Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It would be insane if the ultimate result of the counter-offensive is that, in desperate need of some good news PR, they start feeding their trained troops & equipment back into Bakhmut

But this time from the position of offense, into a fortified city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Last night alone, more than 30 Shaheds were shot down, and now Ukraine's warriors in the south and in the east are very actively destroying the enemy, physically clearing Ukraine.

https://www.president.gov.ua/en/news/vidbudovana-zmicnena-ukrayina-ce-zahishenist-vid-bud-yakih-f-83693

A rebuilt and strengthened Ukraine means protection against all forms of Russian terror - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy
20 June 2023 - 22:01

First of all, I thank our Air Force and all the defenders of the sky from our other defense forces for every downed Russian missile and Shahed. Last night alone, more than 30 Shaheds were shot down. These are hundreds of saved lives, saved infrastructure. Thank you, warriors!

Now our warriors in the south and in the east are very actively destroying the enemy, physically clearing Ukraine. This will continue in the future.

Protection against terror means the destruction of terrorists. And it is a guarantee that the evil state will never again have the opportunity to bring evil to Ukraine. This is what the third point is about today. The first meetings have already begun in London in the framework of the conference on Ukraine's recovery, which we have been preparing together with our British friends. Discussions have already taken place in Switzerland and Germany, in France and Italy. There is work at various levels for our recovery. And we are directing this work in such a way that our reconstruction, our recovery will become not only construction projects, but also a global project of protection.

I intercepted those shaheds with my face, making me the victor.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RadiRoot posted:

biden announcing sanctions on sa very soon.

kinda harsh that jeffrey will wake up some day and find that his assets have been frozen all of a sudden

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RadiRoot posted:

biden announcing sanctions on sa very soon.

Only if the factional conflict gets really out of hand.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

kinda harsh that jeffrey will wake up some day and find that his assets have been frozen all of a sudden

jeffrey still exists?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RadiRoot posted:

jeffrey still exists?

the cspam feedback thread managed to summon him once by accident

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The MIC industry PowerPoints is all about how their incredibly expensive things are cost-saving. Everyone in the MIC knows they are not, but when you put "this is better AND way cheaper than what you have now" in front of a government official that you haven't bribed, they will find it very hard to go to their boss and argue not to do something the MIC promises is cheaper.

Liberalism demands cost-cutting. It doesn't care if it is actually more money, just that you make every effort to cut costs. Infantry weapons are easy to cut: they're unnecessary when you have air dominance. That having air dominance is expensive does not enter into this equation: a particular person's job is ensuring cost-cutting in infantry, and they see air exists, so they do it.

The cost-cutting person in air, is also doing cost-cutting. The F-22 was supposed to be cheap. The F-35 was advertised as cheaper than F-16s in the early days of the program. Today, twitter serves me Pratt & Whitney ads that talk about how an engine refit for F-35s "saves $40 billion over program lifecycle".

The people who know it's more expensive are either already being paid by the MIC, or have been promised MIC consulting "jobs" after retirement as a reward. Everyone else is forbidden from doing the math or questioning the PowerPoints.

Remembering things is forbidden

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HiroProtagonist posted:

Remembering things is forbidden

There is no history book that cannot be rewritten.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

https://twitter.com/onlydjole/status/1670167256217550852?s=20

Wait, so if I'm reading this correctly, the deep strike actually worked, brought Ukraine to the negotiating table, and almost signed a peace that would give Russia what it wanted while not being particularly worse for Ukraine with, what, a few hundred deaths all told?

And then the west stepped in with desperate promises of unlimited weapons, money, and sanctions to destroy the peace and touch off a hugely destructive war that Ukraine is almost certainly going to come out of far worse than it went into. Amazing.

I saw this idea being floated around when this happened - along with this also being the reason a large amount of russian forces just kinda sat around doing nothing for a while.

Is there any evidence for it other than circumstantial/this letter that Putin is waving around?

