Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Charliegrs posted:

Either that or he just honestly doesn't care what he says since he's depending on Judge Cannon to get him off the hook.

I think if he was that certain that he was going to skate he'd be more relaxed and able to deflect questions rather than flop around pathetically as he did in the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Charliegrs posted:

Either that or he just honestly doesn't care what he says since he's depending on Judge Cannon to get him off the hook.

I mean, it seems pretty dumb to rely on Cannon's last resort career-ruining move of tossing the case out during jeopardy.

He *should* be shutting the gently caress up, not doing interviews about this, and letting his attorneys handle things to try to drag it out as long as possible to give him a chance to regain the presidency.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hope he dies soon.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

deoju posted:

This guy used to be a regular on Maddow and Olbermann during the Obama admin. When did he decide it was more lucrative to chud it up?

i think he went mask off for the kavanaugh confirmation (though presumably the turning point was sometime before that). then he was the republican's star impeachment witness like a year later lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

That would explain courtroom behavior, but not behavior on TV, which is extremely unlikely to have any impact at all on the case. He's not going on Fox News to practice his legal arguments, he's going up there to convince the base that they should vote for him next year.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Even if Trump never faces any fair or proportional consequences it does me some good just to know he is loving squirming.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GlyphGryph posted:

And at the same time it turns out the head of the DOJ was not actually slow walking a bunch of trump crime investigation but openly running interference for him and going out of their way to avoid prosecuting him, letting him get away with far more serious crimes until he basically forced their hand. Gee, its almost is of our institutions have been thoroughly corrupted!

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/06/garland-doj-resisted-investigating-trump-january-6

The conservatives are right in that our system has a blatantly partisan tilt, but like most things they are "right" about they are actually upset because its not worse.

Well, at least we can say that the house investigation of 1/6 mattered:

quote:

When the DOJ finally began investigating the fake elector scheme in early 2022, the bipartisan House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack was already conducting its own inquiry into top Trump officials and allies. The Post quoted a person familiar with internal DOJ discussions who “felt as though the department was reacting to the House committee’s work as well as heightened media coverage and commentary,” drawing attention to the scheme. “Only after they were embarrassed did they start looking,” the person said.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I don't know much about this stuff, but I just heard that Cannon is the judge for Trump's classified documents trial. Does that mean the trial is effectively over? Is there any recourse left?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Travic posted:

So I don't know much about this stuff, but I just heard that Cannon is the judge for Trump's classified documents trial. Does that mean the trial is effectively over? Is there any recourse left?

No, it depends entirely on how shameless she is. If she tries to thread the needle to have a veneer of legitimacy then the DoJ will have plenty of recourse. But she could just say "gently caress it, not enough evidence, case is dismissed" and depending on how she does it its not appealable in a way that allows them to convict Trump.

She absolutely ignored the rules for Trump, but at the same time she didn't *entirely* flip the metaphorical table, so there's a decent chance she'll just try to gently caress with the trial in a way that gives them recourse.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Related to the Georgia election interference probe:

Georgia poll workers accused in Trump-backed conspiracy theories cleared of election fraud allegations

quote:

Allegations of election fraud against two Georgia election workers who became the subjects of a Trump-backed conspiracy theory in the aftermath of the 2020 election were found to be "false and unsubstantiated," according to an investigative report released Tuesday by the Georgia Elections Board.

Ruby Freeman and her daughter, Wandrea "Shaye" Moss, both former election workers from Fulton County, faced threats of violence from conspiracy theorists after their election-night conduct on a polling place livestream proliferated online among right-wing election deniers who believed Donald Trump won the 2020 election.

In one video clip, online commentators accused Freeman of handling a suitcase of fraudulent or stolen ballots.

"The suitcases they claim we had were issued ballot boxes that we use every election," Moss explained on an episode of ABC News' IMPACT x Nightline last November.

Another clip showed Freeman handing her daughter a small item, imperceptible on the grainy livestream footage, that led some online commentators to accuse the two of exchanging a USB drive, which was allegedly meant to somehow manipulate votes. Freeman said it was just ginger mints that she kept in her purse.

