Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

Stelle talks pretty frequently though

if only to herself

stelle is also kind of a non-character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

UHD posted:

trailblazer is an amnesiac so them not having much character makes sense

traveler is an established character with their own opinions and viewpoints, just one we're given precious little information about, which is utterly infuriating when the game expects you to project on them 99% of the time, then you get thrown a "i'm willing to abandon all these new friends i made for my sibling" curveball out of nowhere

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This being...
... the way dialogue choices are

Is truly the most infuriating loving poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UHD posted:

stelle's dialog choices have way more character if only because star rail has yet to fall into

Meowywitch posted:

This being...
... the way dialogue choices are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and really the issue with paimon isnt even her specific dialog, it could be anything, the issue is the pacing of dialog

in most RPGs when you talk to an NPC the conversation goes

player character: hello
npc: im old
player character: can you tell me more about being old?

in genshin the dialog goes

lumine: hello
paimon: hi!
lumine: old?
paimon: he's old!
npc: old
paimon: old?
lumine: can you tell me more about being old?

even in party based games itd usually go

party member 1: old, huh?
player character: can you tell us more about being old?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

stelle's dialog choices have way more character if only because star rail has yet to fall into

there are a few of those in HSR too so they're not entirely above such things

and maybe this makes me a weirdo, but those sorts of dialogue options never bothered me. once I figured out that it didn't matter what I picked for those I just rolled with it. the overly verbose npc dialogue is way more grating to me than do-nothing prompts because at least with those do-nothing prompts I know exactly what the traveler is saying. which i guess is the benefit of the traveler being their own character rather than a blank slate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UHD posted:

there are a few of those in HSR too so they're not entirely above such things

and maybe this makes me a weirdo, but those sorts of dialogue options never bothered me. once I figured out that it didn't matter what I picked for those I just rolled with it. the overly verbose npc dialogue is way more grating to me than do-nothing prompts because at least with those do-nothing prompts I know exactly what the traveler is saying. which i guess is the benefit of the traveler being their own character rather than a blank slate.
the do-nothing prompts are a problem when they're constant and interrupt the flow of dialog, and 90% of the time are just reiterations of what the conversation is about

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm convinced that the fake choices only exist to keep mobile devices active while auto-playing cutscenes.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
genshin is blatantly written in a way that will waste as much of the player's time as possible, all the way down to the pacing of the 'useless but forces you to click something' dialogue choices and long animations. it probably has the most 'disrespectful to the reader' writing i can think of in such an otherwise well-made game/story

"genshin's story is amazing if you hear someone else tell it. it's awful to experience yourself"

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
For all that Genshin does right, I can't imagine anyone coming out of playing Honkai Star Rail thinking that Genshin does dialogue better. It's incomparably improved and not just because of Paimon's absence.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
At the very least, when Genshin wants you to pick one particular choice it doesn't beat you over the head with it but-thou-must-style. If you pick 'wrong,' someone will correct you and give a reason why the other choice was better, and the conversation will proceed.

The worst example of this in history was in Suikoden 1, where a grinning idiot is offering you obviously-drugged tea and telling you to drink it. It goes something like, paraphrased:
GUY: Have some tea.
YOU: Yes [No]
GUY: It's very nice tea.
GUY: Please, just a little of it.
GUY: The tea's still nice and warm.

...and so on until you give in. Conversations in Genshin are on rails, but they're not nearly THAT bad.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Danakir posted:

For all that Genshin does right, I can't imagine anyone coming out of playing Honkai Star Rail thinking that Genshin does dialogue better. It's incomparably improved and not just because of Paimon's absence.

it probably helps star rail doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as genshin does

star rail is probably the best jules verne anime game ever made

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

and really the issue with paimon isnt even her specific dialog, it could be anything, the issue is the pacing of dialog

in most RPGs when you talk to an NPC the conversation goes

player character: can you tell me more about being old?

in genshin the dialog goes

lumine: hello
paimon: hi!
lumine: old?
paimon: he's old!
npc: old
paimon: old?
lumine: can you tell me more about being old?

Yeah but in star rail it's like

npc: hello
trailblazer: you're old
npc: can you help me with a quest?
trailblazer: no

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Araganzar posted:

Yeah but in star rail it's like

npc: hello
trailblazer: you're old
npc: can you help me with a quest?
trailblazer: no

trailblazer: where's my money???
trailblazer: *pompom with a gun emoji*

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I got my Xiangling C4 at long last, which I understand is rather vital to her performance. Continuing to push Pyronado to the moon (currently: lvl 10) is recommended if I'm to find a way to use her, yes?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There's no 5* selector at XXX standard banner pulls in Genshin like there is in Star Rail? Just checking, I don't see it and google doesn't help. I saw someone say how long it took them by comparison but maybe they just meant thats how long it took them to hit 300 pulls at release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah genshin doesnt have that, so that person probably did mean it like that

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Be nice...

...to Paimon!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Traveller posted:

Be nice...

...to Paimon!

No

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

:mad:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Our emergency rations will hush

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Level 10 in TCG achieved. That wasn't very hard to do.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

delfin posted:

Level 10 in TCG achieved. That wasn't very hard to do.

Now get every achievement.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Traveller posted:

Be nice...

...to Paimon!

The Traveler is basically her sock puppet anyway so I don't see how that matters.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Finally started doing the Feast of the Departed Warriors thing and after figuring 6000 was absolutely out of the question I gradually managed to whittle challenge bonuses down to where my Ayaka/Shenhe team with Kokomi healer (in spite of it appearing to have Hydro immunity like they want people to use Baizhu or something since I don't have him) and Ninguang for some crystalize shields and focus bursting it while it was in the air stationary I managed to get the drat Thunder Manifestation at exactly 4000 pts which feels like plenty overkill since I have no real use for these weapon upgrade items right now. If I can match that 4000 point total across all 4 of the fights I'll be satisfied.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've retooled Bennett and Xiang a bit, and Xiangling - Bennett - Xingqiu - Barbara is at least letting me see occasional individual ticks of Pyronado over 10k now. So that's a good start, even if the team is rather fragile due to Bennett having to spend a lot of time on the field.

