Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

American McGay posted:

I don’t think the item tooltips on that site actually show the item you have equipped. It seems to be pulling from a database of what the item was when it dropped and not what it looks like after you’ve slapped an aspect on it and rerolled an affix.

Yeah it's not extremely helpful in that regard. I noticed that on mine as well.

wemgo posted:

PSA:
You owe it to your carpal tunnels to at least try the game with a controller.

I did this the other night and loved how easy Corpse Explosion was with a controller but when poo poo truly hits the fan I just can't hit the buttons as quickly as I would on KB+M. Probably would be easier with some practice but every time I try a controller I end up switching back after not that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since resistances are broken/useless atm you can't really go for a tank & spank with lifesteal kinda character I guess? Just curious what would be the most safe / tanky hardcore character.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI you can just hold down the CE and Raise Skeleton key as you wave the mouse around

If you click the CE button you get the gamepad behavior

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's not extremely helpful in that regard. I noticed that on mine as well.

I think Blizzard is suppose to have better API tools coming, so this should improve with time.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I tried to play both poe (potions on d-pad, really?) and ffxiv (just too many buttons to try to map) with controller and it just wasnt worth it. D4 is great though. There is a learning curve, of course, but after 60ish hours i struggle when forced to use kb+m in this game.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Since resistances are broken/useless atm you can't really go for a tank & spank with lifesteal kinda character I guess? Just curious what would be the most safe / tanky hardcore character.

Armor works fine, just focus on raising armor/life and you end up pretty tanky.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

FrickenMoron posted:

Tbh if you stick with defensive affixes on slots they can appear, and don’t try push too far beyond 3 levels above your character (where meaningful xp gains stop) I think the only places you might die are right at the difficulty transitions. If you were asking about the e safest character to try to push nightmare 100 with I haven’t been there yet. My impression is basically everyone gets 1 shot there so it probably flips back around to get all the dps.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Barb gets an innate 10% dmg reduction as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

complaining about a lack of content after playing an ungodly 200 loving hours in a game is legit insane. how tf does anyone have 200 hrs logged lol.

I'm enjoying how the synergy is lining up so far between itemization and the skills I have. Got two legendaries that massively buff armor in wolf form / turn dire bear into a Dire Wolf. So I dropped Boulder and just committed to full Shred/Bloodhowl/Dire Wolf Ult/Rabies loadout. Zipping around with the 3-dash version of Shred and spreading carnage and disease while yelping and going wolf-saiyin has been a blast. I realize most people rank Claw stuff lower but the legendary aspects buffing Wolf-related stuff really change things.

Druid stronghold was also really fun---do all classes have their own "stronghold" thing to do, i.e. visiting their old college campuses and freeing them? I knew druids had their tree sanctuary by default but wondered if the other classes would get to

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought this was a really good and eye opening video into damage and gearing for those struggling with their characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z60qTalVlc discovered this video this morning, and it went over a bunch of stuff I didn't know about, or interpreted incorrectly

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

FWIW: Even with the stacking of defensive affixes on gear and an HP pool of around 35k my HP is swinging around wildly in high keys. If your build is entirely offensive, you're just dead from white ranged mobs at a certain sigil level. In a 96 key last night, before I got fortify and barrier up I was one shot 2x going around the first corner in the dungeon, that's with 15.6k life. You also can't completely neglect damage either, certain mob affixes on elites will require you to put down 5-10million DPS to kill the mob or else it'll LS back up.

There's really only a handful of builds not exploiting across all classes that can reliably clear NM 90+ and Uber Lilith. Most other builds will start to really fall off in the 50-70 range.

DLC Inc posted:

complaining about a lack of content after playing an ungodly 200 loving hours in a game is legit insane. how tf does anyone have 200 hrs logged lol.

I get 32 days of PTO a year and decided to use 5 of them on launch week which also coordinated with other things IRL that needed to be done. It really cut down over the past week and a half though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
100 hours a week of Diablo 4.

My brother in Inarius you have played Diablo 4 harder than most people work two jobs simultaneously.

