Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
facebook is a wasteland of "suggested for you" horseshit now

probably because people I know stopped posting on it i guess

"suggested for you: people are talking about heartbreaking things they noticed rewatching the harry potter movies!" i'll pass thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I stopped using facebook 8 or 9 years ago because it had devolved into everyone reposting the worst memes you've ever seen and I hadn't seen anyone make an actual post for months, I can't imagine what it looks like now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Deleting my facebook account has made me measurably happier.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

aniviron posted:

Speaking of the impending ruination, Discord released this post today about the way they're suggesting everyone starts to monetize their communities: https://discord.com/blog/server-subscriptions-updates-media-channels-tier-templates-and-more

looks like they're adding a patreon style model servers can use, i don't really have a huge problem with that. i've seen youtuber discords that basically already had that kind of thing setup with bots, where they had channels only available to subscribers or patreon supporters.

the things that will kill discord are algorithzation, plastering ads everywhere, or killing the API like twitter and reddit are doing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hammerite posted:

youtube and suchlike never provide a button to turn off autoplay any more

i want to listen to that song again NO YOU MAY NOT, YOU MUST WATCH THE NEXT VIDEO

Yes they do? It's the little slider to the left of the subtitle button, under the progress bar.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Jestery posted:

Windows media player asking me to pay to play mkv files

VLC doing something with subscription models
for local media i really like mpc be. you can get it from the microsoft store here;

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mpcbe/9PD88QB3BGKN?hl=en-us&gl=us&rtc=1

personally i dont have a microsoft account and if you don't either you can get it here;

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hasturtium posted:

Imgur turned from a perfectly nice, no bullshit image hosting service to a venture capital- poisoned and JavaScript-infested pig that fights like hell to keep you from downloading original fidelity images on mobile, and just got done dumping NSFW content as well as images not linked to an account. It’s also owned by the same loser holding company shepherding World Star Hip Hop and various other never-quite-broke-escape-velocity properties to a walking death. It’s just so gross visiting now - go to see a picture or a gallery, and it’s a pastel spew of memetic LOOK AT ME fringing what you came for on all sides.

So I used to upload via browser even while I was on mobile. They took away that option to make you use the app. I try the app and HEY, it freezes me out of absolutely anything I try to upload and now I gotta go through Minigmur to upload a drat picture on there if I'm on my phone. Only Minigmur doesn't let you upload videos, so I gotta go get on my desktop if I wanna do that.

I USED TO BE ABLE TO JUST USE IMGUR TO DO THESE THINGS.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

holefoods posted:

I stopped using facebook 8 or 9 years ago because it had devolved into everyone reposting the worst memes you've ever seen and I hadn't seen anyone make an actual post for months, I can't imagine what it looks like now.

I still use Facebook for events and stuff but it's only useful on desktop because of an extension called social fixer.

When I have to open it up on my phone to look up when or where an event or something is happening the full Facebook experience is mind bogglingly horrible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-is-killing-most-of-fitbits-social-features-today/

It's so blatant how Google bought Fitbit just to take them off the board. Like, their products weren't great to begin with, but probably fitness+very basic phone interface is a good enough market segment if they price against a full blown smartwatch accordingly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Serves those fuckers right for killing pebble

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Pebble.was so good :(

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i picked up a pint of so called ice cream at the supermarket and it was so light and whipped with air that i surprise dropped it and it just kept floating there right where i left it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
MacOS Ventura taking literally 20x longer to copy files to a USB 2.0 flash drive than Monterey, or even loving Snow Leopard. Don't "prepare to copy" files for 10 minutes, just copy them! And also no longer registering the SD card reader built into my USB hub after the system update.

And while we're on the subject of lovely Ventura changes, bye-bye iTunes, hello Music. Okay, let's give it a try - hang on, why can't I sync playlists from my phone to the computer any more, but only the other way? Everything in Music on the phone gets wiped next time I sync, so you mean I have to recreate all my playlists from scratch if I want to sync any new music? And I can't choose not to sync specific songs (like lesser album tracks) by clicking a button, but have to delete them from the app entirely? Woo, yeah, great update, that makes the user experience so much better.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Media plays that come with OS's tend to be garbage. Like You really don't need to do much why are you so garbage.

The best ones just come with VLC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

you can still get dumb TVs on amazon and stuff

theres parts of the world that do have enough wealth for people to have decently sized home TVs but where not everyone has a home internet connection. so long as that continues being the case (and with how slow internet rollout is in most countries, it probably will be) there'll always be a market for that sort of thing

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I am dreading the day my TV dies, it was the last generation of dumb TV and I know when I seek a replacement it’ll have to be a smart TV with smart features like data mining and ads that play between screen modes and rear end firmware apps that don’t work and

Just use a monitor.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pac and Cheese posted:

i picked up a pint of so called ice cream at the supermarket and it was so light and whipped with air that i surprise dropped it and it just kept floating there right where i left it

Was it actually ice cream or was it the dreaded Frozen Dairy Dessert because the latter is loving horrible and it should be a crime to fool consumers like that.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i didn't read the fine print on that blasphemous convection and it probably would have been all lies anyway

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Nah, it's actually illegal to put more than 50% air in a product labeled ice cream, which is why frozen dairy dessert is a thing.

