Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

People are getting fired from my firm all the way around me at my just a few months old new baby job. Some of them are very good people who do great work and just got caught in the arm of the big ol' sweep to remove any trace of a former executive's hires. I am just sort of waiting and have decided, I'm fully licensed now and I have proven that I can survive things far worse. This is fine. The building is still on fire but at least I'm working from home.

But hey no, for real, I passed the third finance hell exam today so I get a break for a few months to sort my life out and move cross country. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Just found out my manager who I’ve had for nearly 6 years who leaves me the gently caress alone and doesn’t micromanage is retiring at the end of August. Her replacement is a well known micromanager. Guess I’ve got my notice to get my resume together.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

20 Blunts posted:

the willingness of local governments, and from there 501c3s/community orgs/mission based groups to just dump money on events and videography and even podcast production is pretty crazy

I begged funds for a go pro and thought that was being a bit extra. Lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

The last job I left desperately wanted me to stay so I did the exit interview explicitly to make it clear that I didn’t want to work there anymore because they were a loving awful company run by assholes.

There’s a really good dick sucking factory joke in here somewhere but I’m just not seeing it

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Volmarias posted:

I know you don't want to talk too much about your industry to avoid identifying yourself but with each passing post it really sounds more and more like what you sell is "protection" from "accidents" or something jfc.

when Barudak talks about selling less what they really mean is more *draws finger across throat*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I promise it is a normal industry and that I have never directly killed anyone.

By the way, Yakuza aren't all illegal under Japanese law. The broad umbrella term for criminal organizations in Japan who can actually be punished by law is "Anti-Social Forces" which is frankly badass.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Barudak posted:

By the way, Yakuza aren't all illegal under Japanese law. The broad umbrella term for criminal organizations in Japan who can actually be punished by law is "Anti-Social Forces" which is frankly badass.

We are a humble neighborhood organization, with a side hustle in real-estate, all perfectly above board. No I don't know why most of my employees have such kickass tatoos.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A "perfectly legitimate business" you might say?

If you sell too much, do they cut off a knuckle?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Have you ever indirectly killed someone?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

According to Butterfly Effect theory, haven't we all? :smug:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Smart poo poo your work does: We somehow managed to take a meeting that could have been an email and turn it into an email, cancelling the meeting.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

the willingness of local governments, and from there 501c3s/community orgs/mission based groups to just dump money on events and videography and even podcast production is pretty crazy

Our equipment is purchased with something called the divca fund. It's designed to be used by public, education, and government tv stations to buy equipment. It's from the franchise fee that is levied by the cable companies.in California. We usually get in the low six figures a year from it. The catch is that it can only be used for equipment. My boss is the one that wants this new camera, I think it's a waste of money. Funny thing is after I told her about it, she asked if we could still use it for interviews. So she wants us to to put a gimbled camera designed for action shots on a tripod. Then again she wanted to get a professional drone for us, the only reason we didn't was the cost of training someone. That someone would have been the same guy that trashed the camera. And all this is for a newscast that gets about 400 views in a week.

I would like to move away, but my girlfriend works for the federal government and she would have to go someplace they have an office.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

When you get extremely specific about the language you use to describe a thing it pretty much 100% means you did the thing.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

diremonk posted:

Our equipment is purchased with something called the divca fund. … The catch is that it can only be used for equipment.

I wish the DIVCA funds would pay for the guy who yeeted the camera into the river to become a certified Steadicam operator so your social media interviews could be shot exclusively with tracking shots.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Kibayasu posted:

When you get extremely specific about the language you use to describe a thing it pretty much 100% means you did the thing.

Came here to post this.

:thunk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Anti-Social Forces sounds like what some rich suburban kids would name their rap crew

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Barudak posted:

When we got bought by a Japanese competitor, the most noticeable change in the mandatory yearly anti-bribery training was the specific inclusion of an item about not making payments to "anti-social organisations" and not buying "literature" from them. That latter is apparently how protection money is being disguised.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Barudak, do some people in your office wear lapel pins with a crest? Are any family crests anywhere?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

One time during a slow day at work I took an hour long class on Japanese microaggressions. I do not speak Japanese, but my internal records now show that I am fully qualified to deal with microaggressions in Japanese.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

One time during a slow day at work I took an hour long class on Japanese microaggressions. I do not speak Japanese, but my internal records now show that I am fully qualified to deal with microaggressions in Japanese.

Baka gaijin.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

McGavin posted:

Baka gaijin.

