Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
So, anyone ever actually used a nuclear det pack to any kind of appreciable effect? It's like a place holder for a later mission, once the caves at the edge of the map actually mean something, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I saw someone plant it at their feet while they were hunkered down. It killed like 3 warriors.

:effort:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Slyphic posted:

Most important change needed, bar none; a different squad color than orange. Dare I suggest green, but literally anything other than the color of 80% of the map.

This was literally one of my first complaints, too:

Fishstick posted:

Ive been playing Veteran and I am extremely enjoying operator with Chem Nade, Ammo Factory, extended mags, grenade cooldown, and the PGL + Heavy Pistol. You have enough AE clearing that you don't really need a launcher and can leave it for others, the nade does great for holding areas, ammo factories for friendly bastions and feeding your grenade lust.

Chem is pretty drat good for base defense, or any kind of of defense really. With the improved grenade cooldown perk you can have a bug-killing cloud up almost indefinitely and it does gangbusters on those situations where bugs are piling on the arc or flooding in from one position. Toss it just outside a wall, near a refinery, on yourself while holding an open position, on the arc that's being pummeled while you repair, etc.

After a good dozen hours my biggesst complaints are mostly UI related. Orange for team indicators when the maps are 90% the same color is not my favorite choice, and nameplates going away after even medium distance makes it hard to get a quick outline of where someone on your team is since all you can see is pale orange class icons:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

quote:

Update 0.3.0: Mutated Sands, Starship Troopers: Extermination's first medium Deployment, will go live on June 22, 2023 at 12:00 PM! The game servers will be briefly unavailable during this medium Deployment and players will need to update the game client.

• Headquarters seeks to reinforce a new location on Valaka: the Fuel Depot.
  • To help Troopers in this mission, the Twin Machine Gun Emplacement will now be constructible in bases.
  • However, Valaka and the Bugs are about to get even more challenging: Mutators will add conditions to AAS and ARC matches above Recruit (Easy) difficulty.
  • Also, the armory will be tuning and rebalancing all primary and secondary weapons in the arsenal thanks to R&D’s efforts in the field.

More stuff on map is cool. Can't tell if the MG is going to be user controllable or like just an upgraded sentry. I thought for sure the existing machinegun objects on the map would be enabled or something. Weapon balance sure sure.

The mutators sound the most fun of that lot, potentially.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/6476786763435734891

Announcing Starship Troopers: Extermination Update 0.3.0: Mutated Sands

Update 0.3.0: Mutated Sands, Starship Troopers: Extermination's first medium Deployment, will go live on Thursday, June 22 at 10:00 AM PT (GMT-7)! The game servers will be briefly unavailable during this medium Deployment and players will need to update the game client.

Headquarters seeks to reinforce a new location on Valaka: the Fuel Depot. To help Troopers in this mission, the Twin Machine Gun Emplacement will now be constructible in bases. However, Valaka and the Bugs are about to get even more challenging: Mutators will add conditions to AAS and ARC matches above Recruit (Easy) difficulty. Also, the armory will be tuning and rebalancing all primary and secondary weapons in the arsenal thanks to R&D’s efforts in the field.

Military Intelligence will share details on these features and more closer to Mutated Sands’ release.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
they better be buffing the ARs instead of nerfing the dmr

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Slyphic posted:

Also, anyone else find the single most effective thing they can do at the end once they make it to the dropship is to crouch in the back, tab open the map, and start issuing orders? Like I'm zen with the loose collective approach throughout the rest of the mission, but I start to lose my cool when people are loving around at the end (I think it's the music). "we have two out, bastion at the pillars needs support, lay down covering fire from the ridge, we've only got 60 seconds, rest of you spread out around the ship on close protection." "The last guy's going down and we'll never make it to him in time. Sorry dude. Time to lift off."