How to do it without a healer (Bennett is not a real healer) would be another story.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Bennett is a real healer. Now Xingqiu, Xingqiu is not a real healer.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

delfin posted:

I've retooled Bennett and Xiang a bit, and Xiangling - Bennett - Xingqiu - Barbara is at least letting me see occasional individual ticks of Pyronado over 10k now. So that's a good start, even if the team is rather fragile due to Bennett having to spend a lot of time on the field.

How to do it without a healer (Bennett is not a real healer) would be another story.

What? Bennett is the most broken healer in the game.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I actually had to go and look to find where Xingqiu does ANY healing.

Bennett heals only the on-field person, and only up to 70%. I'm testing my team out on fungalchicken and having about a 2/3 success rate at beating it without using food and without anyone dying. Barbara gives a team heal, an on-field heal aura that isn't stationary damage ticks from Clam, damage boosts from Thrilling Tales when ordered correctly, and hydro resonance with Xingqiu for extra team HP; I know that Sucrose is who people say should be in the #4 slot but I can't find any use for her that beats that.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

delfin posted:

I actually had to go and look to find where Xingqiu does ANY healing.

Bennett heals only the on-field person, and only up to 70%. I'm testing my team out on fungalchicken and having about a 2/3 success rate at beating it without using food and without anyone dying. Barbara gives a team heal, an on-field heal aura that isn't stationary damage ticks from Clam, damage boosts from Thrilling Tales when ordered correctly, and hydro resonance with Xingqiu for extra team HP; I know that Sucrose is who people say should be in the #4 slot but I can't find any use for her that beats that.

My Bennett heals for 4200 per second to the on-field character. And his Burst has 80% uptime with appropriate ER.

Kokomi squid ticks for 4700, but that's only every 2 seconds. 100% uptime easily achieved with enough ER and/or Sac Frags.

And Barbara's skill only ticks every 5 seconds for maybe 5k with a balanced build. And the uptime is nominally 50%.

The healing output isn't even close.

It's not even a huge deal that Bennett only heals the on-field character. By the time I use their skill/burst and am ready to swap out, they're up to 70% even if they entered nearly dead.

Edit:

As evidence, here's Bennett healing the poo poo out of the current event where I take massive damage because I dodge like a boomer.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 21, 2023

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Peanut3141 posted:

My Bennett heals for 4200 per second to the on-field character. And his Burst has 80% uptime with appropriate ER.

Kokomi squid ticks for 4700, but that's only every 2 seconds. 100% uptime easily achieved with enough ER and/or Sac Frags.

And Barbara's skill only ticks every 5 seconds for maybe 5k with a balanced build. And the uptime is nominally 50%.

The healing output isn't even close.

It's not even a huge deal that Bennett only heals the on-field character. By the time I use their skill/burst and am ready to swap out, they're up to 70% even if they entered nearly dead.
Barbara also does zero damage, and the self-applied hydro is a liability in some situations. Kokomi does nonzero damage even if you don't burst with her. If you can just rely on Bennett burst ticks (and maybe XQ chip healing but it's not much), then you can put another DPS in there, either someone like Sucrose who can apply VV and Thrilling Tales, or someone like Chongyun or Raiden who adds another layer of reactions to the team.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Barbara also does zero damage, and the self-applied hydro is a liability in some situations. Kokomi does nonzero damage even if you don't burst with her. If you can just rely on Bennett burst ticks (and maybe XQ chip healing but it's not much), then you can put another DPS in there, either someone like Sucrose who can apply VV and Thrilling Tales, or someone like Chongyun or Raiden who adds another layer of reactions to the team.

Also, Bennett's attack buff snapshotted onto Pyronado is like having another dps in itself. I only hesitate to call him the most broken character in the game because Xingqiu exists.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Legit might actually have to make a point of visiting Inazuma and Watatsumi in particular to keep building some of my characters like Kirara, Wanderer and Shinobu. You can just never have quite enough handguards, spectral items it seems. I just got Yoimiya last banner too so I need lots of Naku weed too. :stonk:

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 21, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

delfin posted:

...and so on until you give in. Conversations in Genshin are on rails, but they're not nearly THAT bad.

I'd argue they're worse. Like your But Thou Must example is a bad trope that continues to exist, but at least it's technically interactive! Aside from a few very rare trivial options (Do you want to cook Mora Meat or Steak for this daily?) your input is meaningless. A lot of the time they don't even bother to put in real responses - just your character's singular train of thought with each half pasted into one of the boxes. That's just one of many aspects that makes the story content the worst.

I dread the Fontaine release because I know there's like 20 hours of mashing in my future.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my barbara does damage

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Her new voice does damage.... To my ears

Yeah I know the voice change isn't remotely new anymore but it still sucks butt

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

Her new voice does damage.... To my ears

Yeah I know the voice change isn't remotely new anymore but it still sucks butt

I have only forgotten to put it into the feedback section of the surveys once.

Along with the ability to assign artifacts in sets.

:sigh:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i remember barbara's VA getting heat on twitter for that change as if she had anything to do with the decision to rework the character's voice lines.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

UHD posted:

i remember barbara's VA getting heat on twitter for that change as if she had anything to do with the decision to rework the character's voice lines.
Someone was rude on twitter three years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
VA harassment is perennial in this community, tbf.