Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The other thing about Mando is that, originally, it had to be it's own self-contained thing. They weren't allowed to touch any of the big names of Star Wars, so they had to do their own thing.

Once they were successful and liked, they were allowed to play with all the toys - for the worse. Filoni couldn't help himself and started bringing back his Clone Wars action figures to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah everything I've heard about Mandalorian development it hasn't been disney making anything worse.

It started off barely getting a green light to go ahead. Disney wasn't sure if it'd do well at all, but they wanted something live action star wars and the pitch was there and didn't seem too expensive. But they were kept on a pretty tight leash with regards to what they could reference or change/do to the 'canon'.

It was only after it became a huge hit that disney said 'okay, you clearly know what you're doing. You have free reign'' and that's when the cameos started and spinoffs prepared and characters showing up.

Ironically the leash was what made most (goons) like it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Vim Fuego posted:

Gina Carano is very pretty and extremely bad at acting. This show kinda reminds me of Hercules and Xena in a good way. Also lol at the Army of Darkness staff fighting homage

She's terrible, but Soderbergh made it work. And she's still better than Ronda!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

porfiria posted:

Yeah Carano isn't great but can definitely work with the right stuff and team. Rousey is just absolute poo poo. The most hilarious was when they had her voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI. Like even in a series that embraces stoic stupidity and all that she's noticeably awful compared to everyone else.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The more Mandalorians show up the worse the show gets. It's like taking a spaghetti western but making half the characters Clint Eastwood, and also there are children Clint Eastwoods and they all smoke cigarillos and wear a poncho because of some loving backstory

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The more Mandalorians show up the worse the show gets. It's like taking a spaghetti western but making half the characters Clint Eastwood, and also there are children Clint Eastwoods and they all smoke cigarillos and wear a poncho because of some loving backstory

Yeah like I thought the Clone Wars were over

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love that mandolorian shows that the protagonist comic oft near fatal stupidity is a trait the entire cult endeavors for in season three
Dude that beach has been invaded by people eating monsters on the reg, you can move!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Really S3 of Mando just looked and felt so cheap. Like a 90’s cable show. The acting was stilted, the “flow” and sense of location was nonexistent, and no attempt is made to hide use of the Volume. Season 1&2 did a real good job of hiding the limitations of the Volume through well made cinematography. But season 3 is just amateur. It’s like they’re not even trying to hide the fact everyone is cramped together in a little room, or the fact they can’t zoom out the camera.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
So, sounds like skip season 3. Is season 2 worth watching?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Do they explain how mandalorians became a weird cult religion thing in the show or was that in rebels? Never got the vibe from clone wars

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's really funny that in real life the idea that the same species/planet could have multiple cultures is a no brainer but in something like Star Wars it feels like a retcon or inconsistency because race=personality is such a big part of the genre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Do they explain how mandalorians became a weird cult religion thing in the show or was that in rebels? Never got the vibe from clone wars

It's not in Rebels either.

A lot of stuff in Mando the Show was created for the show and some bits sit oddly with previous depictions. Bo-Katan feels like different character and while a decade full of bad poo poo happening can certainly explain that it's never really addressed. Pretty much every mandalorian we see on the show has ties to Death Watch but the Armourer brushes that aside in S3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

So, sounds like skip season 3. Is season 2 worth watching?

Season 2 is a step down from season 1 but overall has some very cool stuff in it and is worth watching through. It also like season 1 is mostly noticeably better looking than any of the other live action Star Wars stuff that's come out besides Andor.

Season 1 REALLY sold me on the volume as a cool way to do effects heavy stuff though, but season 3 and Obi-Wan especially really showcased the limits of it if you don't put the time into it.

It kind of reminds me of how they abruptly killed Yoda in Return of the Jedi because they didn't want to deal with filming Yoda anymore - EVERYTHING on Dagobah's set, the props, the lighting, the camera placement, the entire production is built around "make Yoda look convincing". With some of these live action show you can tell they were mega rush jobs or otherwise not fully planned out but with something like the Volume you immediately see that come through in the visuals. But instead of saying "we're not using the Volume for this season" they just rolled with it. Andor looks so good because of all the sets and dressed up location shooting they did where appropriate.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 19, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah everything I've heard about Mandalorian development it hasn't been disney making anything worse.

It started off barely getting a green light to go ahead. Disney wasn't sure if it'd do well at all, but they wanted something live action star wars and the pitch was there and didn't seem too expensive. But they were kept on a pretty tight leash with regards to what they could reference or change/do to the 'canon'.

It was only after it became a huge hit that disney said 'okay, you clearly know what you're doing. You have free reign'' and that's when the cameos started and spinoffs prepared and characters showing up.

Ironically the leash was what made most (goons) like it.

Huh, I stand corrected then.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not in Rebels either.

A lot of stuff in Mando the Show was created for the show and some bits sit oddly with previous depictions. Bo-Katan feels like different character and while a decade full of bad poo poo happening can certainly explain that it's never really addressed. Pretty much every mandalorian we see on the show has ties to Death Watch but the Armourer brushes that aside in S3.

