Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Poles completely saved my knees. I just took up hiking a couple years ago during the pandemic and quickly found out doing anything with elevation over 10 miles would completely blow up the outside tendon on my right knee. I broke down and got some poles and now I'll never go without them again.

I don't have much experience with overnights and am doing my second in a couple weeks, and am just wondering what an appropriate amount of water to bring would be. It's a 20 mile loop in an area with oil extraction so there is no filterable water sources and you have to bring it all in. I was planning on 6 liters, 2 for the hike in, 2 for camp, and 2 for the hike out, but I don't know if that is enough or too much. It definitely makes my pack heavy as hell.

Outside knee pain sounds like it might be IT band syndrome, pretty common among runners. If that's what it is, you can do some PT to eventually eliminate it. Not saying don't use poles of course, just that you might have other options there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
few years back I decided I'd had enough doing super fast mountain runs around 300 other people. it's just no fun

Decided to come up with the longest hardest hike I could which is around 13 hrs running, 30 miles and 98% being over 11,000 feet. I hit 2x 12k peaks and 2x 13k ones. I called this the Lobo Peak to Wheeler traverse (in Taos Ski valley New Mexico). I run minimal using Vibram 5 fingers Vtrail 2.0s. I eat real food like Atlantic Salmon and Waygu beef because I need the calories doing this. I don't use poles or anything special really, just my legs and feet. This one is pretty brutal for myself, and I ended up throwing up for 12 hours after I got down.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s31KZAbO_w&t=766s

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

eating real food like wagyu steak

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Throwing up seems like a poor use of wagyu calories.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Verman posted:

Went on a late hike today. Didn't leave the house until 1, got to the trail head around 3.

Watched probably 5 cars fly right by this bear on the side of the road and didn't even notice. I slowed and rolled by just to make sure it didn't decide to jump out.

7 miles, only 1,700' gain. Got up to the top in a little over an hour and back down in about the same. Took zero breaks and stopped at the turnaround for an hour to hang out and look around.

All my phone pics are hosed because last week on my hike I sat down on a rock and broke the glass on my Google phone over my camera lens.

Owyhigh?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bingo.

Best part was that I started so late (3pm) that I passed the only other person on the trail who was heading back to their car less than a quarter mile from the trailhead. I had the whole place to myself.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Verman posted:

Bingo.

Best part was that I started so late (3pm) that I passed the only other person on the trail who was heading back to their car less than a quarter mile from the trailhead. I had the whole place to myself.

not saying this is you since obviously you know what you are doing.

every big hike i go on there is at least 1 person or group that I see like walking away from the lot at 6pm with nothing but a water bottle or whatever and man, i think some of those people had very long evenings in the dark.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I've got a cellphone, that ought to be plenty of light to navigate a forest in pitch black!"

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

xzzy posted:

"I've got a cellphone, that ought to be plenty of light to navigate a forest in pitch black!"

I mean 99% of the time I would say you're right. I've definitely hiked in on a trail from my car with minimal gear and a headlamp in a cargo pocket to watch the sunset from a known spot though.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

armorer posted:

I mean 99% of the time I would say you're right. I've definitely hiked in on a trail from my car with minimal gear and a headlamp in a cargo pocket to watch the sunset from a known spot though.

I know a few people like this who travel very light. I also have two separate anecdotes from folks I trust about how they had to lead strangers down trails when it started getting dark. Not everyone is an idiot, but some are.

Verman posted:

Bingo.

I gotta do more shoulder season hikes in mrnp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A real light (not cellphone) is literally one of the most important things you should have on any hike of any length/duration. The only thing more important is water.

Or maybe 12oz of A5 wagyu

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just carry the ten essentials. With the exception of water, you can fit everything else into a 1L “oh poo poo kit.” There’s really no excuse not to have this stuff on you.

edit: this thread is reminding me I need to refresh my first aid kits. Time to throw out those expired band-aids.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 20, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

not saying this is you since obviously you know what you are doing.

every big hike i go on there is at least 1 person or group that I see like walking away from the lot at 6pm with nothing but a water bottle or whatever and man, i think some of those people had very long evenings in the dark.

