Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nuurd posted:

I have been buying more regional whiskey here lately in East Tennessee. Some of it isn’t stellar and I just want to try it and support the local guys. However, I’m really liking the Chattanooga Whiskey offerings.

We buy Chattanooga Whiskey over in West Tennessee, too. Jack Daniels can gently caress right off, though.

Bought a bottle of Laphroig 10 year as a present to myself…was going to get Quarter Cask but my local had 1L Bailey’s (for morning coffee with my pipe) for $23 and I got the cheaper Laphroig to stay under budget. I’d never had the 10 year, but it’s really good. The smoke is a bit less pronounced, but the briny taste really pops with an ice cube in a rocks glass. I still like QC better, but I’m happy with my purchases all around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I reported a while ago that Rittenhouse was hard to find, but it looks like they’re in stock again at my local BevMo. Thanks to everyone who suggested substitutes. I got Sazerac in the meantime because I figured I could also make Sazeracs with it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Last night I went to a tasting of M&H, one of the first distilleries in, of all places, Israel. Bunch of talk about climate, losing a shitton to evaporation, etc

The Classic Bourbon & STR Cask matured 46% was described as a pretty standard whisky and, yup, pretty standard, very little to talk about.

They have an elements line in which we tried red wine cask, sherry cask, and peated, all the same 46%. Honestly, despite loving peaty Scotch, I preferred the other two, both had a very sweet nose and not terribly burny, while the peated just didn't stand out at all.

Then there was the Arts and Crafts doppelbock haaretz doppelbock beer cask matured 58.3%. Holy poo poo this was gorgeous, rich, a long slow burn that really lasted. I loved this one a lot.

Finally, Apex Fortified Red Wine Port-Style Red Wine cask matured 60.4%. I liked it, and honestly it reminded me more of scotch than the peated elements, but wasn't my favorite.

Overall, by far I loved the arts and crafts, quite liked two of the elements, and it was a great time. Never heard of Israeli whisky before.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

Never heard of Israeli whisky before.

Sounds like it’s for good reason.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

That M&H Elements Sherry Cask recently won world's best single malt. I know a lot of whisky fans couldn't give a rat's rear end about awards but WWA is relatively well-respected, at least in the industry.

https://www.worldwhiskiesawards.com/winner-whisky/whisky/2023/worlds-best-single-malt-43632-world-whiskies-awards-2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

That M&H Elements Sherry Cask recently won world's best single malt. I know a lot of whisky fans couldn't give a rat's rear end about awards but WWA is relatively well-respected, at least in the industry.

https://www.worldwhiskiesawards.com/winner-whisky/whisky/2023/worlds-best-single-malt-43632-world-whiskies-awards-2023

Honestly that just confirms that industry awards are a load of poo poo. M&H is a very decent single malt, but world's best? Hell no! Not by a long shot. Absolutely ridiculous.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In the case of WWA, and virtually all other spirits competitions, it simply means "World's Best" of the bottles that were entered that particular year. Companies with well-established brands are much less likely to enter those competitions.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Steve Yun posted:

I reported a while ago that Rittenhouse was hard to find, but it looks like they’re in stock again at my local BevMo. Thanks to everyone who suggested substitutes. I got Sazerac in the meantime because I figured I could also make Sazeracs with it

FWIW I like Sazerac a lot more than Rittenhouse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can still find Rittenhouse but I haven't seen Sazerac in my area in well over a decade.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jehde posted:

I would have no qualms with buying store-brand Crown Royal. As a Canadian, Crown Royal is a standard, but it's like soda, store-brand soda is fine.

Damnit, I don't check this thread often enough to answer on time, but: yes. Crown Royal is probably best mixed with Coke (exception: Northern Harvest. That's actually decent, and also works better with ginger ale).

Better than the Hiram Walker's Special Old I bought. My curiosity finally got the better of me because I like the design of the bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just don't bother with Canadian whisky in general, because as a category it has some hosed up laws that dilutes (both figuratively and literally) the reputation of the whole category. The issue being that Canadian whisky can have unaged neutral grain alcohol blended in. And that's just sad.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I just don't bother with Canadian whisky in general, because as a category it has some hosed up laws that dilutes (both figuratively and literally) the reputation of the whole category. The issue being that Canadian whisky can have unaged neutral grain alcohol blended in. And that's just sad.

Is there a legit reason why this would be the case other than someone just made a bad decision?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is there a legit reason why this would be the case other than someone just made a bad decision?

There isn't nearly as much of a "whisky culture" in Canada. Most of the people I know who drink whisky do it because it's cheap and a good mixer. Those who appreciate it are limited and would rather stick with other whisky because those at least have a market -- like, if I'm spending at least $50 on a bottle of scotch, it should at least have something going for it. It's growing somewhat, but since it takes a lot of start-up capital to make a good distillery, there isn't much effort.

