Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Crusty Nutsack posted:

that one looks like it's photoshopped on. I'm not sure if that's even sadder than that existing

It does, but it's one of the suggested uses for this thing at Home Depot, so somebody's probably actually done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I guess I haven't seen anybody psychotic enough to install a barn door as their front door, but I'm sure it's coming.

e: Never mind. I had too much faith in humanity.

Thats just an overcomplicated storm door!

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My downstairs bathroom has a pocket door but if I ever had to replace it I think Id just do a barn door to save the work of ripping everything out but the plan is generally not to need to replace it. Anyway, pocket doors are cooler than barn doors anyway. They hide in the wall!

If replace it with a barn door and you have any pets, they will watch your guests piss.

Apr 7, 2003

I just bought a house that has one bathroom with a barn door and another bathroom with pocket doors. Win win

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

This was a pretty fun read about Canadian housing prices

https://macleans.ca/longforms/the-end-of-homeownership/amp/

quote:

This living arrangement marks me as a member of an under-discussed demographic: the nepo babies of the housing market. Since 1977, homeowners have acquired more than $3.2 trillion dollars in wealth, which today is flowing downward to their children, amplifying inequality across generations. Im grateful for my circumstances, but I know it has nothing to do with my own virtue or achievement. Canadas housing market is no more meritocratic than a lotteryand some of us hold winning tickets printed long before we were born.
Ashley Jardine is one young parent who had to choose between space for a growing family and life in the city. In March of 2020, at 34 years old, she and her partner moved to Bowen Island, a 20-minute ferry ride from Vancouver, where they could afford to size up from a one-bedroom loft to a rented house, with room for two young kids and a rambunctious dog. They fell in love with the folksy island community and worked hard to save a down payment for a home there.

But here the same old story repeated itself. By the following spring, prices had risen well over 30 per cent, and their landlords seized the hot market to sell. They offered Jardine the chance to buy the house privately, but she couldnt afford the $850,000 asking price. Even that was a bargain, with most houses on the island selling for more than $1 million. They found another rental, but they know that isnt a permanent situation either. Today, a sense of precarity looms over the familys otherwise idyllic situation.

And as a renter, Jardine senses an invisible wedge between her family and the neighbours. She wonders why shes putting so much into a community she knows shell one day be forced to leave: I feel a kind of desperation. And Im also very bitter about it. I dont want to go.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1670664826178134016?s=20

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

barn doors for bathrooms are the worst

all da smells and sounds will assault

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It's stupid, but not as stupid as open cabinets.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Why are open cabinets stupid? Opening doors to grab a cup seems to be one additional step we can remove from our lives with minimal drawbacks. What, you don't want to stare at my 90s McDonalds Batman cup collection? That's a "you" problem.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A Bad King posted:

Why are open cabinets stupid? Opening doors to grab a cup seems to be one additional step we can remove from our lives with minimal drawbacks. What, you don't want to stare at my 90s McDonalds Batman cup collection? That's a "you" problem.

i want to show off my cheetos at all times as they go well with my goon lair design

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A Bad King posted:

if you use your stovetop a lot, you'll wonder why the "clean" dishes in your open cupboard are dirty all the time

or if you open your windows in a large city or dusty environment

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bad King posted:

Why are open cabinets stupid?

The dishes get gross. there tends to be oil and water mists from cooking and sinks in kitchens. that and dust settles on your dishes.

Apr 7, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

yeah, it rules, the whole house can smell you making GBS threads

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if you use your stovetop a lot, you'll wonder why the "clean" dishes in your open cupboard are dirty all the time

or if you open your windows in a large city or dusty environment

For the first point, sounds like fume hoods need more enforcement.

I have a collection of mid-century tea and coffee porcelain from the USSR/Russia and it's dirty from just years of non-use (no three-letter alphabet agencies have come by to take away my husband -- yet). All other dishes get used and cycled through on the daily. This doesn't sound like a big issue.

The big issue is having to move more muscles than any ape should throughout the day. I'm pro-kill-cabinets.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bad King posted:

For the first point, sounds like fume hoods need more enforcement.

lots of home just have an over the range microwave that just shoots it out into the kitchen. when they are vented the vent runs are often long and make them ineffective.

I finally have a effective fan with an extremely short vent run over my range and its incredibly nice.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

lots of home just have an over the range microwave that just shoots it out into the kitchen. when they are vented the vent runs are often long and make them ineffective.

I finally have a effective fan with an extremely short vent run over my range and its incredibly nice.