If the end game was more engaging I assume you'd starve to death. Blizz did you a favor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sure there are downsides to using a controller instead of kb/m but I'll be damned if I ever click to move again when given the choice

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I'm sure there are downsides to using a controller instead of kb/m but I'll be damned if I ever click to move again when given the choice

If there is a disadvantage, I haven't found it from playing on Steam Deck.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I assume it's counting you leaving the game running on the title screen and going to bed or something. My hours played definitely doesn't reflect how much I've actually clicked monsters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

If there is a disadvantage, I haven't found it from playing on Steam Deck.

It's a lot harder targeting specific enemies for various reasons. My poison shred druid had to dash through groups so I would ideally target someone on the far side of a pack of enemies and it made it pretty tough to do that. On my necro I try to put Corpse Tendrils on the other side of packs too so they get dragged away from me and pinned together for a couple seconds, I also found it kinda tough to specify which corpse I wanted to tendril with a gamepad. Like I said in my last post probably something I could learn to work with but it just feels so much easier to do some of the crazier stuff you have to do to stay alive in higher level NM dungeons with a kb+m.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's definitely true that you can teleport or leap farther and with more accuracy with a mouse but again, then I'd have to click to move, and I refuse

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Harrow posted:

It's definitely true that you can teleport or leap farther and with more accuracy with a mouse but again, then I'd have to click to move, and I refuse

Yeah I have some extra functions assigned to the side buttons on my mouse and when it gets real sweaty in a dungeon I am loving clicking like a madman. Moving around with a joystick really is so much easier.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
After 200 hours of mouse movement and permanent rsi I declare mouse controls bad. Sorry goons that's just how it is.

E in all seriousness I'm still in my thirties with my first character lol where do you people find the time. I was kinda not prepared for how slow leveling is in this, tbh.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

i cant tell u how far it pushes cos im playing other characters now for a bit to try other stuff out, but i built tank lifesteal on necro and got to level 80, and it worked fine (in softcore). on content that wasnt significantly over my level my hp basically wouldnt move. but necro only has one way to break cc so idk if its the safest option for hardcore, bcos there are still times where i just get chain cc'd after blowing my unstoppable too early and get murdered bcos im in a tier 50. other characters have way more safety nets.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://d4armory.io/?account=57456440&hero=847fd680-03f7-11ee-9196-f521936e68fb

I can't believe I'm almost at 4 days played...

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

explosivo posted:

It's a lot harder targeting specific enemies for various reasons.

Yeah lock-on targeting doesn't always move where you expect it with the right stick.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, sometimes i TP 2 feet away and sometimes i TP offscreen to enemies i havent even encountered yet, lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Controller is great until it comes to respecs or inventory management. It's perfectly serviceable but easier with a mouse IMO. I can't always pop the exact corpse or enemy I was aiming for but it's usually close enough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wuxi posted:

Also why the gently caress can I change tattoos at will but not my hairstyle? This is loving unacceptable, I cant choose one hairstyle for all eternity

I think you can edit a lot more character options from select before you go into the game. I saw those options and was surprised that in-game options are different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poemdexter posted:

I assume it's counting you leaving the game running on the title screen and going to bed or something. My hours played definitely doesn't reflect how much I've actually clicked monsters.

I have 107 hours played myself, so if nothing else I have absolutely gotten my monies worth.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm going to get this eventually but right now it's FF16 time and then AEW Fight Forever and then Cyberpunk 2077 in September. Do these games ever go on sale on PC?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Shard posted:

I'm going to get this eventually but right now it's FF16 time and then AEW Fight Forever and then Cyberpunk 2077 in September. Do these games ever go on sale on PC?

Cyberpunk’s regularly on sale these days…

Blizz games go on sale after a few years/decades.

Don’t buy til you want to play but also i wouldnt count on any sales for d4 for a year at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

E in all seriousness I'm still in my thirties with my first character lol where do you people find the time. I was kinda not prepared for how slow leveling is in this, tbh.