Hell, if I ever see advertising for whisky here, it's usually because it's a party and you can mix it. Or it's the "it's what your dad drank" and they show low-level Wiser's over some ice. That's it.

My other guess as to why there's little effort into what's made here is that historically, the established Canadian distillers never had to put in effort. Unlike Irish whiskey, Canadian whisky skyrocketed during Prohibition because of bootlegging and distillers saw that they had a massive demand without needing to distinguish themselves, and that cultural foothold stuck. Why demand stricter standards if business is solid?

Also maybe the climate has something to do with aging? I don't know.

spankmeister posted:

I'm not surprised and don't blame you, for all the reasons said above. You're right for that reason, but that's also why I'm trying to put in effort to find some decent stuff. There's a lot of hidden gems that end up being pretty good for its price point. Not like they're ever the greatest, but in terms of price you can find something that's unique. Like, I can't think of anything that's similar to Forty Creek Copper Pot. It just has this feel of chocolate that I don't get from anything else. I don't mean "notes of chocolate", but an actual separate feel and texture.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Anyone who's interested in seeing what Canadian whiskey can actually be like when it's done well should check out Found North.

You can get it from most online shops, it's pricey, but comparably aged bourbon or scotch will usually run you much more. I've enjoyed every bottle I've gotten of it, including 2 barrel picks (blends they finish in a single barrel)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the strength of Canadian whiskies are the ryes. Lot 40 makes a great 100% rye that's my go to for that.

Canadian Whisky is just barely regulated bourbon barely aged in uncharred barrels. I've grown a taste for it over the years, with it being ever-present here, but it's not a type of whisky I seek out.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jehde posted:

Yeah the strength of Canadian whiskies are the ryes. Lot 40 makes a great 100% rye that's my go to for that.

Canadian Whisky is just barely regulated bourbon barely aged in uncharred barrels. I've grown a taste for it over the years, with it being ever-present here, but it's not a type of whisky I seek out.

Yep, the ones that lean into the rye mash are much better. Without it, they're usually bland and don't do much.

I like Lot No. 40 Dark Oak, but honestly (and I know I'm repeating myself here) Crown Royal Northern Harvest did what it did but cheaper.

I was going to say that if the LCBO does another round of free-shipping-if-over-$250, but then I remembered you can just get an order shipped to your local store, so once I finish my 3-day exam at the end of the month I'll try to delve into other less-known local whiskies. If anyone has any recommendations or requests, let me know. Tax season is over and my regular profit sharing still might not be going to a vacation, so I'm game.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Tried Whistlepig 12-Year Old World and despite being like double the price of Whistlepig 10-year at $149, I actually enjoy the 10-year much more. It's already so fruity and the 12-year's finish in port, French, and Madeira wine casks makes it smell amazing but for my taste it just doesn't need it. Until trying this one I hadn't yet tasted a whiskey that is actually less preferable than cheaper offerings in the same product line.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Friend of mine drinks mainly makers 46 but is open to other stuff, he's doing me a favor and I'd love to get him a thank you bottle, any recs on what might be a nice upgrade bottle to enjoy?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Makers cask strength or one of their fun experimental finish bottles.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
In addition to those, Maker's did a 46 cask strength a couple years ago, I don't know if it's still around but that seems like an obvious choice and was somewhere around $60-65 then. A bunch of stores around me (middle TN) just got their Maker's store picks as well, those tend to be fun and unique; the prices around here are about $70-75. For non-Maker's stuff, Penelope Architect is finished with French oak like 46, that's probably also around $60. I feel like past those, you're starting to get into allocated stuff in terms of nicer wheated bourbons.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Carillon posted:

Friend of mine drinks mainly makers 46 but is open to other stuff, he's doing me a favor and I'd love to get him a thank you bottle, any recs on what might be a nice upgrade bottle to enjoy?

Maker's basically only has the single mashbill. So, to stay in the same house, you'd get the Cask Strength, or the wood finishing series (which just ended, and BEP was released, but I'd recommend BRT-2 if you can find it). If they dig wheated, you could go look for one of the Larceny Barrel Proof releases. The last year or so of them have been really tremendous for the price.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
There are also store picks relatively easy to find where the store picks the staves that it is finished in, similar to the finishing series except a single barrel

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
If they're not signed up for the MM ambassador program, sign them up and get some personalized barware. Then after their barrel matures in a few years, they can go get a bottle with their name on it and dip it in the red wax.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Not sure what kind of thread this is, but I felt compelled to briefly report my (whisk(e)y novice) first trip to a distillery in Wales, (Penderyn) where I had a great time and got mildly wasted.
Then upon returning home, I grabbed the Killbeggan I found lying around at a friend's, put it in my new fancy tasting glass and; well well well, lots of cereal and creamy mouth feels going on here :smuggo:
Looking for some others to try as well.

