Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think the only thing that's guaranteed is that the poor soldiers near the front of that trench needed a change of pants. "lmao, they're sending a T-55 at us???? pop that sucker and lets watch the fireworks." And then suddenly the world goes white and a chunk of tank the size of a dog whips past your ear and cuts a tree in half. I think that sort of experience would make everyone need a sit-down, a strong drink and a few days off the front to come to terms with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Sounds like an artillery officer all right.

Joking aside, when I was a cadet it was pretty much known that the Artillery branch often took people who were pretty low on the OML and had weak grades. I thought it was odd because the Artillery Officer Basic Course was one of the few that had any real academic rigor. Lots of math, etc.--it was one of the only Officer Basic Courses where people actually could fail.

Armor on the other hand was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I feel like while artillery has plenty of math, there's a lot less decision making and threat analysis in that branch (unless you're FO) compared to armor or infantry.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PurpleXVI posted:

I think that sort of experience would make everyone need a sit-down, a strong drink and a few days off the front to come to terms with everything.

In my experience your target exploding leads to a lot of hootin' and hollerin'.

CEASE FIRE, BITCH!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Joking aside, when I was a cadet it was pretty much known that the Artillery branch often took people who were pretty low on the OML and had weak grades. I thought it was odd because the Artillery Officer Basic Course was one of the few that had any real academic rigor. Lots of math, etc.--it was one of the only Officer Basic Courses where people actually could fail.

Armor on the other hand was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

Yeah it was where folks who wanted to go combat arms but couldn't get infantry or armor wound up.

God help you if you wound up in the Chemical Corps.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Re: desensitization chat, I know gently caress all about violence or the military. But fields which regularly deal with damage to the human body (EMTs, surgeons, nurses, etc) have higher rates of death by suicide in part* because desensitization to bodily harm is one of the psychological enablers for actually making and carrying out a suicide plan. You have to be used to that kind of damage before you can think about doing it to yourself.

So if you're desensitized to that stuff, be careful and kind to your brain, remember that mentally healthy people never think about harming themselves even an incidental way, and if you start having those thoughts step back and look at your circumstances and see if you're falling into a bad spot.

*other parts include, of course, stress, trauma, bad working conditions, etc etc

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't find much combat footage hard to watch, because to my thinking there is a delineation of whose in the game and who isn't. Violence, brutality, and horror is part of the profession- seeing 4k Go Pro to me is like watching fight tapes for boxers (which I've probably said a dozen times over the years here). I get visceral reactions from abuses on the people who aren't players. That trench video is no different than room clearing with no furniture and better lighting. I look at close combat is close combat, the only things different to the dance is the beat of the music. I look for what I can learn, try and put myself in the shoes of every person in the footage but I'm an obvious beacon of mental health. (E- conscripts aren't professionals, but if you are gonna dress for the game, you're a player)

That said- take a break if you need to. I had to because I was getting obsessive with so much to watch. I did the same thing with Syria footage, and cartel footage. It's a compulsion.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rust Martialis posted:

Sounds like an artillery officer all right.

Promotions for the whole squad!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

Yeah it was where folks who wanted to go combat arms but couldn't get infantry or armor wound up.

I will never forget the moment from my last deployment when I witnessed a young 2LT in the BN FDC receiving his first call for fire. His face lit up and he started sprinting around the TOC like an 8-year old who had just unwrapped a PS5 on Christmas morning. "Hooray, I'm in combat!"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Unless you've got a legitimate professional need to be looking at that stuff, and some sort of support system to help you deal with it, I really don't think there's any point watching videos like that. That's not a moral judgement, rather a practical one. Whether it seems like it or not at the time that poo poo is all just damage accruing with no positive trade-off.

Yeah, I used to do disaster response and one of the things people said as a mantra was "only look at what you need to see." Both literally and metaphorically in terms of what you seek out. I think it's important to acknowledge that this kind of poo poo is happening, and to some degree there's value in having it be accessible so people can understand what Call of Duty leaves out. But at the same time, in my opinion unless you have a specific reason you need to view that stuff it's better to let it go, and that's likewise not a moral sense but a practical one. You don't know which video is going to be the one that stays with you in ways that are unhelpful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

God help you if you wound up in the Chemical Corps.

