Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The Golf R seems to be in short supply too. Wait times in Canada are 12-18 months or more, not to mention ADM bullshittery. In Quebec dealerships aren't allowed to sell new cars higher than MSRP so of course there are lots of "used" Golf Rs with 300 km for a low, low price of $10k more than new.

The new RS3 isn't available for sale here anymore either due to some unknown compliance issue with the I5 :(

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

The two must have features I think I have are automatic temp control and CarPlay

I didn't realize how much I liked auto climate until I bought a car recently that doesn't have it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

For better or worse, Suzuki might be the reason we are finally getting our Jetsons future.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/japans-suzuki-make-flying-cars-with-skydrive-2023-06-20/

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Car journalists are giving the ITS a proper fellat, so lol at 4k annual production

I know it’s a bit smaller, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people comparing it to the Golf R, which seems to hit a similar balance of fast/comfy/price-point. They’re also actually attainable.
They should've stuck with the VR6. :colbert:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

It boggles my mind every time I play the game "does it or doesnt it" when it comes to various cars and their availability of Ventilated Seats.
The recent shockers for me were some of the Volvos, and as mentioned some of the BMWs. It seemed like for a bit this was becoming more mainstream option wise. Then Covid supply chain constraints showed up and now its back to being a pain in the rear end to get. Or they quietly deleted the option and it never came back.

Asscoolers have 110% dictated my car choices, they’re such an amazing feature. Annoyingly, you need to order sport seats in the Q5 if you want your butt chilled. To add insult to injury, said ventilation is a downgrade from my Hyundai Elantra’s ventilated seats.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

McTinkerson posted:

For better or worse, Suzuki might be the reason we are finally getting our Jetsons future.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/japans-suzuki-make-flying-cars-with-skydrive-2023-06-20/

https://www.stellantis.com/en/news/press-releases/2023/june/stellantis-archer-move-partnership-from-concept-phase-to-execution-phase

Chrysler is already there. Flying grand caravan Canada value edition already in the pipeline.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Fifty Three posted:

My guy, you must have been saving this for a while.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:lol: Nah, it's just fresh because I was interested in the GR Corolla and got to thinking about Golf Rs and how the engine doesn't quite sound as good as the old R32s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Suzuki engines are used in a bunch of kit planes because they're small and light and time between rebuilds is plane-like.

If there was a list of brands of flying vehicles i would be hesitant to get into, Suzuki and Stellantis would be right up at the top

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Q_res posted:

Except it's not mid 40s, it's low 50s.

45k in 2016 is equivalent to 57k today based on cpi inflation calculator

Fifty Three posted:

:lol: Nah, it's just fresh because I was interested in the GR Corolla and got to thinking about Golf Rs and how the engine doesn't quite sound as good as the old R32s

I heard/saw a golf r the other day with an exhaust on it and it was absolutely horrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fifty Three posted:

the VR6 was tubby and had awful balance

sounded good tho

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Asscoolers have 110% dictated my car choices, they’re such an amazing feature. Annoyingly, you need to order sport seats in the Q5 if you want your butt chilled. To add insult to injury, said ventilation is a downgrade from my Hyundai Elantra’s ventilated seats.

Similar bullshit with BMW on the X3. If you get a m40i and want to get ventilated seats, it removes Sport seats AND Driver Lumbar. So even though the option is only (haha) $500, that also now makes you do a $1500 seat option addition AND you lose out on driver lumbar.
If you step to up the true X3 M, this isnt an issue. Feels really weird to get charged more and lose out big time to get a feature.
Also , BMW ventilated seats are no where near as powerful as other brands.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How about the Veloster N - heated seats come standard in Canada, not even an option for the US market.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Honda Ridgeline is like this too. In Canada it has Dual Zone climate controls for the back seats AND Ventilated seat option for the fronts. Yet in America, neither is available. Its made in the loving South of the US. Why the gently caress would you waste the time to make these options and then only allow them for Canada? I figured they would unfuck this with the refresh and new front and rear, but nope, appears not.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My 86 has heated seats and they’re the best thing ever.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I test drove a Golf R a few years back. TBQH, seemed like a perfect daily driver.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Franco Caution posted:

Honda Ridgeline is like this too. In Canada it has Dual Zone climate controls for the back seats AND Ventilated seat option for the fronts. Yet in America, neither is available. Its made in the loving South of the US. Why the gently caress would you waste the time to make these options and then only allow them for Canada? I figured they would unfuck this with the refresh and new front and rear, but nope, appears not.

