Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Light Gun Man posted:

does anyone make an accessory that just gives you on-demand degauss button action for non CRTs? I miss pressing those.

I remember my boss or his boss was in a “BillG” review in like 1996 or so. Like where a team shows him the status of a project under development

The AV setup was hosed in the conference room and people were scrambling trying to unfuck it and Bill dryly says, “Did you try the degauss button?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a little surprised there isn't a degauss simulator on itchio or something.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hassler posted:

I remember my boss or his boss was in a “BillG” review in like 1996 or so. Like where a team shows him the status of a project under development

The AV setup was hosed in the conference room and people were scrambling trying to unfuck it and Bill dryly says, “Did you try the degauss button?”

that's rad

doctorfrog posted:

I'm a little surprised there isn't a degauss simulator on itchio or something.

right??

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I think this is the one I used, but the actual download doesn't seem to be archived. :( https://web.archive.org/web/20211004120230/http://spinalcode.co.uk/2020/05/18/monitor-menu/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbixh9Y2o8

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Having just denounced keyboard people, I will cop to buying a switch from an old Mac keyboard off ebay. I needed it to replace a switch in my old Mac keyboard. This might make me scum and I'll just have to live with it.

No, I think this is completely fine.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have a "weird keyboard" friend and she built hers from the ground up. Loves it. 3d printed customized to her hands. It's pretty awesome even if me trying to use it would go bad. No wasting old cool hardware. Me? I buy the cheapest Logitech wireless and use it til it dies. I even keep a spare on hand.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I found https://github.com/archagon/degausser but couldn't get it to work

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

You just gave your computer 'shrooms. I miss the part where you could degauss with your hand on the glass and find the nearest victim to send a nice bit of static shock to. Had a whole 5th grade computer class devolve into everyone* attacking each other with our super static powers.

*all the boys, we were monsters

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The MacOS security things have gotten a lot stricter in the last 6 years since that program was made, so it would probably need some rewriting.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

lobsterminator posted:

The MacOS security things have gotten a lot stricter in the last 6 years since that program was made, so it would probably need some rewriting.

This post, plus that image, plus being half-asleep I almost thought they’d started using Langford Basilisks to deter piracy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I have a "weird keyboard" friend and she built hers from the ground up. Loves it. 3d printed customized to her hands. It's pretty awesome even if me trying to use it would go bad. No wasting old cool hardware. Me? I buy the cheapest Logitech wireless and use it til it dies. I even keep a spare on hand.

:hfive:

Although, in my defense, the ones I get are able to pair to 3 devices, either over dongle or Bluetooth, allowing me to switch between a personal machine and my work laptop without needing a full KVM or duplicating devices. Same with my mice.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

What's a good PS./2 -> USB adapter these days? I have a Model M I haven't used in a years because it kept killing the adapters. I eventually got a Unicomp instead but it poo poo the bed and needs to be bolt modded and I don't feel like doing it.

IIRC old Model Ms exceed the specs of standard USB HID device current and that's why they kill adapters. My main PC has a PS/2 port so I connect my Model M directly.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I just looked and... my motherboard has PS/2 ports. :doh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

lmao

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Dip Viscous posted:

I just looked and... my motherboard has PS/2 ports. :doh:

It’s surprising how many motherboards still have them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think nearly any motherboard that isn't some mini itx niche thing is going to have at least one PS/2 port.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Woolie Wool posted:

IIRC old Model Ms exceed the specs of standard USB HID device current and that's why they kill adapters. My main PC has a PS/2 port so I connect my Model M directly.

The issue with the Model M's seem to be that they use more power than most passive adapters seem to accommodate, so they need active adapters instead of passive ones. I have a couple of the blue cube style ones that were popular and they work great but don't seem to be made any more. I've found some folks saying these work but I haven't tried them myself:
https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-PS2-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS

Of course I say that and according to amazon I bought one in 2012. It might be on my cop car TG3 keyboard that has PS/2 mouse and keyboard. If anyone wants I can try it with some 80s Model Ms and check if it handles them well.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lobsterminator posted:

It's a filter on top of an NSWindow, so it doesn't touch the core system

The bigger issue is that it uses OpenGL, and that's been deprecated for years in macOS. For it to work, it would need to be ported to Metal.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder if that's why my one K6-2 system won't boot with the Model M. I was having the damndest time getting it to work reliably and went through so much troubleshooting before I tried a different keyboard and it was fine. That would explain so much. I mean, it's PS/2, just if it acts differently than other PS/2 keyboards.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That would be very strange considering that the PS/2 standard was designed for the Model M.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Killer robot posted:

I wonder if that's why my one K6-2 system won't boot with the Model M. I was having the damndest time getting it to work reliably and went through so much troubleshooting before I tried a different keyboard and it was fine. That would explain so much. I mean, it's PS/2, just if it acts differently than other PS/2 keyboards.

IDK, I used an M witha K6-2 system just fine for years.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Could be a weak cap or something on that individual board itself.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Yeah that sounds like something around the socket is not up to spec. I assume it's an AT board unless you're lucky enough to have an ATX socket 7 system.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Could be a weak cap or something on that individual board itself.

