Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Bad Purchase posted:

you sure INS doesn't tell you depth? do they make special ones for ocean use that aren't 3-axis? i'm a bit familiar with their use in aviation (not super versed, i've worked on software that collects that data stream from a GPS/IMU, but don't really know all the math that goes into combining them into a final result), but i know it worked in all 3 axes.

or do you just mean they would ignore the INS depth reading in oceanic use and rely on pressure instead? i could see how converting pressure to depth would be more accurate in the long run, since the IMU accumulates error from the moment you start using it. while whatever error there is in pressure to depth conversion would stay about the same the whole time.

I mean in theory INS could, but no one does because of the error accumulation with INS systems. It's far safer and more accurate to use a pressure based depth sensor. Keep in mind a RLGN system can drift 3000 yards with 30hrs of removing the GPS fix and still be "in spec" for most navies. In depth terms that's way past crush depth errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
drat this thread moves fast, just caught up with 600 posts overnight.
Many LOLs were had. The highlights definitely include:

- The ballast you have to move by sitting on one side of the sub
- The port hole next to the piss bottle toilet covered by a curtain
- Celine Dion Spotify playlist
- The Blink 182 concert :lol:
- the sub being built to the highest carbon fiber aerospace standards.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Commander Jebus posted:

I mean in theory INS could, but no one does because of the error accumulation with INS systems. It's far safer and more accurate to use a pressure based depth sensor. Keep in mind a RLGN system can drift 3000 yards with 30hrs of removing the GPS fix and still be "in spec" for most navies. In depth terms that's way past crush depth errors.

yeah, that makes more sense, thanks

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

fair. but maybe imploded then exploded?

(because the air autoignited because it went from 1 to 400 atmospheres in under 100ms)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Have to be drinking piss at this point

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The implosion caused the rapidly collapsing mist of passenger to act similarly to a diesel cylinder, igniting the remaining air, thus causing an explosion!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think we need to send more billionaires down in a shoddily built tube to test these implosion/explosion theories.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So apparently the stepson at the Blink 182 concert is a crazy nutjob who threatened to shoot up a concert
https://web.archive.org/web/2021070...logy-show-read/

Every rich is a dumbass moron and every rich kid is a psychopath. Shame on our society that we don't talk about this as we just praise their magical one weird trick to billions in wealth.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ProperCoochie posted:

Every rich is a dumbass moron and every rich kid is a psychopath. Shame on our society that we don't talk about this as we just praise their magical one weird trick to billions in wealth.

actually he was suffering from affluenza, and we should offer our support and understanding

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Perhaps they should just ask Crash Corrigan and his pals for help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIoWxb844M

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ProperCoochie posted:

Every rich is a dumbass moron and every rich kid is a psychopath.

I turned out fine.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nowher posted:

- the sub being built to the highest carbon fiber aerospace standards.

Well to be fair, the ocean is on the Earth, which is in space.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

imagine having your own submarine but you don't even use it to sabotage the world's busiest oil pipelines constantly, like do you even care about the climate a little bit?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

If this thing did catastrophically fail, aren't they pretty much searching for a sedan-sized piece of flattened scrap metal at the bottom of the ocean, meaning there's almost zero chance of, or reason to spend effort on, finding it?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The guy who made the sub is basically the exact same idiot as that guy who blew himself up with a homemade rocket trying to prove the earth was flat but this one managed to charge two billionaires to join him

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Hazo posted:

If this thing did catastrophically fail, aren't they pretty much searching for a sedan-sized piece of flattened scrap metal at the bottom of the ocean, meaning there's almost zero chance of, or reason to spend effort on, finding it?

Closer to shards of im/exploded carbon fiber, so even lower odds of finding it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hazo posted:

Pretty sure the pressure wave would turn the carbon fiber into like a gazillion pieces. As I understand it, the carbon fiber aspect of carbon fiber is just a binding material for the actual structure which is resin, so pretty brittle, I would think the pressure wave would just turn the resin into dust instantly, ripping the carbon fiber into a billion pieces in the process.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thank you. That was bugging me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hazo posted:

It's worse: the dipshit CEO decided to make the sub out of carbon fibers because NASA but not only is this apparently a miserable material for high pressure environments, when it does fail to pressure it does so quickly, catastrophically, and shatters rather than bending or cracking. So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

big nipples big life posted:

I think we need to send more billionaires down in a shoddily built tube to test these implosion/explosion theories.

