Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Animal-Mother posted:

They're further along the tech tree, soon they'll have animal husbandry.
Hate when you get the event pop up that the sub's gonna run out of air in 10 turns and you haven't even started researching sailing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Codependent Poster posted:

Okay so let's say they weren't all turned into pulp and fish food and they resurfaced and are now drifting atop the ocean somewhere.

Can they break out the window if they start running out of air?

i dont think the xbox controller is strong enough

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ded posted:

i dont think the xbox controller is strong enough

What if they grabbed the CEO and used his head as a battering ram

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Okay so let's say they weren't all turned into pulp and fish food and they resurfaced and are now drifting atop the ocean somewhere.

No, but even if they did, they would immediately start to take on water and sink.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Window can handle more lbs per inch than a dick in your mom

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Help, peasants! My hot air balloon appears to be snagged beneath the floating island of Laputa!
I won’t survive the night, if you don’t hurry!

I’m sorry, stepfather. You’ll be in my thoughts at the Liszt show.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
I just caught one of their early CGI promo videos where it shows the original design and mentions the original name was "Cyclops".

the motherfucking Subnautica wiki posted:

The Cyclops shares its name with a real-life deep-sea submarine developed by a company called OceanGate, and the game acknowledges OceanGate's trademark on this name in the credits.

Just for even more real-world engineering + video game crossover lols

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I think he was just so obsessed with the Titanic that he'd risk death to see it.

He had to have known about the whole Marine Technology Society thought this sub was a crock of poo poo. He's written articles for the MTS journal! He's probably in the MTS.

lmao RMS Titanic Inc, the company that Nargeolet works for, is part of the same company that does the "BODIES!" exhibition -- ie the chinese knock-off of Body Worlds that is probably using executed criminals and black-market sources. And they've been playing games with bankruptcy to sell off Titanic artifacts.

The dude is willing to work for a scum business just to keep doing Titanic dives.

Nargeolet's in a small space with extremely wealthy clients, and he's the director of the giftshop.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2023

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
how long until the movie is out

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm legit kind of mad that our US military is using all these resources instead of just saying "There are two billionaires on that sub, marine salvage laws apply, god speed the free market economy!"

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

everything they do is to protect capital anyways I don’t see how looking for a CEO is any different

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

if they have surfaced to six foot swells its going to be a little pukey wooky in there :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dick Jones posted:

If it imploded, wouldn't some of the debris like fabric or tubing or plastic computer parts be floating on the surface by now? I'm not sure if conditions are calm and sunny enough to even spot something like that though.

If it was 2.5 km down when it imploded, it might take a while before any debris gets to the surface.

Stuff like fabric and hard plastic isn't super buoyant, it wouldn't really rocket right up. I'd imagine it might take days or weeks. And over that time it'll be well spread out by currents.

Stuff that is buoyant like foam or lightweight plastic or a human body gets crushed into bits.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Given the window is meant to hold against 400-ish atmospheres of pressure (although it was apparently only rated for 170-ish atmospheres of pressure) I wouldn't give good odds for some middle-aged billionaires and a teenager breaking it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My :10bux: is on a Humboldt squid ripping up the outer cables, those fuckers don't mess around.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Klyith posted:

If it was 2.5 km down when it imploded, it might take a while before any debris gets to the surface.

Stuff like fabric and hard plastic isn't super buoyant, it wouldn't really rocket right up. I'd imagine it might take days or weeks. And over that time it'll be well spread out by currents.

Stuff that is buoyant like foam or lightweight plastic or a human body gets crushed into bits.

Yeah I don't imagine anything in that sub is so super buoyant that it would float to the surface. Plus trying to find a little bit of foam or carpet in hundreds of miles of choppy ocean.
I've heard all sorts of stuff recently, like they got some sort of connection but no one responded.
I think their overused hull failed, and they popped way deep down, and there's nothing left.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bad news: just found out one of them brought aboard a dart board. Worse news: one of them missed.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

My :10bux: is on a Humboldt squid ripping up the outer cables, those fuckers don't mess around.

Please be considerate of our canned guests. They deserve nothing less than Harvard squid.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."

Busters posted:

Yeah I don't imagine anything in that sub is so super buoyant that it would float to the surface.

There might be some floaty plastic fragments of those Soundblaster PC speakers kicking around.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

kalleth posted:

[*] Chose to use that loving text message comms system because the CEO was tired of being distracted by voice messages

Wait, WHAT

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Wouldn't the implosion have been picked up on ocean listening devices? Or maybe since it was carbon fiber it didn't "pop" the way a typical all-metal pressure vessel would.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Neeksy posted:

Wait, WHAT

innovation :smug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lmao they get bolted in from the outside

Also wheres james cameron when you need him?

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

We haven’t heard from the stepson in a while because he’s been kidnapped by Leonardo DiCaprio, who’s going to into his dreams the idea to break up his fathers empire so Ken Watanabe can corner the global groversub market.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden hid the facts

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

Scam Likely posted:

Wouldn't the implosion have been picked up on ocean listening devices? Or maybe since it was carbon fiber it didn't "pop" the way a typical all-metal pressure vessel would.

