Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

verbal enema posted:

How much does it take to build like a modern military sub? 20 million or some poo poo? Why do they not just base a design on those? I know ultra modern military poo poo you cannot get specs for but cant you base it on some older ones that didnt gently caress up or suck and at a minimum was just a big coffin at the worst

Modern military submarines don't appear to be able to go that deep.

Gabe Newell spent 37 million dollars on his 2 man submarine that can go down to the deepest parts of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bad Purchase posted:

:lol:

$20M is the amount in the budget just for the scrum masters

Buddy a 700$ paycheck is a lot of money to me im a little out of my league when it comes to speculating military costs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MuscaDomestica posted:

Is there any chance this is just a massive scheme to gently caress off and start a new life somewhere else? The CEO had been negligent and decided it might be better to just start over under a new name then be investigated for massive fraud. Same thing for the passengers?

Only thinking because the lack of any way to send any sort tracking device... I know tech bros can be dumb but this is suspiciously dumb.

As we speak James Bond is closing with the escape sub before Goldfinger changes his identity, ready for another incredibly boring underwater battle sequence

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

verbal enema posted:

How much does it take to build like a modern military sub? 20 million or some poo poo? Why do they not just base a design on those? I know ultra modern military poo poo you cannot get specs for but cant you base it on some older ones that didnt gently caress up or suck and at a minimum was just a big coffin at the worst

Couple hundred million for a conventional attack sub all the way to many billions+ for a new nuclear SSBN

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
it cost over $20m just to refit Alvin and that is the correct submarine to use for something like this

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

verbal enema posted:

Look at this non innovator lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

William Bear posted:

Military submarines are no use here, they're designed to go around 800-1000 feet below the surface. The Titanic is 13,000 feet under.

Ah I assume this is because after a certain depth your pretty much invisible.

That's crazy to think that subs a vessel we kind of think as a deep deep sea craft is actually not that far underneath the surfacd

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MuscaDomestica posted:

Is there any chance this is just a massive scheme to gently caress off and start a new life somewhere else? The CEO had been negligent and decided it might be better to just start over under a new name then be investigated for massive fraud. Same thing for the passengers?

Only thinking because the lack of any way to send any sort tracking device... I know tech bros can be dumb but this is suspiciously dumb.

Oh for sure, there’s definitely a chance these billionaires in their homemade sub are actually outsmarting us all

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Look at this non innovator lmao

Hey gently caress you!!!!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A fleet's 5 day search for 2 billionaires and their hanger ons will cause more pollution than I could generate in a lifetime. Very cool.

Thank God the NYPD boarded my bus this morning to make sure everybody paid for a ticket (I didnt--get fuckdd)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh also I suppose since military subs are massive it's hard to not have it turn into a crunched up ball of metal when it goes too deep

But why the poop pit at the front?????

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone with an account keeping an eye on DeviantArt for cool fan art about this?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Oh also I suppose since military subs are massive it's hard to not have it turn into a crunched up ball of metal when it goes too deep

it was the highest point of the ship

(this is both a practical answer given the otherwise dumbass decisions of this company, and a "poop deck"/nautical whimsy joke)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wee posted:

Anyone with an account keeping an eye on DeviantArt for cool fan art about this?

there's a megathread for that kind of thing already

come to think of it, i haven't seen it pop to the front of the pile lately, wonder why

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

It was designed and made over the weekend?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Should we make a sub to go save them or

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

verbal enema posted:

If we weren't lazy and we actually built that Goon aircraft carrier, we could be part of the search effort!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Can’t believe they use a generic controller in wireless mode to drive the thing, I barely trust those things to play contra clones at this point.

Since everybody’s on the floor and the controller’s not connected to anything, I’m just picturing the 3D printed joysticks being there so no one can accidentally sit on it and scuttle the sub on a rock. Don’t attach the controls to anything, just put big rear end spikes on it like what they use to keep pidgeons off of ledges.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hamelekim posted:

Gabe Newell spent 37 million dollars on his 2 man submarine that can go down to the deepest parts of the ocean.

Imagine being trapped in a sub with Gaben

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Looking into it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Gaben should be worried about being trapped in a sub with ME because I'll complain about HL3 not being released and pitch tons of ideas and he can't get away from me this time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Buce posted:

this pretty much happens in peter watts' starfish, so that means the rest ofd the book is going to play out.