It’s the only way to be sure

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Say what you will about Troy Hurtubise, but had he been wearing his bear-proof suit when he crashed his car into a gasoline truck causing an explosion, it would have at least been a lot more awesome.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kalleth posted:

[*] Never did a "test depth" dive to anywhere deeper than the titanic, not once

It's an interesting video but I don't get where he gets this idea from. It did extensive tests to that depth and they took it crewed to titanic depth during testing. It has also done numerous paid dives prior to this. This is their third year.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Congrats on winning capitalism, you'r prize is inside this carbon tube you just need to climb in to claim it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

At first I felt bad for the crew. Then I learned that the crew was the CEO of the company and then I could completely enjoy their demise with no lingering shame.

The biggest failure of this submarine is that if it had lasted a few more trips they might have been able to get Elon Musk on it.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I need a video of the billionaire sub lowering into the water while the my heart will go on recorder version plays in the background

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It's an interesting video but I don't get where he gets this idea from. It did extensive tests to that depth and they took it crewed to titanic depth during testing. It has also done numerous paid dives prior to this. This is their third year.

He said to anywhere deeper than the titanic. The titanic is as deep as the titanic.

I'm not an ocean man though so I'm not sure how needed that level of testing would be.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pressure bearing aluminum struts

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I love that this sub had Rube Goldberg powered ballast release system

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

At first I felt bad for the crew. Then I learned that the crew was the CEO of the company and then I could completely enjoy their demise with no lingering shame.

Wikipedia posted:

Hamish Harding (born 24 June 1964) is a UAE-based British businessman, pilot, explorer, and space tourist. He is the founder of Action Group and chairman of Action Aviation, an international aircraft brokerage company with headquarters in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

In 2017, Harding worked with Antarctic VIP tourism company, White Desert, to introduce the first regular business jet service to the Antarctic using a Gulfstream G550, landing on Wolfs Fang Runway, an ice runway.

On 9–11 July 2019, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing, Harding, along with Terry Virts, led a team of aviators that took the Guinness World Record for circumnavigation of the Earth via North and South Poles in a Gulfstream G650ER in 46 hours 40 minutes.

Seriously, gently caress THIS DUDE.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rube Goldberg lol

Fire up the experimental rube-musk drive

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

3600 m deeper than certified depth for the windows. Not great not terrible

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Man, what a way to go. Dying while huffing rich people farts in a metal pringles can at the bottom of the ocean. The part that gets me is that when you’re that deep and isolated, if anything whatsoever goes wrong, you’re hosed. It’s not like a rescue vehicle can just show up.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Basically put a single cooked grain of rice on the tip of a diarrhea firehose....that's what happened to these dudes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Three Olives posted:

Seriously, gently caress THIS DUDE.

it's weirdly difficult to find all that much about action group other than their (flagship) aviation division

it's practically impossible to find anything about the late Hamish Harding except his adventure and airplane stuff he advertised loving everywhere

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Karma Comedian posted:

I need a video of the billionaire sub lowering into the water while the my heart will go on recorder version plays in the background
Works only on desktops
https://tubedubber.com/?q=qHsDIFZMZiQ:X2WH8mHJnhM:0:100:23:19:1

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 21, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Further Reading posted:

He said to anywhere deeper than the titanic. The titanic is as deep as the titanic.

I'm not an ocean man though so I'm not sure how needed that level of testing would be.

It is not sensible to send your submersible past the depth to which it is pressure rated, otherwise they implode.

The company is hilarious incompetent and borderline criminal in it's disregard for safety, but they tested that thing to a reasonable depth. Certainly didn't test it enough or do anywhere near enough "basic safety" before they brought paying customers on board though.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

don't worry guys im on my way to rescue you with my own sub :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

PenguinKnight posted:

don't worry guys im on my way to rescue you with my own sub :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

does this thing have any way to stay upright if it dumps its ballast, or are they potentially on the surface tumbling over each other continuously in a giant rock polisher