Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i'm only at level 37 and still doing story stuff. when can i get mad at the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the optimal times to get mad about it are 0 hours played or 200

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The Gameplay settings menu says something about being able to Toggle repeated and channeling skills but I can't get it to work. I've like my Shouts to just cast whenever they're available and/or to start Whirlwinding when I have enough fury for it, but I can't figure these menu settings out and all the various Youtube clips that talk about settings don't get into it. Any know how to use it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

The Gameplay settings menu says something about being able to Toggle repeated and channeling skills but I can't get it to work. I've like my Shouts to just cast whenever they're available and/or to start Whirlwinding when I have enough fury for it, but I can't figure these menu settings out and all the various Youtube clips that talk about settings don't get into it. Any know how to use it?

I may be confused with the wording but youre looking for a setting to activate your abilities automatically when off cooldown?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Everybody is rightly mocking that guy for the “200 hours played in 3 weeks but you’re all idiots for liking the game thing”, but I personally want to address the “you only like the game because it’s by Blizzard and called Diablo” argument. I wasn’t particularly into d2 (respect for starting the genre, and I did play lots of hours of medianXL, I must admit) and d3 couldn’t hold my attention for more than 20-30 hours. I have no good feelings about blizzard or any of its games. I was planning on avoiding this game because it’s developed by a company with a horrible, toxic reputation that makes games I’m lukewarm on, then changed my mind when I saw early reviews. Now it’s possibly beating out Last Epoch as my favorite arpg. The game has issues, but is legitimately a good game even if it’s not providing the things you specifically want.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yep, it's pretty good. Would play 200+ hours.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Anyone want to kill demons or run around for awhile exploring? Please add my tag: zegreiart#1672

What are my fellow druids running? Bearsliding is cool. Bearsmashing got pretty stale quick. I'm super interested in being a werewolf (I have a greatstaff of the crone), but doesn't seem like I have as many pieces to make something work like Bearsliding.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I spent $90 to get 500 hours from the game, not 200.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Play the other 4 classes. Even if you "only" put 50 into each of them that's another 200 hours

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm learning so much from this thread, clearly the person best able to judge how good a game is has played it the least. Where my gamer dads at with 7 minutes in game since buying it for $100 for early access, give me your most accurate reviews.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Turds in magma posted:

When a girl buys a vibrator, its seen as a bit of naughty fun

BUT when a guy orders a 240 Volt FuckMaster Pro 5000 blowup latex doll with 6 speed pulsating vagina, elasticized anus with non-drip semen collection tray, together with optional built in realistic orgasm scream surround sound system, hes called a pervert?

Yeah but that's the one the streamer recommended so he saved all sorts of time not having to figure it out for itself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm learning so much from this thread, clearly the person best able to judge how good a game is has played it the least. Where my gamer dads at with 7 minutes in game since buying it for $100 for early access, give me your most accurate reviews.

Dad gamer here. I get like an hour, maybe two, at night after my toddlers are in bed and I can beat my teenagers to the good TV at night. I might be able to get an hour between toddler daycare drop off and my first meeting of the morning since I WFH now. Level 46 lightning Druid. Game is real good and pretty chill. Great game to play with your online dadbros and have a couple beers. I play the Act quests, but venture around to discover dungeons and do side quests. Not at all concerned with MAXIMUM XP FARMING or anything. Just having a chill time and enjoying the game.

Reading this thread is hilarious and I shouldn’t be surprised to see Mr 200 Hours in 3 weeks because goons. I can’t fathom spending that much on literally anything in life without becoming obscenely bored.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

M. Night Skymall posted:

I hit 50 this weekend, completed the story, got owned by the curator, then went to kill the bad demons for loot.

I foresee many more sessions of demon slaying.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
G

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Everybody is rightly mocking that guy for the “200 hours played in 3 weeks but you’re all idiots for liking the game thing”, but I personally want to address the “you only like the game because it’s by Blizzard and called Diablo” argument. I wasn’t particularly into d2 (respect for starting the genre, and I did play lots of hours of medianXL, I must admit) and d3 couldn’t hold my attention for more than 20-30 hours. I have no good feelings about blizzard or any of its games. I was planning on avoiding this game because it’s developed by a company with a horrible, toxic reputation that makes games I’m lukewarm on, then changed my mind when I saw early reviews. Now it’s possibly beating out Last Epoch as my favorite arpg. The game has issues, but is legitimately a good game even if it’s not providing the things you specifically want.

