Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chemtrailologist posted:

Another installment from the Morbius expanded universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1nfDIJ9kU

That looks like absolute garbage. Who would approve releasing a movie like that? I know movies are looking bleak on average lately, but holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's prolly cheap and will sell well in other markets, like all of Sony's recent mid theatrical poo poo.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Chemtrailologist posted:

I have never quit while watching a trailer. But with that one, I couldn't even make it a minute before I said "Nah", and closed the tab. It was just so bland and I don't know who Kraven is, but it didn't make me want to know either. :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I said it in another thread but this feels like the Cruella movie where they knew they couldn't possibly make a movie about a puppy skinner so instead they made him....Halle Berry's Catwoman?!? What a move.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mycot posted:

I said it in another thread but this feels like the Cruella movie where they knew they couldn't possibly make a movie about a puppy skinner so instead they made him....Halle Berry's Catwoman?!? What a move.

Well that is how you make a hunter relatable, make him hunt humans.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The only way to get me interested in the Rhino is to have Paul Giamatti play him, and that is no Paul Giamatti

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Clap posted:

I know that generally people have no faith whatsoever in D&D but I'm very excited for this. The end of GoT left such a bad taste in most people's minds that they forget D&D turned in at least 3 great seasons of television when they had something to adapt and even when they didn't a couple turned out pretty good (Season 6 comes to mind).

The quality of the first 3-4 seasons of GoT rested more on the immense talent of everyone involved behind the scenes except D&D. Having material to adapt kept their bad instincts from screwing up the show but by season 4 they had enough clout to start overruling people and insisting their great ideas should carry the day.

The Clap posted:

The whole 3 Body series will require a stupid massive budget to complete so just like how I'm glad Apple is pumping money into a Foundation series I am happy Netflix is pumping money into this one. While the streamers still live I'm glad to watch them use hundreds of millions of dollars to adapt great sci-fi series.

The 3BP series is very, um, let's say inconsistent. The best possible way forward would be to keep a lot of the big swing high concept sci-fi stuff and put some new spins on it, because trying to do a 1:1 adaptation is going to result in a lot of bad TV no matter how much they pump into the budget.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, based on the trailer, all I can really guess is aliens? But I'm guessing I'm either wrong, or there's more to it than that.

It's not giving me much to go on other than that. The visuals look like pretty nonsense. I'm guessing because there's a VR world or something? Otherwise I don't know how a church on a lava hellscape enters into an alien story.

I mean, this isn’t that far off the mark. Maybe it is a well communicated trailer?

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

The quality of the first 3-4 seasons of GoT rested more on the immense talent of everyone involved behind the scenes except D&D. Having material to adapt kept their bad instincts from screwing up the show but by season 4 they had enough clout to start overruling people and insisting their great ideas should carry the day.

I started rewatching GoT recently and got about halfway into season 1 before just petering out and losing interest. The production design is fantastic and Sean Bean and Mark Addy are outstanding but otherwise it is kind of rough imo. So many terrible performances. Every scene with Kit Harrington or Aiden Gillen is hard to get through. Sucks because I remember Gillen being great on the Wire.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Stand back, you wont kike it when I start to Krave!

This looks like a terrible Bravestarr reboot.

STRENGTH OF THE LION!
SPEED OF.... ALSO THE LION!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
he's got the vest but it doesn't have the lion face on it, they're too scared to fully embrace the kraven

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FilthyImp posted:

Hold up Mel!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Chemtrailologist posted:

As someone who is burnt out on superhero films and knows almost nothing about what the character is supposed to be in the comics, this looks like an entertaining action movie to me.

Looks like it has a significant amount of practical stunt work.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FilthyImp posted:

STRENGTH OF THE LION!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

STRENGTH OF THE LION!

something awful typo of the year nominee

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That is a slur and you can only say it if you're a Marvel beast man.

