Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wish i could just hide all shorts forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Oh I can't? So literally all you give me to manage all the liking and subscribing you demand I do is one single gigantic vertical list of every one of my subscribed channels, which I can only alphabetically arrange, without even so much as a description of each channel visible at a glance to see which ones are which? Just one single gigantic unorganizable, unfilterable line of bullshit I have no hopes of ever actually making use of? So if I'm a person who happens to pay attention to more than one thing, I guess I'm just SOL huh.

The TV UI makes you tap past every one of the items on this list to find one near the bottom btw lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

You know what I love about youtube? They force every single content creator on the platform to scream "like and subscribe and ding that notification bell!!!!!!" during every single video or else the algorithm will hide it from everybody's feed, but then they turn around and provide users with next to zero ways to leverage that liking and subscribing.

Hey youtube, can I organize my subscribed channels into custom groups? And then maybe can I select "hide everything in this channel category except new videos?" so I can create self-curating lists of all my favorite content? So for example can I create a "Tech News" group that includes channels like Linus Tech Tips, Hardware Unboxed, and Strange Parts with an "only show unwatched videos X days old or newer" filter so I can have a convenient place to check for all new videos in that category when I want to see what's going on in the tech world?

Oh I can't? So literally all you give me to manage all the liking and subscribing you demand I do is one single gigantic vertical list of every one of my subscribed channels, which I can only alphabetically arrange, without even so much as a description of each channel visible at a glance to see which ones are which? Just one single gigantic unorganizable, unfilterable line of bullshit I have no hopes of ever actually making use of? So if I'm a person who happens to pay attention to more than one thing, I guess I'm just SOL huh.

So you've created a system where after you have a couple dozen subscriptions, it becomes entirely useless to subscribe to more channels because there's just no way to keep track of them beyond that. You keep screaming at me to like at subscribe but you give me zero incentive or utility for doing that.

That about right? Ok cool just checking.
The answer is RSS Feeds, OP.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RSS rules and survives despite industry trying to kill it because it’s basically impossible for them to track and/or monetize.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Rip Google Reader

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

Rip Google Reader

I'd laugh at people who bought Stadia, but then they got refunds, so I guess betting on Google's desire to discontinue products works out ok sometimes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd laugh more at the people who bought domains from Google since they literally launched the security nightmare .zip domain and shut down Google Domains 2 weeks later.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The TV UI makes you tap past every one of the items on this list to find one near the bottom btw lol

Installing SmarterTube was the best thing I did on my chromecast

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GreatGreen posted:

You know what I love about youtube? They force every single content creator on the platform to scream "like and subscribe and ding that notification bell!!!!!!" during every single video or else the algorithm will hide it from everybody's feed, but then they turn around and provide users with next to zero ways to leverage that liking and subscribing.

If I subscribe to a channel, it knows I like them and puts their videos on my home screen.
If I watch the new video from a channel, because YT promoted it to me!, the channel will still have a "unwatched" bullet.
I have to go into the channel to clear it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

Wish i could just hide all shorts forever

SponsorBlock does this
Fuckin love sponsorblock

Actually it's SmartTube that does it.

Both of them make youtube so much better to use

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 21, 2023

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Blockin shorts? thats a ban.

Blockin ads? you better believe... thats a ban.

https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-confirm-three-strikes-policy-ad-blocking-test-3340826/

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lol this is going to go well

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Soon I'll need a VPN or reboot my router to keep watching Youtube?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

Blockin shorts? thats a ban.

Blockin ads? you better believe... thats a ban.

https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-confirm-three-strikes-policy-ad-blocking-test-3340826/

If ads weren't insufferable, people wouldn't block them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

If ads weren't insufferable, people wouldn't block them.

Yeah if they’re doing this YouTube better start rolling sponsorblock into my YouTube premium subscription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao if they think im ever gonna not block ads.

