Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

lmao they get bolted in from the outside

Also wheres james cameron when you need him?

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

From the cold war thread.

That article makes it sound like the US doesn't really give a poo poo. And that kinda makes me happy.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
They'll eventually find the submersible intact with the bow buried in mud thanks to Steve Billionaire taking a heinous crab-cake-and-red-wine poo poo, throwing the sub off-balance. No amount of leaning will spare them from their watery grave.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

sweet thursday posted:

Anyone who's worn an SCBA knows that you have x minutes of rated oxygen and about 30% of that under any real exertion. Between the panic, screaming, banging, and murdering Stockton Rush, I'm sure they ran out early.

I doubt their scrubbers were as good as advertised anyway, or had any redundancies that would have protected it from a general power failure.

Not that that would have even mattered in the first place, because hypothermia would have probably killed them before even that.

Not that that would have even mattered in the second place, because the whole thing probably violently failed on some part where they were using depth-unrated corner cut poo poo and had probably built up stress failures of some kind between dives

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Is it true that the last harpoon for the harpoon gun they take along for the dives is earmarked for these situations where they get stuck below?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Watching 10 more minutes of Avatar 2, I found out that the blue tree elves have to learn to hold their breath but they can't do it as well. But they can get swallowed by a whale and be fine inside it's stomach or whatever and it's like a VR headset. So if those Right Whales are so in need why doesn't one swallow it and teach them a lesson and swim to someplace safe. This could have already happened.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sound is weird under water. I mean just because you hear banging from "around there" doesn't mean it's where you think it is.

OOOOOOH poo poo.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...5e43383fb1&ei=9

Seems like them losing contact with the sub wasn't an infrequent thing, if it also happened one of the times a reporter happened to be around to witness it.

"Welp the text message system we cobbled together with random junk from Tractor Supply isn't working again. You know the drill, shut off the wifi for the passengers."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So if the 'banging every 30 minutes' was them, how could have sonar picked that up? What? Tapping on the inside walls somehow is picked up in the ocean by underwater drone??

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hazo posted:

Wh... Why do you think it's called the Humboldt squid

The wreckage is the most famous underwater mass grave of all time, rude to assume squid don't go on holiday too :colbert:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in the movies theres always one guy who secretly brought a gun on board and turns heel in the last act

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1671265172068130816?s=20

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've told people time and time again- there are some gigantic morons out there with impressive resumes.

quote:

Stockton Rush
CEO

Stockton Rush is Chief Executive Officer and Founder (2009) of OceanGate Inc. Rush oversees OceanGate’s financial and engineering strategies and provides a clear vision for development of 4,000 meter (13,123 feet) and 6,000 meter (19,685 feet) capable crewed submersibles and their partner launch and recovery platforms which make OceanGate Inc the leading provider of crewed submersibles for charter and scientific research.

Rush is a co-founder and member of the Board of Trustees of OceanGate Foundation (2012), a non-profit organization which aims to catalyze emerging marine technology to further discoveries in marine science, history, and archaeology.

Rush became the youngest jet transport rated pilot in the world when he obtained his DC-8 Type/Captain’s rating at the United Airlines Jet Training Institute in 1981 at the age of 19. He served as a DC-8 first officer during college summers, flying out of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for Overseas National Airways under a subcontract from Saudi Arabian Airlines. Over the course of three summers, Rush flew to locations such as Cairo, Damascus, Bombay, London, Zurich, and Khartoum. In 1984, Rush joined the McDonnell Douglas Corporation as a Flight Test Engineer on the F-15 program. During this time, he spent two years at Edwards Air Force Base on the APG-63 radar test program and then on the Anti-Satellite Missile Program as the sole full-time representative of McDonnell Douglas.

Over the past 20 years, Rush has overseen the development of multiple successful IP ventures. He served on the Board of Directors for Seattle’s BlueView Technologies, a manufacturer of small, high-frequency sonar systems. In 2012, Rush was involved in the company’s acquisition by Teledyne Inc, a leading provider of cutting-edge subsea technologies. He has served as board member for Entomo, an enterprise software developer focused on post-sale channel management and financial reporting, and as Chairman of Remote Control Technology, Inc. (RCT), a manufacturer of wireless remote-control devices for several Fortune 500 industrial clients, including Exxon, Conoco-Philips and Boeing. He served on the Board of Trustees of the Museum of Flight in Seattle from 2003-2007, chairing the Development Committee from 2006-2007.

In 1989, Rush personally built a Glasair III experimental aircraft, which he still owns and flies. He completed a heavily modified Kittredge K-350 two-man submersible, in which he has conducted over 30 dives to date.

He obtained his BSE in Aerospace Engineering from Princeton University in 1984, and his MBA from the U.C. Berkeley Haas School of Business in 1989.

Rush has written numerous engineering articles on crewed submersible vehicles in subsea operations for a variety of trade publications and has spoken on private-public investment opportunities in the new ocean economy.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

Log082 posted:

Post-mortem images of the cracking

Once a tube like that starts to buckle, it goes fast.