We were hiking out from a backpacking trip in McInnis Canyon a few weeks ago. We were there two nights and carried in 15 liters between the two of us and a dog. Water is sparse there at the best of times, and the one rivulet we saw dried up between crossing it in the morning and on the way back. We fortunately filtered from it the first time we crossed, otherwise we would have had to hike out that night instead of the next morning.

About 3/4 of a mile from the trailhead an older guy and his daughter were walking up and stopped us to ask for some directions. They were trying to get to Rattlesnake Arch, which was about a 15 mile round trip from there. It’s not a hard hike - a little bit of elevation change as you dip into and back out of a canyon or two, but nothing major - but it’s been in the 80s for the past three days we were out and it shows no signs of getting cooler. There’s also no shade, unless you can squeeze under a juniper or the sun is in just the right position against a rock formation. I asked how much water they were carrying, and the guy said 4 liters.

“Oh, each of you?”

“No, 4 liters total”

I tried to convince them to drive up through Colorado National Monument and take the much shorter back trailhead to the arches, but they hand waved me away. I went through 4L myself the day before while hiking only half that distance, and I was being careful with it. Like most things I’m sure they wound up being just fine, albeit terribly thirsty, tired, and cranky, but matching what you’re hiking with to the conditions you’re going to experience is one of the easiest ways to make hiking safer and more comfortable for yourself. I know that’s all self-evident to most everyone here, but it still boggles my mind when I run into that sort of “I don’t need to plan for bad things” mentality out in the wild.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Well we were supposed to camp up at the Strawberry Mtn Wilderness this weekend, but due to a forecast of SNOW Monday morning and having a baby and a 4yo with us, we compromised by doing a day hike up there Sunday before the weather got sour, and staying in a nearby town. Strawberry lake is incredible!

Bummed to not be camping up there but it would be frigid, bailing was probably the right call with kids. From town I can definitely see fresh snow at the altitude of the campground.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 20, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Been hiking alot (chunks of the AT and harder state parks) this year and I've gotten the brainworms that I should attempt to hike mount washington.
That's a bad idea right?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

redeyes posted:

few years back I decided I'd had enough doing super fast mountain runs around 300 other people. it's just no fun

Decided to come up with the longest hardest hike I could which is around 13 hrs running, 30 miles and 98% being over 11,000 feet. I hit 2x 12k peaks and 2x 13k ones. I called this the Lobo Peak to Wheeler traverse (in Taos Ski valley New Mexico). I run minimal using Vibram 5 fingers Vtrail 2.0s. I eat real food like Atlantic Salmon and Waygu beef because I need the calories doing this. I don't use poles or anything special really, just my legs and feet. This one is pretty brutal for myself, and I ended up throwing up for 12 hours after I got down.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s31KZAbO_w&t=766s

That looks badass. Minus the throwing up part. If you're wanting something tougher, I hear a day hike of Gannett Peak is possible. I've been thinking about doing that if I can get in slightly better shape.

Lawman 0 posted:

Been hiking alot (chunks of the AT and harder state parks) this year and I've gotten the brainworms that I should attempt to hike mount washington.
That's a bad idea right?

If you go during bad weather you're gonna have a bad time. If you're fit and go on a nice day I think you'll be okay.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have to assume if you can get to a trailhead, you probably did enough research to know the length etc and prepared accordingly. From there, you're on your own. Obviously there are always those who don't but it's an impossible task to take care of everybody and you can't be responsible for them. I can't even imagine what park/forest rangers go through knowing the average human actively make terrible decisions putting themselves further into danger.

As for strangers, I don't know their savviness for the outdoors or their physical limits. Sometimes I see people and can guess they know what they're doing but you never know. I'll always help if needed and I'll chat people up along the way. Occasionally I'll give someone a heads up if it's obvious they're in over their heads or on an especially hard/dangerous hike without proper equipment. I have seen folks trying mountaineering routes without technical equipment (crampons/ice axe), continuing on through avalanche terrain when we turned back, trying sketchy water crossings, watching people scramble things they had no business doing.

Always carry the 10 essentials in some fashion. There are light versions and super in depth versions of every item but in a survival situation, the shittiest compass or flashlight and a bic lighter can be the difference between getting home and sleeping outside for eternity.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Verman posted:

I can't even imagine what park/forest rangers go through knowing the average human actively make terrible decisions putting themselves further into danger.

