Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tiggum posted:

The first time I ever lived without a microwave I made the amazing discovery that they're not even that good for reheating stuff. Especially not the way most people do it: 2 minutes on high so you get really hot bits and bits that are still cold. If you use the lower power settings and a longer time you get better results, but still not as good as if you'd used a stove or oven - and then it's not even any quicker.

The one advantage is that you can reheat stuff without paying attention to it. You can put your food in the microwave and walk away. It is more convenient in that way. But that's still not a good enough reason to own a microwave.

Do they make microwaves out of easy bake ovens in Australia? 2 minutes in any microwave I have access to would literally destroy my food with heat. I microwaved a single burger in a container for 45 seconds and it was so goddamn hot it had to sit for a bit before I could even eat it. I haven't encountered the uneven heating problem since I was a teenager in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mycomancy posted:

Do they make microwaves out of easy bake ovens in Australia? 2 minutes in any microwave I have access to would literally destroy my food with heat. I microwaved a single burger in a container for 45 seconds and it was so goddamn hot it had to sit for a bit before I could even eat it. I haven't encountered the uneven heating problem since I was a teenager in the 90s.

It's inherent to how microwaves heat things that there will be hot and cold spots. It's also true that microwaves come in different wattages, and countries supply different voltages.

Fun nerdery: you can use the hot-spot standing-wave characteristic of microwave heating to calculate the speed of light using a microwave and a bar of chocolate

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
kerbal submarine program

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brimruk posted:

if this was happening in my town I’d be minecrafting so loving hard

Word?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BonHair posted:

I have it on good authority that actually corporations are people, so it makes sense to give them the vote. This also increases the democracy by having more voters

Matthew iglesias chubbing like crazy and not knowing why

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Have the rights to the Titanic sub disaster site (and story) been sold yet?

I hope the owners tee up the guy who did Force Majeure and Triangle of Sadness for the film adaption.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
i feel bad for the kid

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BonHair posted:

I have it on good authority that actually corporations are people, so it makes sense to give them the vote. This also increases the democracy by having more voters

Robert Reich posted:

I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

my dad posted:

kerbal submarine program

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fun nerdery: you can use the hot-spot standing-wave characteristic of microwave heating to calculate the speed of light using a microwave and a bar of chocolate

no fuckin' way. how

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

my dad posted:

i feel bad for the kid

I heard the other billionaires son invited him to the blink concert and the dawood kid said blink was “gay” so good riddance tbh

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's inherent to how microwaves heat things that there will be hot and cold spots. It's also true that microwaves come in different wattages, and countries supply different voltages.

what, that’s really cool.

quote:

The distance between the melted areas is half the wavelength of the microwaves or the distance between the antinodes. So, from this simple experiment, and some easy math, you can work out the speed of light!

huh cool

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i just use google

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Weatherman posted:

no fuckin' way. how

C=f * lambda , baby

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wVxzNam93OCMiTq

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Microwaving corn in the husk is better than boiling, yw.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just shove it up my rear end, gonna end up there anyway

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
country goons make do

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

lol, lmao

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I should probably be more glad about a bunch of rich assholes being compressed into marbles by a force more powerful than their hubris, but my mind just goes back to the thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people left to die in the Meditteranean to keep them out of fortress Europe.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

my dad posted:

I should probably be more glad about a bunch of rich assholes being compressed into marbles by a force more powerful than their hubris, but my mind just goes back to the thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people left to die in the Meditteranean to keep them out of fortress Europe.

and it keeps reminding me just how loving stupid the EU is at bombing the ME for uncle sam even from a capitalist pov

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not. Stop assigning to political incompetence what you should assign to political malice instead. The EU is part of an imperial project that ruined the places these people come from, grew wealthy on the plunder, present and historical, and which counts on despair of people taking on enormous risk to reach better material conditions for life. Every child that drowns pays out significant dividends to those hiring the terrified mothers who barely got their own children across and would do anything to avoid having to make that trip again.

my dad has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Jun 21, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

my dad posted:

It's not. Stop assigning to political incompetence what you should assign to political malice instead. The EU is part of an imperial project that ruined the places these people come from, grew wealthy on the plunder, present and historical, and which counts on despair of people taking on enormous risk to reach better material conditions for life. Every child that drowns pays out significant dividends to those hiring the terrified mothers who barely got their own children across and would do anything to avoid having to make that trip again.

God I love capitalism. I can literally make money off of killing babies, in the name of freedom. What a great system.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Geshtal posted:

Great, now all I have to do is create and register more LLCs than there are actual voters and every election is mine without having to spend a cent! Thanks, Delaware!

Partner with a lawyer that knows how to get that poo poo registered, elect yourselves to run the city, and then raise your salaries to unsustainable levels in order to bankrupt the town and run everyone off.

Repeat until capitalism is dead.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/20/business/california-restaurant-fake-priest-fine/index.html

Doesn't seem like a lot of money considering what laws they broke

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

So weird that the Catholic Church isn't coming down hard on this. I wonder how much they donated?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

So weird that the Catholic Church isn't coming down hard on this. I wonder how much they donated?

Why would the catholic church come down hard on a fake priest when they don't even come down hard on real priests

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tiggum posted:

The first time I ever lived without a microwave I made the amazing discovery that they're not even that good for reheating stuff
Things I use my microwave for:
Warming butter when I forgot to leave it at room temperature the night before
Warming a buttermilk/water mixture when I'm making bread
Thawing ground beef/lamb/whatever when I'm making something out of it
Warming chili, bolognese, and other things I make in massive batches and then freeze
Yes, the occasional microwaved Indian dinner

When you need to get something from fridge/freezer temp to room temp fast, the microwave is the way to go.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Why would the catholic church come down hard on a fake priest when they don't even come down hard on real priests

Yeah the church is more down with making priests come hard.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Biplane posted:

Yeah the church is more down with making priests come hard.

:popclap:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

Don't want someone else moving in on their territory?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Warming chili, bolognese, and other things I make in massive batches and then freeze

When you need to get something from fridge/freezer temp to room temp fast, the microwave is the way to go.

its really good for making tea u just throw a teabag into a mug of water and zap it for a few minutes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

The restaurant owner has been moved to a different franchise

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I lived without a microwave for several years and never really felt like I missed it, just put leftovers in a toaster oven (which I guess takes up the same space as a microwave so pros/cons there). However I will say now that I'm back to having a microwave, I have noticed that it heats up leftover meat (particularly slowcooked/smoked/bbq style dishes) much better than an oven, cause it hits that sweet spot of warming it up enough without drying it out super easily.

It's convenient-ish for leftovers in general but still kind of the lazy and lesser option for most stuff. However, when I have a big ol hunk of leftover pulled pork or brisket or such a short time on small portions (to put in a bun afterwards) is simply better than any other method I've tried reheating them with. I guess the key here is not trying to cook something but simply warm it back up.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just quickly reheat leftovers in a frying pan on the stove, works for most things

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Owning a frying pan in 2023 is peak techbro vapelord poo poo.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
? it doesnt even have LEDs or anything

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

I should probably be more glad about a bunch of rich assholes being compressed into marbles by a force more powerful than their hubris,

Not necessarily, they still be alive and stewing in their own sweat and piss at this very moment.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

quote:

A Canadian aircraft searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the divers disappeared, according to internal email updates sent by the Department of Homeland Security’s National Operations Center obtained by Rolling Stone.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not necessarily, they still be alive and stewing in their own sweat and piss at this very moment.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

Orcas trying to bust open the tube to get at the tinned meat inside.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I feel bad for the guys and I hope this leads to commercial private submarines being banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm glorying in their certain demise.