Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Spoggerific posted:

Didn't he get out on bail at one point or something? I thought it was over at that point and he was going to escape justice. A pleasant surprise.

He's on house arrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spoggerific posted:

Didn't he get out on bail at one point or something? I thought it was over at that point and he was going to escape justice. A pleasant surprise.

Initially they were being treated as witnesses rather than suspects, but after their arrest they've been in custody continuously.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

The media team for the Tate brothers said: "While this news is undoubtedly predictable, we embrace the opportunity it presents to demonstrate their innocence and vindicate their reputation.”

whatever they are paying their media team, it is too much

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hunter Biden pled guilty to two federal misdemeanor tax charges and a gun charge.

Cue the insufferable chuds. Durr Fuhrer will continue to complain.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

The article above makes a big deal out of this particular sub's ballast being surplus steel pipes or whatever. They obviously fit the requirement of being heavy but I wonder if they did test drops with the sub in odd attitudes, like, I dunno, maybe if it was tangled on a wreck?

I keep saying the dumbest possible things I can think of and these guys keep beating me

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Move fast and break people, disrupt their corporeal paradigms!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

In reality, of course, SpaceX had plenty of NASA rules they had to meet, along with NASA funding (and access to various fancy NASA infrastructure). Dunno about BlueOrigin, but they haven't exactly out stuff in orbit last I checked...

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hunter Biden pled guilty to two federal misdemeanor tax charges and a gun charge.

Cue the insufferable chuds. Durr Fuhrer will continue to complain.

Seems like the correct outcome. It was a chud US Attorney still running the probe and it's all white-collar poo poo except the gun charge, which is weird:

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1671147617512747008?t=GX6USjInFr5oaHD6K7ehFw&s=19

Hunter had good attorneys and the crimes weren't super clear-cut, so everyone involved decided a deal made sense. Long probation and jailtime kicks in if he violates. Donnie could've done the same thing, but MY BOXES

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 20, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The illegal possession I get but while addicted to a controlled substance? What makes that substantially worse than say being addicted to alcohol.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

The illegal possession I get but while addicted to a controlled substance? What makes that substantially worse than say being addicted to alcohol.

Bingo!

Hunter's attorneys were prepared to argue that part of law is unconstitutional. And with current judicial 2nd amendment philosophy, who knows where that argument would've turned up! So feds probably decided "eh" and offered the pretrial diversion to resolve the issue and get the guilty plea.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Milo and POTUS posted:

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person-

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

18 USC 922(g)(3) is the law around that. Interestingly you can be charged under it if you had ammunition, say a 22lr cartridge, and some weed. Probably not going to happen unless the US Attorney was already looking for something to nail you with.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Saul Kain posted:

18 USC 922(g)(3) is the law around that. Interestingly you can be charged under it if you had ammunition, say a 22lr cartridge, and some weed. Probably not going to happen unless the US Attorney was already looking for something to nail you with.

Yeah more info and examples in this thread, it really does seem like a US Attorney's desperation charge:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1671157209735237633?t=CwLCYxBXd0xxHExaLpopAw&s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1671155993802330112?s=20

This is what always got me during the election when Trump and RWM would attack Joe regarding Hunter, his response to having a hosed up son is waaaaay closer to your average family than however the Trump brood interacts

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Bingo!

Hunter's attorneys were prepared to argue that part of law is unconstitutional. And with current judicial 2nd amendment philosophy, who knows where that argument would've turned up! So feds probably decided "eh" and offered the pretrial diversion to resolve the issue and get the guilty plea.

What's interesting is that there have been a few Trump-appointed judges who have ruled that part of the 4473 is unconstitutional, so it would have been doubly intriguing to see Biden's lawyers argue this as well.

It is a bullshit thing that prosecutors will use to tack on charges to people they're really pissed off at, especially in most cases it's for using weed. Ideally this gets struck down in the coming years, especially as marijuana is effectively legal for recreational purposes in half the country and medically legal in almost the entire US.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

What's interesting is that there have been a few Trump-appointed judges who have ruled that part of the 4473 is unconstitutional, so it would have been doubly intriguing to see Biden's lawyers argue this as well.

It is a bullshit thing that prosecutors will use to tack on charges to people they're really pissed off at, especially in most cases it's for using weed. Ideally this gets struck down in the coming years, especially as marijuana is effectively legal for recreational purposes in half the country and medically legal in almost the entire US.
Yeah, but the federal government prefers domestic abusers to marijuana users.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, but the federal government prefers domestic abusers to marijuana users.

Well, yeah, they need the cops.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Didn’t the Trieste or whatever it was called into 1960whatever use an electro magnet so if it lost power it would automatically jettison the ballast?

Seems much safer that way.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If the thing surfaced, did they really not install any sort of ELT or other transponder to say, "Hey, we're here!"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CBJSprague24 posted:

If the thing surfaced, did they really not install any sort of ELT or other transponder to say, "Hey, we're here!"?

Sure sounds that way. It just keeps getting dumber.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

the only ELT on this trip is the Eternally Listing Tube

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CBJSprague24 posted:

i mean how big can an ocean be really

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i mean how big can an ocean be really

And things in the ocean stay in the same place to make them easier to find, right?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

CBJSprague24 posted:

Discussion Quorum posted:

At this point I am waiting to learn there is a $300 PLB from REI inside but it gets no reception inside the pressure vessel and nobody bothered to test that before hand

So far every time I say "hey they probably did something really dumb like <X>" it comes out that they're doing something even dumber than X. So there's your bar.

Anything they take down outside the hull (like an ELT) needs to be rated for 4,000m+ and I do not have high hopes for the guys who drive their sub with a $30 Logitech game pad while sitting on the floor like me and my friends playing Goldeneye in 1997

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oceangateexpeditions.com is gone, oceangate.com is still there for now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The whole thread is gold.

https://twitter.com/BirdTickler/status/1671162515060060161

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
incredible, a boat already so idiotic, dangerous and broken that not even two finger could further damage it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

incredible, a boat already so idiotic, dangerous and broken that not even two finger could further damage it

I wouldn't even get on the thing, christ

Maybe I'd cancel it out and make it work perfectly but I ain't taking that chance

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I keep seeing news sites with "Inside the Sub" infographics but they all show like seating and stuff instead of a bunch of skeletons, this is bullshit

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OddObserver posted:

In reality, of course, SpaceX had plenty of NASA rules they had to meet, along with NASA funding (and access to various fancy NASA infrastructure). Dunno about BlueOrigin, but they haven't exactly out stuff in orbit last I checked...

Blue Origin has to abide by FAA regulations, since they fly passengers.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I keep seeing news sites with "Inside the Sub" infographics but they all show like seating and stuff instead of a bunch of skeletons, this is bullshit

Don't be ridiculous.

It takes more than 48 hours for the corpses to turn into skeletons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

More likely bone dust at that depth

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
you're assuming that a pressure change event didn't just liquify them all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bone slurry then, gently caress

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The passengers are "a fine nutrient paste", to borrow a phrase from the old Kerbal Space Program thread :jeb:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ded posted:

you're assuming that a pressure change event didn't just liquify them all
Very briefly incinerate them as they are being liquified. :science:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The old reverse instant pot

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
chunky marinara left under the tap for too long

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Injuries incompatible with life.

The OSHA thread even found that there's a commercial submersible sold specifically for visiting the Titanic, it's the model used in almost all the documentaries and certified by all the relevant authorities. Supposedly it makes the trip in less than two hours.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sub's been located

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Sub's been located

Gross don’t let him eat that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has anyone reached out to Falcon for comment.