If I'm Hunter, I start doing that at the beginning of evac from my perch... or usually I can just see them all, and provide cover fire... and then I hop over afterward. Kind of depends on if I have a safe jump route or not. It is one of the most useful things though since most people lack situational awareness, and once they get orders they might turn around and do that one helpful thing to get another person out. Once I get back I pop mini-map to check if there's anyone else, but by that point we usually have everyone or the stragglers are dead.
If I'm not hunter, then yeah I wait until I get back to the ship to pop up mini map and issue orders.

That will probably change if we get gunners during evac though. Can't waste no time if I'm going to get shot.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 17, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Slyphic posted:

More stuff on map is cool. Can't tell if the MG is going to be user controllable or like just an upgraded sentry. I thought for sure the existing machinegun objects on the map would be enabled or something. Weapon balance sure sure.

The mutators sound the most fun of that lot, potentially.

This is a manned emplacement, you can see ruins of them in some parts of the map; and they were in the first movie. Some dataminers on discord also found deployable sentries in the files, so maybe a utility for operator or something later?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm having a hard time predicting what mutators we'll see. Different mixes of bugs seems likely, but I'm already seeing occasional waves like that, 30 warriors, 8 gunners, 4 grenadiers (gunner waves s u c k).

Maybe a size mutator?

Speed and health would both be boring as poo poo mutators.

Probably a damage-on-death mutator and I'm not looking forward to that one either.

I takt it back, I'm not really excited for mutators, I want more types of bugs or better bug behavior.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

"Ooops! All gunners"

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I want the bugs to be able to climb on each other and up walls

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can you enter the guntowers you build? I can't figure it out

or are they automated?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Can you enter the guntowers you build? I can't figure it out

or are they automated?

The current ones are automated, next patch will have manned versions

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Good to know, a key part of Starship Troopin' is to man huge guntowers and unload on the bugs

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Personally I want to see every weapon do something like 25% more damage while adding another Warrior and Drone to attack groups that spawn.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Morer is better and all, but I'm already getting some framerate problems at mass spawn events, so maybe after a smidge of optimization. And after better model damage, limbs flying off and poo poo. Both those before raw numbers plzthx.

If the new thing is just a sentry tower on manual, what's the bugs counterplay? Shooting the dude with a gunner or plasma is going to be exactly as unfun as getting bug sniped already is. (they really need to introduce hoppers or some kind of other telegraphed ranged attack you can realistically respond to) Maybe the bug counter is more burrowing up inside the base, attacking the base of the tower? Theres a lot of room for improved tunneling attacks still.

How many and who makes sense to man them, bastions right? Ooh, you know what would be super cool, the emplacement equips class specific gear; autocannons for bastion, grenade launchers for support, maybe some kind of wire-guided missile for hunter. There's already some precedence for this from the old reliant gun platforms from the miniatures line.

I like to spitball solutions to game design quandaries ahead of devs to make sure they're more clever than I am.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Playing only on hard, I find the dmr is hands down the best and most versatile gun. Best dps and the stun is very good.
I would rank the saw as second because of how many stuns you can lay down, you should sweep over a horde instead of focusing one bug at a time so you can delay and sometimes hold back an entire wave while your team kills them off.
Don't know about the support GL, its projectile drop and limited ammo makes it too clumsy for anything except the arc defense where its aoe is maximized.

Trust me it's really, really, really good. At least it's all you need against Warriors because The Emancipator/knife takes out the babies with a single shot, at least on Trooper; plus a GL round + a single Emancipator shot takes out Warriors if you want to and have a chance to conserve ammo on Trooper (my friends hate playing Veterans so I've only done it a handful of times).

Also I don't know why pubbie Operators don't ever run Healing Stims. You want free points? Just heal everyone every time there's a 5000 unit ammo drop, including the extraction ship.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Knife still oneshots drones on Vet thankfully, and of all the things that interrupt reload, meleeing isnt one of them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Anyone seen a TPK yet?

I had my worst mission yet last night, 13 KIA, 2 made it to the boat. And like 10 of the down were in the base. I'm still amazed I even made it out. I was a bastion, had ran out of ammo in both guns, couldn't find ammo anywhere because it had all been destroyed and like half the platoon was already down at that point. I humped my slow rear end self through bugs meleeing like a mad man and crawled onto the ramp with a teensy sliver of health left, then pulled up the map and saw that me and this one hunter were the only arrows still moving.

