Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah redeyes, this is a case where we all clearly want more shilling and self-promo from you :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK! I have literally no info up except a form for gauging interest. http://www.shortbusaudio.com

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

OK! I have literally no info up except a form for gauging interest. http://www.shortbusaudio.com

Im not gonna tell you how to run your business, but you should prolly change that name now rather than be publicly made to do it later

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 21, 2023

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Keep the name, I think it's great!
Let the posterior-ached ache their posteriors if they feel compelled to do so.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Cool to have a derogatory slur as a name for your business I guess

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dogen posted:

Cool to have a derogatory slur as a name for your business I guess

right wing chuds need iems too i guess

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Of course it's gonna be an old guard SA goon to combine the bespoke audio signature of a custom IEM with the unnecessary provocation of a redneck bumper sticker

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 21, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the real problem with the name is that it's uncomfortable enough to turn away decent people without being offensive enough to signal to chuds

it's really in that no man's land of slur branding

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol I remember you now

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=379#post526648788

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=379#post526680519

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=379#post526683763

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
CANCELLED!

There is an actual story behind the name which is I was ridiculed by the higher end iem people for along time, banned from chat rooms, etc. I figured why not start a brand of sorts were there is no ego involved. It's not a hateful thing. I can enjoy riding the shortbus. There are even albums with the same name I love.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 22, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
"There is no ego involved"

"I will not tweak the branding I ginned up, even if its guaranteed to alienate a ton of neurodivergent people, because I don't want to feel like I'm capitulating".

lol

Anyway I don't know if you know this OP but autistic people love IEMs so all people are saying is maybe branding that will make a core contingent of audio hobbyists feel like they are being made fun of in a 2003 episode of South Park is as unkind as it is fuckin stupid

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

walk into the headphones thread to look into higher-quality earbuds that I can run with and don't make Teams poo poo itself, walk out of the headphones thread because a goon is having a terrible idea

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I am absolutely oblivious to why people are kicking off itt.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

frytechnician posted:

I am absolutely oblivious to why people are kicking off itt.

According to Urban Dictionary, it's a derogatory way to refer to people with special needs. Can't say I've ever heard of it myself but agree it's not a great idea for a company name

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm reminded of the developer of the videogame now called Space Pirates And Zombies who had to have it explained to him by a Rock Paper Shotgun writer why they weren't going to cover a game called S.P.A.Z.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I see there is some drama here, but imma cut in and ask for headphone advice.

Im looking for a pair of gaming headphones. I primarily game on a laptop (a triton 500) which has tinny, crummy built in speakers that struggle to be heard over the fans. I have a HyperX cloud alpha gaming headset which is ok. Its not as clear as Id like, a bit heavy on the bass. Im looking for immersive gaming sound, but I dont need much isolation. Ive also had some pressure issues where the hyperX pushes on my glasses, its fairly heavy and has a tight band.

Ive also had the issue of blue screens on the triton 500 when trying to drive the hyperX. Tends to happen when I was using the mic with the headset, so the headset may have some electrical issues and/or there may be some issue with electrical isolation on the board.

Id like wireless headphones to avoid those board technical issues, but looking through the gaming headphone guide in the OP it looks like wireless aint a thing for nicer headphones.

Budget: $150 - $250 range
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Doc Fission posted:

walk into the headphones thread to look into higher-quality earbuds that I can run with and don't make Teams poo poo itself, walk out of the headphones thread because a goon is having a terrible idea

are you not entertained?!

101 posted:

According to Urban Dictionary, it's a derogatory way to refer to people with special needs. Can't say I've ever heard of it myself but agree it's not a great idea for a company name

In (most of?) the US, public schools have bus systems to bring kids to school. Kids with special needs often have their own dedicated buses. These buses look just like regular school buses but are shorter because they don't generally pick up very many kids. Saying someone "rides the short bus" implies they are intellectually challenged.

And there is your :goonsay: joke explanation of the day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg the charging situation with the OTE XM4s. The batteries last so long i barely think about it, but they seem to charge just fine with about any of my USB ports. But if they are turned off they don't seem to charge off anything. I usually have to turn them on, look for the red light, then I turn them off and they continue to charge. For the first time in the year or so I've had them, I actually let the battery run dead and nothing seems to charge them since they are turned off and I can't turn them on. Really annoying. Anyone else have this issue? I also have Sony Inzone H9s and they are basically the same headphones and they have absolutely none of these issues.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 23, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Assuming that means over the ear (WH-) then no. Ive run mine completely dry twice in the two months Ive had them and they charged just fine.

Edit: and holy cow I will never willingly get on an airplane without noise cancelling headphones again.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Reading back through the thread, Im thinking about the bluetooth amp / headphone route.

Someone recommended a fiio amp. A quick search found:

1. BTR3k - $70
2. BTR5-2021 - $110
3. BTR7 - $210

What am I getting for the extra cash with these amps?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Power, if youre not using the kind of crazy headphones audiophile Youtubers are obsessed with you dont need more than the BTR3 imo. Though the screen on the BTR5 is nice.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have an Hd58X that I like a lot. They work really well at max volume with my old phone (Galaxy s9) and not so great with my new phone (Galaxy A13, they don't get quite loud enough or strong enough). I think tube amps are cool, would it be a waste of money to buy something like this (https://fosiaudioshop.com/products/...s-fosi-audio-p2)?