I'm basically you except I remained cautiously optimistic. I'm learning that people are real weird about Blizzard for both understandable and dumb reasons. But I'm happy that my optimism worked out and I'm glad everyone is enjoying the game. It'll probably be another decade before someone makes another arpg with this kinda budget and that's pretty much all she wrote. No matter what good qualities the competitors have, not a drat single one of them feels good on a controller and not a single one of them manages to make skills feel good to use. So for me personally, I'm especially glad because the also ran games make concessions for certain types of arpg player that, imho, makes the alternatives a chore to play.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Not a dad but I'm definitely time starved and this may be better than D3 was for me because the more sedate pace allows for a shallower power curve. That is killer to me because if I play for an hour or two I actually make meaningful progress. And since I'm not laser focused on whether this is a pinnacle experience or not, I'm able to enjoy it at a measured pace. If I gotta complain, I do agree that the way respec is implemented blows and makes me not want to change up my setup because just the chore of it alone puts me off. But otherwise, balancing and whatnot aside, it's pretty much exactly the game I was hoping it would be and I think it's a safe bet that it'll only get better.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Dad gamer here. I get like an hour, maybe two, at night after my toddlers are in bed and I can beat my teenagers to the good TV at night. I might be able to get an hour between toddler daycare drop off and my first meeting of the morning since I WFH now. Level 46 lightning Druid. Game is real good and pretty chill. Great game to play with your online dadbros and have a couple beers. I play the Act quests, but venture around to discover dungeons and do side quests. Not at all concerned with MAXIMUM XP FARMING or anything. Just having a chill time and enjoying the game.

Reading this thread is hilarious and I shouldn’t be surprised to see Mr 200 Hours in 3 weeks because goons. I can’t fathom spending that much on literally anything in life without becoming obscenely bored.

I'm doing lightning druid too. I think it's the dad class lol. Glad you're enjoying it.

To your comment about running around doing whatever, no loving doubt. I Was a little skeptical as to whether open world was the right call but it turns out that almost no restrictions on on where you go, plus a good range of different vectors for gaining power makes the whole thing feel like a pleasant breeze to chip away at.

Omg y'all mad Bastards changed my name you rock!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Went from getting destroyed in WT4 to bring able to hold my own once I set up my aspects correctly. That one that adds armor on attack really helped.

I'm 66 now and can go back to T21 nightmare dungeons if I'm careful.

Ranged guys that run away suck though. Still considering swapping over to penetrating poo poo but all my gear and paragon stuff is flurry and it seems like a pain so I'm going to keep on keeping on.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
One of my dad friends is level 59, and before tonight had never looked at any of his gear stats outside of the green/red number, hasn't upgraded at the blacksmith/jeweler, and didn't know enchanting existed. Also he's been using common (white) gloves. He loves it

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was kind of surprised that upon creating an alt I had a bunch of transmogs unlocked that were equivalent to what I had unlocked on my Necro.

On one hand playing dress up from level 1 is nice, but I do feel like I miss out on the pleasure of unlocking things as I go and the drip feed of cool new items.

Pretty funny having blinged out armour transmogs but my barbarian has basic poo poo for weapons because I've only unlocked scythes and swords so far.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Zero VGS posted:

You are looking for Skill Toggle Behaviour on the Gameplay tab. Judging from the five minutes I spent messing around with it, though, this option neither seems to affect shouts nor make it so Whirlwind is always on, only so (in the latter case) you can hit the skill's key once and it keeps going until you run out of fury.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
went from wt1 to wt3 , did a whisper dungeon to see what it was like and found that hard but doable; then got absolutely loving murdered by goatmen in the open world repeatedly. probably need some actual defense for the first time

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

On one hand playing dress up from level 1 is nice, but I do feel like I miss out on the pleasure of unlocking things as I go and the drip feed of cool new items.

The drip feed for me is the legendary stuff. The early front loaded dress-up is the inspiration to go and get the levels. Then, I look cool and will eventually have fun powers to figure out how to use.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
tossing up between exploring the post 50 stuff more in depth vs starting a sorcerer or barb and just getting as many classes to 50 as i can to find out what i like before season 1

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just hit lvl 50 on my Druid. Started with a summoner build until I realized that sucked rear end and followed a guide to build a landslide/trample druid.

Enjoying the game so far but something that really sucks is I can't refund individual skills. It's all or nothing. Would have been nice to test out different ultimates or whatever. I'm sure everyone is nostalgic for how Diablo 2 did it but I think free swapping of skills was one of the things D3 did right.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I’m a dad and I’m just about 67 with a home brew minion blood hybrid build necro in WT4, so I’ve played quite a bit, but I’m also a teacher and off for the summer.

Just started a HC rogue to get all the statues, because once seasons start I’ll never do softcore ever again.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Just hit lvl 50 on my Druid. Started with a summoner build until I realized that sucked rear end and followed a guide to build a landslide/trample druid.

Enjoying the game so far but something that really sucks is I can't refund individual skills. It's all or nothing. Would have been nice to test out different ultimates or whatever. I'm sure everyone is nostalgic for how Diablo 2 did it but I think free swapping of skills was one of the things D3 did right.

