Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

I'm just surprised they can bang on the walls intensely enough for the outer shell/hull to vibrate 🫨
They should bang out the rhythm to the titanic movie theme in tribute.

It doesn't take much. It's no different from hearing someone pounding on the other side of a wall. If the sub was on dry land and all buttoned up, and someone was on the inside pounding on the wall, you'd hear it. Same thing when it's in the water, except the sound may travel a lot farther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

did they find the giant squid that ate the billionaires yet?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, this kid has the billionaire mindset on lock, he's ready to inherit

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

sounds like he needs to take a trip to the titanic

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

My theory is that submarines are an object that has a platonic ideal (ie they’re arguably the opposite of airplanes, and there are submarine lego sets on the market, so it’s different from something like a unicycle, which has no lego set , purpose, or opposing vehicle) and this particular submarine sunk because it strayed too far from that form (no periscope tower thing or giant singular propeller on the back for instance)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

:lol: Could you imagine being a proper failson and thinking your inheritance is decades away, when you get a text from your dad saying "hey we're about to take a submarine trip to the Titanic"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

"Ladies Im single"
loving GAG

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Jack’s Revenge.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Best way to experience Titanic

my man

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Best way to experience Titanic

This unlocked some weird long lost memories.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

honestly his total shamelessness is refreshing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DickParasite posted:

He's too honest to be a successful billionaire. You have to keep your total disregard for other people's lives a secret.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: Could you imagine being a proper failson and thinking your inheritance is decades away, when you get a text from your dad saying "hey we're about to take a submarine trip to the Titanic"

Step-son, Step-father is head of a U.A.E. based business involved in brokering private jet sales and high-end London real estate, constantly making sure his entire media profile is high profile stunts...

Kid isn't getting anything, step-father was almost certainly doing a lot of shady rear end poo poo with some shady rear end people.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The bottom of the ocean looks like a complete shithole

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

"I know I'm a stalker incel who wanted to shoot up a venue and I'm posting this as my dad's dying all all but I'd make any lucky single female happy"

I don't think refreshing is the word I'd use.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
titanic adventure out of time is on steam btw

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

wilderthanmild posted:

My dumb theory:

They got to the correct depth fine and started scootin around the titanic as planned.
The electrical system failed, leaving them without propulsion, communication, and lights.
Because of the above they could not dock with the recovery platform thing and are kinda just stuck at the bottom of the ocean.

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface, ideally any control of this is either directly mechanical or has some kind of redundant back up power, because not being able to surface is bad.

Even if it turns out that the pressure vessel failed, having a separate platform the vessel needs in order to surface is the dumbest poo poo ever.

This thing is like the juicero of submarines

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Garnering an uncomfortable amount of VC interest in my pitch to bring a whole new meaning to SaaS in Submarines as a Service, where once you bolt the customer into the submarine they have to agree to the 30% monthly subscription rate hike or they explosively decompress.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
For most of Obama's first term, there was a GBS thread called like "bump this thread every time fox news gets somebody killed"

I thought about it a lot during covid and now I'm thinking on it again. This ceo idiot with his libertarian brain obsessed with gov't regulation and lax safety got 5 people killed

BTW did he apply for any PPP loans? I wonder...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DickParasite posted:

Not really. These affluenza shitheads are a dime a dozen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Juicero was a staggeringly and flawlessly over-engineered product, they wish they were in a Juicero.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Withnail posted:

The bottom of the ocean looks like a complete shithole

poo poo rolls downhill. that's the bottom of the hill.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Nah the Juicero did its job right, but its job was a stupid thing nobody needed done.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

The Juicero was a staggeringly and flawlessly over-engineered product, they wish they were in a Juicero.

