Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there are candles you can burn that turn co2 into o2

but i doubt they wanted to spend money on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Knowing what we do now, chairs and a real xbox controller would have been total wastes of money, so actually the sub guy was pretty smart

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

Everything we have been learning about how this company operates is that their testing and design decisions were informed by a high amount of wishful thinking and hubris. Any testing they did was probably done on a "get to yes" basis as opposed to truly testing out their designs to determine if they were actually safe.

It’s not just here it’s the general trend of corporation tactics these days to treat every aspect of a budget as something that can be margined against. Look at what happened to Boeing when the business majors took over they can’t build planes worth poo poo anymore even though that’s what they’re supposed to be good at.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

biznatchio posted:

🎶 All the.... small things...
Like mom's... new fling...
Crushed to.... 1D
By the... deep sea

Dad's dead... but though...
You're here... at my show...
Tweeting... Drinking...
In-her-i-ti-ing

Say it ain't so
To the wreck they go
Chamberpot is full
Breaches in the hull

Na-na na na na na-na na-na...
🎶

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can't stop thinking about how they named the sub after history's most famous shipwreck.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

ComfyPants posted:

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

Hot drat

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Jestery posted:

Super comedy option

The electronics failed

The emergency "get to the surface" system (if they had one) goes and they all go "phew so glad we got out of that one lads"

Only to be lost at sea with no backup communication system and everyone is kinda scanning the ocean when they are dieing of c02 poisoning on the surface like 100 miles away

Nah they’ve got one of those little red hammers from a school mini-bus to smash a window out if they need

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Okay, uhm… I just figured the stepkid was deciding to still go to a Blink 182 concert. Then I saw his handle, and this post from an hour ago. No irony lost on the lyrics.

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671312625106571264

This is beyond parody, he’s an audio engineer for them which means he is continuing to attend Blink 182 concerts.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This is what happens when you assume someone else will remember the spare batteries for the controller

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I can’t get over the fact that this wasn’t even a scam. The CEO seems to have genuinely believed that it was just fine to cut corners and say screw regulations to the point where he trusted getting on that death trap. It sounds like it was a loving miracle this didn’t happen much earlier than it did.

None of this is to imply that CEOs have any decency or functioning brain cells, just that I’d have expected the guy to be rolling around in money on a private island somewhere and laughing at the suckers dumb enough to get on that sub.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

*everyone glares at CEO as rolling the ballast off didn’t go as planned when everyone moved to one side of the sub*

“I didn’t say they were seven feasible ways to surface… does anyone know how to access Device Managers on a computer?”

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

hellotoothpaste posted:

This is beyond parody, he’s an audio engineer for them which means he is continuing to attend Blink 182 concerts.

He has a job and is going to continue to work his job so he isn’t just stuck at home thinking about his dead/dying stepfather?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Three Olives posted:

That is actually kind of normal, it's ballast, you don't spend a bunch of money on something you are planning on leaving on the sea floor so it looks nice in photos before launch.

there are actually specific areas near the wreck intended for DSVs to drop ballast at so it doesn't crap up the wreck itself

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'd be so disappointed if I paid $250k to go on a deep sea sub to see the titanic and it was just a featureless hollow tube I had to sit cross legged in. I want gauges, levers and dials all over the walls even if they don't do anything.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

hellotoothpaste posted:

Okay, uhm… I just figured the stepkid was deciding to still go to a Blink 182 concert. Then I saw his handle, and this post from an hour ago. No irony lost on the lyrics.

https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671312625106571264

Wait Blink182 hired a guy who threatened to shoot up a concert to run the audio at their concerts?

Dude must be a hell of an audio engineer.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

He has a job and is going to continue to work his job so he isn’t just stuck at home thinking about his dead/dying stepfather?