Good afternoon to you too good sir.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly killed anyone

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This does not mean I'm going to stop calling out Barudak's bizzare opposite-world video game opinions. :colbert:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Kibayasu posted:

"John McAfee has never been convicted of rape and murder, but—crucially—not in the same way that you or I have never been convicted of rape or murder."

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

TaurusTorus posted:

When we got bought out by a Japanese company there was an optional course on “Japanese business culture” and I did it on a boring Friday. It’s tough to remember the specifics but it really felt like school level fluff: gift giving, bowing, naming. I still put it on my accomplishments for that year.

Us grunts don’t interact with the Japanese parent at all so it was wasted on me, however whenever some c-suite talks about their recent trip-to or visit-from Japanese big bosses they always add the -san honorific, so I guess it worked for them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RocketMermaid posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: I have never directly killed anyone

Lol

:nice:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I had someone refer to me as Barudak-tono and I had to look up what that meant, but I can't lie it absolutely made my day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Someone has started throwing experimental AI/LLM-generated legal observations at us. They seem both relevant and coherent so obviously our management are now a bit panicked and working out how we can make them stop.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

TaurusTorus posted:

Calling it microaggressions just because they tend to be shorter seems pretty rude.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

DRINK ME posted:

When we got bought out by a Japanese company there was an optional course on “Japanese business culture” and I did it on a boring Friday. It’s tough to remember the specifics but it really felt like school level fluff: gift giving, bowing, naming. I still put it on my accomplishments for that year.

Us grunts don’t interact with the Japanese parent at all so it was wasted on me, however whenever some c-suite talks about their recent trip-to or visit-from Japanese big bosses they always add the -san honorific, so I guess it worked for them.

I remember a guy who always used san when talking about the Japanese guy in our multi company project. He got promoted to c-suite, so that checks out.

Afterwards he kept using san whenever possible, which was very embarrassing when was introducing him to Jason the famous (in our field) Scotsman of Korean descent.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Barudak posted:

I had someone refer to me as Barudak-tono and I had to look up what that meant, but I can't lie it absolutely made my day.

*googles it*

Wikipedia posted:

Tono (殿 との), pronounced -dono (どの) when attached to a name, roughly means "lord" or "master". It does not equate noble status. Rather it is a term akin to "milord" or French "monseigneur" or Portuguese/Spanish/Italian "don", and lies below -sama in level of respect.

Huh.

How many chickens in your company?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of my coworkers spent four months working with a team redesigning a long standing product. First they tried to turn an aluminum construction into a hardened rubber design, that got rejected by everyone that was consulted due to the heat constraints. OK, so we'll change it to a welded and brazed design similar to what is already in service on both programs. Well, the engineering team wasn't happy that the only vendor to say they would be interested still stipulated they would need to send pieces out for some of the operations needed. This is completely normal and usually not a problem, but Engineering decided to pitch a fit despite having exactly nothing to do with source selection. They then went to a casting and my coworker went to three different vendors who came back with weight estimates way above expectations and planned on using the vendor Engineering had just rejected to weld and machine pieces.

As of last week the engineers went back to the weld-and-braze. This morning a complete stop work was issued on both products. Someone higher up in the company found out this was happening and decided it made no sense to redesign something just because it hadn't been reworked in a long time.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I don't know about Japanese law, but "I was under orders to sell less by any means necessary" is not a very solid defence

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Darkest Auer posted:

I don't know about Japanese law, but "I was under orders to sell less by any means necessary" is not a very solid defence

This would make an absolutely fantastic episode of Law and Order.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

"The trap wasn't fatal! All he had to do was not pay, if he paid, he died! You have to believe me!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Okay, so Barudak is obviously in the Yakuza on Bizzaro world, running an anti-protection racket where he pays to freshen up wrecked businesses.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Multiple games in the Yakuza/Like a Dragon franchise have sidequests that allow the player to do just that

I therefore choose to believe that Kazuma Kiryu is real and good friends with Barudak

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
How about a quarterly meeting where it's announced we had hired almost 50 new employees in the first quarter of the year, and more than 50 had quit. Substandard pay and benefits for the industry, and no chance of improvement until the collective bargaining agreement expires in three years. Good luck. The place has been in the news in the past, its only a matter of time before its in the news again.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

"hey come to this exciting Friday meeting, we have tons of news, also we're going to announce that we fired your boss."

Hooray I've been unable to talk about this for an entire week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Randy Travesty posted:

"hey come to this exciting Friday meeting, we have tons of news, also we're going to announce that we fired your boss."

Hooray I've been unable to talk about this for an entire week.

:toot:

Congrats on the regicide