Yea I was very confused about this as well when I bought mine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is the new Golf R the one without buttons of any kind on the inside because I can tell you why I don't want the new Golf R if so

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thomas pretty much says all VWs have the dumb haptic buttons. One will have to get at least an Audi for real buttons.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KakerMix posted:

Is the new Golf R the one without buttons of any kind on the inside because I can tell you why I don't want the new Golf R if so

Yes that's correct. There's basically no buttons except some haptic stuff and everything is buried in a convoluted touch screen based infotainment system. Some climate stuff is buried in menus rather than immediately accessible.

However allegedly VW is listening to the customers and will restore buttons on the midcycle refresh for the R before doing away with the R entirely for whatever electric stuff is percolating below that.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

It truly turned me off from all things VW. New GolfR sounded neat until I saw what they did to the interior and interface. I honestly need to go see how bad BMW screwed up their new setups now that most buttons are gone outside of the steering wheel stuff.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The new BMW dash is horrible. I blame MB, personally.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

Yes, and also the shifter sucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes, and also the shifter sucks.

I haven’t driven the Mk VIII, worse than earlier cars? VW shifter feel has never been a selling point, but did it get worse?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I haven’t driven the Mk VIII, worse than earlier cars? VW shifter feel has never been a selling point, but did it get worse?

I don't know about earlier generations but the Mk8 shifter is ugly looking, way too big, made of cheap feeling plastic, has actually too little throw, and just plain feels bad.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Franco Caution posted:

I honestly need to go see how bad BMW screwed up their new setups now that most buttons are gone outside of the steering wheel stuff.

The iDrive 8 interface is completely fine.

I think a lot of people have knee jerk reactions to less buttons without ever using the systems or living with them for a little while.

The climate being screen based is a literal non issue in practice and it is easy to change temp or turn on any of the different functions.

I feel like something like 80% of bmw owners didn’t know about the 8 programmable buttons on earlier iteration of idrive so why bother having them. Now you can save your presets and pull them up with a simple swipe down on the screen.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The Completely Fine Driving Machine

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kill me now posted:

The iDrive 8 interface is completely fine.

I think a lot of people have knee jerk reactions to less buttons without ever using the systems or living with them for a little while.

The climate being screen based is a literal non issue in practice and it is easy to change temp or turn on any of the different functions.

I feel like something like 80% of bmw owners didn’t know about the 8 programmable buttons on earlier iteration of idrive so why bother having them. Now you can save your presets and pull them up with a simple swipe down on the screen.

No screen apologists allowed itc

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I just don't like touching a screen, in a vehicle, ever. I like being able to reach over while driving with my hand and by feel, touch, and turn off and on buttons.
I hate seeing fingerprint smudges all over too.
Dead serious, I have never once touched the infotainment screen on my CX5. I always just use the dial to get everywhere.

There is an X5 M50i at the local dealership. I could try to do a test drive and see how annoying the gigantic skateboard screen is with its needed touching, but that's drat near a 100k car so they might hesitate to throw me the keys.
Wouldn't mind trying i4 either but those are almost always spoken for as soon as they come in.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The Adequate Driving Machine

FTFY

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Tried to turn on the defroster to keep me from dying but accidentally ordered a pizza from apple carplay instead

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Franco Caution posted:

I just don't like touching a screen, in a vehicle, ever. I like being able to reach over while driving with my hand and by feel, touch, and turn off and on buttons.
I hate seeing fingerprint smudges all over too.
Dead serious, I have never once touched the infotainment screen on my CX5. I always just use the dial to get everywhere.

There is an X5 M50i at the local dealership. I could try to do a test drive and see how annoying the gigantic skateboard screen is with its needed touching, but that's drat near a 100k car so they might hesitate to throw me the keys.
Wouldn't mind trying i4 either but those are almost always spoken for as soon as they come in.

The current 3 series has the big screen as well, should be plenty of those around.

I don't think it's a big deal, it's not like the system it replaced was some paragon of user friendliness anyway.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Have car prices gotten out of control, or are we just poorer (wage stagnation relative to inflation/underpaid in general)? A mid 90's Integra GSR would have a 42,000USD sticker today if you adjusted its ~1994 price to current dollars, and that's a car with such luxury and performance features like a 170hp engine, cloth seats, aircon and 6 speaker radio/cassette.

I certainly feel like my own earnings haven't kept pace with the rising cost of everything.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Inflation last few years has driven msrp up really quickly. Prices in my head for what a car should be are now way out of wack with reality. A loaded miata stickers over 40k now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

phosdex posted:

Inflation last few years has driven msrp up really quickly. Prices in my head for what a car should be are now way out of wack with reality. A loaded miata stickers over 40k now.