That's what I'm thinking. I have another system of the same era that boots fine with it. The individual board just having trouble with an old keyboard with higher draw fits, especially as I look things up on the issue.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

c0burn posted:

Yeah that sounds like something around the socket is not up to spec. I assume it's an AT board unless you're lucky enough to have an ATX socket 7 system.

It's ATX. I've gotten three Super Socket 7 boards, two ATX and one AT. The AT one happened to have PS/2 mouse and USB headers on the board but with non-standard outs I had to connect with individual jumper wires. But if it works it works. But the one that doesn't like the Model M is just one of the ATX boards.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

This might help with modern motherboard incompatibilities: https://www.ardent-tool.com/keyboard/Model_M_Mods.html

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have one of these, a Socrates Educational Video System:

https://youtu.be/ZDgK-RfNjr0

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to connect it to a modern TV? It’s got an RF Out port and what looks like an RF cable, and the manual says it connects to a VHF port on the back of a television. Are there adapters out there for this kind of thing?

Thanks!

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I had one of those as a kid.

It plugs into the 75ohm coax port on analog tv, like you would use to hook up a NES. Tune it to channel 3 or 4. I think there was a switch on the console.

So I think you can use one those boxes they sold in the 00s during the transition to digital broadcasts if your TV has composite input. They were given away for free by the government so I hope there are some out there remaining.

The above wont work. It’s the opposite of what you need. You need an “analog to digital”

My Socrates had the voice module and three carts. It also used a lot of batteries—6 D cells for the console and like 4AA for the keyboard. The keyboard is IR and it has really lovely buttons and I believe it’s not even QWERTY

mlnhd has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 20, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Alternatively, you may be able to use an old VHS as a converter, if you have or can get hold of one? I think RF in and slightly more modern formats out was a reasonably common feature.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Alternatively, you may be able to use an old VHS as a converter, if you have or can get hold of one? I think RF in and slightly more modern formats out was a reasonably common feature.

Yes this will work. They were designed to capture analog tv broadcasts which is exactly what this things transmits

mlnhd has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jun 20, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you hook up an NES to one TV and then connect the antenna to another TV's antenna it will display on both if the channels are correct. I doubt this helps at all but I just got a giant wave of nostalgia.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mlnhd posted:

I had one of those as a kid.

It plugs into the 75ohm coax port on analog tv, like you would use to hook up a NES. Tune it to channel 3 or 4. I think there was a switch on the console.

So I think you can use one those boxes they sold in the 00s during the transition to digital broadcasts if your TV has composite input. They were given away for free by the government so I hope there are some out there remaining.

The above wont work. It’s the opposite of what you need. You need an “analog to digital”

My Socrates had the voice module and three carts. It also used a lot of batteries—6 D cells for the console and like 4AA for the keyboard. The keyboard is IR and it has really lovely buttons and I believe it’s not even QWERTY

Luckily I have a wall socket adapter for the main console.

So my friend tells me he has a “2021 Samsung TV” (he isn’t able to provide more info yet), if it has an Antenna In port I can’t just hook the RF cable directly to it, can I?

I’ve got an Atari 2600 hooked up to my current TV but I can’t remember exactly how I did it or if I needed an adapter, but I know I have to set my TV to channel 3 to use it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Xenomrph posted:

So my friend tells me he has a “2021 Samsung TV” (he isn’t able to provide more info yet), if it has an Antenna In port I can’t just hook the RF cable directly to it, can I?

Unfortunately not, any tv made after the digital switchover won't be able to read that signal, but it might have composite inputs, and you can convert RF to that very easily

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My last TV, some kind of Vizio, didn't have anything labeled as a composite input, but if you put a composite signal through one of the component inputs it'd figure out what you were trying to do and work. No idea if this is a common feature.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

flavor.flv posted:

Unfortunately not, any tv made after the digital switchover won't be able to read that signal, but it might have composite inputs, and you can convert RF to that very easily

Could you point me in the direction of what kind of RF-to-composite adapter I'd need? I've been poking around on Amazon and maybe I'm searching for the wrong keywords but I'm not coming up with much other than demodulators which I think do the opposite of what I want and let you play new stuff on old tube TVs.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Could you point me in the direction of what kind of RF-to-composite adapter I'd need? I've been poking around on Amazon and maybe I'm searching for the wrong keywords but I'm not coming up with much other than demodulators which I think do the opposite of what I want and let you play new stuff on old tube TVs.

https://silversoulgaming.com/2020/08/28/prestons-tech-tips-how-to-connect-your-rf-game-system-to-a-composite-input/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

EDIT: wrong lol

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jun 21, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That artifact is imbued with the power of infinite nostalgia, particularly as mine disappeared sometime between, you know, 1996 and today. If I am being charitable I got rid of it when televisions no longer had a way to hook that up to it anyway and I figured if I ever fired up my Atari 800XL again it would surely be using some other method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

That artifact is imbued with the power of infinite nostalgia, particularly as mine disappeared sometime between, you know, 1996 and today. If I am being charitable I got rid of it when televisions no longer had a way to hook that up to it anyway and I figured if I ever fired up my Atari 800XL again it would surely be using some other method

I went on a search for one with another Goon before I was a Goon and we ended up in a Radio Shack in a dying mall and the guy called it a "magic adapter" and sold it to her for $0.37 total.