I think that was something that threw me for a loop here too, in Diablo III it was ultra fast on top of the cap being level 70, you get to the cap too in a few hours. In this its 100 and is similar to Diablo II in leveling speed. But at least here you're not just doing Baal runs endlessly while Whoopi Goldberg apparently steals all of the loot in your run.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tokubetsu posted:

All you need to do is find a skill that applies vulnerable, stack gear that boosts vulnerable damage then level up the glyph that increase vulnerable damage. Then try to get rolls that make that vulernable window last as long as possible/happens as often possible. Enjoy the rain of big numbers.

This.
I was doing absolutely okay clearing 92-94 NM dungeons at a reasonable speed at lvl 80 without hardly ever needing a potion, but I must have switched out the Exploit glyph a while back and didn't even notice, because everything died anyway in a matter of seconds.

When I finally realized I wasn't getting vulnerable health bars on the mobs, I checked, put it back in and it went from "chill run" to a "lol, lmao" 7 digit dmg murder spree clearing sprints.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Shard posted:

II Resurrected and IIi Eternal go on deep discount pretty regularly but I have no idea how long it would take for this one to drop in price especially since it sold as well as it did.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After getting some gear for a Shred build for my druid, I re-specced from lightning melty guy to a Shred/Wolf/Poison Creeper build. It lasted maybe an hour before I was bored to tears, and I felt like I couldn't melt screens of enemies nearly as quickly.

I went back to Lightning/Hurricane/Cataclysm and all feels right in the world again filling the screen with massive storms and demons dying.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I think that was something that threw me for a loop here too, in Diablo III it was ultra fast on top of the cap being level 70, you get to the cap too in a few hours. In this its 100 and is similar to Diablo II in leveling speed. But at least here you're not just doing Baal runs endlessly while Whoopi Goldberg apparently steals all of the loot in your run.

Oh yeah for sure it's not really a complaint. The rate is such that I am enjoying pacing the game out over a longer time period. Items matter enough and are random enough that going through the process is actually pretty fun. Though it might be harder to commit to seasons at this rate.

Also I agree with whoever said all the skills should get damage boosts and something should be done about the supremacy of vulnerable. I didn't put it together in the beta but I'm pretty sure that's why my sorcerer was stacking it and did great. Did same with the storm druid and it works okay but the disparity between damage output between skills is pretty bad. It's very fixable though and I'm sure it will be eventually. There'll be weird brain worms and tears in the meantime no doubt.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Oh yeah for sure it's not really a complaint. The rate is such that I am enjoying pacing the game out over a longer time period. Items matter enough and are random enough that going through the process is actually pretty fun. Though it might be harder to commit to seasons at this rate.

Ooh totally! I didn't interpret your post as a complaint. Seasons will hopefully speed this up, or at least make it so that the battle pass does not require anything too crazy. I think Blizzard stated that the goal is for the casual player to be able to always be able to complete even the premium battle pass each season.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m trying to wrap my head about the glyph leveling system and I honestly don’t see how they landed on what we have. Compared to legendary gems in D3 everything about this feels… really bad? And super slow?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m trying to wrap my head about the glyph leveling system and I honestly don’t see how they landed on what we have. Compared to legendary gems in D3 everything about this feels… really bad? And super slow?

It starts off really slow, but gets better as you get higher tier NM dungeons to run. You want to be pretty selective in your glyphs, this was something I didn't understand at first. They should be ones that support the core of what your build is trying to do. So mine is minions, so I pick glyphs that support my minions and golem.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I usually value speed over pure safety so I might be a bit off, but generally every class minus sorc can be incredibly tanky in HC. Sorc cannot push the raw armour numbers the other classes can thanks to the garbo paragon boards and relies more on CC to stave of death.
Caster necro has all the damage reduction, Barb is Barb and just really tanky. Druid also has a decent amount of damage reduction, lots of armour scaling in werebear/wolf and easy fortify. I'd chose one of those three.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's basically the exact same as the gems in D3? Except that you can technically level glyphs at any NM dungeon rank, whereas the gems would eventually scale out to 0% chance to upgrade as they leveled up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

whats there to wrap your head around. higher nm tier dungeons give more glyph xp. thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do you people play for 12-16 hours a day, after five hours of Diablo my brain turns into a fine paste. Also do you not have jobs