Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just played against some guy that spent about 7000 on support items. More like 11,000 actually because he bought 2 moon shards for his cores. His KDA very much reflected this but his team won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Geight posted:

You gotta play ranked so your whole team can stick around and gloat about their free mmr only to realize the guy on the enemy team who quit is the only one who isn't having a phenomenal game and you're about to get rolled 4v5.

yeah plus the remaining guys get extra gold so they're like 1 item ahead in their builds meanwhile your team is like, it's 4v5 ez pz let's gently caress around instead of ending asap and then you lose

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i win at least half of the games I play where we go down to 4v5 and it's entirely because everyone who is left generally focuses their hatred on the person who left and just buckles down and plays the game

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been addicted to TOTK + D4 the last month and a half, haven't played any DOTA so I'm just now seeing my battle report

That's skill alright! Pure skill!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
If you only queue Dota with friends and stick to Discord, you get to blame your pub teammates as much as you want (even when you're the problem) and always have 10k behavior.

If this option isn't available to you because you don't have friends and your behavior score is low, it means you need therapy.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like I've lost the thread on how best to use Underlord's ult with the new patch - He's still a decent enough hero because he fits into the "big aura boat" archetype and he's versatile enough that you can still flex your build to whatever's needed, but with the new map and the little nerfs to Fiend's Gate I find myself unable to be the sort of omnipresent threat/taxi service that I used to be. I had a game recently where I felt like I played well enough, kept up with the other cores in terms of NW and KDA, but I literally didn't ult once, and not for lack of trying! We were just always already together and the enemy never presented an obviously overextended core to try and drop in behind. I even asked my team "hey just yell for gate" but it's just not coming up and I feel stupid for not using my hero's ultimate ability and then trying to say "well I did all I could to win".

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Geight posted:

I feel like I've lost the thread on how best to use Underlord's ult with the new patch - He's still a decent enough hero because he fits into the "big aura boat" archetype and he's versatile enough that you can still flex your build to whatever's needed, but with the new map and the little nerfs to Fiend's Gate I find myself unable to be the sort of omnipresent threat/taxi service that I used to be. I had a game recently where I felt like I played well enough, kept up with the other cores in terms of NW and KDA, but I literally didn't ult once, and not for lack of trying! We were just always already together and the enemy never presented an obviously overextended core to try and drop in behind. I even asked my team "hey just yell for gate" but it's just not coming up and I feel stupid for not using my hero's ultimate ability and then trying to say "well I did all I could to win".

Just use it to steal widsom runes and enemy tormenter in every game where you're slightly ahead and the enemy will cry.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Superrodan posted:

Just use it to steal widsom runes and enemy tormenter in every game where you're slightly ahead and the enemy will cry.

This legit loving sucks to play against as the 5. You have to be at the rune well before it spawns taking you out of lane and he can gently caress you up and steal it anyway.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Just wanting to say that the universal hero meta is fantastic for grimstroke aghs. Make copies of Abaddon/wr/void spirit/mag > right click on enemy support > 3 v 5 fight because they either get slaughtered or have to run away.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.33d

I haven't watched Pro DOTA in a hot minute, is this just like "gently caress all the good heroes right now"?

Also lol at buffing Lina, she was super meta not that long ago :shrug:

quote:

Primal Beast
Pulverize
Each time the target is slammed, Hit Damage is now increased by 30/50/70 for the spell's duration

THANKFUL ROAR

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're buffing caster Lina, though. She was being played as a carry.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man you see some poo poo that makes you scratch your head late at night. How did my right-clicker teammate take 15 times as much damage as he dealt in an hour long game?

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
I had an OD fall to pieces when PA wasn't buying dust. Hyper focused on their play instead of contuing to dominate.

"PA doesn't know how to play. gg" My dude, it's Friday after midnight in an unranked game, what are you expecting?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/6252732681186068104 no more battle pass

dota2 posted:

Most Dota players never buy a Battle Pass and never get any rewards from it. Every Dota player has gotten to explore the new map, play with the new items, and accidentally die to a Tormentor; every Dota player benefits from UI improvements and new client features. Community response to New Frontiers has helped us build confidence that working less on cosmetic content for the Battle Pass and more on a variety of exciting updates is the right long-term path for Dota as both a game and a community.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't buy that explanation at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dead game

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The BP makes them literally hundreds of millions a year, what the heck has gone on behind the scenes for them to say "actually we want to focus more on you, the Dota player" I'm so confused

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The BP makes them literally hundreds of millions a year, what the heck has gone on behind the scenes for them to say "actually we want to focus more on you, the Dota player" I'm so confused

The only explanation given is that it forces too much content into one update and leaves the game kinda dead for the rest of the year. They did an experiment developing the new frontiers and 7.33 patches outside of the normal BP scope and the community liked it more.