Speaking for myself, all you can really do is try and give people as much information as you can and hope it all works out. When I was at Grand Canyon, we had an entire system set up with Preventive Search and Rescue (PSAR) rangers and volunteers stationed at various points along the main trails whose entire job was focused on identifying folks who clearly did not know what they were doing, educating them on alternative plans ("Oh, you're trying to go all the way to the river and back on the hottest day of the year, you've never hiked before, and you've got a single 20oz water bottle with you? Have you considered maybe turning around at the second tunnel instead?"), and radioing ahead to alert other trail rangers to keep an eye out for people that were clearly struggling. That system by itself has saved a lot of lives, but it can't save everyone. At a certain point, you've just got to accept that people are going to make bad choices no matter what information you give them, and sometimes those choices have disastrous consequences. e: And that sometimes, even if someone is informed and is making all the right choices, bad things are going to happen anyway because mother nature is relentless and cruel.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Lawman 0 posted:

That's a bad idea right?

I’ve been itching to do this myself, it’s just been calling me after visiting the top via railway last year… I’ll be on the east coast all of July 4th week if you want a hiking partner! I’m also considering just doing Franconia ridge loop as my second option to get my fill of the whites.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

liz posted:

I’ve been itching to do this myself, it’s just been calling me after visiting the top via railway last year… I’ll be on the east coast all of July 4th week if you want a hiking partner! I’m also considering just doing Franconia ridge loop as my second option to get my fill of the whites.

I'm going on vacation somewhere else that week but I appreciate the offer.

Verman posted:

I have to assume if you can get to a trailhead, you probably did enough research to know the length etc and prepared accordingly. From there, you're on your own. Obviously there are always those who don't but it's an impossible task to take care of everybody and you can't be responsible for them. I can't even imagine what park/forest rangers go through knowing the average human actively make terrible decisions putting themselves further into danger.

As for strangers, I don't know their savviness for the outdoors or their physical limits. Sometimes I see people and can guess they know what they're doing but you never know. I'll always help if needed and I'll chat people up along the way. Occasionally I'll give someone a heads up if it's obvious they're in over their heads or on an especially hard/dangerous hike without proper equipment. I have seen folks trying mountaineering routes without technical equipment (crampons/ice axe), continuing on through avalanche terrain when we turned back, trying sketchy water crossings, watching people scramble things they had no business doing.

Always carry the 10 essentials in some fashion. There are light versions and super in depth versions of every item but in a survival situation, the shittiest compass or flashlight and a bic lighter can be the difference between getting home and sleeping outside for eternity.

Yeah I was gonna make sure I had those and my kit in good order. I have poles and good hiking shoes the thing I probably need frankly is probably more appropriate clothing but I'll have to go and check if I had any good stuff lying around somewhere. I would appreciate any suggestions for that or any other equipment. :)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm going on vacation somewhere else that week but I appreciate the offer.

Yeah I was gonna make sure I had those and my kit in good order. I have poles and good hiking shoes the thing I probably need frankly is probably more appropriate clothing but I'll have to go and check if I had any good stuff lying around somewhere. I would appreciate any suggestions for that or any other equipment. :)

what is your budget and what do you specifically need? You can spend $20 or $texas on gear.

Pants - convertible to shorts hiking pants are worth it, otherwise some cheap cargo pants
shirts - athletic shirts are cheap, light, dry out insanely fast, and compressible
socks - smartwools or an equivalent are worth the money
underwear - exofficios or another type of purpose made synthetic are great
underarmor for thermal layers are very good, compressible, and very handy to have if it gets cold
coat - ideally a down jacket by like patagonia or whatever that can compress down in your pack but can keep you warm in near freezing temps, otherwise something waterproof and warm layers under it

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mountain warehouse was my go to for almost as good but a whole lot cheaper-tier pants and baselayers. Also odds and ends like dry bags and scree gaiters that are hard to gently caress up. I found their outerwear and packs to be way too heavy though but they can be cheap.

Most of my exterior gear comes from Columbia outlets because their raincoats, softshells, puffies, and windbreakers were good enough for the weight given my uses at a great price (50 bucks or less) but that's probably true for most semi-technical outlets.

