Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i want to buy a box of something to crack open with my dad on father's day but nothing looks great so far in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Allen and Ginter is always fun to me As you never know whats going to turn up

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I love A&G but the 2022 set's non-MLB section is a Boomer's Who's Who of "who the gently caress is this?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's not really unusual though....even going back to the earlier sets there were always random personalities and athletes

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Trust me I know, my current grail is a 2011 A&G Guy Fieri auto

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't done it in years but I used to mail those cards to some of the random people in the set and get them signed. I have Guy Fieri, Danica Patrick, Joe Frazier, John Wooden, Les Miles, a bunch of different people.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Mob posted:

I love A&G but the 2022 set's non-MLB section is a Boomer's Who's Who of "who the gently caress is this?"

Goddamn, Cypress Hill have individual cards? That is fuckin’ insane.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I pulled an Alice Cooper autograph last year!

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Goddamn, Cypress Hill have individual cards? That is fuckin’ insane.

Insane in the membrane

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
need the charlie sheen/martin sheen dual auto

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anyone remember those MLB showdown cards? i had a binder full of these but never learned how to actually play, but i heard it wasnt very good

they should bring these back but make it a better game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah my friends and I played it back in the day

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

anyone remember those MLB showdown cards? i had a binder full of these but never learned how to actually play, but i heard it wasnt very good

it was actually very good at simulating the batter/pitcher duel-matchup but wasn't actually fun to play as like, a card game. some neat ideas and a d20 were involved but it was never gonna be like, the next Magic

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Someone made little 3d baseball guys too, under a similar kind of game for a year or two.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm an idiot that bought 3x the Ohtani cards I planned to buy, and as I dug into the rabbit hole more I saw Fanatics sells these cool framed photos with various MLB memorabilia. This one in particular has stopped me from looking any more:
https://www.fanatics.com/mlb/los-an...+z-9-3231764936

Like, I saw some with parts of game used balls (they don't say if the ball has any significance with the player, I'm guessing not), but DIRT? Game used dirt is a thing? Or is that all they could negotiate for with the MLB?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah there were cards that came out a number of years ago with dirt from like Fenway

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

I have been trying to remember what this game was for ages, thank you!! I distinctly remember playing this on the beach with my Dad. Game was not great but I'm fascinated by the idea of a tabletop baseball game.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AsInHowe posted:

Someone made little 3d baseball guys too, under a similar kind of game for a year or two.

Do you mean Sportsclix?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Also, 1998 Skybox had a game you could play with cards you pulled.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is looking to grab a Luis Arraez rookie card, it's a shockingly low pop modern rookie card. He only has 2 true rookie cards, 1 in 2019 Topps Update and 1 in 2019 Topps Chrome Update. That's it.

Vlad Guerrero Jr, the biggest 2019 rookie base card, appeared in at least 32 different Topps/Bowman sets and has hundreds of additional rookie year cards. There's over 55k Vlad Jr cards graded by PSA. There's only about 3k Arraez cards.

If Arraez is for real, that scarcity would do some wild things to his card prices lol.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Hell yea I grabbed a couple last year cause I thought he was cool. I hope I make some money!!!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Had a stupid idea for a collection: HOFers in non-baseball attire

Are there any other notable examples?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Lmao I need that ichiro card

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is he wearing that suit as part of a character or a joke or something? I must know.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That's how he dressed in his free time

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
no that's not three six year olds in a suit, it's ichiro

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Lester Shy posted:

I had a Ken Griffey Jr and a Frank Thomas Arena Hologram card. Each had them in a tux I think. Lost them years ago but thought it was a cool look.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

My first thought was some of the early Donruss Studio cards, but they mostly had team gear. The 1992 Bowmans, such as with the Rivera card, had more laid back photos IIRC. Bowman was in such short supply in 1992 that I rarely saw them in person.

If you want someting absurd, find some Fleer Pro Visions cards with the artistic representations.

e: Just spotted the Glavine

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 20, 2023

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Red posted:

Do you mean Sportsclix?

YES

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Something new, something old

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just entered my Bo Bichette home run challenge card for the 7/21 game against Seattle.

This way if Bo goes yard and we lose, I'll still get something cool out of the deal.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mob posted:

The Panini 3 & 2 Redemption I got in a break of Wander RPA ruby /5 got delivered this week, just two weeks after I hit the 120-day mark and they sent the "hey want a substitute?" email and I hit "No thanks, I'll wait"

It's up on eBay now (it's 4/5) and this is probably the nicest patch I've ever pulled

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress it really sucks that Topps didn't give Bonds a heavy lumber insert in 2023 flagship

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Lester Shy posted:

Hitting singles and ready to mingle.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Figured I'd post this here as well. Not sports (well it has Magic Johnson), but I picked up an uncut sheet of Eclipse Enterprises' 1993 AIDS Awareness trading cards. Behold -

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

Figured I'd post this here as well. Not sports (well it has Magic Johnson), but I picked up an uncut sheet of Eclipse Enterprises' 1993 AIDS Awareness trading cards. Behold -

Was there not a Rock Hudson card?

I mean, you'd think they'd have room for him since the set has some filler guys, such as Jonas Salk. Was there maybe another sheet? This seemed to cover just about all the big names associated with AIDS in that era, though.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Was there not a Rock Hudson card?

I mean, you'd think they'd have room for him since the set has some filler guys, such as Jonas Salk. Was there maybe another sheet? This seemed to cover just about all the big names associated with AIDS in that era, though.

he's hiding in there. it's like where's waldo

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Anyone planning to go to the National in Chicago this year? As a hockey guy who doesn't spend high end money I don't usually get too much, but there's so much there that I'll never see again in person that it's still a fun experience.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ohtani had a killer night. 10Ks and 3/3 hitting (2 HR, 1 walk).

I bought like two more cards this evening because I'm an imbecile. I stopped buying PSA 10 on high pop cards though, and I'm finding out very quickly that PSA 8/9 are incredible values compared to their 10s.

I think I caught a deal earlier tonight (I'm the $26 one):

All of these sold within 1-2 hours of each other, it's pretty incredible seeing that people just add specific auctions to their watch list and ignore everything else. For all intents and purposes all of these cards are identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Nice pick up! Good call on the 8/9 grading. If there’s a specific card I want just for me to keep, I’ll search CSG or BGS for it. Similar condition but usually much cheaper.