Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I guess not all billionaires get a bail out.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

PenguinKnight posted:

don't worry guys im on my way to rescue you with my own sub :)

Is that phthalate-free?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Spoiler they're all loving dead. Spoiler number two the tin can has been crushed.

Spoiler number 3 Grover was probably the head engineer on this one

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's weirdly difficult to find all that much about action group other than their (flagship) aviation division

it's practically impossible to find anything about the late Hamish Harding except his adventure and airplane stuff he advertised loving everywhere

Let me help you, people don't move their businesses to the U.E.A., particularly things like private jet brokerages to do good and legal things, that's why you can't find much stuff.

quote:

Action Group owns the property development company, Action Property Group established 2006, which invests in and develops luxury properties. An example of its work was a luxury duplex penthouse with spectacular views of Lords Cricket Ground in London which was created from an empty shell property.

London luxury property development via U.E.A, also a thing where you are definitely doing some shady as hell poo poo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

groverhaus is still standing to this day

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cat botherer posted:

Is that phthalate-free?

It’s phthalate-free but not phallux-free

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Further Reading posted:

He said to anywhere deeper than the titanic. The titanic is as deep as the titanic.

I'm not an ocean man though so I'm not sure how needed that level of testing would be.

Probably unrelated for science reasons I’m not smart enough to understand, but paintball air tanks (the little ones that attach to the gun and you run around with) are made from wrapped carbon fiber like the groversub, and charge up to 4500psi very safely. If the pressure vessel on those bottles were to fail at full pressure, it would explode and kill anyone nearby.

Because of this, my understanding is that safety standards require, when these 4500psi-rated bottles are manufactured, each bottle has to be pressurised to triple the rated pressure (so in this case, 13,500psi) and show no signs of defect afterwards (and also not explode) before it can be sold to a customer.

Every bottle has an inspection plate on it, and every so often (I can’t remember now but I think it’s every couple of years) has to be retested, again at triple the rated pressure, before you are allowed to keep using it. If it shows signs of weakness (or explodes) during that re-test, you go buy another one.

I believe the logic here is that if the pressure vessel can survive 3x rated pressure in optimal testing conditions without damage, then it can survive a couple of years of some idiot goon (me) running around a field with it at 4500psi.

I think it’s important that the groversub be tested at depths much deeper than the titanic for the same reason. If you only test it to titanic depths, then you can’t really know for sure whether it’s completely safe at that depth or whether that’s right on the limit of what it’s capable of.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

It is not sensible to send your submersible past the depth to which it is pressure rated, otherwise they implode.

The company is hilarious incompetent and borderline criminal in it's disregard for safety, but they tested that thing to a reasonable depth. Certainly didn't test it enough or do anywhere near enough "basic safety" before they brought paying customers on board though.

You generally want to "test" things to a load factor higher than you will be regularly stressing them, to give you a safety factor for things like nicks, dings, wear caused by cyclical loading, etc.

Nobody should be designing a sub that regularly dives to 4000m so that it will *implode when it hits 4001m.

For a sub, they should have test dove it to *deeper* than their regular depth floor, to prove that safety factor. Otherwise you're deep into "well it worked last time so that means it will work this time!" territory.

kalleth fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 21, 2023

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sydin posted:

So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.

That shouldn't be too difficult. It's not as if all those bits and bobs would be falling into an existing debris field spanning 15ish square miles.

EDIT: Oh whoops

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Someone get Dirk Pitt on the case!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Probably unrelated for science reasons I’m not smart enough to understand, but paintball air tanks (the little ones that attach to the gun and you run around with) are made from wrapped carbon fiber like the groversub, and charge up to 4500psi very safely. If the pressure vessel on those bottles were to fail at full pressure, it would explode and kill anyone nearby.

Because of this, my understanding is that safety standards require, when these 4500psi-rated bottles are manufactured, each bottle has to be pressurised to triple the rated pressure (so in this case, 13,500psi) and show no signs of defect afterwards (and also not explode) before it can be sold to a customer.

Every bottle has an inspection plate on it, and every so often (I can’t remember now but I think it’s every couple of years) has to be retested, again at triple the rated pressure, before you are allowed to keep using it. If it shows signs of weakness (or explodes) during that re-test, you go buy another one.

I believe the logic here is that if the pressure vessel can survive 3x rated pressure in optimal testing conditions without damage, then it can survive a couple of years of some idiot goon (me) running around a field with it at 4500psi.

I think it’s important that the groversub be tested at depths much deeper than the titanic for the same reason. If you only test it to titanic depths, then you can’t really know for sure whether it’s completely safe at that depth or whether that’s right on the limit of what it’s capable of.

Paintball air tanks also have safety valves that vent the gas when it reaches a certain overpressure point

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I guess not all billionaires get a bail out.

Some get a blow out!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

in addition to testing at 3x the pressure, they should've tested with 3x as many billionaires on board before offering service to individual billionaires

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Paintball air tanks also have safety valves that vent the gas when it reaches a certain overpressure point

That’s true, but won’t save you from a catastrophic failure of the bottle itself (which I admit is, by design, virtually impossible to have happen under normal or even somewhat-moronic operation.)

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I just found out there were two billionaires on board?! :toot:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I think I saw in a news clip some retired admiral saying that the US Navy's recovery robots only go to something like 2000m and this thing is at around 3800m. So yeah, even if they find them, they won't be able to bring it/them to the surface (assuming they're intact) without attaching some sort of external ballast balloons or some other goofy poo poo. They're dead but hey, if rich people wanna be the first to do extreme touristy things like this, they can be my guest.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Same with scuba tanks. They're regularly tested to 1.5x~ their rated pressure and shops will only fill tanks with a valid and in date test.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MoonshineWilly posted:

Man, what a way to go. Dying while huffing rich people farts in a metal pringles can at the bottom of the ocean. The part that gets me is that when you’re that deep and isolated, if anything whatsoever goes wrong, you’re hosed. It’s not like a rescue vehicle can just show up.