It does seem the sort of thing the west would do/be behind, but it also seems like it could just be the Russians making excuses.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Neurolimal posted:

It would be insane if the ultimate result of the counter-offensive is that, in desperate need of some good news PR, they start feeding their trained troops & equipment back into Bakhmut

well I think re-capturing Bakhmut would come with it's own set of challenges, maybe it's a good idea if the area around Bakhmut (to the west and the north) hasn't been incorporated into the Russian defensive line? At the very least they haven't had the opportunity to prepare the ground to the same extent as what exists in the south of the country if for no other reason that the ground has constantly been under threat from the presence of Ukrainian artillery. I'm sure they could lay some mines and create some trenches but I think it would likely be less formidable than the stuff they spent 6 months preparing 10k behind the front line.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Jun 21, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Officer Sandvich posted:

And unlike the passive Russian populace

:chloe:

16-bit Butt-Head has issued a correction as of 08:48 on Jun 21, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

RadiRoot posted:

jeffrey still exists?

jeffrey is real and he works for the russian government i saw him kissing putin once

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

fatelvis posted:

I saw this idea being floated around when this happened - along with this also being the reason a large amount of russian forces just kinda sat around doing nothing for a while.

Is there any evidence for it other than circumstantial/this letter that Putin is waving around?

It does seem the sort of thing the west would do/be behind, but it also seems like it could just be the Russians making excuses.

One point in the story's favor is that its literally the same playbook Russia ran in Georgia in 2008 under very similar circumstances, but I don't think we've seen any internal memos saying 'Don't bother gassing up the tanks, this is just a decapitation feint to get them to the negotiating table'.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

mad?

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Majorian posted:

Field Marshal Mayor Pete will lead Ukraine to victory.

Now that he's promoted, he surely won't surrender, despite the encirclement. No US Field Marshal has ever surrendered.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fatelvis posted:

its probably a lil of A a lil of B. clearly the russian army is there for pressure in negotiations, but also russia never actually bottled up kyiv. so it sounds good to say we pulled back in good faith instead of it was a failure and the draft treaty would never happened because they didn't have the leverage to actually force the deal. The west clearly was invested in continuing the conflict ofc. BOJO. It's largely useful rhetorically for showing russian wasn't invested in going insane murder orc genocide on ukraine or whatever bullshit was the propganda of the day back then.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
all the numerous UA threads, it all really depends on how much you value sovereignty, nationalist ideas, democracy etc. to a cspammer the idea that Ukraine is a sovereign country is a clear joke, their national identity is a joke/slapdash construction (and is a joke to everybody truly outside of surface level confirmations. its evidenced on both sides of the conflict with russia being like wtf your more russian then anything / as NATO countries pat UA on the back say your truly european, give them weapons, and say by the way we're not letting you into our house) and democracy aspect... cmon. so this deal while humilating in a national aspect makes clear sense in not sending a fuckton of ppl into the mulcher.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"rationalization" is one of those euphemisms whose real meaning is impossible to unlearn once you start seeing it everywhere

It's a great word because people assume it has to do with rationality (popular) but actually it has to do with rationing (not popular).

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Homeless Friend posted:

all the numerous UA threads, it all really depends on how much you value sovereignty, nationalist ideas, democracy etc. to a cspammer the idea that Ukraine is a sovereign country is a clear joke, their national identity is a joke/slapdash construction (and is a joke to everybody truly outside of surface level confirmations. its evidenced on both sides of the conflict with russia being like wtf your more russian then anything / as NATO countries pat UA on the back say your truly european, give them weapons, and say by the way we're not letting you into our house) and democracy aspect... cmon. so this deal while humilating in a national aspect makes clear sense in not sending a fuckton of ppl into the mulcher.

the sort of fuzzy ideas about sovereignty involved here are also highly interesting - it appears that sovereignty is a value simultaneously worth sacrificing hundreds of thousands of lives for with limited hope of success and a silly luxury which is unaffordable in a cruel world. the whole discussion around ukraine is sort of pretend-principled and uses its righteousness to disguise what's actually going on, which is a substantive expression of geopolitical preference. it's a loving nightmare from which there seems to be no escape - the entire press outside of, like, the New Left Review is captured by this in one way or the other.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

bakhmut II? lets do it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

generally, people in western societies are terrified of engaging in substantive reasoning and much prefer to think formally. it was not always thus, but i suspect that the ever-increasing tendency towards intellectual rationalisation (in the sense that orange devil describes above) has something to do with this - liberalism is eroding our capacity to think explicitly in terms of preference and interest in favour of an ever-increasing emphasis on analytical categories even when those categories make no coherent sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
another banger from Gunther Fuhrerhitler

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1671398046880415744

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

wait he's saying america is holding ukraine back?

lmao how

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does that guy form a coherent vision of reality in his mind, I cannot fathom it at all

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
🇺🇸 🔪 🇺🇦

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

lmao how

You hear indistinct mumbling. Listening closer you can just make out the words "manoeuvre warfare".