"Premium ice cream" is required to be even denser than that.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
yeah maybe in your country where the ice cream doesn't start floating and following you around with a huge gust of warm air propelling it (convection wasn't a typo) calling you slurs behind your back, don't know if that last part happened and i didn't stick around to find out

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol I went out for dinner last night and had a special request to change the sauce of the sandwich I wanted and to toss the chicken in it. instead of just writing this on the check and/or telling the kitchen, the waitress had to do it on the order tablet they now use. my sandwich came with no sauce at all and I had to ask for a cup of sauce to pour it on instead of having it tossed. loving stupid as poo poo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Endorph posted:

you can still get dumb TVs on amazon and stuff

theres parts of the world that do have enough wealth for people to have decently sized home TVs but where not everyone has a home internet connection. so long as that continues being the case (and with how slow internet rollout is in most countries, it probably will be) there'll always be a market for that sort of thing
My smart TV just did an unasked-for update and now when I turn it on it goes to the homepage trying to get me to sign up to streaming services I don't want and watch shows I have no interest in, rather than just staying on HDMI1 where I left it so I can continue to watch the BR boxset that's the only thing I've done with the TV for weeks.

Cracked dot com - used to have at least some entertaining and interesting content. Now? "Here are jokes 10 random people on Twitter made about a subject, illustrated with a screengrab of their Tweet."

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Payndz posted:

My smart TV just did an unasked-for update and now when I turn it on it goes to the homepage trying to get me to sign up to streaming services I don't want and watch shows I have no interest in, rather than just staying on HDMI1 where I left it so I can continue to watch the BR boxset that's the only thing I've done with the TV for weeks.

Cracked dot com - used to have at least some entertaining and interesting content. Now? "Here are jokes 10 random people on Twitter made about a subject, illustrated with a screengrab of their Tweet."

Jesus, that last bit is grim.

Question: what happens if you buy a new smartTV and don’t let it online, only connecting to streaming services through the dongle of your choice or playing Blu-rays on it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

Jesus, that last bit is grim.

Question: what happens if you buy a new smartTV and don’t let it online, only connecting to streaming services through the dongle of your choice or playing Blu-rays on it?

The police come to your house and arrest you.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Arrhythmia posted:

The police come to your house and arrest you.

¡¿La televisión policia?!

I heard Samsung’s smart TVs are so cravenly aggressive that they’ll automatically connect to unsecured wifi to pull down ads, but mercifully there aren’t any in range of my house…

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Payndz posted:

I completely forgot I used to visit this site once or twice a week. I swear I checked in one day and it was just suddenly a bunch of poo poo rehash listicles full of spelling errors.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Payndz posted:

Tons of websites now just taking any single AITA post from reddit and turning it into a whole clickbait article, and ending it with "What do you think commenters, was the OP right or wrong?" just to drive up interaction in order to show more ads. I'm pretty sure it's automated.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cracked.com died years ago and fired all of their writers pretty unceremoniously. What’s left is just the domain being used to plug ads to anyone who happens to stop by.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
McDonald's hasn't been real food for a while now. But the Big Mac has gotten so loving tiny. Should just rename it to the Mac.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hasturtium posted:

¡¿La televisión policia?!

I heard Samsung’s smart TVs are so cravenly aggressive that they’ll automatically connect to unsecured wifi to pull down ads, but mercifully there aren’t any in range of my house…

Don’t buy a Samsung TV. If you already have one I guess turn the TVs WiFi off in the settings and use a Roku/FireTV/whatever to add smart functionality. Samsung TVs are enough of an rear end in a top hat that I’d probably block it at the router just to be sure.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

evobatman posted:

Tons of websites now just taking any single AITA post from reddit and turning it into a whole clickbait article, and ending it with "What do you think commenters, was the OP right or wrong?" just to drive up interaction in order to show more ads. I'm pretty sure it's automated.

The YouTube videos now being made from this phenomenon are otherworldly - daytime TV-level dross where people converge to determine whether someone is, or is not, an rear end in a top hat, for minutes and minutes that no one will ever get back.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 21, 2023

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

I installed an extension that blocks Youtube recommendations and it's pretty close to one of the best things I've ever done.

What’s the extension called?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago and never looked back, but with of the enshittification of online marketplace sites, I was sorta forced to recreate a Facebook account so I can browse Facebook Marketplace. If you're trying to buy an inexpensive used car, there really isnt anything better than loving Facebook.

Although to be clear, Facebook Marketplace has been enshittified as well - generally speaking, I seem to hit some random number of searches where I can no longer sort by lowest price. Once I hit that number, sorting by lowest price brings back 1-2 bullshit 0 dollar items with nothing to do with anything - for example searching for "high top van" brings back tons of vehicles in the Suggested search, lowest price first bring back two ads for people giving away kids shoes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Don’t buy a Samsung TV. If you already have one I guess turn the TVs WiFi off in the settings and use a Roku/FireTV/whatever to add smart functionality. Samsung TVs are enough of an rear end in a top hat that I’d probably block it at the router just to be sure.

Someone did block a smart tv at the router level and the tv basically self destructed because it kept trying to find a wifi that would let it get ads and it made the tv overheat.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Just use a monitor.

Hah, and they laughed and laughed.

Smart monitors are now a thing you have to watch out for.

Look on Samsung’s works, ye mighty, and despair:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

skooma512 posted:

Someone did block a smart tv at the router level and the tv basically self destructed because it kept trying to find a wifi that would let it get ads and it made the tv overheat.

Lmao I love technology

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dont worry everyone the metaverse w

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i just noticed elon musk got shittier again for no good reason

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Microscopic complaint, but I just saw the back panel on a bag of tortilla chips and under DIP IDEAS it lists the following, in its entirety:

Bean dip, sour cream, or your favorite salsa, just dip & eat.

That's it, that's their entire statement on DIP IDEAS for this product. They chose to use ink to print that on the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I had the pleasure of working on a development mode samsung TV with root access. Tizen is just weird / bad Linux and the TV was remarkably easy to render unbootable even without root.