Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This kid rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lmao

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Step dad, come home
Sub's lost, I know

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Stepdad dead so what

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

whole thread is a pro read. The thing he alludes to with his grandfather is probably this story which is completely insane in its own right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman?wprov=sfti1

quote:

The crew heard the sound of water entering the aft compartment as Pisces III became inverted and began to sink back to the seabed. The aft sphere was fully flooded with over a tonne of water.

quote:

The pilots immediately closed down all the electrical systems which left the sub in total blackness. They also managed to release a 400 lb (181 kg) lead ballast weight as they descended. They impacted the sea floor at 9:30 a.m., at a speed later judged to be at 40 mph (18 m/s; 64 km/h).

quote:

When the hatch finally opened, both crew members struggled to leave the craft, having been confined inside for a total of 84 hours and 30 minutes. Subsequent evaluations revealed that a mere 12 minutes of oxygen supply remained in Pisces III.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

all the small things, my death, it brings

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stepson rich?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
you have every right to party you sweet failson

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ThinkTank posted:

You blast some hoobastank

Crawling in the dark indeed

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you're interested in what happens during an explosive decompression event the Byford Dolphin has you covered

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin
Mind you, the pressure differential in that was 9 atmospheres and went from 9 to 1. This thing has a potential 400 atmosphere difference and would be going from 1-ish to 400-ish. At that compression ratio, for a very brief moment, the air bubble will be heated to 2474.3 211,408 degrees Fahrenheit, so they would very, very briefly be on fire while also being crushed. Good times, really.

Edit- used the wrong calculator. Assuming a mini-van worth of air (140 cubic feet), and a 1-400 atm compression, the heat would be 211,408 F.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 20, 2023

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/OceanGateExped/status/1664306619608449026

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi60tvRwRlE
safety and communication first. And its not tourism its some kind of science project but hey look over here its expensive tourism.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

You haven't thought of the smell, you bitch!

I'm seeing so many IASIP references lately

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

There's something pretty macabe about the other billionaire bringing his kid and this billionaire's kid doesn't seem to give a gently caress about it all.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

this pretty much happens in peter watts' starfish, so that means the rest ofd the book is going to play out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stealie72 posted:

so they would very, very briefly be on fire while also being crushed. Good times, really.

I mean it would make the Celine Dion stop, so you know, pros and cons.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Lmao holy poo poo, this is gold

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Posting an ESHAM song from his album Closed Casket about how having money dont mean poo poo when your dead cuz it seems on point

https://youtu.be/pgpRuifbfu4

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.
Oceangate CEO Rush also said during the interview, "You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

verbal enema posted:

Posting an ESHAM song from his album Closed Casket about how having money dont mean poo poo when your dead cuz it seems on point

https://youtu.be/pgpRuifbfu4

Haven't you heard? Whoever dies with the most toys, wins.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
From The Daily Mail

Wee fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 20, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zesty posted:

There's something pretty macabe about the other billionaire bringing his kid and this billionaire's kid doesn't seem to give a gently caress about it all.

Yeah I’m sure his billionaire stepdad has always been a steadfast presence in his life.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Wee posted:

From The Daily Mail

Paid $250k to look at the Titanic, but I can't see it because Bill is making GBS threads in front of the only window

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

The child is 19

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

They sure make a big deal outta that on board health monitor thing. What is even the point? They aren't hooked up to it, what are you gonna learn from it that you can't learn with your eyes?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wee posted:

The child is 19

Yeah? Didn't say "child"

edit: Ah it's Greg. gently caress off, Greg.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

stealie72 posted:

Mind you, the pressure differential in that was 9 atmospheres and went from 9 to 1. This thing has a potential 400 atmosphere difference and would be going from 1-ish to 400-ish. At that compression ratio, for a very brief moment, the air bubble will be heated to 2474.3 degrees Fahrenheit, so they would very, very briefly be on fire while also being crushed. Good times, really.

Carbon burn temp is apparently 1400 so they got flash fried it seems

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Don't waste
Your time on me
My sub's already
Crushed down on the seabed

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

whole thread is a pro read. The thing he alludes to with his grandfather is probably this story which is completely insane in its own right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_of_Roger_Mallinson_and_Roger_Chapman?wprov=sfti1

quote:

Pisces III originally had tail fins, which were removed to improve access and handling when the submersible was purchased by Vickers Oceanics. If the fins had been retained they would have prevented the entanglement of the towline on the craft's machinery sphere which caused the 1973 accident.

Rich people truly are dumb as gently caress

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
mouthing the words and crying when blink-182 starts to play i miss you

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Carbon burn temp is apparently 1400 so they got flash fried it seems

Blow posted:

A 1000m depth. If a submersible is cracked, the water fills the airspace in about 100ms, and creates a compression ratio of 100:1 (a diesel engine is about 13:1) which ignites anything inside at 20,000°C.

At 3800m it's a 380:1 compression ratio.

:science:

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Ralph Crammed In posted:

They sure make a big deal outta that on board health monitor thing. What is even the point? They aren't hooked up to it, what are you gonna learn from it that you can't learn with your eyes?

I assume they make a big deal outta it because without it, it's just a tube with some lead weights and fans strapped to it. They need a way to make it sound safe, because it looks so unsafe that no one would want to get in it

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Probably play some quake on it

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

When experts are saying there's "some hope" that a rescue vessel could even reach the depths the sub is expected to be trapped in (before they can even start attempting to rescue it, even if they can find it it), it's not looking too hot, is it?

Pages ago but

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is the toilet actually bolted down, or is it one of those portable ones for van campers that you can just move anywhere? maybe making GBS threads by the window isn't the only option.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick
I'm curious how it wouldn't be frigidly cold inside that thing surrounded by infinite amounts of very cold water

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Nah those Antec speakers were built like a tank, they'll be on the ocean floor long after the remains of the Titanic have been lost to the currents

lol, extremely under appreciated comment

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

is the toilet actually bolted down, or is it one of those portable ones for van campers that you can just move anywhere? maybe making GBS threads by the window isn't the only option.

Power move is making GBS threads in the middle of the tube

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Bad Purchase posted:

I don't even think it's a real toilet, it's a box with a toilet seat-shaped thing on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

I cannot tell what is real and what is fake and my brain is breaking.