Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Ikea = EE-Kay-uh?

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ikea = EE-Kay-uh?

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWLSuVImdkE

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
There's been a really bad batch of contestants lately. Like their general knowledge base just isn't there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I have never heard that before.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I feel like a Ken or an Alex would have had some explanatory comment after the contestant responded. With this one it's literally impossible to tell if it was part of the clue, correcting an incorrect common pronunciation (see: Kyiv coming up at the masters tournament), or if she's just an idiot.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
You mean Jonathan Coulton was lying to me the whole time?! What next, Curling doesn't exist?!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=79Q2zzdpr34&pp=ygUVam9uYXRoYW4gY291bHRvbiBpa2Vh

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Oh, she was showing off.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

:smug:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems this E-Kay-Ah/I-Key-Ah caught at least the attention of The Sun or at least their website version for Fox News viewers.

Honestly if the former pronunciation is correct, why have they used the latter for so long? Hyundai has had this problem for years depending on where you are. My name here isn't pronounced Is-Land Nat-I-On after all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes you decide it's more trouble than it's worth to try to correct all of the people all of the time. Thandiwe Newton let people mispronounce (and misspell) her name for decades

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Island Nation posted:

Honestly if the former pronunciation is correct, why have they used the latter for so long?

idk, people still say gif with a hard g

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some impressively bad play today.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Spokes posted:

idk, people still say gif with a hard g

gig? that's weird.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm not sure if it's the contestants or the clue writing but it feels like there's been a lot of rough games the past few weeks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Some impressively bad play today.

The first round wasn't terrible, but the Double Jeopardy round is the roughest I've ever seen.

mearn posted:

I'm not sure if it's the contestants or the clue writing but it feels like there's been a lot of rough games the past few weeks.

And while there was a lot of bad play from the contestants, that semi-before and after movie category was something else. Re-looking at the clues on J! Archive, the first two clues were fine, but what in the hell were the last three?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That awkward and smug “have a meaningful Juneteenth” had my soul crawling out of my body. I get wanting to acknowledge it, but her vibe was so weird.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And while there was a lot of bad play from the contestants, that semi-before and after movie category was something else. Re-looking at the clues on J! Archive, the first two clues were fine, but what in the hell were the last three?
The Final Jeopardy was godawful as well. No context, no ability to reason it out, just "Here's a minor event that happened last year, if you didn't hear about it at the time, gently caress you."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Absolutely terrible clues for the whole category imo. I was trying to put Ron Burgundy or San Diego or even Anchorman together with Temple of Doom. Like I was looking for a clever way, but NOPE, no need apparently.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A cryptocurrency investor, in my Jeopardy?

It's more common than you'd think!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

congratulations to mentioned player on their result tonight, likely their best ROI in recent memory

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

And he did just as well as his cryptocurrency.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

We have a new Wolf Blitzer moment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spokes posted:

congratulations to mentioned player on their result tonight, likely their best ROI in recent memory

An incredibly appropriate game for that dude.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our current champ has a 3 day total that would be a meh one day total. What the hell is going on with these contestants lately? It's the end of the season, did they start deliberately picking awful contestants because they used up their budget?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our current champ has a 3 day total that would be a meh one day total. What the hell is going on with these contestants lately? It's the end of the season, did they start deliberately picking awful contestants because they used up their budget?

Makes me wish I had told them to give me a raincheck when they called me back in November and said “we want to film your episode in 4 weeks, no biggie if you can’t,” instead of saying yes and walking into one of two data scientist buzzsaws thus far in Season 39.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The era of the super champ is over! Now begins the era of meh!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
We've also been having an inexplicable stretch of absolute dog poo poo clues for most of this Mayim run, so it's not entirely the contestants' fault

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i watched masters over the last couple weeks (missed the original run) and one game sam told a story about being offered and missing a chance to take spot on a submarine down to the titanic because of (i think) his son's wedding

probably was for the best!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

sometimes success is just being in the right place at the right time

and consequently sometimes it is just not being in the wrong place (the titanic) at the wrong time (1913 onward)

e: i guess 1912 was also a bad time to be on the titanic for many people

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1671516854924238851

just miss once, please

Spokes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 21, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

christmas boots posted:

The era of the super champ is over! Now begins the era of meh!

The era of the superchump

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I guess you can't put "big rear end in a top hat" as your profession

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mennoknight posted:

I guess you can't put "big rear end in a top hat" as your profession

"Self-described game show villain"

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oh, she was showing off.

Her completely trash Finnish pronunciation made up for it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lmao and I gotta ask: Is he called "time" or "time"?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
FWIW, $1000 is 15000 dogecoin or given his lifestyle, Three 8 balls given current street values in Nashville

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Khanstant posted:

lmao and I gotta ask: Is he called "time" or "time"?

yes

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just a FYI, the toilet paper company known as the New York Post has written up a piece on last night's Final.

Honestly, I went with the Bay of Bengal and Tasman Sea. I was off with the former and should've gone with Great Australian Bight which I only found out about now but at this point, the stupidity in writing these articles to fill copy is tiresome.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I'm really annoyed that they included a clue on 'Lab Leak Theory' regarding COVID, some plague-bearing chuds are going to latch onto that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Side topic: I love reading the comments on YouTube uploads of episodes.
Half of them are variations on "STOP SPOILING THE EPISODE!" with people responding "lol don't read the comments before watching"
It's just a fun, simple back-and-forth verbal boxing match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

is this the lowest scoring 5 day winner?