I know someone who used the Chemical Corps perfectly.

Enlisted around 2002-ish, same as me. I met him in Baqubah in 2004 the first week we were there doing handover, and he was an NBC E-4. I also saw him the last week we were there before we left, and he was an E-6.

Dude enlisted in a star MOS that he knew sucked so that he could get max bonus, make E-6 as fast as possible, then reclass after his first term. Top-tier "they're using you so use them"

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

GD_American posted:

I know someone who used the Chemical Corps perfectly.

Enlisted around 2002-ish, same as me. I met him in Baqubah in 2004 the first week we were there doing handover, and he was an NBC E-4. I also saw him the last week we were there before we left, and he was an E-6.

Dude enlisted in a star MOS that he knew sucked so that he could get max bonus, make E-6 as fast as possible, then reclass after his first term. Top-tier "they're using you so use them"

When I was the XO for a company, my NBC NCO was a superstar. Moved to the US from Mexico and started his own business installing satellite dishes. Joined the Army when they raised the age of enlistment during one of the surges. I met him as an E4 filling an E5 billet and when I left he was an E6 fast tracking as hard as he could. His NBC shop was so squared away it was amazing. Sensitive item inventories were a breeze with him.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TheWeedNumber posted:

Ok so maybe that particular video had blurring but the one I saw was not blurred at all. I straight up clearly saw what was happening. And the reason it stuck out to me is I just do not have that exposure to this footage.
I can't recall ever having been phased by non-gory combat footage. If you're otherwise engaging the world with empathy (or an approximation thereof) and it's not manifesting negatively in your thoughts or behaviors, maybe just chalk it up to being wired a little differently :shrug:

But absolutely talk with your therapist about your non-response if you're concerned about it. If nothing else, it might offer a data point that'll connect some dots and help them help you better navigate your life.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Appapros, a buddy who is in the Infantry watched the trench video and responded.
"Goddamn"
"That was actually hard to watch"

My response was simple- "That's combat."

I won't say it's a positive thing, but I do think people seeing this kind of footage is important, because it's real easy to forget that these are people, not endlessly respawning enemy being mowed down by a Nukem esque hero. These are people, and even if you live, it comes at a cost.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really don't think it is important for people to see, at least not through the medium of random social media sharing.

I think there are people who don't care, or at least aren't particularly thoughtful, about the actual cost to the fighters, who I don't think they will gain any sort of enlightenment from seeing footage of it. And there are people who have a baseline functioning level of empathy who aren't going to want to go looking for it because they already know that war is horrible and horrifying.

If anything I think the former are more likely to be watching it specifically because they don't functionally empathise with the people on screen, and it forms just another detached aspect of the entertaining spectacle. Which goes hand in hand with the ubiquitous hardbass soundtracks.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 21, 2023

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This is starting to sound like circle jerking about being desensitized to violence which is dumb as hell. Shocking that a subforum full of vets has members that have seen folks die.

We don’t need armchair quarterback breakdowns of how anyone would have handled clearing trenches of Russian soldiers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah new topic please

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hekk posted:

This is starting to sound like circle jerking about being desensitized to violence which is dumb as hell. Shocking that a subforum full of vets has members that have seen folks die.

We don’t need armchair quarterback breakdowns of how anyone would have handled clearing trenches of Russian soldiers.