Correction: a carbon fiber Pringles can.

Actually, leave Pringles out of this because an actual metal Pringles can would still be functional.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The implosion caused the rapidly collapsing mist of passenger to act similarly to a diesel cylinder, igniting the remaining air, thus causing an explosion!

I've seen enough superhero movies to recognize an origin story. However, are we getting five red Dr Manhattans or will one of them be a carbon fiber guy?

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Pardon me if I am incorrect, but isn't holding high pressure in tension, which carbon fiber is good at, while holding high pressure out is compression, which it is terrible for?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I went on vacation over the weekend and stopped paying attention to the news and I come back to find a rich man had reduced himself to a tin of sardines. And life is good.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

More like Xbox 690. :heysexy:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kalleth posted:

Same with scuba tanks. They're regularly tested to 1.5x~ their rated pressure and shops will only fill tanks with a valid and in date test.

The 20-lb propane tank in your grill is subjected to more rigorous and regular testing than this submersible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kalleth posted:

You generally want to "test" things to a load factor higher than you will be regularly stressing them, to give you a safety factor for things like nicks, dings, wear caused by cyclical loading, etc.

Nobody should be designing a sub that regularly dives to 4000m so that it will explode when it hits 4001m.

For a sub, they should have test dove it to *deeper* than their regular depth floor, to prove that safety factor. Otherwise you're deep into "well it worked last time so that means it will work this time!" territory.
Yea, an example that comes to mind is airplane wings that they test until failure

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They should put those on submarines as well

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Triggs posted:

I think I saw in a news clip some retired admiral saying that the US Navy's recovery robots only go to something like 2000m and this thing is at around 3800m. So yeah, even if they find them, they won't be able to bring it/them to the surface (assuming they're intact) without attaching some sort of external ballast balloons or some other goofy poo poo. They're dead but hey, if rich people wanna be the first to do extreme touristy things like this, they can be my guest.

Apparently they roped some undersea pipe construction ships in that have some capability to get lower than 2km. It's not gonna help but I did get a cheap chuckle out of a serious news organization giving BREAKING UPDATES about how the latest and greatest hope in saving the billionaire sub was with underwater vessels that "specialize in laying pipe underseas." :quagmire:

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Also, the reason carbon fiber works for paintball tanks is because its the opposite situation compared to the sub. The air pressure is higher inside paintball tank which puts tension on carbon fiber which is what its GOOD at. The sub faces higher pressure out, compressing the hull which carbon fiber is BAD at.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I mean, I guess I don't lust for death.

But it failed the 4k test, and they were like eff it and went to 6k

they used text, or whatever to communicate

no beacon

Sealed inside, so even if they make it to the surface

*shaking my magic 8-ball* "All Signs Point to Death"

and also lol the StepSon living his life at the Blink 182 concert about to be like a more multi-millionaire.

Sucks for the death, but one of the vids of a previous passenger said the waiver mentioned death like 20 times on the first page, lol

Also:

Pilot: Look at the Majestic Titanic, in all her glory!!
Passenger: We're going to die, tho?
Pilot: erhm. But, look at the Majestic Titanic in her natural habitat!
Pilot: Bob, get off the shitter, so everyone can see!

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

almost1337 posted:

Pardon me if I am incorrect, but isn't holding high pressure in tension, which carbon fiber is good at, while holding high pressure out is compression, which it is terrible for?

That's correct, but carbon fiber tubes are pretty strong I guess. A quick Google shows some oil and gas testing at ~21MPa.

The pressure at the Titanic is ~ 38 MPa.

If it was a composite overwrap titanium or something I could see it analyzing with a positive margin of safety with a stupidly low safety factor of 1.2 or something.

They definitely didn't proof test it at 3x though, lol.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Lick Joe posted:

That shouldn't be too difficult. It's not as if all those bits and bobs would be falling into an existing debris field spanning 15ish square miles.

EDIT: Oh whoops

If it imploded, wouldn't some of the debris like fabric or tubing or plastic computer parts be floating on the surface by now? I'm not sure if conditions are calm and sunny enough to even spot something like that though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
V2 will use a Wiimote.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Zhanism posted:

Also, the reason carbon fiber works for paintball tanks is because its the opposite situation compared to the sub. The air pressure is higher inside paintball tank which puts tension on carbon fiber which is what its GOOD at. The sub faces higher pressure out, compressing the hull which carbon fiber is BAD at.

That’s neat, I didn’t know that. I really hope the groversub engineers did.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
The Titan with it's alive passengers is going to get ejected from a volcano about 5 thousand years from now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That’s neat, I didn’t know that. I really hope the groversub engineers did.

Good News: They Did!
Bad News: They Fired That Guy!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's surprising the sub hadn't imploded well before this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Those five dudes are dead right now. That submarine had worse build quality than experimental subs from the nineteenth century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puEXCyqkEKA

Here's footage of when they lost contact with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

groverhaus is still standing to this day

and you can visit it for a lot less than $250k

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Here's footage of when they lost contact with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Shocking footage from the inside of the sub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqeFT4xAcXM

Poor bastards don't even get to enjoy nitrogen narcosis before they kick it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1670972322898141185

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I can’t tell if he’s 23 or 42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Assuming by some miracle it didn't just explode and kill them instantly and instead they are sitting on the bottom or floating in the deep current or something do you think they've started killing the weak to conserve air yet? Surely the CEO was the first to go. I am imagining the billionaire offering half his money to whoever eliminates the others.