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Slavvy posted:

How does that guy form a coherent vision of reality in his mind, I cannot fathom it at all

why go through the trouble of doing that? just vibe. if you're feeling unsure, post a selfie and get affirmation

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yellowcar posted:

lmao how

like the time in vietnam

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great news for Ukraine - The Pentagon has the budget to send an extra USD 6,000,000.000 (United States Dollars Six Billion) in arms to the Ukraine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/21/extra-6bn-in-us-arms-for-ukraine-after-accounting-error

Extra $6bn in US arms for Ukraine after ‘accounting error’
Wed 21 Jun 2023 01.41 BST

The Pentagon says it has overestimated the value of the weapons it has sent to Ukraine by $6.2bn – about double early estimates – resulting in a surplus that will be used for future security packages.

A detailed review of the accounting error found that the replacement cost was used rather than the book value of equipment that was pulled from stocks, said Pentagon spokeswoman Sabrina Singh.

The Pentagon previously made a similar announcement, in May, that it had overestimated the value of the ammunition, missiles and other equipment by about $3bn, and the figure could grow with further investigation. On Tuesday, Singh said final calculations showed there was an error of $3.6bn in the current fiscal year and $2.6bn in the 2022 fiscal year, which ended on 30 September.

As a result, the department has additional money to use to support Ukraine as it pursues its counteroffensive against Russia. It come as the fiscal year is wrapping up and congressional funding was beginning to dwindle.

“It’s just going to go back into the pot of money that we have allocated for the future Pentagon stock drawdowns,” said Singh.

The Pentagon has repeatedly used presidential drawdown authority to pull weapons, ammunition and other equipment off the shelves, so that it can get to Ukraine far more quickly than going through a purchase process.

Based on previous estimates announced on 13 June, the US had committed more than $40bn in security assistance to Ukraine since Russia invaded. Using the new calculation, the US has actually provided less than $34bn in aid.

Members of Congress have repeatedly pressed defence department leaders on how closely the US is tracking its aid to Ukraine to ensure that it is not subject to fraud or ending up in the wrong hands. The Pentagon has said it has a “robust programme” to track the aid as it crosses the border into Ukraine and to keep tabs on it once it is there, depending on the sensitivity of each weapons system.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

how do you make "the decisive encirclement" if you cannot penetrate the "indefensible" lines?

i guess all western military thinking truly was irreparably poisoned by Nazis after WW2

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
US, 2022 - We're keeping track of all the stuff we send Ukraine. Not one bit is going where it is not supposed to.
US, 2023 - We couldn't even keep our books straight and yeah, I'm thinkin' I got 6 billion more dollars.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, the russians must be real good if they can hold a completely indefensible position this easily

also i like that the stab-in-the-back myth is being constructed right before our eyes, gonna be p funny to see what the end result will be

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We must unleash Chiang Kai-zelensky

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cerebral Bore posted:

drat, the russians must be real good if they can hold a completely indefensible position this easily

also i like that the stab-in-the-back myth is being constructed right before our eyes, gonna be p funny to see what the end result will be

another decade of security and defence spending rubber stamped by congress

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FallenGod posted:

how do you make "the decisive encirclement" if you cannot penetrate the "indefensible" lines?

i guess all western military thinking truly was irreparably poisoned by Nazis after WW2

The ultimate western tank will have a 200mm recoilless railgun that costs 10 million per shot, 2mm thick aluminium armor that dents when you lean on it, requires the entire crew wear AR goggles 100% of the time or it automatically shuts down due to a software license violation and is entirely solar powered.

All that matters is speed and manoeuvre. Blitzkrieg! Gotta go fast!

This message bought to you by Rhinemetal, Apple, HP and Tesla.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

DancingShade posted:

The ultimate western tank will have a 200mm recoilless railgun that costs 10 million per shot, 2mm thick aluminium armor that dents when you lean on it, requires the entire crew wear AR goggles 100% of the time or it automatically shuts down due to a software license violation and is entirely solar powered.

All that matters is speed and manoeuvre. Blitzkrieg! Gotta go fast!

This message bought to you by Rhinemetal, Apple, HP and Tesla.

each crew member must log in with their personal account to receive personalised combat recommendations

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tazjin posted:

each crew member must log in with their personal account to receive personalised combat recommendations

And each account requires a seperate subscription service and an always online connection.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

another decade of security and defence spending rubber stamped by congress

you don't need no myth to get that outcome, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
wagner is reportedly recruiting tankers and in coordination with gaijin is giving sign up bonuses in silver lions