I wonder if you get different comms chatter if everyone dies and no one makes it to the evac?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The closest I've seen was with an evac 400m away, on top of a building you could only get to climbing pipes which didn't allow clambering half the time, and even then 5 troopers made it

Evac's really not that hard as long as you shoot behind you and walk instead of run

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Evac, at least for Vet, seems to work best if at 85% or 90% complete for scan, assuming there's plenty of health on the arc left, to call for everyone to stop defending the ARC and to gather in one place and that way they're all herded ready to drive. If there's a roof nearby that everyone has easy access to, that makes it even better.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 19, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

42m to the evac point from the ARC. 15/15, and I spent like 2 minutes mostly shooting people who wouldn't get on the loving boat. (6 sniper rounds to the noggin seems to down a trooper pretty effectively, FYI)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Do beacons have a limited number of charges once theyre deployed? Ive noticed theres no limit to how many you can place, just wondering if they eventually "run out".

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Fishstick posted:

Do beacons have a limited number of charges once theyre deployed? Ive noticed theres no limit to how many you can place, just wondering if they eventually "run out".

For scan beacons at least I'm pretty sure they are on a 2 min timer before they disappear.

I haven't used shock beacons as much but I'm pretty sure its the same 2 min regardless on how many bugs run into them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Fishstick posted:

I haven't found a hard limit to any placeables yet during play. Beacons have timers, sure, but I haven't seen anything stopping you from completely emptying a resupply bin and just spamming placeables. Usually I'll place about 6 ammo resupplies around the base (using the resupply building to refill my ammo resupplies) before running off to whereever I plan to defend from.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

New announcement with more info on upcoming content update. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/6476786763449536752?l=english

Mutators sound... interesting?

quote:

We will be seeing Bug and Trooper damage variability, frequent ambushes, and global conditions endemic to the Valakan surface: sandstorms, near-zero visibility, even gravity can’t be trusted.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Having the emplaced MG damage itself as it fires is about the weirdest way of balancing a turret weapon I’ve ever heard of.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Having the emplaced MG damage itself as it fires is about the weirdest way of balancing a turret weapon I’ve ever heard of.

Agreed. I highly doubt you'll find team players willing to sit and repair your gun as you fire it too

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DoubleT2172 posted:

Agreed. I highly doubt you'll find team players willing to sit and repair your gun as you fire it too

Assuming it doesn't require reloading, I don't see how it's any different than a static weapons emplacement that has a cooldown timer. They've just provided a way to skip the cooldown if you've got good teammates.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It'll be a buff to the Improved Repair Tool too.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Barrel damage from wear and overheat is an actual problem with real machine guns so it doesn't seem out of place on a videogame one either.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/jWD2IHA.mp4

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I don't mind them having static MGs that take damage when they fire as long as they implement an xp system for repairing.

They can include that with the fix that completing side objectives gives you bonus xp.

I also kind of want scan beacons to give xp to the person that laid the beacon but I think that would be too broken.

Just give me more xp god dammit, it feels like it takes too long for some classes to get their required rools.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Getting to max level as any class (well, hunter and operator anyway, I still haven't played bastion) barely takes any time at all:

Step 1) Choose ammo stations as your Utility item.
Step 2) Place ammo stations CONSTANTLY. Starting from the very start of the mission. Place two as soon as you exit the dropship and run up to the first fight. You get experience every time someone uses one.
Step 3) Whenever you complete an objective and a bunker with an infinite ammo box drops down, place 4-6 ammo stations outside of that bunker.
Step 4) When you're getting ready for base defense, place 6-8+ ammo stations at various chokepoints, on walls, where your hunters are camping, etc.

I'm not kidding here. People will hoover up ammo from ammo stations constantly and you get experience every time. Just keep spamming more and more ammo stations. Keep running back to the infinite ammo boxes to refill your utilities so you can place even more ammo stations. The limited ammo boxes during base defense are still in your favor: One charge of that ammo box provides EIGHT charges of ammo to your teammates, as long as you are the one who takes it (leave a few charges so they can refill their utilities though).