The following week, Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, appeared before a committee of the Georgia state legislature to advocate for their intervention in the electoral college certification -- and told the legislators that a video circulating online showed "Ruby Freeman and Shaye Freeman Moss ... quite obviously surreptitiously passing around USB ports, as if they're vials of heroin or cocaine."

Testifying last year in the House select committee's Jan. 6 hearings, Freeman said, "I've lost my name and I've lost my reputation, I've lost my sense of security, all because a group of people starting with No. 45 and his ally Rudy Giuliani decided to scapegoat me and my daughter Shaye, to push their own lies about how the presidential election was stolen."

Freeman told ABC News' Terry Moran that she subsequently received so much harassment from conspiracy theorists that she was forced to pack up and leave the suburban Atlanta home where she lived for 20 years.

As part of their probe, Georgia Elections Board investigators interviewed a social media user who "admitted he created a fake account and confirmed the content that was posted on the account was fake," the new report said.

"We are glad the State Election Board finally put this issue to rest," Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said in a statement following the release of the report.

"False claims and knowingly false allegations made against these election workers have done tremendous harm," Raffensperger said. "Election workers deserve our praise for being on the front lines."

This was one of the excuses Trump gave for his interference, so it clears that defense off the table.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charliegrs posted:

Even if we're presuming her acquitting from the bench is plausibly likely, which I disagree with, the more he runs his mouth the worse it would look for her to do that and the more she's going to have second thoughts about cementing herself in history as the worst federal judge of the 2020s.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Deteriorata posted:

Georgia poll workers accused in Trump-backed conspiracy theories cleared of election fraud allegations

This was one of the excuses Trump gave for his interference, so it clears that defense off the table.

I wonder if they have a case for defamation. This caused devastating damage to their lives and careers; they should absolutely be compensated by Rudy Giuliani.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
For the Hunter thing, the two tiered justice system also decided that what's her face GOP candidate / Meadows assistant who was signing as someone else and recording contributions as business expenses, maximum 5yr felony charge... Probation. (Lynda Bennet, oh look at the terrible justice dept making deals and recommending probation https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/08/politics/lynda-bennett-illegal-campaign-contribution-guilty/index.html good for you but not for me etc.).

eke out posted:

the government could literally play some of these tapes to a jury to show his knowledge of the documents. you might reasonably argue that these statements can only hurt him
They gave him enough to go spew even more admission of his crimes.
https://youtu.be/2GgqhJUSHIQ

mutata posted:

I hope he dies soon.
I don't. That's not justice. (Not responding to you personally, I see this comment a lot online, you were just the closest to the quote button.)

ppps Every time I watch a clip of T, which I try to avoid, it borders on Caine Mutiny levels of paranoia: "assumed command of an extremely sloppy, badly handled ship... an unreliable and disloyal officer... opposed me from the very first... My unreliable helmsman failed...". Just endlessly blaming everyone else.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2023

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Infowars sidekick to Alex Jones is changing to a guilty plea for 1/6.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1671156131471970308

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

cool but poll workers even in blue places are feeling stressed and attacked.

reminder to try to get a poll worker job so a chud doesnt get it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump goes on TV to discuss his legal case and rehearses an impressive amount of contradictory excuses in just under 2 minutes.

- "I never had those documents."

- "I already mentally declassified them when I was President."

- "If they were really still classified, then why did I have them? That would be illegal."

- "Actually, I did have those documents. But, they were mine to take."

- "I don't know if there were documents there or not. I think they were just magazines and newspapers and any documents were planted."

- "There never were any documents and they are just persecuting me for totally made up stuff."

- "Yeah, I did have some. But, Biden and Pence had way more. Why aren't they are in jail? It's all persecution of me."

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1670919463837769729

My favorite was "that was not a document".

Before I was president, no one even knew what a document even was. I invented the idea of a document and classified the greatest documents in all of history like no one has ever seen before. I put them right there next to all of my magazines, an many people have never heard of magazines but I invented those too and put them next to those things many people are saying were documents.

