Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'd download a car.

But I won't dive to the bottom of the ocean in a dollar store submersible, I tell you hwat.

God, I'm reticent to get on certain carnival rides because I think they look shoddy and are an accident waiting to happen, let alone an entire loving submarine (that also looks shoddy and like an accident waiting to happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Where's the nutty putty guy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just think about how happy the insurance companies are that they won't have to pay out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i think there's a real market that's not being catered to here

Taylor Swift fans could pay 6 figgies for the premium experience of being in a suspended sealed tube mere feet away from her live in concert

or just as a meet and greet even

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Seriously though,

No billionaire deserves to die like a destitute Pakistani laborer in the U.A.E.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Seriously though,

No billionaire deserves to die like a destitute Pakistani laborer in the U.A.E.

last thoughts of the Pakistani billionaire on board I'm sure

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

biznatchio posted:

Whoever's taking a poo poo at the time gets a 5,800 PSI powerwashing of their face.

Hell's bidet

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Pakistani billionaire’s 19 year old son is on board. loving 19, basically still a kid.

The amount of joy some folks are taking in peoples (potentially live) suffering in this thread is a bit scary, including how I’ve been joining in and doing it as well.

Grown-rear end adults winning Darwin awards can be quite funny, but I feel sad for that kid, and if people are actively suffering painfully, I feel sad for them too.

I just don't think it's a good allocation of public resources to recover 5 human pancakes from the ocean floor. These people knowingly went to sea in a non-seaworthy vessel. They knew what they were doing and the danger they put themselves in. Why should MY tax money ... wait, gently caress, that's my billionaire talking points about the 400 drowned refugees near Greece. Nevermind, I got mixed up.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Apparently they are picking up banging sounds in 30 minute intervals on sonar

So I guess they didn’t get pancaked

I mean I'd probably be horny af in their situation too but it seems like a poor use of oxygen

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

i think there's a real market that's not being catered to here

Taylor Swift fans could pay 6 figgies for the premium experience of being in a suspended sealed tube mere feet away from her live in concert

or just as a meet and greet even

I'd be cool with sealing up anyone in a death sub that uses the term figgies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'd be cool with sealing up anyone in a death sub that uses the term figgies

you'll have to go through at least one mod

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I hope they brought figgie newtons

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Hell's bidet

Wrong end, too.

The port hole should have been under the $50 camp potty.

They just really didn't get anything right when they designed the damned thing.

Tsk.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

tudabee posted:

maybe the ultrarich could have touched grass rather than venture into places incompatible with human existence just to gawk at a century-old tomb

Why just gawk at the tomb when you can be a part of it! Living history~~~

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

feverish and oversexed posted:

I too believe it was the orcas.

Comrade Orca <3

It was clearly a shark.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Do we know the time the sub was launched? There seems to be conflicting reports about how much oxygen is left (assuming the sub is still in one piece..), some outlets say they have less than 24 hours left

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

you'll have to go through at least one mod

Hey that's not a threat, you'd probably live!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also I can virtually hear the keyboard clacking all the b-to-d-level horror movies being scribed right now and am very excited to see the rash of them in a few years.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

It's worse: the dipshit CEO decided to make the sub out of carbon fibers because NASA but not only is this apparently a miserable material for high pressure environments, when it does fail to pressure it does so quickly, catastrophically, and shatters rather than bending or cracking. So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.
All I'm hearing is we finally found a humane peer-reviewed method of execution worthy of the finest high-net-worth individuals. But in order to make sure it's kept to the highest standards, it should be done in a controlled environment inside a pressurized tank and televised in 4k resolution.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

:five:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Grey Cat posted:

I hope they brought figgie newtons

Some interview somewhere said that your “snacks” for the trip are a water bottle and a sandwich, Fyre it up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Titan:_Or,_Futility

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

quote:

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

The announcement also stated that “the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre is working to find an underwater remote-operated vehicle through partner organizations to possibly assist.” Previous reports on the search for the missing submersible have stated that the Navy’s manned rescue craft can only descend about 2,000 feet underwater, and that if the divers were discovered closer to the approximate 13,000 foot depth of the Titanic wreckage, an underwater drone, or remote-operated vehicle, would be necessary to reach them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/popbase/status/1671413386163396609?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I mean, she's right. Thanks for weighing in, Nicki

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's correct, call off the search immediately.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Not wanting to be shown up in rich guy thrill tourism, Jeff Bezos makes a dong shaped submersible with a set of balls to personally teabag the Titanic.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, just saw this wild thing that didn't really make sense to me but I'm not an oceanographer or whatever. If that thing is at the bottom of the ocean you ain't never getting it up because...apparently lifting something like that requires you to counteract the force of the ENTIRE loving OCEAN pressing down on it?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Do we know the time the sub was launched? There seems to be conflicting reports about how much oxygen is left (assuming the sub is still in one piece..), some outlets say they have less than 24 hours left

It's kind of a moot point, isn't it? Unless they find it floating on the surface, I don't think any rescue could reach and recover them from the sea floor in time for it to matter.

Edit: as an example, the Pisces III recuse took days, and that happened in much shallower water with a better fix on the sunken sub's location.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 21, 2023

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Love to get instantly reduced to atoms by my own hubris.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

wont someone please think of the billionaires

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Grem posted:

So, just saw this wild thing that didn't really make sense to me but I'm not an oceanographer or whatever. If that thing is at the bottom of the ocean you ain't never getting it up because...apparently lifting something like that requires you to counteract the force of the ENTIRE loving OCEAN pressing down on it?

It's been a minute since I last did fluid dynamics but I think that's kind of a moot point because that pressure is hitting it from all sides. Like the force of the ocean is pushing up from below as well as down from above.

The main issue is that there's very few vehicles in the world capable of getting down that far and those that can are built for making videos for scientists rather than carrying heavy tubes filled with people.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I get there's a teenage kid on board, but being solemn about it wouldn't be doing any favors to him or anybody on acknowledging the reality that he got murdered by his dad, the person who invited him on board an untested death submarine because it was made by his buddy, all born out of the hubris that comes from being rich.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

It's kind of a moot point, isn't it? Unless they find it floating on the surface, I don't think any rescue could reach and recover them from the sea floor in time for it to matter.

Edit: as an example, the Pisces III recuse took days and that happened in much shallower water with a better fix on the sunken sub's location.

Typical. The poor man's mind succumbs to defeatism and settles for his lot. The billionaire's mind on the other hand looks for solutions and realizes that if 5 people can survive for 96h, then 1 person alone can survive for 480h, more than enough time to be rescued.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh, word? I thought they had an infinite supply of oxygen left.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They can always just fart more air :pseudo:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sydin posted:

Oh, word? I thought they had an infinite supply of oxygen left.

Look, they have money, i'm not seeing the problem here. They should just order some more from amazon or something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Just like in the Kursk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
You'd hope their gruesome deaths would save some lives in the future, but honestly I would be shocked if this doesn't end up spiking interest in ocean floor tourist trap poo poo.