Columbia PFG long sleeve shirts are the only brand specific item I'd search out because I've been using them for a decade+ at this point, but only ever at outlets for 20 bucks or less.

Socks are Costco brand all the way.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 21, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Where are you located/where are you planning to go?
What activity are you planning to do (day hikes, multi day backpacking etc)?
What do you currently have/what do you need?

Honestly day hiking clothing is pretty easy. Unless you're in the desert, avoid cotton. Wool and synthetics are your friend. For wool, Merino is the most comfortable. With synthetics, you still want to check their fabric makeup because a lot of them, especially pants, sneak cotton into the mix for comfort (kuhl I'm looking at you).

Synthetic shirts are so cheap now. I have my preferred brands but anything that won't absorb water and sweat is fantastic. Same with pants. Converting hiking pants are great and it's not like you need a dozen pairs. You can find them very inexpensive tjmaxx/Amazon/Costco/Columbia, or splurge on really nice, better fitting pants like prana Zions. I use Eddie Bauer convertible guide pants or prana Zion pants. Patagonia trail 9 shorts is the only short I hike in summer.

Socks are very important. I only step got into the outdoors with wool socks. Darn tough are my absolute favorite but they're not cheap. Good thing is they'll replace them for life if you wear them out. I also have some Costco wool hiking socks. They're super cheap for Merino wool socks and do the job although there a little tall for my liking during summer hikes. You might want several pairs of socks in various heights/weights.

Underwear, similar to shirts, avoid cotton. I also vouch for exofficio. 100% the best synthetic underwear I've ever used and I don't know how they do it. Also, not cheap but buy them on sale and stock up. You can go cheaper with literally any other brand. Costco has 32° synthetics which are very cheap and work great.

Mid layers. This is the true clutch layer that will make the difference in cold weather when coupled with a base layer and outer layer. A fleece shirt/jacket is a staple of mine. Full zip for easy removal and I like pockets. I use Eddie Bauer full zip fleece shirts but

Outerwear comes down to the season you're in, the weather at hand and where you're going, plus the activity you're doing.

My typical hike consists of pants/shorts, wool socks (height and weight depending on weather), tech tee shirt, long sleeve fleece shirt, light down jacket (Eddie Bauer cirrus lite 650). I can sit on a cold, windy mountain top in that. I'll adjust depending on the season or weather if it's colder but I'll bring that to almost any hike besides super hot summer hikes. I'm in the cascades so I can get up to high elevation mountains with permanent snow.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone I'll look out for apparel.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

REI sales are are great. I got a patagonia pullover that is normally like $200 for like $95 cause someone returned it and im a bigger (shrinking fast) guy. expensive as hell to be honest but god drat does it work. i can wear just it over a t shirt in the winter down to like 30 degrees and be comfortable, add in anything more substantial underneath and im toasty unless its truly brutal out.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

REI sales are are great. I got a patagonia pullover that is normally like $200 for like $95 cause someone returned it and im a bigger (shrinking fast) guy. expensive as hell to be honest but god drat does it work. i can wear just it over a t shirt in the winter down to like 30 degrees and be comfortable, add in anything more substantial underneath and im toasty unless its truly brutal out.

Yeah I got some booties, shoes and wool socks this year from them and they have been great

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I went for a hike today

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nooner posted:

I went for a hike today

hell yeah

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

whats the latest hotness on smartphone apps for downloading hiking maps? I use something called 'maps 3d' that i've used for years, and it's fine i guess? it feels like every app i've used for ten years is fine for a while, then starts putting things behind paywalls even if you've already paid.

i'm perfectly happy paying for apps and things, just as long as, you know, they don't keep making me pay over and over

anyone have something they wanna push?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I pay for OnX Backcountry which I have come to really appreciate, but I'm curious if someone has experience with it and other apps and can provide a comparison (as I haven't tried anything else.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wickerman posted:

I pay for OnX Backcountry which I have come to really appreciate, but I'm curious if someone has experience with it and other apps and can provide a comparison (as I haven't tried anything else.)