My apartment has one of these microwave vents, and it doesn't even extend over the main front burners. I don't even know what the point of it is.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
Recirculating vents are ok with the carbon filters in place but theyre usually not included and most people dont even know theyre supposed to be in there

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
My kitchen doesn't have any vents or even windows that open to the outside (the kitchen windows go to a hallway that was added to connect the garage to the house, the bathroom window also goes into this hallway), so I use a corsi cube whenever I cook on the stove, works pretty well for sucking up all the smoke.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just have a carbon filter vent under the microwave, but i don't use the stovetop often (not at all in warmer months), and when I do it's usually something that's covered (most often a dutch oven) so that helps.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dxt posted:

corsi cube

cool, never heard of this before. it's like a dorm room spoof but for covid

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My place has a recirculating range (blows back into the room) with no carbon filter. I don't think the lack of carbon filter is that bad for us as we're vegetarians and so we don't do a lot of high-heat oily/smoky frying, but the lack of external exhaust sucks when you're doing very steamy cooking in winter as then all the windows fog up with condensation. It's right next to an external wall so it should be fairly easy to duct outside, it's just not high enough on the priority list to spend our limited cash on.

It's actually illegal to rent out a house without an external venting range in the kitchen here now (we own this house though so it's just up to us to fix it) but like all rental property regulations I'd guess that there's exactly zero enforcement.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I've lived in a lovely apartment for over a decade and there's a vent over the stove that vents into your face with a metal filter that was dirty when I moved in. I don't bother to turn it on, ever. as a result the walls and cabinets are sticky because I cook all the time. it's disgusting.

someone buy me a house

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

someone buy me a house

Not if you live like that...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I've lived in a lovely apartment for over a decade and there's a vent over the stove that vents into your face with a metal filter that was dirty when I moved in. I don't bother to turn it on, ever. as a result the walls and cabinets are sticky because I cook all the time. it's disgusting.

someone buy me a house

The house they buy you will probably have this same problem because range hoods with proper vents are incredibly rare.

What's funnier is that most people don't even realize the hood is just blasting grease back at them.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Buried the lede - they're gonna bulldoze it and build condos.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would like to also nominate en suites with no door at all. I will never understand the appeal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

I would like to also nominate en suites with no door at all. I will never understand the appeal.

I've seen a $1m house where the master bathroom was an en suite essentially divided from the rest of the room by a massive frosted glass stall partition. Like the wall dividing the bathroom and bedroom was not in any way floor to ceiling. If you're lying in bed you just gotta stare at your partner's toilet feet while they take a poo poo.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paradoxish posted:

I've seen a $1m house where the master bathroom was an en suite essentially divided from the rest of the room by a massive frosted glass stall partition. Like the wall dividing the bathroom and bedroom was not in any way floor to ceiling. If you're lying in bed you just gotta stare at your partner's toilet feet while they take a poo poo.

Hell yeah, you can look into each other's eyes while poop is exiting one of your butts. Maybe both of your butts if you are willing to change the sheets.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

Hell yeah, you can look into each other's eyes while poop is exiting one of your butts. Maybe both of your butts if you are willing to change the sheets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avb1XbO0EIs

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
from chinese brothel architecture, to rich people chic

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Big things happening in Canada!

banks in Canada have allowed people to extend amortizations on variable rate mortgages when rates started to shoot up so now there are people with like 60 year amortization rates and they're being given until the end of the year to increase payments so that their mortgages can be dropped back to 25 years

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

actionjackson posted:

lol this guy went on it only a month before, bet he feels a bit lucky to be alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZsK7zSCJ2w

Having played rollercoaster tycoon I can immediately tell you how that slide is going to fail (too heavy, crests hill too fast resulting in explosion decapitation)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the cutesy bathroom word "art" is getting out of hand

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The fashion polices' budgets were the only politically acceptable sacrifice after the public outrage on police brutality and while all cats are beautiful, we must addr--

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The matching wall tiling extending out from the tub is ugly as gently caress and that would straight up look better with just paint on that wall.

Apr 7, 2003

Sure, the tile looks like crap, but at least the fixtures are the cheapest builder grade stuff from Lowe's.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
edit: this is just the same joke somebody made above me nm

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I read this as an Airbnb that doesn't want to clean up piss dribbles on the floor.

I can't say I blame them but part of my use of the space is pissing near the toilet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Big things happening in Canada!

banks in Canada have allowed people to extend amortizations on variable rate mortgages when rates started to shoot up so now there are people with like 60 year amortization rates and they're being given until the end of the year to increase payments so that their mortgages can be dropped back to 25 years

Why the gently caress would you get a Variable Rate after 2008!?!?! I've never understood that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I'm the drop ceiling in 2023

You can be the dryer vent hose exiting via an improperly finished hole in the drywall