While it’s good that you are heading off things at the pass, your assessment is wrong. Topic change is still warranted and I appreciate your vigilance to ensure it doesn’t turn into said circle jerk.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Ukraine using a Ford truck to haul a M777, naturally turn it into an ad
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1671178598881869824

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Suicide Watch posted:

Ukraine using a Ford truck to haul a M777, naturally turn it into an ad
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1671178598881869824

ngl I was wondering how guns like that shoot and scoot. Now I know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1671254472591376384

uncle pennybags has found another billion for you under the seat cushion

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do wonder how much of that is the value of a M113 going from 'as new' when the US wants to highlight how much its doing to 'scrap value' when the gifting is done and the Pentagon can be more honest about what was going to happen to it otherwise.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BigRoman posted:

Not trying to call you out, but where did you get that particular stat regarding the 2nd largest customer base for the nazi store. I'm not sure I want to end up on some government watch list for trying to google the answer.

He probably just read it on twitter somewhere and didn't stop to think "how would that twitter user know this information?" because it was convenient for him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kith posted:

It does good for them. Pay or no, the work has been burning them out. I will miss the information that they share, but I am happy for them realizing the way of the knife.

hey now you can't use sword logic in here, this is the war room

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Alchenar posted:

I do wonder how much of that is the value of a M113 going from 'as new' when the US wants to highlight how much its doing to 'scrap value' when the gifting is done and the Pentagon can be more honest about what was going to happen to it otherwise.

I was surprised when I heard that M113's were being sent to Ukraine, I remember hearing of them as basically tracked coffins at some point. Was that someone who had no idea what they were talking about?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I was surprised when I heard that M113's were being sent to Ukraine, I remember hearing of them as basically tracked coffins at some point. Was that someone who had no idea what they were talking about?

I mean, an M113 is better than nothing, in the grand scheme of things. They're better than a HMMWV for stopping shrapnel and small arms, even if they're way worse than other newer platforms for mechanized infantry. Though, an RPG will make short work of anything without reactive armor or some sort of stuff like Dorchester/Chobham.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 21, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's a simple box on tracks with enough armour to stop small arms and most shrapnel you'd encounter while ferrying troops around. There's a reason it has endured for so long in so many variants and in such huge quantities.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

I mean, an M113 is better than nothing, in the grand scheme of things. They're better than a HMMWV for stopping shrapnel and small arms, even if they're way worse than other newer platforms for mechanized infantry. Though, an RPG will make short work of anything without reactive armor or some sort of stuff like Dorchester/Chobham.

Careful, you'll summon Mike Sparks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Careful, you'll summon Mike Sparks.

None of the M113s we gave the Ukrainians can fly though

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

yet

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

In lighter news.

https://twitter.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1671365500087959554

We finally have an explanation for Putin's super-long meeting tables. It's to avoid getting too close to another man and having the Russian social media sphere explode into accusations of crypto-homoeroticism.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Weed that video is literally less visceral than virtually any movie or game depicting the same thing, it's honestly not that surprising that you didnt feel much reaction to it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

If ever there was a people who would kitbash a M113 into a flying vehicle with shitloads of kontakt armor on it, its the Ukranians.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is a M113 worse than a technical, or a "plain ole car" though? They seem to use those a fair bit. Even if you can't shrug off RPGs in em, isn't an M113 an upgrade to an ordinary ute?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Is a M113 worse than a technical, or a "plain ole car" though? They seem to use those a fair bit. Even if you can't shrug off RPGs in em, isn't an M113 an upgrade to an ordinary ute?

If you're getting shot at by small arms, mortars and artillery, or plowing through mud, an M113 is leagues ahead of a civilian vehicle.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Honestly surprised we have not seen kitbashed Ukrainian Gavins with mortars or BMP turrets.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Blistex posted:

Honestly surprised we have not seen kitbashed Ukrainian Gavins with mortars or BMP turrets.

Haven't we given them mortar carriers?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blistex posted:

People there usually do that with MT-LBs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

If you're getting shot at by small arms, mortars and artillery, or plowing through mud, an M113 is leagues ahead of a civilian vehicle.

Much like the point the milhist thread occasionally returns to when discussing the German arsenal across WW2, a poo poo vehicle that is proof against small arms and fragments is always better than no vehicle that is proof against those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Blistex posted:

I could have sworn there was one with some little old Soviet-style turret (Like from a BTR or something similar) mounted in it that showed up last summer/fall.