Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Platystemon posted:

Crime is legal if it is unprofitable, many people are saying.

He's not actually saying it was unprofitable either, just that it sounds like the sort of thing that probably wouldn't make all that much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
It’s so great and not at all infuriating that a big podcaster and a presidential candidate are complacent in the harassment of a random doctor. Some dumbass antivaxxers can “just ask questions” all they want, but God forbid they get any pushback.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Who would you rather take health advice from?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron von Eevl posted:

He's not actually saying it was unprofitable either, just that it sounds like the sort of thing that probably wouldn't make all that much money.

Now that you mention it, none of the supposed legal ventures that the Tate Bros. are involved in sound like they would make all that much money.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1670920974240460800

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

(more in thread)
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1671255127326588928

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the health advice involves not having all my hair fall out I'm going with the beardy guy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vibrating litter scoop is an idea to bold for this man

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Now that you mention it, none of the supposed legal ventures that the Tate Bros. are involved in sound like they would make all that much money.

Yeah if you look at any of the many interviews where Tate basically admitted to running a human trafficking ring he quit the cam girl business because it wasn't profitable enough but then started selling expensive classes on how to start a human trafficking ring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I see the hot new trend is "when arraigned for crimes, immediately take to social media to brag about them and do as many interviews defending yourself as possible"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

If the health advice involves not having all my hair fall out I'm going with the beardy guy.

As a bald guy, a cordial gently caress you.

But also: longtime steroid users are well known for their excellent general health.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Vibrating litter scoop is an idea to bold for this man

And that’s by far the least bad one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fella on the left looks like a human being so I will take him for health guru

e: gently caress Im late but I stand by my decision

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Jun 20, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:smug: "Excuse me, calling someone "bald" is a slur. Your rules, not mine, leftists"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some of my best friends are bald

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Say what you will "I'm a horrible terrible person and even I have a stronger sense of compassion than that" is a pretty intense burn.

Like someone being a piece of poo poo and insulting you, whatever, easy to brush that off. Vince McMahon says you're an rear end in a top hat, poo poo take that as a compliment. Someone who is a piece of poo poo acknowledging that they're a piece of poo poo but just not quite as lovely as you, that's some go into witness protection level shame.

I'm not happy about a 6 billionaires dying in a submarine that was clearly shoddily built and they should have expected to die in it, but I'm not sad.

Fake edit: I actually am happy about it. Not just because I hate billionaires, but that was a dumb loving thing to go down there in. James Cameron went down there 30 years ago and I guarantee it was in something much, much better built.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm bald as poo poo. Gotta get one of those Pat Finnerty hats.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm not happy about a 6 billionaires dying in a submarine that was clearly shoddily built and they should have expected to die in it, but I'm not sad.

Fake edit: I actually am happy about it. Not just because I hate billionaires, but that was a dumb loving thing to go down there in. James Cameron went down there 30 years ago and I guarantee it was in something much, much better built.

Cameron loves to Nerd out on the tech, and gets all up in the design process for the subs he has made for him.
These guys wanted to buy a ticket to go see the titanic, and apparently the company offering tours is some cut corner slapdash operation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Air Skwirl posted:

I’m sad about the 18-year-old kid on there because his brain isn’t finished baking and his dad convinced him to take a 3-hour cruise.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I'm reading that the sub is bolted shut from the outside and literally incapable of opening from the inside. Only a team on the surface can do it. Also it was never equipped with a tracker or beacon of any kind. Lastly, it appears it does not have an emergency pressure-independent way of loosing ballast (i.e. if it sinks too low or suffers electrical failure it will be unable to jettison ballast and rise automatically). These things were previously known and never addressed.
So, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
wait a minute, I know a billionaire with extreme submarine rescue experience

all it will need is memes and a subscription service

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Apparently it looks like this lmao

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
It failed its rating test for 4k meters, let alone 6k. It used literally discarded rusty pipes as ballast, held on a shelf on the outside, and passengers would lean the craft to one side to release ballast.

Also:

quote:

...the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

And it was made of carbon fiber, the most unequivocally efficient and structurally sound under nearly 6000 psi of pressure (this is sarcasm).

Riot Carol Danvers has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Jun 21, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thoughts and prayers

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

They are a meat slurry now

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

If they're lucky they're somehow on the surface and will be found in a timely manner
If they're less lucky, they were crushed instantly by some kind of malfunction
If they're really unlucky they'll be entombed in there until oxygen runs out

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kit Walker posted:

If they're lucky they're somehow on the surface and will be found in a timely manner
If they're less lucky, they were crushed instantly by some kind of malfunction
If they're really unlucky they'll be entombed in there until oxygen runs out

They have to be massively lucky for 1 because they need someone who knows how to open the door to get there fast enough for air to not run out. Like 1 can still end in 3 if they can't get the drat thing open

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

They are a meat slurry now

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

They have air through Thursday afternoon. But the Navy or Coast Guard (can't remember which) already said if they were on the surface they'd have found them. The Navy was using P-8s to search for them.

They are sea paste.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The sub was not fit to come within 1.678 miles of it's intended destination

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It failed its rating test for 4k meters, let alone 6k. It used literally discarded rusty pipes as ballast, held on a shelf on the outside, and passengers would lean the craft to one side to release ballast.

Yowza, any source you’d recommend to read more about the sub?
Trying not to gloat too much about billionaires being fish food, but also this episode has me totally fascinated about how this thing is built, and most everything I find is just repeating the same four talking points from the builders website.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also:

And it was made of carbon fiber, the most unequivocally efficient and structurally sound under nearly 6000 psi of pressure (this is sarcasm).

Lmfao what the gently caress

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PuntCuncher posted:

Trying not to gloat too much about billionaires being fish food, but also this episode has me totally fascinated about how this thing is built, and most everything I find is just repeating the same four talking points from the builders website.

there's a bit towards the end of this article

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I can't find it but there's an illustration where the toilet is just someone going to a tiny other compartment that is hardly private and the "toilet" is a black box with a plastic jug inside

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

PuntCuncher posted:

Here's one:

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

https://twitter.com/birdtickler/status/1671104962657492994?s=21&t=C91fP8uYEtv0I801M2JL6g

https://twitter.com/birdtickler/status/1671152280475926530?s=21&t=C91fP8uYEtv0I801M2JL6g

(Trin aka Birdtickler has been researching for days - I guess her grandad made history with the deepest sub rescue ever attempted, so an interest in that kind of thing runs in the family I guess. She's doing a deep dive on it so we don't have to)

Riot Carol Danvers has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Jun 21, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I can't find it but there's an illustration where the toilet is just someone going to a tiny other compartment that is hardly private and the "toilet" is a black box with a plastic jug inside

You can see it in this clip:
https://twitter.com/heymochablonde/status/1671081993705263106

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65957709

BBC posted:

And in his own words, some of the ballast is "abandoned construction pipes, that are sitting on shelves on the side of the thing, and the way you detach the ballast is, you get everybody on board to lean to one side of the sub and they roll off."

https://www.insider.com/missing-titanic-sub-ceo-told-reporter-safety-pure-waste-2023-6?amp

That Article posted:

In a November 2022 episode of CBS journalist David Pogue's "Unsung Science" podcast, Rush discussed the Titan sub's mechanics and build.

He said there was a "limit" to safety, telling Pogue: "You know, at some point, safety is just pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don't get out of bed, don't get in your car, don't do anything. At some point, you're going to take some risk, and it really is a risk-reward question." 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

That's like the sub from that game where you're lost in the blood ocean that Markiplier's making a movie about, where being put in the sub is a literal death sentence.