Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Step dad, come home
Sub sucks, I know
They left you drowning by the wreck
Surprised they used a Logitech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Step dad, come home
Sub sucks, I know

:dance:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Step dad, come home
Sub sucks, I know

5 out of 5 Implosions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

biznatchio posted:

Yeah more or less. So imagine that, but 277 times more powerful.

In an extremely morbid way it's actually probably one of the few truly "painless" ways to die since death comes so swiftly and completely that your brain and nerves can't even send or receive a pain signal before they've been atomized into fine red mist.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

since death comes so swiftly and completely that your brain and nerves can't even send or receive a pain signal before they've been atomized into fine red mist.

No one knows this for sure.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

William Bear posted:

More info here.

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1671216471274565632

He also claimed that flammable materials were used on the inside of the sub.
Well that is certainly damning.

Lochridge , the guy responsible for safety of crew and clients, objects to constant pressure cycling weakening existing flaws in the 1/3 scale model, asks for non destructive testing to look for flaws and is denied. The viewport only certified to 1,300 meters, he objects and again company didn't want to pay for a design to 4,000m.

He expresses concern, gets fired.

It sounds like the construction process can introduce flaws and the tube would have needed to be tested to see if any flaws were present to safely use the tube in a production vehicle. I assume this would mean several tubes might need to be made which is $$$$$$$ so the CEO invoked his we're doing this for innovation bit and ignored him.

My money is on implosion. If so I wonder if the vehicle might become part of the titanic viewing experience of the future.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Plucky Brit posted:

Carbon fibre hull. loving hell.

People have already made the point of between 0 and 1 atmospheres of pressure (:argh:). Cyclical stress from each dive will make defects more and more likely, and given general standards I doubt they've got any inspection regime. I'm now far more convinced that the submarine imploded.

... Not that it's going to be much better if they're on the surface; submarines are not designed for surface stability, so it's going to be hellish for those inside even in the most calm seas. Given the stress they're under, I doubt that 40 hours is accurate.

No transponder, no automatic ballast detachment, no internal release mechanism, no wired controls. This is great fodder for engineering safety lectures.

I originally thought that failure other than the pressure vessel was more likely because of how much the CEO crowed about how they spent so much money and resources on just that part. Since then, not only have I learned that they did that in stupid ways, but they did SO many things wrong that we likely will have no idea what caused it unless we find the sub.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
What if they are just down there, getting their full 96 hours in??? They paid good money for that trip!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

By popular demand posted:

I feel like these forums have a varied population of people outside of the mainstream sexual norms so I got to ask what does obscenely safe even look like.

Zampano
Jun 23, 2010

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.
If the death sub imploded they wouldn't find anything right? That carbon fibre would have shattered instantly and been carried away by currents I would think.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

the gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

yeah it imploded, lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vim Fuego posted:

the gently caress

Innovation means never having to pay for extras like "safety" and "pressure rated windows"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

GABA ghoul posted:

Has anyone checked if the orcas have an alibi for the time of the disappearance?

Orcas couldn't pull off a heist this deep, they had to call in the pros:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zampano posted:

If the death sub imploded they wouldn't find anything right? That carbon fibre would have shattered instantly and been carried away by currents I would think.

It was mentioned earlier that a plane with sonar was on the way, If its so destroyed..whats going to be detected?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well fed crabs?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
death sub for blue sea

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

dr_rat posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't have knock off karaoke machines. Like you pretty much have to qualify when their a better quality version not when there cheap as hell.

The mic only played this sound when they pressed the button lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax__XbSFQso

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wee posted:

No one knows this for sure.

An explosive decompression at a 4km depth kills everybody on board on a timescale measured in milliseconds. If there is any window in that time for the brain to process pain and for it to be recognized by conscious thought, it is utterly brief.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They might find the cradle if it's close to Titanic. The sub is in small pieces and the people were a nice snack for some crabs.

E: lol

Well fed crabs?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

the gently caress

Move fast and break things

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The airforce has air radar.

Whats the point ?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
i'm going to be quite frank with you guys I can't get enough of this story

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
The cost of the search has undoubtedly eclipsed whatever was spent on groversub

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Well fed crabs?

uber_stoat posted:

we deliver only the finest billionaire flesh straight to you, in our patented delivery canister, because crabs like you deserve it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Semi-serious question; we generally leave underwater grave sites alone. If we find it in the next week, do we still raise it?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Goddamnit I love when rich people die

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Assuming the thing is in one piece, you look inside the porthole with a light. If something moves, yes. If not, I think you leave it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Why did they go with carbon fiber for the pressure vessel? Cost? Weight? Did Elon do it for his space ships?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My wife is very empathetic and takes no pleasure in others suffering but when I explained that a billionaire took a sub full of wealthy people to see the titanic and now they are missing she literally started laughing.

The absurdity of it all just boggles the mind.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Y’know I’m starting to think maybe that sub wasn’t safe

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

My wife is very empathetic and takes no pleasure in others suffering but when I explained that a billionaire took a sub full of wealthy people to see the titanic and now they are missing she literally started laughing.

I too am married to THE DEVIL HERSELF

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the effort is in the "patented launch and recovery platform"

the subs are marketing

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Manic pixie scream girl

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

wilderthanmild posted:

Pretty sure these trips cost in the 6 figure range. I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that rich.

However they are possibly going to die in one of the more mentally terrible ways. In the dark, slowly running out of oxygen with no chance of escape. It's only slightly better than being buried alive in a casket.

From a few similar stories quite often they die of hypothermia before oxygen becomes a factor. Sometimes it is air related though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Why did they go with carbon fiber for the pressure vessel? Cost? Weight? Did Elon do it for his space ships?

Carbon fiber is ~~I N N O V A T I V E~~, duh.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

The dude thought the phrase "areospace hull" sounded cool and didn't understand the "rated between 0 and 1 atmospheres" joke from the undersea episode of futurama.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Fansy posted:

The cost of the search has undoubtedly eclipsed whatever was spent on groversub

One last government subsidy, for the road

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
that guy hosed up using a controller, classic noob mistake, should have stuck with WASD and mouse for more accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Step dad, come home
Sub sucks, I know

Sink 182