I never thought I'd die alone
I laughed the loudest, who'd have known?
I trace the cord back to the wall
No wonder, it was never plugged in at all
I took my time, I hurried up
The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
I'm too depressed to go on
You'll be sorry when I'm gone

I never conquered, rarely came
Sixteen just held such better days
Days when I still felt alive
We couldn't wait to get outside
The world was wide, too late to try
The tour was over, we'd survived
I couldn't wait 'til I got home
To pass the time in my room alone

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

This is what happens when you assume someone else will remember the spare batteries for the controller

they untethered the bluetooth to play video games

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Further Reading posted:

Wait Blink182 hired a guy who threatened to shoot up a concert to run the audio at their concerts?

He did WHAT? I missed this part of the saga holy poo poo

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

holefoods posted:

I can’t get over the fact that this wasn’t even a scam. The CEO seems to have genuinely believed that it was just fine to cut corners and say screw regulations to the point where he trusted getting on that death trap. It sounds like it was a loving miracle this didn’t happen much earlier than it did.

Mean Time Before Failure: exceeding safety margin by 3x+, 4.5 times.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the audio engineer wouldn't be off to the side of the stage like that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctu7t4XJEr1/

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ComfyPants posted:

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

drat when youre right youre right

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

He did WHAT? I missed this part of the saga holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/drew__ablank/status/1671251151759773702?t=9rXiDEjt272ExsVWqHNv3w&s=19

Bit of a stalker too apparantly.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRfHbyCQDCo

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

He would if it’s a fake job that he got through connections where he just plugs in a couple of cables then spends the rest of the time hanging around his favourite band and going to parties.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Konami-code is the resurface key but they keep loving it up

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure he's there as a fan

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What I don't get is why someone would go down to a sunk boat in the middle of nowhere when there's a ton of perfectly good WW2 warships off the coasts of islands in the Pacific to check out instead. Go down, look around, spend the rest of your time at the local resort. Even Hawaii has the Arizona memorial for maximum patriotism.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Titanic: once a tourist trap, always a tourist trap.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

What I don't get is why someone would go down to a sunk boat in the middle of nowhere when there's a ton of perfectly good WW2 warships off the coasts of islands in the Pacific to check out instead. Go down, look around, spend the rest of your time at the local resort. Even Hawaii has the Arizona memorial for maximum patriotism.

Or you could spend $250,000 to go to St. John's, Newfoundland.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I guess they can cross that off the to-do list.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's purely an exclusivity thing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I guess they can cross that off the to-do list.

They're further along the tech tree, soon they'll have animal husbandry.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
It's a socks only sub, so their last hours smell like feet, and a poop box.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Someone has surely beat me to it but this has been covered already. Paintball tanks are under tension, i.e. the pressure is pushing out against the tank not compression pushing in against it. It’s good at tension, not compression.
Pretty much all materials that aren't ceramic/rock/concrete, like CFRP, metal, and rope (any kind) are stronger in tension. A big non-material reason is that things can buckle under compression, which obviously doesn't occur under tension.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

*spends a kings ransom of hoarded, stolen wealth to reach places mankind is not meant to be*

*gets stuck*

*nobody can afford to help them*

Oops!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The value of the trip is the story not the experience. Telling a bunch of clout obsessed vapid socialites that you saw a bunch of warships nobody heard of isn't going to be as impressive as saying you saw that one famous boat from the movie.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Further Reading posted:

The value of the trip is the story not the experience. Telling a bunch of clout obsessed vapid socialites that you saw a bunch of warships nobody heard of isn't going to be as impressive as saying you saw that one famous boat from the movie.
I hope there was a touching scene on the way down where one rich dude was taking a poo poo while holding up another rich dude spreading his arms in front of the window.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Dick Jones posted:

If it imploded, wouldn't some of the debris like fabric or tubing or plastic computer parts be floating on the surface by now? I'm not sure if conditions are calm and sunny enough to even spot something like that though.

Yeah, but IIRC there was a article about the "rescue" effort saying that the ocean was pretty normal with six foot swells. Picture trying to spot a couple cubic feet of plastic debris in several hundred square miles of rough ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Okay so let's say they weren't all turned into pulp and fish food and they resurfaced and are now drifting atop the ocean somewhere.

Can they break out the window if they start running out of air?