I’m talking with a buddy about this and The Abyss and that weird oxygenated fluid they breathe came up and Starfish immediately came to mind. God I love Peter Watts’ work.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also if you stick the business end of a bicycle pump into your urethra you can pump yourself up to 600 psi or so. Obviously wouldn’t help in this situation but it’s useful for shallower dives.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol imagine camming 5 people into a box that's like 10 feet wide and then you got some stranger inches away grunting and straining as they take a massive smelly poo poo in some hole while blocking the only window, then knowing that you're gonna have to smell that for days. Then someone can't take it and they puke right next to you and there's nothing to clean that up, while someone else shits their pants since they couldn't wait for the one hole to clear

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

These stats need updating

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Why isn't the mainstream media reporting on the obvious kraken attack possibility? Did the deep state get to them?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I don't think he can fit in his own submarine.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What are the TikTok titanic truthers saying about all this?

I don’t know if this came up already but I saw an article in the times about it just a couple days ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/16/business/titanic-tiktok-misinformation.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

quote:

On the short-form video app, long-established facts about the crash are being newly litigated as musty rumors merge with fresh misinformation and manipulated content — a demonstration of TikTok’s potent ability to seed historical revisionism about even the most deeply studied cases.

One 32-second post opens with a dramatic black-and-white drawing of the Titanic, its stern straining above waves studded with people, set to a spooky synthesizer tune. A man in a hoodie and a backward baseball cap, crudely green-screened into the frame, makes a familiar argument (accompanied by an emoji of a screaming face): “The Titanic NEVER actually sank.” Looking into the camera, he repeats the so-called and exhaustively disproved “swap” theory — that the ruins on the seabed belong to the Titanic’s older and decrepit sister ship, the Olympic, scuttled in an attempt at insurance fraud.

Another video presents a conspiracy theory that the wreck was a “hit job” ordered by the financier J.P. Morgan — whose real name was John Pierpont Sr. — to eliminate opponents of the Federal Reserve.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Oh I'll finally learn what hl3 is supposed to loving be

Also I drew up a schematic on the sub

So that's me up front as obviously I'm the captain. I'm also very tall and like to stand so some structural designs were made. The three people are there to help with the rescue. One has a hard hat with a light on it because that's always a good idea and is a very cool position to have. The next dude has a pickaxe incase any minecraft poo poo goes down. And the third dude is just happy to have a day off work. Unpaid though but hey that's how it goes. We also have food and fun to keep morale high. Also we can exit the sub on our own if we want that seems kind of important. And I'm drinking a beer and smoking a joint cuz that's what I was doing when I drew this

Looks good imo

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisces-class_deep_submergence_vehicle#1973_Pisces_III_rescue

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

verbal enema posted:

So that's me up front as obviously I'm the captain. I'm also very tall and like to stand so some structural designs were made. The three people are there to help with the rescue. One has a hard hat with a light on it because that's always a good idea and is a very cool position to have. The next dude has a pickaxe incase any minecraft poo poo goes down. And the third dude is just happy to have a day off work. Unpaid though but hey that's how it goes. We also have food and fun to keep morale high. Also we can exit the sub on our own if we want that seems kind of important. And I'm drinking a beer and smoking a joint cuz that's what I was doing when I drew this

Looks good imo

No minifridge for future beers, poor planning but the idea is solid imo

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Underwater deaths are scary to think about and this is a really uncool way to go.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

satanic splash-back posted:

No minifridge for future beers, poor planning but the idea is solid imo

The hell do you think Food and Fun means

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

These stats need updating

Very real irl lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

Looks good imo

i like the hard hat with the light

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

verbal enema posted:

The hell do you think Food and Fun means

I thought that was the name of the vessel

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Bobcats posted:

Underwater deaths are scary to think about and this is a really uncool way to go.

If it makes you feel better it takes the human nervous system 200 ms to react to stimuli and they were dead in half that time so they never felt it (assuming it imploded)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If it makes you feel better it takes the human nervous system 200 ms to react to stimuli and they were dead in half that time so they never felt it (assuming it imploded)

this is really cool and if i was at the funeral and that fact was said by the preist or a family member I would go, Hell yeah alright, and then clap a bit