The same 4 Cylinder Mustang that people were saying is such a good value vs the Integra Type S is knocking on $40k, an Ecoboost Premium is $38,685 after destination fee without a single option checked.

On the other hand, EVs don't look so expensive anymore now that everything else is expensive. All of these cars are cheap, the average new car price is about $50k.

Edit: I'm somewhat dreading the future where Tesla succeeds at de-contenting the Model 3, which is their "project highland". After the tax credit the Model 3 already costs about as a mid-trim Camry, if they make it any cheaper the Model 3 will be fighting the Corolla and Civic price wise and it's upsetting to me that Tesla may actually make themselves a competitive option.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

Have car prices gotten out of control, or are we just poorer (wage stagnation relative to inflation/underpaid in general)? A mid 90's Integra GSR would have a 42,000USD sticker today if you adjusted its ~1994 price to current dollars, and that's a car with such luxury and performance features like a 170hp engine, cloth seats, aircon and 6 speaker radio/cassette.

I certainly feel like my own earnings haven't kept pace with the rising cost of everything.

Nah bro inflation is totally under control you should believe the government data

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Twerk from Home posted:

The same 4 Cylinder Mustang that people were saying is such a good value vs the Integra Type S is knocking on $40k, an Ecoboost Premium is $38,685 after destination fee without a single option checked.

On the other hand, EVs don't look so expensive anymore now that everything else is expensive. All of these cars are cheap, the average new car price is about $50k.

It was just me. I don’t think anybody else said it was a decent competitor. It’s also the ecoboost premium, not the base level, so there’s a bunch of poo poo already included. The only non-aesthetic options are the Ford Co-Pilot 360 for $1295 or the High Performance Package for $3475. All told, with both options it’s $43,455. Still roughly $8k less than the Type S. More so if you forgo the copilot.

A base level ecoboost is $33,160 without options. Still 315 hp and 350 lbft.

e: looks like you can still get a 23 ecoboost premium starting at $34,815, making the price gap much higher. That’s the one I was talking about initially.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It was just me. I don’t think anybody else said it was a decent competitor. It’s also the ecoboost premium, not the base level, so there’s a bunch of poo poo already included. The only non-aesthetic options are the Ford Co-Pilot 360 for $1295 or the High Performance Package for $3475. All told, with both options it’s $43,455. Still roughly $8k less than the Type S. More so if you forgo the copilot.

A base level ecoboost is $33,160 without options. Still 315 hp and 350 lbft.

I didn't mean to mock the Mustang, just to say that all cars are expensive now. Hell, I owned a V6 Performance Pack Mustang specifically because it was cheaper than a base BRZ. The Mustang in every form has been one of the biggest performance bargains around, especially if you're a deviant who can be satisfied with the small engine.

If 300hp is the line, sticker price on a 2011 Mustang was $22k for 305hp, and the performance pack was $2k. Except those cars launched into an environment where incentives and discounting was normal, so they went a good bit cheaper than that. My V6 PP was $5,500 off sticker, custom ordered.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've keep running through this in my head as well. My 1998 ITR cost me $25,000 new and was considered overpriced by many. Today that's $46,474 and the 2023 ITS asks $52,500, a difference of $6,026. Is the 2023 ITS $6,026 more car than the 1998 ITR? I'd say yes, as it comes with things like air conditioning and wireless charging. The ITR by contrast has a radio that can be heard if the car isn't running and 125 less HP. Regardless, at $52,500 that's also just $1000 less than I paid for my 2021 TLX-S, which today now sports a MSRP $4,245 higher, landing at $57,745.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

trouser chili posted:

I've keep running through this in my head as well. My 1998 ITR cost me $25,000 new and was considered overpriced by many. Today that's $46,474 and the 2023 ITS asks $52,500, a difference of $6,026. Is the 2023 ITS $6,026 more car than the 1998 ITR? I'd say yes, as it comes with things like air conditioning and wireless charging. The ITR by contrast has a radio that can be heard if the car isn't running and 125 less HP. Regardless, at $52,500 that's also just $1000 less than I paid for my 2021 TLX-S, which today now sports a MSRP $4,245 higher, landing at $57,745.

Yeah, I have to agree. $25k is 47k today and the new ITS is absolutely $6k more car.

I am kind of bummed out about BMW. I feel like they used to make cars that I liked but couldn't afford. Now that I can afford them I don't like them.