I think I also want to get another pair of headphones in the future that may actually require an amp to sound good. Would this be well suited for that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thinking tube amps are cool is imo the one valid reason to buy a tube amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

I have an Hd58X that I like a lot. They work really well at max volume with my old phone (Galaxy s9) and not so great with my new phone (Galaxy A13, they don't get quite loud enough or strong enough). I think tube amps are cool, would it be a waste of money to buy something like this (https://fosiaudioshop.com/products/...s-fosi-audio-p2)?

I think I also want to get another pair of headphones in the future that may actually require an amp to sound good. Would this be well suited for that?

Just get a Darkvoice. Thats pretty much the only tube amp anybody truly needs. Add one to your stable and use it when you want to experience tubes, or sell it for ~$225 if you decide that tubes arent worth experiencing.

Down the road you might decide to buy a Willsenton/Cayin amp or build something like an Elekit, or maybe even buy something in the four figure range because youre collector scum or something like that, but the Darkvoice is basically the gold standard in terms of showing you what tubes are about and giving you a solid platform to dick around with

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just get a Darkvoice. That’s pretty much the only tube amp anybody truly “needs”. Add one to your stable and use it when you want to experience tubes, or sell it for ~$225 if you decide that tubes aren’t worth experiencing.

Down the road you might decide to buy a Willsenton/Cayin amp or build something like an Elekit, or maybe even buy something in the four figure range because you’re collector scum or something like that, but the Darkvoice is basically the gold standard in terms of showing you what tubes are about and giving you a solid platform to dick around with

To be completely honest, that's about double what I'd ideally like to spend on something that I'm getting mostly as a novelty. Anything decent under $100?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

To be completely honest, that's about double what I'd ideally like to spend on something that I'm getting mostly as a novelty. Anything decent under $100?

No, absolutely not. Get a used Darkvoice then if you want, but theres truly nothing on the market that would be worth your time or money beneath it on the cost scale

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dobbs_Head posted:

Reading back through the thread, I’m thinking about the bluetooth amp / headphone route.

Someone recommended a “fiio amp”. A quick search found:

1. BTR3k - $70
2. BTR5-2021 - $110
3. BTR7 - $210

What am I getting for the extra cash with these amps?

Qudelix 5k is another option worth looking at.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I have a pair of AKG K702's that I absolutely love. Is there a closed back headphone with a similar sound and maybe a little more bass? Price range is $400 or less I guess.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I have the 5k and the BTR7 and the 5k is smaller, has a clip, a super tweakable app but really stupid button layout while the BTR7 is much heavier and bulkier but has much longer battery, wireless charging and usable buttons along with a slightly inferior app. I'd say they sound about the same but my headphones aren't super demanding. Haven't used the BTR5 or 3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hi thread, I'm currently thinking about getting a pair of the Sony wh1000xm5 over ear cans. I had previously thought about the xm4 but like the more minimal headband more of the xm5 and the usb-c charging.

Any caveats or gotchas with these? And do they ever go on sale?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

They seem to be a little more touchy with how you fit them to your head, so it's possible you might have a hard time getting them to give you the ANC you're expecting. Otherwise you may want to play with the eq a bit in the app to turn down the 150-300Hz range a touch.

The caveat here is that ANC headphones and especially these will not reject water, so don't wear 'em in the rain. And usually Prime Day and other holidays.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arson Daily posted:

I have a pair of AKG K702's that I absolutely love. Is there a closed back headphone with a similar sound and maybe a little more bass? Price range is $400 or less I guess.

Honestly not really, but the K371 is probably the closest.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

They seem to be a little more touchy with how you fit them to your head, so it's possible you might have a hard time getting them to give you the ANC you're expecting. Otherwise you may want to play with the eq a bit in the app to turn down the 150-300Hz range a touch.

The caveat here is that ANC headphones and especially these will not reject water, so don't wear 'em in the rain. And usually Prime Day and other holidays.

I tried a demo pair on at best buy and was actually pleasantly surprised by the fit, I have a big head (steelseries fancy gaming headsets do NOT fit). Extremely comfortable and could barely feel them on.

Hm wondering if I can hold out for a couple weeks for prime. I plan on getting the blue.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Well alright then! That time with them will be more valuable than jerks on the internet; I think you'll like them if they fit your head well

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Mercury posted:

Well alright then! That time with them will be more valuable than jerks on the internet; I think you'll like them if they fit your head well

Always good insight if there are any issues with the bluetooth as well or other things, also did not know about the water so that is useful!

Just a shame iPhones don't support LDAC. I imagine they sound plenty good with AAC on bluetooth 5.2

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Truth is Fraunhofer has done a lot of magic so AAC along with its variants are a lot better than they were even a couple years ago. While the transfer rate isn't a sexy number, codecs are continually getting more creative with how they get higher quality audio to your ears. It's not a huge a gulf as it once was, which is why the audiophile rancor against the AirPods Max never really went far

AAC has better latency as well, so I truly think you won't really notice a huge difference over streaming in normal use

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the trouble with AAC is that the encoder quality is wildly variable across different source devices, with apples being the best and android being all over the place depending on the flavor

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

i think LDAC and the APTX family have a single reference encoder so they behave the same with any source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It can, but I think that article is using old data; most newer phones in the Android and iOS world aren't underpowering their BT radio to shave on battery life anymore, so they shouldn't have any issues with AAC. It's a complicated codec absolutely

Right about the LDAC though!