"No ring"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lampsacus posted:

So if the 'banging every 30 minutes' was them, how could have sonar picked that up? What? Tapping on the inside walls somehow is picked up in the ocean by underwater drone??

yeah, seems unlikely that banging on the inner hull or window would be louder than the acoustic transmitter that was used for normal comms, which they would presumably still have active. maybe if the power source failed it's plausible.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why did they cheap out and buy a crappy controller when a proper flight sim setup only costs a little more and looks way more impressive to prospective clients? Hell, logitech even has joysticks for about the same price as their controller. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Joystick-Programmable-Weighted-Rapid-fire/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=hotas&qid=1687317714&sr=8-28

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

Holy poo poo they might be alive.
Wasn’t one of the “safety” features a noise generator that goes off once every half hour?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Maybe them doing the really stupid "Rock the sub to knock the ballast off" procedure and taking ~30 minute breaks because that poo poo probably tires you out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"enterprise software developer focused on post-sale channel management and financial reporting" is some impressive :techno: bullshit

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Seems more likely the banging would be from the sound of a metal tube slamming into pre-existing wreckage.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

"Rolling Stone" posted:

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Podcast guy on the sub
"Well I brought my equipment, y'all wanna record a poddy?"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hazo posted:

"enterprise software developer focused on post-sale channel management and financial reporting" is some impressive :techno: bullshit

That's the kind of stuff I'd put in my resume to pad it out after I made an internal report while interning.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

SAY YOHO posted:

"No ring"

thank god somebody said it, I couldn't find a way to work it in that wasn't gratuitous

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

I'm pretty sure the majority of development jobs out there are like "guy who writes the program that shuffles poo poo from Program A into Program B" and "Guy who writes the thing that makes the spreadsheet nobody reads". Which is what I'd assume seeing that title.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Best way to experience Titanic

Odd that in a game where you change the future you couldn't save the ship.

Project 401 lets you wander around most of the Titanic. It gives you a chance to see the ship as it more or less really was. It's strips some of the glamour of the James Cameron movie away but leaves the very solid looking and beautiful ship. I showed the demo to my son and he said he wanted to go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8mBDFjGec0

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Number_6 posted:

Someone get Dirk Pitt on the case!

He's already raised the Titanic so his response would be: ":lol: they dead."

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if they survive we will all witness the most sued company in all of history

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Codependent Poster posted:

Here's footage of when they lost contact with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

Yes exactly :hfive:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah that's the part that sparked my questions and doesn't answer them. 💥

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I wonder if it’s resting on the floor if can they even get the ballast to unhook. Super dodgy mechanism

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The canadians aren't being specific enough. It's not banging. It's "banging" every thirty minutes. They know they are hosed so they are trying to make the best of it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

The canadians aren't being specific enough. It's not banging. It's "banging" every thirty minutes. They know they are hosed so they are trying to make the best of it.

Under the sea 😞
Under the sea 😞
Darling it's better :(
Down where it's wetter :(
Take it from me :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The "rave community".

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

super sweet best pal posted:

Why did they cheap out and buy a crappy controller when a proper flight sim setup only costs a little more and looks way more impressive to prospective clients? Hell, logitech even has joysticks for about the same price as their controller. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Joystick-Programmable-Weighted-Rapid-fire/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=hotas&qid=1687317714&sr=8-28

I've been wanting to get this thing but I've always seen it listed as like 80 bucks, so I gave in and bought a whole HOTAS setup instead. Now I want to grab it but it feels kinda morbid. Maybe if it's still on sale tomorrow.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

GolfHole posted:

in the movies theres always one guy who secretly brought a gun on board and turns heel in the last act

It's a goddamn cook

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah that's the part that sparked my questions and doesn't answer them. 💥

Sound generally travels much better in water than through the air. Banging on the inside of the shell doesn't just cause noise inside, it makes the shell vibrate, which transmits sound waves through the water that can be detected by sonar buoys.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm just surprised they can bang on the walls intensely enough for the outer shell/hull to vibrate 🫨
They should bang out the rhythm to the titanic movie theme in tribute.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

super sweet best pal posted:

Because they don't follow the rules, man! They're renegades!

Only wimpy poindexters in bowties and nerd glasses care about stupid things like :airquote:standards:airquote: and :airquote:safety:airquote:, this guy is was way too cool for that!

What's the point of wasting a few bucks on professional-looking equipment when your personality is Unprofessional Gamer Bro?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

He finally found a concert venue that hadn't banned him for stalking and threatening to kill women, if he were to cancel now he might never get another opportunity to see a show!

I just realized he has 182 in his username lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Best way to experience Titanic

Another way to experience life on the Titanic is the unofficial adaptation of the movie where you play as Jack and Rose to beat up ship chefs, maids, and a ton of animals

:nws: for a brief cutscene of 8-bit boobs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkGGUVgFKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
He's making the most of his 15 minutes https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671338603803475968