Step 5) When base defense starts, focus on tagging as many enemies as you can rather than killing enemies. You can rack up 1k+ exp from kill assists alone pretty easily. Go out of your way to hit Grenadiers (300 xp each) and don't use the DMR (fire rate too low to tag literally everything like other guns can).

You'll literally pull in 2000-3000+ exp every AAS mission you do. Step 5 alone is enough to make leveling pretty fast, so do that long enough to unlock ammo stations then go hog wild.

edit: As a related tip: Use every ammo station you see. Give exp to the people dropping them. Just do it. If you see someone spamming ammo stations outside of a bunker, refill you ammo 8+ times from those stations.

e2: This strategy may require playing AAS instead of ARC. I only played ARC a few times but IIRC it gave the same or less exp than AAS does despite taking 3-5x as long.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

quote:

New Servers: APAC Region
Military Intelligence has heard the requests to improve the connection to Valaka for our Troopers stationed around the globe. We are pleased to share that new servers have been added for Asia East, Asia Northeast, and Asia Southeast and will be online when Update 0.3.0 goes live!

Sweet mercy from constantly having a quarter of the troops unable to communicate with the other 12. Going live Thursday with the rest of the changes.

re: Mutators
  • Bug and Trooper damage variability, (lame. but I get it, useful data to collect during a beta, so I'll Do My Part and all)
  • frequent ambushes, (more interesting bug behavior could be cool, though I feel like I'm already getting ambushed by Gunners and teleporting warriors plenty)
  • global conditions endemic to the Valakan surface: sandstorms, near-zero visibility, even gravity can’t be trusted. (sweet, this is the good stuff)
  • live-fire field tests of experimental weapons (I can't tell if they mean we're getting orbital bombardment, bombing runs, off-board artillery strikes, or like caches of special weapons like the Pilums. Either way, rock on, lets get weird)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
who the hell wants to be the repairgimp while the other guy gets to shoot at all the bugs?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zzulu posted:

who the hell wants to be the repairgimp while the other guy gets to shoot at all the bugs?

Presumably the same people who spend the entire round building and repairing as many walls as possible

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Zzulu posted:

You swap positions each cycle utilizing a pair of microphones to coordinate this action, or via model semaphore and a pistol round to the face.

I think it really depends on the length of the repair. If someone with the fast repair perk is doing it, this might be a few scant moments of the fight, and you go back to shooting over the gunners shoulder. I love doing support stuff, I spend most of a match NOT ammo dumping into bugs. Make or break for me is if they give the repair/rearm action an interesting animation. If it's just 'round line go up', gently caress this boring poo poo. If you're swapping barrels, reconnecting ammo packs, and it feels like a part of the action, then that's much cooler.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Slyphic posted:

You swap positions each cycle utilizing a pair of microphones to coordinate this action, or via model semaphore and a pistol round to the face.

I think it really depends on the length of the repair. If someone with the fast repair perk is doing it, this might be a few scant moments of the fight, and you go back to shooting over the gunners shoulder. I love doing support stuff, I spend most of a match NOT ammo dumping into bugs. Make or break for me is if they give the repair/rearm action an interesting animation. If it's just 'round line go up', gently caress this boring poo poo. If you're swapping barrels, reconnecting ammo packs, and it feels like a part of the action, then that's much cooler.

It's just gonna be applying the repair tool to the gun I guarantee. I agree a more in depth action like swapping a barrel or connecting a new ammo can, complete with animation, would have been a much more engaging choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

GruntyThrst posted:

It's just gonna be applying the repair tool to the gun I guarantee.
Yeah... I know. I'm just still having fun with this game and holding out hope the devs won't make unfun design choices.

My current prediction; players sniping one another off the turret, everyone self repairing it, and it's not wholly unfun but just not anywhere as cool and fun as it could be and gets revised 6 months from now and no one misses the old MG.