Yeah I remember some YouTuber taking it apart and being like "There's no way this thing costs less to make than the $400 they charge." because every single component was so top of the line and over engineered, which is a complete waste for a loving juice press.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

The Titanic enthusiast wrote a book last year. I guarantee it'll be translated and in stores by Christmas.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Reading this fast-moving thread makes me bounce between schadenfreude at the predictable results of the safety negligence and horror from what the five people trapped in the submersible might be going through, should they still be alive.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I know everybody's having a laugh in here, but they just released audio of what they believe to be the sub imploding. :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLRHejWAo8

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bluemillion posted:

I know everybody's having a laugh in here, but they just released audio of what they believe to be the sub imploding. :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLRHejWAo8

Those poor holes.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah I remember some YouTuber taking it apart and being like "There's no way this thing costs less to make than the $400 they charge." because every single component was so top of the line and over engineered, which is a complete waste for a loving juice press.

It wasn't even a juice press. It just pressed juice out of a bag.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ProperCoochie posted:

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/oceangate-inc-2458707102

$450k lmfao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ProperCoochie posted:

lol what does your heart tell you: https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/oceangate-inc-2458707102

e: f, b

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Less Is Definitely posted:

Reading this fast-moving thread makes me bounce between schadenfreude at the predictable results of the safety negligence and horror from what the five people trapped in the submersible might be going through, should they still be alive.

yeah i feel a little bad for even the two billionaires, and legitimately bad for the 19 year old rich kid (who probably didn't do much wrong yet) and yolo submarine guy (who is on record as going "yeah i'm probably going to die on a submarine adventure" but did some meaningful good in the world and deserved to have his inevitable submarine death being "implode instantly" rather than "die suffocating amidst billionaire pee and poo")

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah i feel a little bad for even the two billionaires, and legitimately bad for the 19 year old rich kid (who probably didn't do much wrong yet) and yolo submarine guy (who is on record as going "yeah i'm probably going to die on a submarine adventure" but did some meaningful good in the world and deserved to have his inevitable submarine death being "implode instantly" rather than "die suffocating amidst billionaire pee and poo")

Yeah, it's a lovely way to die regardless of whether they died slowly or quickly, but the only one of the five I feel actually bad for the is the actual oceanographer. Dude was one of the foremost experts on the Titanic and its wreck, and it sucks that the world lost such a valuable luminary and historian because some jagoff yahoo decided to Red Green his submarine together with duct tape.

The billionaire, the other billionaire, the kid who was going to become a billionaire when his dad died, and the aforementioned millionaire who built a loving submarine out of sheet metal and Xbox controllers? Not so much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Nah, the Juicero was a beast. Completely overengineered.

This poo poo is a homercar of ineptitude.
Or rather, was.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

the aforementioned millionaire who built a loving submarine out of sheet metal and Xbox controllers.

They'd be alive if he'd built the sub out of Nintendium.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I can't help but feel that then being alive enough to bang on the walls with a day and half to rescue them is the absolute worst outcome here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I can't help but feel that then being alive enough to bang on the walls with a day and half to rescue them is the absolute worst outcome here.

Hopefully they're in a relatively stable position so that the banging can be pinpointed relatively easily and they can try to get a rescue/support ship to them in maybe barely the nick of time. If they're on the surface and just drifting in the ocean currents, that's actually probably the shittiest outcome because they'd actually be in a much more survivable position... IF THEY WEREN'T loving BOLTED INTO THE AIR-TIGHT SUB FROM THE OUTSIDE HOLY poo poo

So it could very well be they could find the sub bobbing around on the surface like a cork because its emergency ballast actually did work, but lol it turned into a loving air tight coffin thanks to perma-sealed hatch.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

reptilians posted:

My theory is that submarines are an object that has a platonic ideal (ie they’re arguably the opposite of airplanes, and there are submarine lego sets on the market, so it’s different from something like a unicycle, which has no lego set , purpose, or opposing vehicle) and this particular submarine sunk because it strayed too far from that form (no periscope tower thing or giant singular propeller on the back for instance)

This made me laugh really, really, really hard.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
Man I hope there’s another groversub incident tomorrow because this kept me from doing work all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

For what it's worth, it's pretty uncertain that the banging was even them. There's a lot of sound bouncing around out in the ocean. My guess is their lovely rear end hull/insufficiently rated porthole gave out and they imploded.