I pay for OnX hunt, which i imagine is similar, and it's great, but also Garmin Earthmate seems to have a lot of the info i value most from OnX, but in much smaller download package (because no satellite imagery). I get the Earthmate content with my Garmin inReach subscription, idk what you can get with it for free but I know it also gets your location just fine without the inReach.

Things both have:
Topo info
Public land vs private
Trails, most of the time

Things that OnX has that Earthmate is missing:
More comprehensive library of random fire and logging roads, gates, campsites, trailheads, landmarks, peak names
More detail on land ownership (useful for dispersed camping and bushwacking in my area, tells you if it's BLM or FS or staye or else who owns it, and some timber companies allow recreation and some don't)
Satellite imagery - useful sometimes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gaia GPS will get you pretty much every PD layer there is. Or Avenza if your local agencies publish official maps there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Gaia is the one that wanted me to start paying for things i had already paid for :(

i really liked it, i backcountry hike a lot and having satellite overlays of maps and able to upload .kml layers was aces, but i got mad when they switched to subscriptions after i had supposedly "paid" for the app in whole years ago

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Gaia is wired up into the Outside ecosystem now, for better or worse, though I think they’ve always been subscription based? I don’t mind the OnX offering, but it feels like you can get a lot of that for free from CalTopo or similar. I imagine if you are a hunter or do overlanding it would be more attractive. But since I primarily backpack, hike, and fly fish, I really dig the NatGeo map layers you get with Gaia. That said, an awful lot of iNfLuEncErS seem to use OnX so, YMMV.

I also use AllTrails (free version) an awful lot to get beta on the places I decide I want to go to. For example right now it’s extremely valuable to determine whether or not there are impassible snow drifts on the way to wherever.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

what is this FarOut app about? I see it referenced in guides for long distance trails; i get the impression it's not for me, but idk?

waffle enthusiast posted:

Gaia is wired up into the Outside ecosystem now, for better or worse, though I think they’ve always been subscription based? I don’t mind the OnX offering, but it feels like you can get a lot of that for free from CalTopo or similar. I imagine if you are a hunter or do overlanding it would be more attractive. But since I primarily backpack, hike, and fly fish, I really dig the NatGeo map layers you get with Gaia. That said, an awful lot of iNfLuEncErS seem to use OnX so, YMMV.

I also use AllTrails (free version) an awful lot to get beta on the places I decide I want to go to. For example right now it’s extremely valuable to determine whether or not there are impassible snow drifts on the way to wherever.
yeah it was when they got hooked up with Outside that i was asked to pay for things i got for free with my "purchase" of the app. i bought it ~10 years ago

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everything is subscription now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Everything is subscription now.

Avenza is the least annoying of them. At least for the US you can get the government generated topo maps for free with no hassle.

But I tend to lean on Map Plus for my phone stuff (no subscription, one time fee). It's definitely the manual mega nerd do it yourself though. But but it can import shapefiles and you can draw a polygon to download topo maps for offline use, open street map has pretty a decent topo product. It also does gps logging and field edits. But again, it's the DIY tool.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I use OsmAnd. It's paid and confusing but very robust. You can use it for driving too.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I’ve got a subscription to Topo Maps+. Has a bunch of Topo maps and you can share stuff with friends if they also have the app. I don’t do crazy long trips so it works well enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

whats the latest hotness on smartphone apps for downloading hiking maps? Anyone have something they wanna push?

Depends on your usage, I'm in Washington, so we're blessed with our own app, WTA. I get most of my utility from WTA or all trails. I have Gaia, avenza and cal topo as well.

Usually WTA/all trails for recent trip reports, and Gaia for any maps and recording a track. I have an actual Garmin gps as well but I don't always use it. They're so clunky now compared to a mobile app with touch screens.

Anyway, i went on another evening hike today. On the drive out it was 84° and bluebird sky. As I left the pavement, it dropped significantly, 75, then 65, down to 55° at the trailhead, and it looked like it just rained. I was in shorts and a tee shirt so I grabbed a puffy and my spare rain shell in my car. It was short but pretty nice. 6 miles RT and 2k vert. Fun hike, I passed a few people on their way out but had the peak all to myself. Didn't see anybody on my way out. It was cold and windy up top, guessing it was 40-50s. Right as I was leaving the sun popped out and I grabbed as photo of Mt Stuart.