It's all very unfair

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 21, 2023

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I got a poll worker job for the last full election and I also worked the runoff (Georgia). Turns out the county had recruited local high school kids to work too. Those poor kids had no idea what they were risking. In a sane world I think it’s a great idea. Right now, no way.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Travic posted:

This was argued a bit a few pages back. There are things that Cannon can and might do that would impede the prosecution's case in various ways, but she cannot simply gavel-down and declare "case dismissed" without possibility of appeal _until_ one of two things happens:

a) A jury trial begins and the jury has been officially sworn in, at which point acquittal-from-the-bench would be final for these particular offenses, or
b) A bench trial begins, which has no jury and in which the judge acts as the fact-finder and verdict-declarer.

Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure states that if the defendant is entitled to a jury trial, which is pretty much every federal criminal case, the trial must be by jury unless: (1) the defendant waives a jury trial in writing; (2) the government consents; and (3) the court approves. So Cannon should not be able to simply declare a bench trial by fiat, even if she'd want to, without the prosecution agreeing to it.

And we're a fairly long way off from the actual trial beginning, so there's lots of time for this saga to be theorized and for mental legal garments to be rent asunder.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I don't. That's not justice. (Not responding to you personally, I see this comment a lot online, you were just the closest to the quote button.)

Fair enough. The US penal system has never been in the business of delivering justice, though.

So yeah, I can't wait for the orange man to loving die. It won't fix anything, but I will have a good day that day.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ryde posted:

No, it depends entirely on how shameless she is. If she tries to thread the needle to have a veneer of legitimacy then the DoJ will have plenty of recourse. But she could just say "gently caress it, not enough evidence, case is dismissed" and depending on how she does it its not appealable in a way that allows them to convict Trump.

She absolutely ignored the rules for Trump, but at the same time she didn't *entirely* flip the metaphorical table, so there's a decent chance she'll just try to gently caress with the trial in a way that gives them recourse.

delfin posted:

This was argued a bit a few pages back. There are things that Cannon can and might do that would impede the prosecution's case in various ways, but she cannot simply gavel-down and declare "case dismissed" without possibility of appeal _until_ one of two things happens:

a) A jury trial begins and the jury has been officially sworn in, at which point acquittal-from-the-bench would be final for these particular offenses, or
b) A bench trial begins, which has no jury and in which the judge acts as the fact-finder and verdict-declarer.

Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure states that if the defendant is entitled to a jury trial, which is pretty much every federal criminal case, the trial must be by jury unless: (1) the defendant waives a jury trial in writing; (2) the government consents; and (3) the court approves. So Cannon should not be able to simply declare a bench trial by fiat, even if she'd want to, without the prosecution agreeing to it.

And we're a fairly long way off from the actual trial beginning, so there's lots of time for this saga to be theorized and for mental legal garments to be rent asunder.

Oh. Ok. :smith: Thank you for answering my question. It sounds like she either waits until the jury is sworn in then dismisses or rules all the evidence in the case is inadmissible. I mean I get that she might show restraint, but...yeah.

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 21, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It turns out that appointing entirely servile judges to legalize your crimes and then "randomly" always having those judges handle your cases is really helpful who knew.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He, for some reason, decided that the first one went well and is doing it again.

"Will be interviewed, Part 2, by Bret Baier, tonight at 6:00 on FoxNews. Great reviews from part 1, last night. Enjoy!"

Normally he would post any interviews he does onto TS, but the first one was non existent because he looked like a total rear end.

e: oh wait, time zones, there should be clips out now

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1671281485876166657

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 21, 2023

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PhazonLink posted:

cool but poll workers even in blue places are feeling stressed and attacked.

reminder to try to get a poll worker job so a chud doesnt get it.

I work the polls, it's honestly a pretty chill time mostly and it's something to do that isn't doomscroll! Honestly around here the chuds don't seem to have much patience for actually being officers of election, considering it's a 15-hour shift and you have to help everyone vote, even those people, but I'm happy to make sure they don't have a spot nonetheless.

I can say that even in the lowest-stakes elections, everyone is loving pissed and nobody has any chill at all, but especially old-rear end white Republican men who throw tantrums when informed that they only have Democratic primaries to vote in.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OgNar posted:

He, for some reason, decided that the first one went well and is doing it again.