The real answer is what they're going to do is insert the ads, real-time into the stream, like twitch does. Twitch ads are nearly impossible to block because of it

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The real answer is what they're going to do is insert the ads, real-time into the stream, like twitch does. Twitch ads are nearly impossible to block because of it

It's really hard to avoid an ad break on twitch, but it's not too hard to get the "hold on" screen instead of the actual ad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just as bad, IMO

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

youtube has also been experimenting with paywalling 4K and higher-bitrate 1080p playback behind the subscription

they've got the almost total monopoly on video hosting and now it's time to squeeze out some profits

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also twitch is not doing very well, so they're not facing the stiffest competition in livestreaming either

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Time to move to Floatplane

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I'm going back to Google Video

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
bring back lp's with just screenshots and text

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

This is the same reason I've been doing everything I can in firefox, with the impending destruction of adblockers in chromium-based browsers.

I wonder if piholes will still be effective when they make this change.

'Oh I don't have adblock, it just looks like there's some kind of DNS error for all your ads. Curious.'

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DNS-level adblocking has never been effective on youtube in my experience, i think they serve the ads from the same domain as the actual content

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Youtube has never been able to stop youtube-dl, to the extent that they tried legal threats instead of technical ones. There's no way their dumb three strikes thing is anything more than a script on the page that stops the video.

Real adblocking with dynamic filters will be able to block their anti-adblock script just like it blocks the ads. IE the type of adblock they're going to stop allowing in Chrome... sometime. They keep pushing back the deadline.

Hunter Noventa posted:

This is the same reason I've been doing everything I can in firefox, with the impending destruction of adblockers in chromium-based browsers.

I wonder if piholes will still be effective when they make this change.

'Oh I don't have adblock, it just looks like there's some kind of DNS error for all your ads. Curious.'

Piholes don't work on / are really bad at youtube ads already. Ads come from the same servers as the video content, so DNS blocking is ineffective.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

Piholes don't work on / are really bad at youtube ads already. Ads come from the same servers as the video content, so DNS blocking is ineffective.

Ah see, I'd never seriously looked into a pihole, so that's good to know.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pihole (or a hosted equialent like NextDNS) is still nice to have because most sites don't host their own ads, they defer that to a third party ad network which runs the ads from their third party servers which are easy to block

only giants like youtube and twitch have the clout to sell their own ads and run them from their own servers

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

Youtube has never been able to stop youtube-dl, to the extent that they tried legal threats instead of technical ones.
That's going to be my solution if they really manage to kill adblocking. I will watch way less videos and I'll download the ones I really really want to see.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

But then sponsorblock will skip through those like it does with blue apron plugs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sponsorblocks current model isn't going to work if the ads are inserted at random points, with varying durations, each time the video is played

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Youtube has never been able to stop youtube-dl,

Just like you'll never be able to stop this segue, to our sponsor!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

sponsorblocks current model isn't going to work if the ads are inserted at random points, with varying durations, each time the video is played

Well then we'll just use AI to detect when the ad break starts

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just like you'll never be able to stop this segue, to our sponsor!

Sponsorblock can and does, and hell, yt-dlp even has sponsorblock support
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#sponsorblock-options

mobby_6kl posted:

Well then we'll just use AI to detect when the ad break starts

I like it. It's going to be an endless feedback loop of ad-serving AI vs ad-blocking AI.

We're truly an advanced civilisation, we waste energy doing things and then waste more energy preventing the first thing from happening. Definitely not stupid at all

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 30, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes I was just making a simple joke at Linus's expense, sorry. Good to know it still works tho.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I like it. It's going to be an endless feedback loop of ad-serving AI vs ad-blocking AI.

that's already the reality of search engines, SEO spammers are using LLMs to spew out junk on a massive scale and google is scrambling to find ways to filter it out

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1668795652124426242

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

I wonder if 100% unbeatable ads will be what makes entities like the EU wake up and screaming for antitrust divestment of youtube from google.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

that's already the reality of search engines, SEO spammers are using LLMs to spew out junk on a massive scale and google is scrambling to find ways to filter it out

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1668795652124426242

I can’t actually view *any* tweets unless I’m logged in now…lol?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

buglord posted:

I can’t actually view *any* tweets unless I’m logged in now…lol?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1668795652124426242.html

tag yourself i'm BUSINESS BASINESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm the pregnant dogwoman