In short; had a great time, love whisk(e)y now, Killbeggan surprisingly ok, even if it's apparently cheap.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:sickos: yessss another one. Welcome to the fold.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As it happens, just had a glass of Penderyn last night, it was good :v:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Thank you! I like drinking old, magic, fiery grain-water now.
And yes I found Penderyn very nice and approachable.

The great thing (one of them anyway) about the tour was we got samples of the "cask progenitors", as is the term that I have just made up.
so their main aging casks come from the buffalo trace distillery, so we got to try BT, followed by their single malt, then we tried some madeira, followed by their madeira finished single malt...etc. Which from a novices perspective was very eye opening to how varied whisky can be and why.

I will delve more deeply and greedily into some bourbons as time goes on, because the buffalo was very nice, if perhaps a bit like sucking on a plank of wood.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Update; I got a Glenfiddich 12 year...I heard it's good and will not hurt me

Update. It was indeed good and weirdly oily(?)

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2023

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
Is there a better smoky whiskey than laphroaig quarter cask around the same price? It's my current go-to but I'm curious to try others and it feels bad to buy a whole nother bottle for a bunch of money and have a worse whiskey on my shelf for a couple months until I finish it.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Miles Blundell posted:

Is there a better smoky whiskey than laphroaig quarter cask around the same price? It's my current go-to but I'm curious to try others and it feels bad to buy a whole nother bottle for a bunch of money and have a worse whiskey on my shelf for a couple months until I finish it.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my go-to less expensive peaty whisky but I'll admit I bought a case a few years ago when a local place had it for $45/bottle so no clue what it costs now compared to QC

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Miles Blundell posted:

Pricing is always hard to gauge when you're in a different market, people itc often assume US market but there are lots of goons not from the US!

Also, "better" is subjective. Sure some whiskies are objectively better quality than others but it's still hard to say if you'll like a specific whisky or not without knowing what it is you like about the Laphroaig.

Those things being said, I would recommend checking out Ledaig 10. It's one of the best value peated scotches out there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Me and my friends drank a bottle of Green Label over the weekend. One friend sends us a photo of his own liquor haul on Monday and he bought another bottle of Green Label. The most he's tried before was Double Black, and he prefers blended to single malt. Feels great lol

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I usually enjoy Larceny, Tin Cup and Four Roses. Am I a scrub? Am I just a baby who likes stuff with heavy caramel flavors?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's okay to like things, or not like things.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Lily Catts posted:

Me and my friends drank a bottle of Green Label over the weekend. One friend sends us a photo of his own liquor haul on Monday and he bought another bottle of Green Label. The most he's tried before was Double Black, and he prefers blended to single malt. Feels great lol

Blended Malt is fun, though I like a bit of grain in my blend for mixing purposes.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I'm mostly a bourbon drinker with limited scotch experience, so I wanted to give scotch another try but I'm not sure where to start. I do know I'm not a fan of super smoky/peaty scotches (I tried the Nick Offerman Lagavulin once and didn't really like it) and I did a little research this time around so I figure Islay scotches are probably not my thing, but I tried Glenlivet 12 and it was almost too much in the opposite direction and seemed a little thin. I've read a bit about Glenmorangie 10 and Johnny Walker Black being good for beginners, but does anyone have any other suggestions for mostly inexpensive scotches (maybe $40-60 while I'm still learning my preferences) that might be a little more full-bodied than the Glenlivet? Thanks!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Black is a good all rounder. Glenmorangie is very light so I wouldn’t recommend it given your other comments.

In that range I really like Bunnhahabhain. It’s an Islay but much milder than Laga.

Highland Park, Oban, Balvenie are all good and frequently recommended.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I'm mostly a bourbon drinker with limited scotch experience, so I wanted to give scotch another try but I'm not sure where to start. I do know I'm not a fan of super smoky/peaty scotches (I tried the Nick Offerman Lagavulin once and didn't really like it) and I did a little research this time around so I figure Islay scotches are probably not my thing, but I tried Glenlivet 12 and it was almost too much in the opposite direction and seemed a little thin. I've read a bit about Glenmorangie 10 and Johnny Walker Black being good for beginners, but does anyone have any other suggestions for mostly inexpensive scotches (maybe $40-60 while I'm still learning my preferences) that might be a little more full-bodied than the Glenlivet? Thanks!

In that price range I'd try Jura 10.

Scythe posted:

Black is a good all rounder. Glenmorangie is very light so I wouldn’t recommend it given your other comments.

In that range I really like Bunnhahabhain. It’s an Islay but much milder than Laga.

Highland Park, Oban, Balvenie are all good and frequently recommended.

They are, but I haven't seen any of them in his price range.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah fair enough. I think I see HP and especially Balvenie in that range but it’s been a while since I bought either. Oban was probably wishful thinking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
If they're common enough brands then I can always try them at a bar or restaurant, but I'm deep in American whiskey/bourbon country so most of the shelf space around here is dedicated to those. I'll keep an eye out for those, though.