day I slapped on my butter bars I didn’t want command. And the constant drive for the SWO track being “Early Command! Early Command! You can’t stay in if you don’t want command!” was the biggest driver for getting out of active duty. (That and watching two of my DHs break down on watch from stress overload.) And even as a reservist, you’re lucky to get O5 without your 2N1 AQD.

The fact that SWOs have very few options for retention that don’t involve a command pin hurts us so much. My tour with the Germans opened my eyes to the fact that if you let people do their 20 with a specialization, they’re way more likely to stick around.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm retiring (reserves) this year and this will never be fixed. When I was commissioned they said that all the horrible SWO culture was part of the past. It isn't. It won't be. It's self selecting. Nobody wants to stay in unless they're part of the problem. The Pentagon brass can't fix it because they never understood the problem.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ive been down in our sub rescue submersible several times during an exercise with the Indian navy. We'd go down a few hundred feet and attach to a sub on the bottom, xfer passengers and go back up. It was challenging and took a few hours each time. Even in a tethered unit like that, with controls topside, it was horrifying to think of an emergency in that capsule.

But yeah it needs a NATO hatch to connect to. At least that's how I remember it. And the sea state better be perfect too.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Elviscat posted:

SONAR.

It sounds like they have marine recon aircraft dropping buoys, and maybe a submarine using its various arrays.

Probably listening for the lost submarine's thrusters, if I had to guess, but I don't know poo poo about SONAR.

They likely aren’t moving or powered if they’re hanging out lost down there. So probably nothing from passive buoys.

They have active buoys that can ping, but a P-8 is meant to find stuff in the normal depths where living subs are. You lose significant energy due to attenuation as distance increases and a bunch of other nerd sound propagation effects steer the sound in weird ways, so anything that deep is a stretch.

Maybe a towed array sonar from a ship? It’s probably a feature on the bottom now vs a big metal thing floating in the water column somewhere. Not sure how well that works at such depths and sitting on the floor.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Wonder Free posted:

They likely aren’t moving or powered if they’re hanging out lost down there. So probably nothing from passive buoys.

They have active buoys that can ping, but a P-8 is meant to find stuff in the normal depths where living subs are. You lose significant energy due to attenuation as distance increases and a bunch of other nerd sound propagation effects steer the sound in weird ways, so anything that deep is a stretch.

Maybe a towed array sonar from a ship? It’s probably a feature on the bottom now vs a big metal thing floating in the water column somewhere. Not sure how well that works at such depths and sitting on the floor.

Yeah not forgetting it's also going to be sat in a rather large debris field.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

RandomPauI posted:

The rescue vessels we have on each coast are not rated for that kind of depth.

It doesn't matter anyways those people most likely died as soon as contact was lost.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I was in, they needed 1/5th of the ensigns commissioned in a year group to stick around long enough to be department heads on small boys. Despite only needing ~20% of the people, they still had to offer nearly $100k and a skate shore duty to get a master’s degree. They consistently failed to hit manning targets.

this program did allow a friend of Mr. Nice! and myself to get a masters and an extra 100k for a job he was going to already do, so I think it was an incredible success

edit: Mr. Nice! and said friend consistently pitched me on why I should go be a SWO and how I would do well within the community. I'm not sure if their 'do well' assessment was based on my task focus and interpersonal skills or my serious rage issues and ability to go from calm to screaming at 30+ junior troops with dissapointed dad anger in a split second. anyway I didn't listen to them, never SWO even once, namaste

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

The rescue vessels we have on each coast are not rated for that kind of depth.

It doesn't matter anyways those people most likely died as soon as contact was lost.

I think the hope is the tourist sub might be fouled in the wreckage on the bottom, we don't have manned rescue vehicles that can dive that deep, but we do have salvage ROVs that are operated from a mothership that could help cut away wreckage and free the sub.

I agree they're probably hosed though.