"Will be interviewed, Part 2, by Bret Baier, tonight at 6:00 on FoxNews. Great reviews from part 1, last night. Enjoy!"

Normally he would post any interviews he does onto TS, but the first one was non existent because he looked like a total rear end.

Lol pretty funny how he can't take credit for the one good thing his administration did (greenlighting project warp speed).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I also strongly recommend working the polls at least once. It sucks but in an illuminating and rewarding way.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OgNar posted:

for some reason

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Quorum posted:

.... but especially old-rear end white Republican men who throw tantrums when informed that they only have Democratic primaries to vote in.

ah yes i love those people. like you tell them every time to change their party reg.

and
they (still)
dont
do
it

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes i love those people. like you tell them every time to change their party reg.

and
they (still)
dont
do
it

They ain’t onna them thar Demon-rats and never will be.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
At what point will we hear the recordings in the indictment? I don't doubt the text, I just want to hear it with my own ears.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember when Cartoon Network had those artist post Mooninite LED placards around Boston and it caused a bomb scare? The guys' lawyer told them not to talk about the case so after the arraignment they had a press conference about 70s haircuts. Of course, considering Trump's hair he would probably incriminate himself doing that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Another tiny piece of the same interview. Not related to the classified documents case, but still pretty amazing. I just watched all of it that Fox has up on their website and every answer from Trump was pretty wild during the entire thing.

https://twitter.com/KateSullivanDC/status/1671289320152375297

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The second part to that answer is pretty incredible too:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1671287492044025858

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well, he's right about lesser countries like the UK pushing drugs on them.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Open endorsement of Communist fascism on Fox News? Yeah it's fine I'm sure this leopard doesn't plan on eating MY face

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Im going to be completely honest. This probably says more about me than him and he might be reading off a card he was just handed by whomever the new Bannon is or whatever but still:

I did not expect former President Donald J Trump to have analysis of the Opium Wars.

E: to be clear i dont either like i dont know... anything

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

projecthalaxy posted:

Im going to be completely honest. This probably says more about me than him and he might be reading off a card he was just handed by whomever the new Bannon is or whatever but still:

I did not expect former President Donald J Trump to have analysis of the Opium Wars.

Trump is old enough for it to have been more discussed, especially in his childhood with the rise of China and all of that post WWII.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"look, authoritarian countries just work better" says former president of the united states because he's tired of his lawyers telling him "no" to every little crime or scheme

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Travic posted:

Oh. Ok. :smith: Thank you for answering my question. It sounds like she either waits until the jury is sworn in then dismisses or rules all the evidence in the case is inadmissible. I mean I get that she might show restraint, but...yeah.

Not a law-talker so someone may very well be able to correct me on this. I don't see her throwing the case in a blatant "GOD EMPEROR TRUMP IS INNOCENT" manner. My crystal ball scrying is that Cannon will make the case entirely irrelevant by dicking around with the trial and loving over the prosecution on every single last possible tiny little ridiculous bullshit ticky tacky thing she can to drag the process out for more years than Trump is likely to continue to be alive, and long past the next election. Filing bullshit motions and arguing over imaginary interpretations of everything is Trump's legal strategy. I can only see that getting exponentially more effective when the referee is in your pocket.

In the end he would not suffer the consequences he deserves and the judiciary system would get to maintain the absurd fig leaf of legitimacy that it desperately clings to while supreme court members get bribed and overturn Roe v. Wade.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

projecthalaxy posted:

it's been coming up a bunch more recently because of china's role in the fentanyl and meth trade (specifically wrt the nearly unlimited supply of precursors coming out of china). it's not really a political issue yet but it probably will be in a couple of years at the current rate. trump's also always been pretty aware of china given they've always been his #1 enemy and his dipshit white nationalist advisors even more so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

"Analysis" is a bit of a strong word for it. It's just a fascist morality tale ("the thing I hate destroys the fabric of our nation and makes it vulnerable to foreign threats, so that's why we need to murder anyone vaguely related to it"), wrapped up in a vaguely* applicable** historical example because his handlers know better than to think he can pronounce "moral degeneration" without tripping over it.

* wildly incorrect, of course
** see above