How they monetize and fundraise for TI not explained. I kinda miss the days when third parties could make their own BPs. Maybe it's sunsfans fault for making a successful BP that valve couldn't help but copy the model.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That's basically what they said. Any efforts were "Battle Pass value" efforts. Now they won't feel beholden to a single big thing.

No reason they can't still just sell crates of hats on the side.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ILL Machina posted:

The only explanation given is that it forces too much content into one update and leaves the game kinda dead for the rest of the year. They did an experiment developing the new frontiers and 7.33 patches outside of the normal BP scope and the community liked it more.

How they monetize and fundraise for TI not explained. I kinda miss the days when third parties could make their own BPs. Maybe it's sunsfans fault for making a successful BP that valve couldn't help but copy the model.

it's possible that they think they can get more value out of dota+ subs if they can keep more people invested year round I guess?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't see a good reason to disbelieve valve here. They're trying to pull back from the battle pass, probably because it sees diminishing returns for time put in, and the other micro events like aghs lab and diretide pulled in similar returns. So instead of putting everything in the battlepass basket they spread out the work and effort into events and event crates.

Honestly the TI battlepass has been a bloated mess of features for years, with poo poo like player cards collections and secondary paid boxes on the paid battlepass. I'm sure these had their fans, but all I was ever personally interested in were a couple arcanas and the cavern crawl, where I had an excuse to play random heroes while tanking my mmr.

Breaking up the bloat is probably overdue, but knowing valve's record all it means is that there's no battlepass and no events until sometime 2025.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think this last Cavern Crawl was the first time I ever attempted it. Couldn't give less of a poo poo about anything Pro-scene-adjacent like cards, fantasy drafts or anything else.

Onehandclapping posted:

but knowing valve's record ... no events until sometime 2025.

I mean arguably this whole thing means new features more frequently, because they're not bundling X months of dev effort for the annual BP.
That said, it is Valve so I do still recommend taking a big grain of salt with anything regarding timeliness :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Valve can just stop making all their games and continue making infinite money from Steam forever, they're basically the only big company that can make a decision like this because they have no shareholders to appease and no risk of failure.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

IceFrog bought them out

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Dota 3 is coming

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dota VR

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Weird reasoning considering many other games have free battle passes with limited unlocks every few levels, and only by paying for the premium do you get stuff every level.

They also could just include a cut down battle pass with dota+ to incentivise more people to purchase that.

I'm not complaining because this will just save me money as I'll often buy the battle pass and barely play.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Also man I'm annoyed that they nerfed Windranger and she still dominated both games I played today

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm just completely cynical about anything Valve says at this point. My take is that they thought the Battlepass was too much work and they're trying to sell that decision to stop doing it as a positive.

The other problem is that doing TI is also a lot of work and the part that brought in millions and millions of dollar is going away now...

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

already exists my friend, i watched TI 10 games in VR and got motion sickness so stopped almost immediately

e; it's actually a cool concept, if wearing a vr headset for long periods wasnt uncomfortable it would be my preferred viewing method (and they updated the controls)

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 20, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

As a big battlepass enjoyer I'm honestly glad it's being scaled back/removed just because every year I trick myself into thinking I'll improve my play by doing cavern crawl stuff and I spend a couple months playing whack heroes half-assedly because it's in my crawl and not because it's good for the current match and afterwards I'm just worse at my normal picks and have a set for a hero I already have something cooler for. Whether they follow up on promises of more content or not I'm just glad to have those distractions taken away because I can't be trusted to ignore them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m a one-hero spammer, and I still loved cavern crawl. This sucks. I think they should have seasonal passes, just scaled down.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Arcanas were better when they cost $35 in the store and you could buy them whenever instead of having to spend significantly more to unlock them in the battle pass before they go away forever.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m a one-hero spammer, and I still loved cavern crawl. This sucks. I think they should have seasonal passes, just scaled down.
Hello fellow spammer.

I spam Visage because I have some form of brain damage.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Tinker spammer and Visage spammer shaking hands like Ryu and Cyclops

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I'm an arc warden spammer because down here at 1.6k there's a decent chance no one knows what my spells do

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

I'm an arc warden spammer because down here at 1.6k there's a decent chance no one knows what my spells do

At approximately 5k MMR, all I know is I should avoid those spooky ghost mines.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Nichael posted:

At approximately 5k MMR, all I know is I should avoid those spooky ghost mines.

The ghost mines are fun because they have insane range, so they're good for getting kills when the enemy thinks they've gotten away. But people generally aren't prepared for the absurd power curve of hitting level 6 and suddenly getting a free clone with their own cool downs and mana pool.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Angrymantium posted:

How's the radiant/dire split felt since they did that to Arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

The ghost mines are fun because they have insane range, so they're good for getting kills when the enemy thinks they've gotten away. But people generally aren't prepared for the absurd power curve of hitting level 6 and suddenly getting a free clone with their own cool downs and mana pool.

Right, right, got it. Avoid spooky ghosts.