(Real comic that was then recalled)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Aaron Taylor Johnson is so goddamn boring. I hate to be mean about an actor but I am just not interested when he is on screen, ever, and I'm tired of the most boring leading men continuing to be presented as if they're somehow appealing.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYnnmOYwO3I
New Luca Guadignino movie, with Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O'Connor. Looks pretty good to me!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Aaron Taylor Johnson is so goddamn boring. I hate to be mean about an actor but I am just not interested when he is on screen, ever, and I'm tired of the most boring leading men continuing to be presented as if they're somehow appealing.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to feel this way. I'm sure he's a nice dude or whatever but to me, he is the most boring bland thing since Sam Worthington. I feel like the mid-2000s was cranking out a ton of "generic white male pseudo-action star" types of actors that were all more bland than bleached white bread. ATJ feels like a continuation of that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person to feel this way. I'm sure he's a nice dude or whatever but to me, he is the most boring bland thing since Sam Worthington. I feel like the mid-2000s was cranking out a ton of "generic white male pseudo-action star" types of actors that were all more bland than bleached white bread. ATJ feels like a continuation of that.

I used to call Jai Courtney "The Poor Man's Sam Worthington", but Sam Worthington has now taken that title himself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

I must confess that's how I feel about Zendaya.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megazver posted:

Johnson would be the biggest movie star in the world if he had a quarter of Zendaya's charisma.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Colonel Whitey posted:

He was pretty good in Bullet Train, so maybe he just needs to be play incredibly sweaty, skeevy hitman types. Probably the most i've been interested in seeing him on a screen anyways.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah most of these white bread rear end boring action stars would be much better slotted into character actor mode. Stop trying to make us think these guys can carry a franchise, Hollywood.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megazver posted:

wowwww objectively wrong opinion alert!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sorry! I'm glad you guys like her, at least!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dillbag posted:

I used to call Jai Courtney "The Poor Man's Sam Worthington", but Sam Worthington has now taken that title himself.

He was pretty good as an evil henchman to Werner Herzog.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

New Luca Guadignino movie, with Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O'Connor. Looks pretty good to me!

Seems real interesting to me.

Watched a surprisingly nuanced and intriguing tennis movie recently starring Paul Bettany and Kirstin Dunst called Wimbledon. One of those romantic comedies that is chock full of well researched facts about its setting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As far as Tennis movies go I feel this is about as good as it gets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpsMi3Q2fok

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Watched a surprisingly nuanced and intriguing tennis movie recently starring Paul Bettany and Kirstin Dunst called Wimbledon. One of those romantic comedies that is chock full of well researched facts about its setting.

Oh, is that movie good? I never saw it, I just remember it because, based on the trailer alone that made it seem like a standard romcom, I thought it should have been called, "30-Love".

These are the things that made me laugh back when I was (looks up the year it came out)...21? drat, I should have been able to come up with better at that point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah most of these white bread rear end boring action stars would be much better slotted into character actor mode. Stop trying to make us think these guys can carry a franchise, Hollywood.

Yeah, the problem isn't these actors, it's the concept of beefy perfect cool collected leading man. So few can bring enough to the table to make it work like the stars of the 80s and 90s, even if they've got some actual acting chops. Jeremy Renner is impossibly boring as a leading man, but when he plays a creep in Assassination of Jesse James you're glued to the screen. You can put together a laundry list of the Charlie Hunnams and Jai Courtneys of the world and you'll probably find at least one role where they play an engaging weirdo that charms you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smug n stuff posted:

Luca Guadignino always looks great for three minutes. Then the movie lasts three hours.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Toad King posted:

Stand back! I'm beginning to Krave!

I really do hope some silly meme is cultivated from Kraven's namesake.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Sam Worthington was really good in Under the Banner of Heaven. I'd heard before that he was good in his non-action star roles and it turns out he actually is.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

teagone posted:

I really do hope some silly meme is cultivated from Kraven's namesake.

I'm seeing a lot of "That's so Kraven!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "That's so Kraven!"

Lmao, perfect.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

smug n stuff posted:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

Sam Worthington was really good in Under the Banner of Heaven. I'd heard before that he was good in his non-action star roles and it turns out he actually is.

Yeah, I've been saying this for ages. If you track down his Australian work -- Sommersault, Love My Way -- he's actually really good in them all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

smug n stuff posted:

well that trailer gave away too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peanut President posted:

something awful typo of the year nominee
Oh gently caress me man. I cant type anything out anymore without some dumb fatfinger typo.
Sorry, all.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

well that trailer gave away too much
Oh its a gross sex triangle film? No it's like a head-games thriller pitting two bi dudes against each other for the rich chick? No wait it's... what.