Possibly, I wonder if it takes a while for them to re-analyse the data to look for a sound they aren’t typically looking for (because what idiot makes an underwater vehicle out of carbon fibre, apparently?)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What were these peoples relationships to…Hillary Rodham Clinton? 🤨

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

From the cold war thread.

quote:

A Canadian aircraft searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent to Department of Homeland Security leadership and obtained by Rolling Stone. A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday.

SlurredSpeech609 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 21, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What were these peoples relationships to…Hillary Rodham Clinton? 🤨

They were going to be her first stop on the new season of Gutsy

Jaggedstagger
Jan 28, 2005
Yowza!
Looks like they got the juicero finally working!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sound is weird under water. I mean just because you hear banging from "around there" doesn't mean it's where you think it is.

OOOOOOH poo poo.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...5e43383fb1&ei=9

quote:

The Titan set out on its expected 9-hour round-trip expedition from 400 miles off the coast of St John's, Newfoundland, around 8 AM Sunday. The submersible's last contact with the Polar Prince, which provided coordination communication from the surface, was around 9:45 AM.

Despite being unable to reach the Titan from that point forward, OceanGate waited to report the submersible as missing when it failed to return to the surface around 5:40 PM, nearly 8 hours later.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 21, 2023

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I can't find it but i read a Twitter post that said there's only been four successful submarine rescues in history. 2/4 were in a training scenario and 1 was stuck in a fishing net so the location was known for all of them. Also the oxygen was on the verge of running out for all of them.

Edit: here's the referenced website

https://thehill.com/homenews/4057666-how-many-times-have-submarine-rescues-succeeded/

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

super sweet best pal posted:

What I don't get is why someone would go down to a sunk boat in the middle of nowhere when there's a ton of perfectly good WW2 warships off the coasts of islands in the Pacific to check out instead. Go down, look around, spend the rest of your time at the local resort. Even Hawaii has the Arizona memorial for maximum patriotism.

Well they're British and even though we were Allies during WW2 the Pacific was a little outside their wheelhouse. Plus IIRC they asked us to help multiple times before Hawaii got bombed. I feel like they would be like "This is the memorial of when these fuckers FINALLY decided to help us not get obliterated by Nazis."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best way to experience Titanic

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Further Reading posted:

The value of the trip is the story not the experience. Telling a bunch of clout obsessed vapid socialites that you saw a bunch of warships nobody heard of isn't going to be as impressive as saying you saw that one famous boat from the movie.

Me in real therapy session: I mean I think I might have some residual PTSD from the elephant attack...
Therapist: Wait, elephant attack?
Me: Oh, yeah, I was almost killed by an elephant.
Therapist: Wait, what?!
Me: *sigh*, Yes, we were on safari in Africa and elephant totaled the Land Cruiser we were in, it put over a tree and ripped the axle out.
Therapist: :stare:
Me: Yeah, it's like the third time I've almost died, the private plane we were in almost went down in the rainforest once in a storm, it was doing the "Whoop, whoop! Whoop! Whoop!, Pull up! Pull Up!
Me: And bears confronted the helicopter we were in Alaska once when we landed on the beach.
Therapist: :stare:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Anyone who's worn an SCBA knows that you have x minutes of rated oxygen and about 30% of that under any real exertion. Between the panic, screaming, banging, and murdering Stockton Rush, I'm sure they ran out early.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Best way to experience Titanic

I was a little kid when this game came out and I tried to play it but was too dumb to understand it. I'm probably still too dumb to understand it because it has something to do with traveling back in time to the titanic during the blitz or something

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Wh... Why do you think it's called the Humboldt squid

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

Anyone who's worn an SCBA knows that you have x minutes of rated oxygen and about 30% of that under any real exertion. Between the panic, screaming, banging, and murdering Stockton Rush, I'm sure they ran out early.

This is very true.

I remember one of the last times I dove, and it was in super shallow water, but there were a gently caress ton of rocks around, and a bunch of long spine urchins moving around them. My dive buddy had no problem getting around the rocks, but I found myself falling behind. Now this was stupid shallow, like 6 feet, but I had to get into trained slow breathing mode so I didn't panic and get stabbed if I went too low, or hit by rocks if the waves pushed me too high. This was a full loving tank, in bright rear end daylight, with a trained dive buddy.

Those dudes? Yeah that oxygen doesn't last long if you start screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I've seen videos at conferences of underwater implosions on carbon-fiber/epoxy tubes that reminded me of the construction of this sub. I went digging (i.e. put "underwater cylinder implosion" into google scholar) and of course the videos aren't uploaded but there are pictures. These experiments are driven by hydrostatic pressure, which is to stay a slowly increasing overall pressure to mimic deep sea conditions rather than a sudden explosion or other trigger.

Source: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pd...sMMOB1Gf-DFdDBD

Carbon-fiber/epoxy tube with no stiffening ring

Tubes with increasing number of rings

Post-mortem images of the cracking

Once a tube like that starts to buckle, it goes fast.