You can refund individual skills as long as it doesnt break later nodes

I assume your on controller, you actually have to hold down the button to refund individual skills whereas just pressing the button refunds all the skills

That may sound insane but thats how it be

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid question but is there a way to just start a public party for nightmare dungeons that others can hop in to? At the hours I play in my goon clan there seems to be like 0 or 1 other people in WT4 and they might not be up for it.

MMAgCh posted:

You are looking for Skill Toggle Behaviour on the Gameplay tab. Judging from the five minutes I spent messing around with it, though, this option neither seems to affect shouts nor make it so Whirlwind is always on, only so (in the latter case) you can hit the skill's key once and it keeps going until you run out of fury.

Yeah I guess it's not what I was hoping for and is really janky. It will toggle on Whirlwind until it runs out of fury, then it makes you autorun towards the mouse cursor. Instant skills like shouts don't interrupt it, but the barb Ultimate and Weapon Mastery skills will stop the Whirlwind and it won't start back up when they finish. Easier to hold the drat button I guess.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

Mmm hmm. As I said, I tested a game. The systems aren't there. Your point?

With goons it's always something. If I said the game had issues people would be like nun uh you aren't high enough to know it. Then when you provide evidence, it's moving of the goalposts. Who gives a gently caress if I played 160 hours over 3 weeks? I have a great job, a great life, and I'm having fun. Don't like the fact others can game more than you? Do better at life bro.

He’s simultaneously the Diablo Gamer Dad with a great life just Having Fun and the diseased one eyed wretch who played this game like an absolute aids encrusted meth freak until his floppy, loose and well-worn dopamine receptors finally croaked. Make him the thread ik.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

poo poo, somehow I missed that I love the implication that if you can’t play 14 hours of Diablo a day, you’re a pitiful specimen of the unwashed masses who’s bad at life. The art of the arpg far transcends the meager understanding of the working classes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also D4's story continues the current trend of Gaming Dads writing their heart out.

That "Donan Says spin the wheel" part as he deals with grief had us in stitches because of the constant AoE timed triggers our Sorc and Druid had on.

edit: You guys really love posting about each other huh

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Vic posted:

edit: You guys really love posting about each other huh

The thread is so terrible it’s impossible not to.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's the single player campaign for this like? I know it's probably not great but is it at least better than whatever d3's was? I don't want to get into mp but it might be fun to run through the story.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's the single player campaign for this like? I know it's probably not great but is it at least better than whatever d3's was? I don't want to get into mp but it might be fun to run through the story.

It's fine. A big step up from the Diablo 3 campaign, your character even acts and says little stuff in cutscenes, but it's the same for all characters. It's definitely padded with lots of talking, waiting, walking-talking and pointless busywork but also some really good moments, so it evens out.

And after you finish the story, new characters can skip it as an option, so you're not forced redo everything thankfully.

Vic fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 21, 2023

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

They pad the gently caress out of the last act but overall its a LOT of leaps above D3. If D3's campaign was embarrassing at best, this is fine at worst. It works, no major holes and overly goofy stuff. Ppl have problems with a few things but as far as Diablo goes this is probably the best it's been while also still being sorta complex juggling legacy characters/types ppl expect (it's not just D1 or D2 demons doing foul poo poo go kill them simple)

The voice acting is really good.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 21, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The plot feels like it was written by an AI, the voice acting is inconsistent, and the boss battles are insultingly easy... but it's still fun to mash through hoards and the music is solid.

Then again, for $70, you'd be better served with the campaigns of:

- Elden Ring
- Sekiro
- Zelda
- Vampire Survivors
- Path of Exile
- D2 Remastered

Final Fantasy 14 also stood out to me as an MMO with a campaign that was better than a lot of the single player games in the series.

If you've beaten every one of those campaigns then maybe?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah buying D4 exclusively for the campaign is a bad idea at full price. But there's a lot of side content if you like Diablo gameplay.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There's way too much walking from one spot to another, clicking on a character to listen to them talk, before being made to walk elsewhere for another conversation/cutscene, all without clicking on any monsters.

Story and characters are actually decent but the above started to drag after halfway through. Also, do the campaign at world tier 1, tier 2 is a trap and has no reason to exist.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tier 1 is for solo play, Tier 2 I guess is for groups that melt everything too easy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tier 2 is so that the story is harder and more exciting to play.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lister posted:

Diablo 1 is also on gog for $8 right now.

That there is a great game

Ask me about getting MP to work on Hellfire and enjoy quality time with friends on line

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

By doubling the HP of that 3 mob white pack in between cutscenes

mob density needs to be tripled during campaign to make it exciting to play, the story was flawed but fine and the cutscenes were banging, but holy poo poo was the combat boring as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Tier 2 was a breeze, I can't fathom how boring T1 would be.