Wow that’s hosed LOL

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

The way I understood it was that the culty mandalorians were just a smaller, stupidly orthodox sect within the mandalorian culture. Why we should feel any sympathy for them is beyond me though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

the animated clone wars' portrayal of the mandalorians was george lucas extensively dunking on jango fett and the various older EU material (mostly from karen traviss) that huffs and puffs about how great the mandalorians were and how all the clones are just like the mandalorians,

it turns out those dipshits couldn't run a government so they fell apart decades before the movies, and obi-wan's cool girlfriend ruled the planet until the empire wrecked it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
oh man it just got bad :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ungulateman posted:

Obi-wan's cool girlfriend ruled the planet until the empire wrecked it

The fact she hasn't even been mentioned in live action despite being Obi-wan's ex and Bo-Katan's sister/rival is pretty funny.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The scene where the redhead mandalorian lays into him with exposition on the boat. no bueno. I can see if the series devotes a lot of time to uh, who's gonna be queen of planet mandalore, that's a big distraction from its strengths.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Season 3 was fun and I liked it. I’m glad I got to learn about the mandolorians and it was sweet when grogu said No.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Learn what? None of it makes any loving sense

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

feedmyleg posted:

Learn what? None of it makes any loving sense

Learned they like weapons and posing on beaches. Also that they have a big forge underground. I’m glad they got to come back together and head home. And leg rockets are good too.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Another part of the whole amateur hour feel of season three is the epic planetary reconquista that consists of maybe 15 people in a small cave. And the just complete lack of action choreography outside maybe the pirate episode. If you told me they had their budget slashed I’d believe you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

The scene where the redhead mandalorian lays into him with exposition on the boat. no bueno. I can see if the series devotes a lot of time to uh, who's gonna be queen of planet mandalore, that's a big distraction from its strengths.

You're gonna love season 3 lol

galagazombie posted:

Another part of the whole amateur hour feel of season three is the epic planetary reconquista that consists of maybe 15 people in a small cave. And the just complete lack of action choreography outside maybe the pirate episode. If you told me they had their budget slashed I’d believe you.

For real, when I saw cheaper moments it made and as that was building up I was thinking like oh yeah that makes sense now there's gonna be this huge battle to take back their planet and that's where the budget went. Whelp.

I liked season 3 a lot overall but I think the non-Mando episodes earlier on like the stuff with Pershing and those other characters working out their long term plans was more interesting than the main storyline.

The Lizzo/Jack Black planet was cool though, it was nice to have a break for some incredibly dorky yarn that would have been at home in the 70s/80s Star Wars Marvel comics or whatever.

I enjoyed season 3 overall even if it was a step down from 1 and 2 though, it didn't really rub me the wrong way the way Obi-Wan and Book of Boba Fett did.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 20, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

galagazombie posted:

Mostly agreed, though the bit in the last episode where Mando has to go through those energy gates fighting more and more bad guys is probably the cleverest action setpiece the show has done.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The orange gal only knew one being like Grogu? This is Yaddle erasure

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am really looking forward to Ahsoka, she was my favorite character from TCW. And hers was my favorite episode of Mando S2.

I hope they get this right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Following recent discussion, I've caught up on Manderlorian Season 3.

The main, glaring failure of the season is that it's absolutely frontloaded with exposition. Fully half of the episodes are spent telling you what will eventually happen, interrupted with dumb padding like the de rigeur low-stakes gunfights. Skip episodes 1, 3, 4, and 5, and you will have shortened the season to a manageable length and missed basically nothing of importance.

The good news is that episode 2 and six are Dope, while the last two episodes are Actually Pretty Good*, and provide a solid end-point for to the entire series. If everything after this sucks, this is a nice place to exit.

Full SMg Manderlorian Watchlist that cuts out all the stupid tie-in garbage, while still maintaining narrative continuity:

Season One: Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5.
Season Two: Chapters 10, 11, 13.
Boba Fett: Chapter 5.
Season Three: Chapters 18, 22, 23, 24.

*The only major flaw is that Episode 7 (AKA Chapter 23) opens with massive dump of gratuitous sequel-teaser expository dialogue. If you can forgive that, the rest is aight.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The mandalorians being few in number would be cool and good if they just... put forth more effort to make all of them seem awesome. Instead most of rhem feel like lame idiot losers, I guess to make the main ones seem better.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KittyEmpress posted:

The mandalorians being few in number would be cool and good if they just... put forth more effort to make all of them seem awesome. Instead most of rhem feel like lame idiot losers, I guess to make the main ones seem better.

The pirate episode did a good enough job making them seem like a cool team of space commandos, but yeah outside of that episode they just kinda stood in place wildly firing their blasters like every other group of henchmen. Even Mando himself did it since they took away all his fun weapons like the writers hated having to choreograph him doing anything besides shooting a pistol.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I couldn't make it through the Season 3 finale. I was bored senseless. They had utterly lost me. The action choreography being incredibly low rent and late 90s Canadian TV caliber was a big part of it.

80s Ewok shows, Mandalorian Season 1 and Andor Season 1 are the only good TV Star Wars. I have spoken.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

porfiria posted:

Steven soderbergh is working on star wars tv shows?? Good grief.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MrMojok posted:

I am really looking forward to Ahsoka, she was my favorite character from TCW. And hers was my favorite episode of Mando S2.

I hope they get this right.

Have you seen Rebels? Because this is supposed to be a direct sequel picking up right where it left off (weird that they didn't just make it an animated series then though)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Larryb posted:

Have you seen Rebels? Because this is supposed to be a direct sequel picking up right where it left off (weird that they didn't just make it an animated series then though)

I haven’t seen season 3/4. I really need to finish those.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

FunkyAl posted:

Steven soderbergh is working on star wars tv shows?? Good grief.

They’re referring to Soderberg making Gina Carano work as a lead actress in 2011’s Haywire (which I’d agree is a pretty good movie).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Haywire is tremendous

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
In the Robert Rodriguez directed episode: wow are the stormtroopers bad at tactics! They come in two armed transports and their enemy had no anti ship weapons. Instead of just strafing them to death they walk out with no concealment, straight uphill into the guns. Good ep tho

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
haha what the gently caress how many pirates are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
o god luke's face